• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Needed from Experienced Pilgrims - Albergues

J

jilln

Hello All- I've taken Ivar's list of all albergues and as I've read all of these posts I've noted the albergues that keep being mentioned as the best and the worst.

I'm marking them accordingly (and will be glad to share my list) but many are refered to only by the town they are in. The hope is that by having this info we'll be able to make better judgement calls about when to call it a day (because an albergue is especially good) or when to press on (because the one awaiting us is particularly bad). Again, I'm more than happy to share my lists.

PROBLEM: There are usually more than 1 albergue in that town.

CAN YOU HELP CLARIFY WHICH ARE THE "BEST" AND "WORST" IN THESE PLACES:

THE BEST:
Granon: Alb. Parochial OR Alb Casa de las Sonrisas?
Ribadiso (6km from Arzua): Alb Xunta OR Los Caminantes?
Trinidad de Arre: Alb. de Hermanons Maristas OR Municipal Villava?
Vilafranca del Bierzo: municipal OR De La Piedra?
Boadilla Del Camino: En El Camin OR Municipal?
Portomarin: Which one(s) (there are MANY)?
Sahagun: Which one(s) (there are MANY)?

WORST:
Burgos: everyone keeps saying "the newest one" but we dont know which one that is
Najera: everyone keeps saying the "muni" but we dont know its name
Fromista: everyone keeps saying the one "by the railroad" but we dont know its name
Najera: everyone keeps saying "private" but we dont know its name
Oliveiro: Which one?
Terradillos des los Templarios: which one?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: **HELP NEEDED FROM EXPERIENCED PILGRIMS-- ALBERGUES**

If you are referring to Puerta de Najera Private Albergue, I would not placed it on the WORST list. I stayed there and it definitely was not bad at all. Rooms were clean, showers were clean, clean linens. Washer/Dryer, kitchen facilities, plenty places to eat around. The people running it were certainly busy, I would seek hospitaleros to help, because it certainly is a good place to stay.

I find it fantastic that Granon comes out consistently as one of the best and people sleep on matresses on the floor. I saw the comunal area and it was lovely.

Thanks, Olivares! That's good to know!
JN

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

There are two different alburgues in Najera being referred to here. The "muni" is the municipal albergue. I'd agree that it is one of the worst on the Camino. Stuffy, overcrowded, one look inside made me turn away. I'm no albergue snob but I imagined a very bad sleepless night in this place. There are several private albergues as an option, one of which is the Puerta de Navera. I've stayed in yet another private albergue there. It was in a non descript building about a block behind the municipal. Unfortuantely I do not recall the name either.

My opinion is that as general rule along the Camino (there may be a few exceptions) if it is a choice between a municipal or private albergue, the private ones although perhaps costing a few extra euros are well worth the stay.

Sooo difficult to answer this one because it all depends on the hospitaleros at that moment, other pilgrims, one's own standards, general vibe ... There are very good munis and some less good privates...
Go with the flow...and go for the smaller pueblos and the less known albergues.
I can vote for both ones in Grañon, actually stayed in both in one day ( long story ), very very special vibe there!! The owner of the Casa de las Sonrisas is a gem!

I would definitely place the A Santiago private albergue in Belorado near the top of the best along the Camino. Facilities were spotless, including a very nice yard area with picnic tables and a lovely pool. The Hospitaleros were kind and courteous and quick to respond to any need or question. The laundry room is large, next to the kitchen facilities. The food was great, they even have a small market on the premises. They had the hardest working crew I ever saw in any albergue and it shows on how well it was run. I loved this place.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I've had some of my best experiences in some of the most overcrowded, grubby albergues- because of the people I was sharing my time with. Choosing an albergue isn't like choosing the best hotel, and the one you think you might like to get into might be full anyhow. Also, people's experiences can vary depending on who the hospitaleros were when they stayed, and that often changes.
Margaret

"Best" --- "Worst"

One of the Albergues on your list is the absolute worst. Some of the furnishings are so rickety they look as if they would collapse by touch, never mind sit on them. Sheer defiance of gravity is all thats holding it together.

Same Albergue was one of the best in terms of hospitality.

There was only one Albergue that I decided to leave and I did ask for and recieved a refund. The place had had a wild party the night before and the hospitaleros were only just waking when I got there in the afternoon. I spoke to another pilgrim who had had the best experience of the camino at said party ...

So you need to develop some criteria as to what you mean by "best" and "worst".

Let's see,

1. There is the albergue run by either a religious or charitable organization, perhaps staffed by volunteers who usually were themselves past pilgrims

2. Another albergue is privately owned and often operated by a local family. They may prepare food, provide laundry service and all in all take a genuine interest in their guests. They know that their continued existence relies on attracting pilgrims and good word of mouth. For many in this catagory the albergue operation is for the most part a true "labor of love" more than merely only a business enterprise.

3. Then there is the government operated municipal alburgue. It is often outfited with kitchen facilities and all other nice basic Camino necessities. These tend to have the greatest number of beds per square foot/meter of space, often in large open rooms where you can expect your bed might very well abut that of the stranger next to you. Many times the government employed "hospitalero" shows up in the late afternoon or early evening, collects everyone's money then soon after departs never to be seen again.

All other circumstance the same, which do you think you might choose?

Sure there are exceptions and there are other variables that would impact the desirability of any particular albergue on any particular day. And I completely get what Margaret says. I stayed at the municipal in Mansilla de las Mulas and found it to be among the least desirable on the Camino. Walking the Camino for a second time I ended up there again by happenstance and found it to be one of my favorite stays along the Camino. Fellow pilgrims, better weather and perhaps even my own attitude contributed to the difference. The place itself hadn't changed at all.

If it seems like I am complaining about municipal albergues, I am not. They serve a great need all along the Camino. The original request was advice from past pilgrims on the best and worst. My first Camino I gave little consideration to selection of albergues and left everything to random chance. The second time around I did a little albergue preplanning. It made a big difference. However, regardless of where I stayed, in the end I was always happy for the roof over my head and whatever services were provided.

You can't lose.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

See the List of Stages and Albergues toward the top of every page. You may be trying to duplicate something that Ivar has already created. There is a rating system and a place for comments.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Best? Boadilla Del Camino: En El Camin OR Municipal? hands down the En El Camino, family run located through a gate right next to the church,always open for a rest on the grass, lovely dining room, great hosts. Look here
http://www.boadilladelcamino.com/
Don't bother rushing on to Fromista Boadilla is the place to stop but dwadle in Fromista over coffee you must see the Romanesque carvings in the church.
Worst? Najera, the municipal hostel is the pits! Far too overcrowde3d no ventilation and very hot, inadequate shower/toilets. There are now several other options but I would even go for a hotel before stopping here.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Just below "Check if your question has been asked before."

Wherever you lay your weary head will be where you are meant to be. Having said that though, early in the piece I avoided a certain albergue between Zubiri and Pamplona because I had heard terrible reports about it (the ONLY one). Which just means I ended up in another 'experience' in the convent at Arle, which was an early eye-opener - and to be honest, what I thought would make up the majority of the pilgrimage.
What I ended up experiencing was far from those seemingly 'bleak' places that offered me something very different and wonderful (the people, the people, and the people). Everywhere I stayed I understood that my experience was a million-fold compared to the myriad who walked before me (I wondered about the piles of straw and hay and fleas of a hundred years before me).
I never wanted to complain, I was sooooo impressed at the level - and grade - of accommodation. 98% of my pilgrimage was first class and almost embarrassing (I could barely call it a 'pilgirmage'). I admit, my idea of pilgrimage must have been waaaay off, but I appreciated EVERYTHING, and all for less than the cost of a coffee and cake in my home country.
I loved the little notices I saw that reminded me "Tourists demand, pilgrims are grateful".
Every cup of coffee, every shower - even the luke warm ones of which there were mercifully few , every bed, every smile, every enquiry into my comfort or concern..... I was swept away by the kindness.
Now... Except for one: Although it may have been given in kindness and as an act of servie, I found an albergue outside Burgos and just before the Mesetta a tad creepy. The hospitalier sat and watched me eat, telling tales of how blessed they were when someone had died at their kitchen table, mothering me to bed at 9.00am (I'm 50) and giving lots of advice when what I wanted was a cup of tea and a good night's sleep. But EVEN then, I was grateful. I was also grateful to get out of there as quick as possible in the morning..... each to their own - and saw my own lesson in the whole scenario (I'm the control freak - I don't need anyone else doing that... or maybe I do).
Wherever you lay your head will be where God is waiting to whisper in your ear.... Bless ♥

jillneunaber said:
THE BEST:

Granon is probably the Parochial one, in the church, but recent reports on Casa de las Sonrisas are also really good.

Trinidad de Arre, it's probably the Hermanos, which has a morning blessing and a lovely garden setting. But I've recently heard good things about the municpal albergue in Villava (mostly that no one stays there so it's not crowded).

In Villafranca del Bierzo, it's de la Pierdra, located at the end of the town.

In Boadilla it's En El Camino. The albergue itself is a bit run-down, but the family that runs it exemplifies the true spirit of the Camino.

jillneunaber said:
WORST:
Burgos: everyone keeps saying "the newest one" but we dont know which one that is
Fromista: everyone keeps saying the one "by the railroad" but we dont know its name

Burgos - the municipal albergue behind the cathedral is giant and impersonal but modern. That's the one people are talking about. Albergue Emaus in Burgos is top notch, but out of the center.

Najera - the municipal albergue facility is dreadful, but you might get some good volunteer hospitaleros and therefore have a good experience. The private one, Puerta de Najera, is very nice.

In Fromista, the one by the railroad is called 'Canal de Castilla.'

In Terradillos, I didn't care for either. Walk on to Moratinos and you will have a delightful evening and night at Albergue San Bruno (and possibly some homemade tiramisu, also).

New albergues are opening all the time, so be prepared to find some great new spots along the Way (for example, Albergue Ecologico El Beso, 1.5 kms after Triacastela).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was hospitalera at Najera municipal albergue in 2010. I don't know
why people are so negative. Sure it is big with 90 beds but some stops have to be big. The place was very clean and has a well fitted but small kitchen with 2 stoves and two sinks and large fridge. A good lounge with big tables. What do people expect. The town has plenty of restaurants for those who found it too crowded to cook. In high season pilgrimsvhave to camp by the river when all beds are full in town. I loved it there.
Even though the toilet bowls did not have seat covers the bowls were always cleaned. The sheets were washed daily on rotation. There is bike storage in the laundry room where the washer and dryer are. What do prople not like about this place. I see its name comecup as unlikeable. Sometimes we had candles for atmosphere, soft music, incense etc We gave out hugs in the morning.

Here's my experience:

THE BEST:
Granon: Alb. Parochial - AMAZING experience, but have also heard many good things about the new one.

Trinidad de Arre: Alb. de Hermanons Maristas - kind of shabby but comfortable, and nice hospitalero who insisted on carrying my bag (I had a rough day) and putting us in a family room, so husband, son and I had a private room. We had to walk through the choir loft to reach it.

Boadilla Del Camino: En El Camin - AWESOME place, awesome owners, fantastic food, swimming pool, dog to play with, what more could you want

Sahagun: Which one(s) (there are MANY)? - there are only 3, I think? We stayed at the convent, which was kind of spare and, you know, a convent (we "inferred" that we had better be at mass on time, LOL). The people at the municipal were helpful when we needed to figure out train schedules.

WORST:
Burgos: everyone keeps saying "the newest one" but we dont know which one that is - that is the new municipal which is near the cathedral. I found it fine. It's new, so it's in decent shape. It's quite large and thus impersonal and run very strictly, but there are good reasons for that. It's a big city. It gets crowded, and they really want you out of there in the morning. That said, there are snack machines, good laundry facilities, a decent communal space to fix your food and eat in, computers, etc. Worth it for us.

The best: Granon under the bell tower. You will be sleeping on a mat on the floor, but experiencing something profound and amazing. You will be totally cared for.
Sansol along the Messeta. It won't look like much and you may not feel inclined to wander the 500m off the path, but you'll be glad you did.
Ponferrada: for that 70's feel of liberation and love

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
"Sansol along the Messeta"

You may mean San Bol. Sansol is in Navarra, not the meseta. San Bol is the one without electricity and running water.

Sansol I did not like at all but have to thank for my meeting with Martin Sheen. I left Sansol without breakfast and walked the 2 kilometres to Torres del Rio just in time to join Martin and cast for breakfast at the Torres albergue/cafe. I was the only pilgrim, all those who'd stayed at Torres had left, no-one else had arrived.

What was bad about Najera municipal? Hmm, it was too small for 90 beds. If everyone places their backpack in the path inbetween the beds, there is no room to walk.
Bunks in the middle way too close together. It is just like a double bed. Not 1 cm of privacy. Not next to you and not at the beginning and end of the bed. You go to sleep just 5 cm away from someone elses pilgrim feet.
Bad ventilation. If it wasnt so hot then maybe...maybe...all the other would not have been experienced as so bad.

BURGOS MUNICIPAL BAD? Really? Why? I liked it. Yes big, yes new, yes maybe impersonal, but facilities were just fine and clean. Bunks are placed in cubicals of 4 beds and every cubical even has 4 lockers in between the 2 bunks which gave a little bit of privacy.
If my memory is ok, i believe all the beds even have their own reading lights and at least on electrical outlet for your own personal use. I thought this was excellent.
Papersheets are not free, but for 2 euros for sale, but you have to ask for them.
And to top it all of, if your lucky you get a bed in the "1 bunk honeymoonsuite" with private sink and all :)
The layout of the dorms reminded me of Roncesvalles a bit.

Also not one of my favorites: Terradillos de los templarios - albergue Jacques de Molay.
It just didnt feel ok there. This albergue was, to me, the kind of private albergue where the money was more important then the pilgrims that stay there.
Everybody has to make money, but if your starting a business in the hotel/restaurant sector, then you have to make sure that guests feel welcome and, eventhough it is all aboit the money, you really have to make sure a guest does not notice this. Hospitabillity is key in the hotel/b&b business, no matter if you charge 12 euros per night or 120.
Being hospitable does not cost anything and is the best free publicity you can get. Jacques de molay just did not tick any of the boxes for me. But it is al personal of course.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello All- I've taken Ivar's list of all albergues and as I've read all of these posts I've noted the albergues that keep being mentioned as the best and the worst.

I'm marking them accordingly (and will be glad to share my list) but many are refered to only by the town they are in. The hope is that by having this info we'll be able to make better judgement calls about when to call it a day (because an albergue is especially good) or when to press on (because the one awaiting us is particularly bad). Again, I'm more than happy to share my lists.

PROBLEM: There are usually more than 1 albergue in that town.

CAN YOU HELP CLARIFY WHICH ARE THE "BEST" AND "WORST" IN THESE PLACES:

THE BEST:

WORST:

Villafranca De Bierzo- De la Piedra private albergue is one of the best on the camino , new , clean, great breakfast, internet,dorm and private rooms, kitchen etc. etc.
The hotel across the street on the corner does a super menu del dia ( at least for lunch).
Burgos municipal should be on the best list . big , clean, comfortable, lockers, beds in cubicles , plenty of hot water , central for restaurants and cathedral.
Stayed twice, no complaints.

Terradillos - neither should be on the worst list but I prefer Los Templarios . looks like a motel, spacious, bar ,food , basic 2 choice menu del dia, private rooms ,garden etc.

Fromista - next to the station , not that bad , has restaurant and bar with a good menu del dia, roomy dorm but bathroom a bit basic. I would not want to stay
there when its cold.

Najera Municipal was the worst for me in 2013.
Villamayor de Monjardin (Hogar) won last place in 2011

Lets face it , what makes the perfect Albergue : hot water and enough toilets and showers for the number of pilgrims - unlike Najera Muni
, a bed with a little space to put our bag and hang our stuff ,with a little more distance between beds than in some albergues.(Najera Muni, Portomarin Xacobeo)
Restaurant , bar in or nearby , kitchen , clothes washing facilities , the chance of a good nights sleep - small ventilated dorms.

Like so much in life what we each define as necessary depends on circumstance.

February 2006 by the time I trekked to Villafranca Montes de Oca the camino was covered with 2 or 3 inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. I went to the municipal albergue. No one was about, but the front door was unlocked. There was a toilet, shower and electricity. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. How lucky I was!

All we really need is a simple albergue shelter, a bed (preferably a bottom bunk and heat in winter ), working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and when possible good companionship.

Margaret Meredith

Hi Margaret,

I think you're right. With that view, i guess an albergue like Najera muni would be ok in low season when it is not so full.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Margaret's posts always make me think my next Camino will be in winter.

the more you make up lists and gear your day towards "getting the best," the more insulated you are against whatever the path might have to show you. There is such a thing as Too Much Information. Otherwise, just stop at the Tourist Information post in the larger towns that offer them, they have a full list of nice, clean, charming hotels at good prices where you will not be disappointed.

Splurge and give yourself at least one night at a pazo, hotel or similar. Paradores are nice too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like so much in life what we each define as necessary depends on circumstance.

February 2006 by the time I trekked to Villafranca Montes de Oca the camino was covered with 2 or 3 inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. I went to the municipal albergue. No one was about, but the front door was unlocked. There was a toilet, shower and electricity. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. How lucky I was!
All we really need is a simple albergue shelter, a bed (preferably a bottom bunk and heat in winter ), working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and when possible good companionship.
Margaret Meredith
How right you are Margaret!
Buen Camino
Jochen

Hi Johan

Not sure if this is the same on your page...but if you scroll up to the top of this thread, you will see the map of the Camino Frances. Just below after the writing saying "The Route"... you should see some "Stars" with some writing "Find a list of stages with Albergues rated by past pilgrims etc"
Click on that for the reviews.

Hope this helps.
Hi Lise, Is this the list you are talking about? I can't find any stars (and there is no map of the Camino Frances at the top of this thread on my page...) Thank you.

Just below "Check if your question has been asked before."
Falcon, I am unable to find, "Check if your questions has been asked before." Where should I be looking? Thank you.

Last edited:
I just walked from SJdPP to Muxia, In my opinion the Best advice is: Pack light, get in a decent shape, get best hacking shoes / socks money can buy, ask for nothing and thank for everything, and get ready to be surprise. My experience in el Camino was that justice is not serve by talking about it, reading about it, seeing pictures of it. El Camino is something that must be walk on it. God bless all.
Ps please pack your first aid kit. if you don't need it. your are bless twice since you will used it helping someone else.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Alyssa

I cant find them now either. I think it was a function on an older version of the forum.
(Please someone correct me if I am wrong.)

The attachment you listed is good for listing all the accommodation on the France.

Also, at the top of this page (if using a laptop/computer there is a "Search" bar, you can pop a question in there to see if there is a thread already started.
If you cant find it, I find using the normal Google toolbar is good to as if will often direct you back to the forum.

Here is that List

Thanks, mspath. I have seen that one before; I guess I am confused about the mention of ratings as I have seen none. (On one of the pages, it does say, "Pilgrims rate this place:" but in the corresponding box, it says only, [ratings]. Perhaps this feature has been removed because of the possible ratings "cooking" (see quote below)].

Someone is touting albergues and skewing the ratings. For example over 55 raters have weighed in on Manjarin and it has nearly a five star rating. There are not 55 pilgrims a year stopping there, and there is no way it is five star. The latrine door is not even opaque!

Jesus y Maria has only 33 ratings, and it fills over 100 beds every night.

I conclude that someone is cooking the books! Use the ratings cautiously. :wink:

That's right. Last year it was decided that rating or scoring the albergues was 'dicey'. Users could, did and do add their personal comments to the entries, however.

MM

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back