• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino help needed on the Norte

Sagalouts

RIP 2015
ok.1bus 2 trains 1 plane gets me.to.Santander another 2 feve trains 8euro thanks to my old folks blue card gets me to Gijon where l stay tonight 20 euros. 22 k.to AViles is doable tomorrow . no guide apart from tourist map that's showing etaps of 38 39 29 and 29 to soto de luina. Almuna . La cardiac sorry caridad and Abres .does anyone know of good places to break these etaps up.quite happy to wing it but open to any help .the weather is good the wine is better

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sagalouts - a guide book has its good points you know, even if it doesn't hold all the options...!
I was in Aviles about three weeks' ago. Many were not wanting to do the full 39k to Soto. Some were heading for the hostel in San Esteban ~23k, others had found some accommodation in the fishing village of Cudillero ~30k. Both are slightly off the Way. For San Esteban: after Soto del Barco (at 20k) you go over the long river bridge and take the first turning right and it's 2k directly further on. For Cudillero, when you get to the main road at El Pito just go straight along it (rather than turning left off it) for about 2k. I heard it's pretty. Waymarking on the last 5k to Soto is poor and at times counter intuitive, especially around the road bridges. Hopefully there'll still be some pebbles and arrows in the sand pointing the way...
I didn't hear of any cheap/pilgrim accommodation between Soto and Cadavedo. There is a camping complex a few k after Cadavedo and you'll see more info about this in the Cadavedo albergue if it is full. I went straight through Luarca/Almuna going another 15k to Pinera, where you have to get the key 1km before the albergue. You go back for the evening meal in the house,which was one of the most enjoyable experiences of this camino. La Caridad is another 16k further on. The albergue is smallish but fresh and new. I just stopped for coffee. Look for a panaderia on the high street that does about 8 types of excellent empanada (though I only sampled a couple). We went straight through to Tapia, about another 10k. If you take this coastal option, when you get about 4k out of La Caridad you have the option of taking the coastal path instead of the camino, the GR E.9. This is fine if you have time - occasionally a bit circuitous, but very rewarding.
cheers, tom

Sagalouts - a guide book has its good points you know, even if it doesn't hold all the options...!
I was in Aviles about three weeks' ago. Many were not wanting to do the full 39k to Soto. Some were heading for the hostel in San Esteban ~23k, others had found some accommodation in the fishing village of Cudillero ~30k. Both are slightly off the Way. For San Esteban: after Soto del Barco (at 20k) you go over the long river bridge and take the first turning right and it's 2k directly further on. For Cudillero, when you get to the main road at El Pito just go straight along it (rather than turning left off it) for about 2k. I heard it's pretty. Waymarking on the last 5k to Soto is poor and at times counter intuitive, especially around the road bridges. Hopefully there'll still be some pebbles and arrows in the sand pointing the way...
I didn't hear of any cheap/pilgrim accommodation between Soto and Cadavedo. There is a camping complex a few k after Cadavedo and you'll see more info about this in the Cadavedo albergue if it is full. I went straight through Luarca/Almuna going another 15k to Pinera, where you have to get the key 1km before the albergue. You go back for the evening meal in the house,which was one of the most enjoyable experiences of this camino. La Caridad is another 16k further on. The albergue is smallish but fresh and new. I just stopped for coffee. Look for a panaderia on the high street that does about 8 types of excellent empanada (though I only sampled a couple). We went straight through to Tapia, about another 10k. If you take this coastal option, when you get about 4k out of La Caridad you have the option of taking the coastal path instead of the camino, the GR E.9. This is fine if you have time - occasionally a bit circuitous, but very rewarding.
cheers, tom
Thanks Tom much appreciated

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.