• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Nowhere to stay in or around San Sebastián

Mandygoingplaces

Time of past OR future Camino
First day on the Camino and have spent most of the afternoon since arriving in San Sebastian walking around looking for accommodation speaking to people. All of the hostels adespite arriving here at midday from the run. I'm now looking to take a taxi to Orio to try and find a room but that will mean missing out a chunk of the Camino. Any help gladly appreciated!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Mandy
Have you been looking at gronze.com ?
There are a few listed there and most that are on booking are saying sold out. However on gronze the phone number direct is often listed. Try calling direct and you may strike it lucky.

A busy time on the Norte right now. Good luck .
I’ve stayed in ‘room in the city ‘ in San Sebastián before - Although booking dot com shows it complete., it’s very central - (walk around and check/ask- as it has a lot of places).

I stayed Orio on my camino Norte. Beautiful setting up there.
Buen camino
Annie

Hi Mandy
Have you been looking at gronze.com ?
There are a few listed there and most that are on booking are saying sold out. However on gronze the phone number direct is often listed. Try calling direct and you may strike it lucky.

A busy time on the Norte right now. Good luck .
I’ve stayed in ‘room in the city ‘ in San Sebastián before - Although booking dot com shows it complete., it’s very central - (walk around and check/ask- as it has a lot of places).

I stayed Orio on my camino Norte. Beautiful setting up there.
Buen camino
Annie
Thank you Annie. Apparently the problem in San Sebastion is that the main pilgrim albergue (80 beds) is shut. I ended up meeting up with other stranded pilgrims and we've now found a lovely (but full) hostel willing to give us tents to camp in Olia. A warning to other pilgrims hoping to find accommodation in San Sebastian- book ahead!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sorry this is too late for you, @Mandygoingplaces , but for future reference if anyone behind you is in the same fix:
It'd be very easy to go off-piste for the night - take a commuter train to Astigarraga, Hernani, Beasain, or Tolosa (on the Vasco) and find accommodation there, then take the train back down to San Sebastian in the morning to continue on your way. Tolosa or Beasain are especially nice towns, with good food and very good connections. And Beasain has one of the nicest albergues on any camino.
Edit - I have just looked it up and there are even trains through the night to both Tolosa and Beasain. So it's not too late if you are on Spanish time. ;)

Last edited:
I'm sorry this is too late for you, @Mandygoingplaces , but for future reference if anyone behind you is in the same fix:
It'd be very easy to go off-piste for the night - take a commuter train to Astigarraga, Hernani, Beasain, or Tolosa (on the Vasco) and find accommodation there, then take the train back down to San Sebastian in the morning to continue on your way. Tolosa or Beasain are especially nice towns, with good food and very good connections. And Beasain has one of the nicest albergues on any camino.
Edit - I have just looked it up and there are even trains through the night to both Tolosa and Beasain. So it's not too late if you are on Spanish time. ;)
Great idea VN - thinking outside the obvious places!
They look like nice places to check out regardless , time permitting.

Also Mandy - compounding your current time ., it’s august holidays in spain? and a coastal draw card.

About 4 km before san Sebastian there is a beautifull place called los doce tribus . It is an albergue run by a spirituacommunity, it has a beautifull garden. It is donativo, special rules apply, no alcohol, bottled drinks like coca cola, separated dormitory for men and women. At dinner time, soms onze of the community wil talk about this place and their motivation. For people who are still walking and don't have a reservation it would be a nice place to stay, if you can live with the mentioned restrictions.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Antonius @Antonius Vaessen
surprised to hear this mentioned now. In 2014 I was walking past this place and thought it looked very nice, when 'lo and behold' two ladies were coming toward me (uphill) with their shopping bags.. They invited me to come and have my morning tea etc there and relax. It was indeed a pleasant community and peaceful gardens.
The community group ( in English - I believe they are another religious group..called ' the twelve tribes'. actually have locations all over the world.. One not far from where I live here in Oz. I had intended stopping in San Sebastian for lunch...but after the rest there and lovely food.. I pushed on further as I had already split this stage into two days..... I only stopped for a break in SS and continued on to Orio for the night..
Staying at Orio had been the suggestion of the hospitalero from the previous night (I stopped first night at Pasajes de San Juan)..

Years later I came back to SS to enjoy it for a few days.. Always nice to have time to do it justice.
this is all bringing back some lovely memories and I hope I'm fit enough to one day try this route again.

About 4 km before san Sebastian there is a beautifull place called los doce tribus . It is an albergue run by a spirituacommunity, it has a beautifull garden. It is donativo, special rules apply, no alcohol, bottled drinks like coca cola, separated dormitory for men and women. At dinner time, soms onze of the community wil talk about this place and their motivation. For people who are still walking and don't have a reservation it would be a nice place to stay, if you can live with the mentioned restrictions.
Thank you Antonius, I had called them and they were very willing to help but I hadn't appreciated how far back the way I had come it was! I too would like to do this route again one day and spend more time in and around the Albergues of San Sebastian. I can highly recommend the Albergue in Orio though, and what a lovely town too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did not know this when I stayed there and did not notice anything of the opinions mentioned in this article. This is not to say that it is not true, some of the more positive things I recognize. If I would have known this we probably would have walked on,. I don't want to support groups like this. Making use of their services might be seen and made use by them for public relations purposes

Yes, this is certainly a very controversial group, with controversial beliefs and practises.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back