• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help Needed with Information on Buses and Trains to shorten route

AMoore63

Time of past OR future Camino
Can I manage to do it in August 2017?
Life got in the way of my plans to take 5 weeks for my years-long dream of walking. I think I might still have a chance to go if I am willing to take what I can get with 14-20 days in August before going back to work and brave enough (I am alone) to try trains or buses past some sections. I really want to start in St. Jean and end in Santiago so could really use some specifics on trains or buses and segments. I have seen other postings but really feel like I need a little more to feel confident in making this leap. I am thinking if there is a way to travel from Logrono to Leon that could work, or maybe I should also skip from Leon to Sarria to be on the safe side. Any information on those transportation logistics? Time, cost, schedule, locating?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@AMoore63 welcome to the forum. As you have said that you really do want to start walking in that "obscure town in South West France" and presumably climb over a very large hill on your very first days walk I won't try to dissuade you, much. I'll just say that if I had only 14 - 20 days to walk to Santiago I would start somewhere some 14 to 20 days from Santiago. Leon occurs to me as a viable sort of spot. Easily accessible. A key city on the French Way (thats why the cathedral looks so French) and that decision would save you tiddling about on www.rome2rio.com for hours and finding that you'll be spending as much of your camino hanging out in bus stations and train stations as you will walking. ( Mind you the Mesons are usually good for lunch. )

Happy planning & Buen camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Walk SJPdP to Logrono, take a bus or train to Astorga (or Ponferrada if time is getting tight)
and walk to Santiago de Compostela.

I just got back from the CF and met a couple who had the same time constraints. We walked from St. Jean to Pamplona. They took the train from Pamplona to Astorga, and walked from Astorga into Santiago, all within the space of around 20 days. You get some of the highlights of the trip, and can fill in the "in-between" parts on a later Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have recently returned from completing the Camino Frances and think you are unfortunate to have to make this decision as starting in St Jean and ending in Santiago is the best! (imho). If you do have to truncate then I am in agreement with @Tincatinker, start in Leon, maybe even take a taxi back to Mansilla de las Mulas to get a feel for the western end of the Meseta. But from Leon you will pass through Astroga; climb the mountains to the Cruz de Ferro and again climb up to O'Cebreiro and the greenness of Galicia. When you arrive at Santiago, if time permits take a one day tour to Finisterre and Muxia.
When you are home start planning how you can eventually walk the whole way from St Jean to the Atlantic in one go. Buen Camino:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My trimming recommendation is to walk to Logrono, then skip ahead to Leon. While it is unfortunate that you will miss the meseta, there will be a bit of the flavour of it from Leon to Villafranca de Bierzo, and you will get the extraordinary Renaissance landscape of Navarre and Rioja, and its ancient capitals.

Rome2Rio is good for getting ideas, but it will never show all the options, and it will have some of them wrong. Better off trying different routes at some of the providers. The only ones I can remember at the moment are
http://renfe.es
http://www.autobusesjimenez.com
http://socibus.es/wp/
http://alsa.es
http://laestellesa.es

Alsa is the biggest bus company of the four, but Jimenez is cheaper on some routes. Some of the routes let you see pilgrims on the camino as you pass them on the highway. Just check the bigger cities, and the routes will show you what villages they hit along the way.

Also, generally there's no bargain to buying early, so better to keep track of your distances so you can get an idea of your own pace before deciding when you need to make a skip. I don't know about most albergues, but in Villamayor de Monjardîn, we had information about all the routes between Logroño and Estella, and a little bit about Pamplona.

Last year, I took a train from Barcelona to Logroño, bus back to Villamayor, bicycle west a few days, bus to León, then bicycle west again.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back