• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help needed figuring out Sarria start

S

sjf

Hi, I've booked my flights (yay!) and I'll be arriving at SCQ on Tuesday, October 10 at 3:20 pm. I don't have a lot of time for this camino so I'm only able to walk Sarria-Santiago before I have to get back home for work.

I'm trying to figure out my route and timing for the transfer between the airport and Sarria. I know I can take the bus to Lugo, then transfer to the Sarria bus. If I am reading correctly, it looks like I can catch the 16:10 bus from the airport, to arrive in Lugo at 18:05. From Lugo, I see a Sarria bus that leaves at 18:35, arrives at 19:05.

1) Is this the best way for me to transfer to Sarria to start my Camino?
2) Is there any way to get from SCQ to Sarria more quickly that will work with a flight arriving at 15:20? If so, what are the prices for other options?
3) if I will arrive at 19:05, should I pre-book my accommodations for the first night?

What I would really love to do is arrive at SCQ, transfer quickly to downtown Sarria, and begin walking. Is there any way this will be possible? I would love to walk for a couple of hours before finding a place to sleep, but I'm guessing this is not possible.

I am also considering booking an airport transfer from one of the hostels, checking in, visiting the cathedral, and then walking out and back for a few miles in the opposite direction, just to get a sense of what the camino is like before Sarria.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This has been discussed before. For example,
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...santiago-airport-to-sarria.13677/#post-538249
As far as I know, the only other faster option is an expensive taxi.
I understand your need to do as much as possible with your limited time; but believe me, it is much better to take it easy, and decompress from our hectic daily schedules.
I was in Sarria the first days of October, and lodging was no problem. I chose the Magdalena albergue, in a monastery; there were maybe 40 places, and we were only 4 pilgrims. If you want to reserve, a phone call will do it.
If you have some spare time, this short riverbank stroll seems very pleasant.
https://unplaninfinito.com/2015/04/12/paseo-das-aceas-sarria-lugo/
Buen camino!

Last edited:
In April my train from Madrid got into Sarria around 7pm. We took a taxi to Barbadelo where I'd booked a room.

(I'd already walked as far as Barbadelo on previous stages of my Camino, and my daughter was joining me to walked the last 100km or so.)

However - several people were on the same train as us, and we saw them an hour or so later as they arrived into Barbadelo having walked the 3-4 km, and we ate in the same dining room.

It might be dark at that time in October, and walking down out of Sarria then up through the woods and across the fields might not be the most sensible thing to do... but how often are some of us sensible?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At the end of one stage we walked stayed at O 'Durminento was a nice albergue and we had a very good dinner and breakfast there. However I am not sure you'd arrive in time for dinner and you may want to leave before they serve breakfast.
When we returned last week in September to walk the next stages we arrived after 8 p.m. and booked a small pension Casa Vento at the top of the town close to the Camino.
It may well be dark by the time you arrive. Agree with comments above.
Start walking the next morning and stop for breakfast at Barbadelo.

Hi, I've booked my flights (yay!) and I'll be arriving at SCQ on Tuesday, October 10 at 3:20 pm. I don't have a lot of time for this camino so I'm only able to walk Sarria-Santiago before I have to get back home for work.

I'm trying to figure out my route and timing for the transfer between the airport and Sarria. I know I can take the bus to Lugo, then transfer to the Sarria bus. If I am reading correctly, it looks like I can catch the 16:10 bus from the airport, to arrive in Lugo at 18:05. From Lugo, I see a Sarria bus that leaves at 18:35, arrives at 19:05.

1) Is this the best way for me to transfer to Sarria to start my Camino?
2) Is there any way to get from SCQ to Sarria more quickly that will work with a flight arriving at 15:20? If so, what are the prices for other options?
3) if I will arrive at 19:05, should I pre-book my accommodations for the first night?

What I would really love to do is arrive at SCQ, transfer quickly to downtown Sarria, and begin walking. Is there any way this will be possible? I would love to walk for a couple of hours before finding a place to sleep, but I'm guessing this is not possible.

I am also considering booking an airport transfer from one of the hostels, checking in, visiting the cathedral, and then walking out and back for a few miles in the opposite direction, just to get a sense of what the camino is like before Sarria.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

1) Yes
2) No
3) No. Your 1520 arrival doesn't leave enough slush to catch the 1610 bus meaning you might (high probability) get stranded in Santiago unless there is a later bus. Airplanes cannot be relied upon to arrive on time and there is a time factor to consider in deplaning. It might be worth checking out if you can get to either of Lugo or Monforte de Lemos and stay there if you can't get to Sarria same day.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Since you have to go through Lugo, if you forgo the taxi option, why not just start in Lugo? Why go to Sarria?

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back