• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help needed navigating forum website

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I have been a forum member for over 6 months now and am still like a newbie in learning to use the various functions here, which is rather embarrassing. Probably because I only keep doing the same few things over and don't explore or experiment with the other features of the website.

I notice that many savvy forum members often lead other members to various older posts and threads relating to a particular topic or question and post the link to it, which is so helpful.... I am planning to walk a large portion of the Le Puy route with 2 friends next June and I had started a thread asking a few questions several months ago. Now I do not even know how to refer back to it as I had many helpful responses. I also would like to read other posts on the Le Puy, as well. I use my Smartphone exclusively for viewing this forum and wonder if that is related to my problem. Possibly most members use their computers instead? When I try to use the "search" button and type in Le Puy, or even Le Puy route, it says "ERROR- your search is too short, too long, or too common". I've also tried Via Podiensis, but nothing works.

Another issue I have is when I open the forum app on my phone I am unable to start a new thread or post a picture. Instead I have to log in on the website to do these two things. All very frustrating and yet I know I must be the problem. Any help is appreciated!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Chris
I've been on here for years but don't know how to link threads to my posts. I use iPhone to view the forum also.

But - regarding finding 'your' previous posts
- go to top where you see your user name
- click on user name / opens up page with your avatar and details
- click on your avatar
- this then gives different options. Choose /postings to see what you've contributed.

Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Chris
I've been on here for years but don't know how to link threads to my posts. I use iPhone to view the forum also.

But - regarding finding 'your' previous posts
- go to top where you see your user name
- click on user name / opens up page with your avatar and details
- click on your avatar
- this then gives different options. Choose /postings to see what you've contributed.

Annie
Hi Annie, Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. My fingers are crossed!

When I try to use the "search" button
The search function also gives you the opportunity to search for posts by a particular person. Try typing in some more words, since it seems that "Le Puy" is not enough.
No, this thing is so different than what it used to be, it sucks
I don't know what you are referring to, since I don't think there have been major changes to the site for quite a while.
don't know how to link threads to my posts
This is easy! :) First go to the page you want to refer the readers to. Select and copy the URL (address). Then with the cursor on your draft post, pick some words that will hold the link, like "this link". Go to the icon in the bar above your draft post, and click on the one that looks like 2 links of a chain. You will get a window where you must paste the URL address. Then "Insert" and you are done.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Camino Chris don't be afraid to experiment ... just don't hit Post Reply etc. In addition, here is a hyperlink to the sandbox where you can play around and experiment.

How do I get the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of a post?
  1. Copy the URL from your browser's address bar.
  2. Use the Permalink button on the post. The #post button will bring up a dialog box that contains the URL of the post.
Here are a couple of shortcut keys for Windows users: CTRL+A = select all, CTRL + C = copy to clipboard, and CTRL+V = paste from clipboard.

Try them all out and see what works best for you.

@Camino Chris don't be afraid to experiment ... just don't hit Post Reply etc. In addition, here is a hyperlink to the sandbox where you can play around and experiment.

How do I get the Uniform Resource Locator (URL) of a post?
  1. Copy the URL from your browser's address bar.
  2. Use the Permalink button on the post. The #post button will bring up a dialog box that contains the URL of the post.
Here are a couple of shortcut keys for Windows users: CTRL+A = select all, CTRL + C = copy to clipboard, and CTRL+V = paste from clipboard.

Try them all out and see what works best for you.
Thank you, Linkster, for the good instructions. At this point I still only use my Smartphone (creature of habit), but I took a screenshot of your post if I ever switch to using my laptop to navigate the forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.