• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help needed from a low budget pilgrim! + Awesome food?

hahni1274

Hi,

I am on a low budget pilgrim (about 500 euros, including a transportation from santiago to madrid) and need to figure out what I can buy in spain grocery stores (even ones in small town!!) Do they sell FULL FAT dried milk and powdered power rade? (dried full fat milk is even hard to find in the states unless hispanic stores) How about trail mixes?

any awesome cheap food that is sold expensive in us? how much is a can of beer in europe?

Are hosts and hostesses friendly with campers? Would they let me camp on their yards even if there will be spare beds? I am not bringing my tent, only waterproof sleeping bag. Would that be sufficient?

Will I need to book a bus/train from Santiago to Madrid in advance? Due to the uncertainty of how fast i will walk, there is no way I would know when I will arrive in santiago. Recommend me any trustworthy bus companies!

any advices to keep it low budget is welcome!!! :D However I really want to try awesome dishes. I just don't want to spend 10~15 euros for a bowl of soup and steak and chips. if you know awesome regional/traditional spanish dish, please let me know as well!

thank you for reading a long post!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
hahni1274 said:
any advices to keep it low budget is welcome!!! :D However I really want to try awesome dishes. I just don't want to spend 10~15 euros for a bowl of soup and steak and chips
You will find Anniesantiago's blog very informative.
However you'll have to play it by ear, for the simple reason that seasonal weather can be erratic and accordingly your "camping in the fields" may not meet your minimal comfort desires!
If you are used to haystacks and toothpicks (season permitting), you may get by on a daily expense of between 15 and 20 Euros without begging along the walk. Excluding transportation of course.
You could perhaps put in a day or two of work with a farmer, a restaurant operator or a hospitalero to get a free bed and a meal. I've come across the odd character who also had a budget problem, and somehow it worked out. Don't quote me though! 8)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Choose your season carefully and you can enjoy the most amazing fruit and veg throughout the camino, utterly fresh and in season at great prices. Buy from markets, farms etc. and this will give health and insight into Spain as well as being the most economical way to travel.
If budget is constrained maybe beer need not figure amongst priorities or maybe for health reasons it need not figure at all.
I would not worry too much solely about food in the terms of budget - it need not be an overly onerous element in one's budget on the camino - other matters may cause greater expenditure, nor would I view camping as you mention as necessarily being a means of reducing costs.
I hope you find the answers you are seeking.
Duncan.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back