A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Help Needed

Camino(s) past & future
None
I am planning to walk from Santiago De Compostela to Salamanca in about two weeks... can anybody help me plan my route? Or has any 'Do's' and 'don'ts' ... this is my first Camino ever.

Advertisment

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" camino
Porto to SdC May 2019
If you DO want to go from SdC to Salamanca then it's the Camino Frances to Astorga and the Camino de la Plata to Salamanca - take a look at the Gronze sites.

Camino Frances

De La Plata

The main problem I found walking "the wrong way" is that you can't see yellow arrows and waymarkers very easily.

Advertisment

MileHighPair

Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2014: Cam. Frances
2015: Chimayo, USA.
2016, 2017: VdlP
2018: Madrid and Ourense
Jake (if you are a real person, not a BOT), why don't you just walk from Salamanca? Or start in Zamora and make it to Santiago. If you do stick with your plans, I would recommend a gps app of some sort (I use Maps.me), then download a gpx file for the Sanabres/Via de la Plata from the Wikiloc website. If you can follow the gps track, it won't be quite so difficult, as finding the way markers will be troublesome going "backwards", especially as your first camino. Buen Camino whatever you decide.

Camino(s) past & future
None
Not a BOT dude, but thanks for that advice I presume that there will be plenty of pilgrims making their way to santiago who I will corss paths with

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
'Do's' and 'don'ts' ... this is my first Camino ever
DO get a KML track for maps.me, and just follow it on your phone.
DO look at the stages for walking the other direction, to get information on accommodation, etc.
DON'T consider this a "first Camino" as you are not walking the pilgrimage to Santiago. It seems more like a novelty long distance walk.
DO check whether you can use a credencial and pilgrim albergues if you are not walking to Santiago. (I don't know.)
DO read all of the threads you can about footwear, blisters, albergue etiquette, packing, etc., as they would still apply.

Camino(s) past & future
2011-12-14-15-16-17-18CF
2013 Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 HærvejenDK
You have a very challenging Camino planned! You should not assume that you will meet plenty of pilgrims passing you on their way to Santiago--the Via de La Plata is not a busy route like the Camino Frances; and you might want to re-consider walking it in August, when the high temperatures are downright dangerous.

hel&scott

Camino(s) past & future
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
@C clearly has given you some good advice. The route between Orence and Salamanca is an interesting one, the markings are ok if you are heading towards Santiago but not so if you are going the other way. Having walked the Portuguse route in reverse I can confirm its not easy finding arrows which are painted on the other side of trees etc and you can spend a lot of time at cross roads looking for them. It's not like the other European trails that place markers which can be read from either direction.

While @marylynn has a point over the late summer heat, the section you are looking at tends to have some cover and isn't as hot as the southern section of the Vdlp. I don't know your fitness level or hiking experience so I can't really comment further. But if you prepare well, take good maps and Gps, and don't mind getting lost you should be ok.

Harington

una abuelita inglés
Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016
If you DO want to go from SdC to Salamanca then it's the Camino Frances to Astorga and the Camino de la Plata to Salamanca - take a look at the Gronze sites.

Camino Frances

De La Plata

The main problem I found walking "the wrong way" is that you can't see yellow arrows and waymarkers very easily.
Or the Sanabrés via Ourense

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 102 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 165 25.4%