• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help needed - getting from Dublin to Estella

Daisychain96

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Help needed please, We are just back from doing a week on the Camino Frances( work would only allow that week ) We finished up in Estella, So next year we intend to start from Estella and continue on for maybe 10 days , So would anybody have an idea as to what is the handiest options for us to get to Estella (coming from Dublin) and to get from Burgos back to Dublin ! ! Thank you in advance! 🙏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How did you get back from Estella? Perhaps you could reverse that.

There doesn’t appear to be a bus along the logical route between Pamplona and Logroño which is a shame.

Returning from Burgos - train or bus to Madrid and fly back from there?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would fly Dublin to Madrid and then bus to Estella. As @trecile says above, Rome2Rio should indicate the various options. Coming back it's easy to get a bus from Burgos to Madrid for the flight home to Dublin. Ryanair also flies Dublin to Santander so you could check out that route too.

I would recommend Skyscanner. I think the closest big airport to Estella is San Sebastian (EAS) or maybe Pamplona (PNA?). Rome2Rio lists a few others..
Skyscanner can figure out the connecting international/domestic flights to get there. Should be possible to catch a bus or train for the final bit? Not sure if it is worth taking the domestic flight from Madrid or just going for bus/train the whole way.

Last edited:
I did it many years ago by flying Dublin to Madrid, then bus to Pamplona and bus to Estella. There is a direct bus from Madrid to Estella as well that leaves from one of the Madrid bus stations but I took bus from airport to Pamplona (it was better timewise for the flight I arrived on to go to Pamplona and took another bus to Estella). Returning to Madrid airport from Burgos is straight forward using a bus, there are some directly to airport.
It is also possible to fly in and out of Bilbao which also has direct flights from Dublin, but requires more changes to reach Estella

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Fly Dublin Madrid
ALSA Bus Madrid Airport T4 To Logrono
Logrono Estella Local Bus

Burgos bus station to Madrid T4 using ALSA Bus

Last edited:
Help needed please, We are just back from doing a week on the Camino Frances( work would only allow that week ) We finished up in Estella, So next year we intend to start from Estella and continue on for maybe 10 days , So would anybody have an idea as to what is the handiest options for us to get to Estella (coming from Dublin) and to get from Burgos back to Dublin ! ! Thank you in advance! 🙏
Fly to Pamplona and from Pamplona take the bus to Estella. Easy Peasy!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did a similar Camino a few years ago walking a week or so at a time.
I’m in England with Heathrow and Bristol as my nearby airports.
However I found Bilbao the most convenient airport in Spain to fly into and out of (at least as far as Carrion de los Condos, after that it was Madrid),
It’s really easy to get from Bilbao airport to the bus station, and from there it’s 2 hours to hubs like Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, then local buses or even a taxi for the final few miles to wherever.
Trains tend to take longer and involve a change at Miranda del Ebro in my experience so bus is generally easier.
I hope you can fly from Dublin to Bilbao x

I just walked Burgos to Leon. Came from Dublin... I flew Dublin to Bilbao, had lovely night there in a hostel. Then got morning bus to Burgos. Was so easy and cheap. I am sure you could do something similar to Estella. Just takes a little planning. Good luck 😃 👣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi I would fly to Bilbao and get a bus to Estella. From memory the Aer Lingus flight on Thursdays leaves early in the morning. You may have to change at Pamplona. On your return, a bus from Burgos to Santander. The flight from there to Dublin leaves at around 10.00pm so you will have plenty of time to explore Burgos in the morning to catch a bus mid afternoon. I have made this trip myself and it was all very easy. Buen Camino agus Slàn.

There are buses from Burgos and Vitoria that I have seen with my own eyes (like there's another way). It would be easy to get from Bilbao to Vitoria, maybe there's a through bus. Look at the Jimenez website.

Is that you Lee ? 😀

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am trying to do the same for next year. My flight arrives into Bilbao @ 4 pm from Dublin.
I can see two options - a) Union de Alvesa bus to Pamplona and bus out to Estella or
b) Alsa / Cuadra bus to Logrono and bus to Estella.
Autobus Jiminez is a handy little service.
Either way, it will be a late night.
Buen Camino!

I think Pamplona is the better option as it closer to Estella. You could think about staying overnight in Pamplona and get an early bus to Estella and start walking then. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back