• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help on a New multi task back pack?

Jean Ti

Good day all!

I did a lot of visits in different stores and on internet to find the magic pack sac that I could use on the Camino and also for other trips.

I am looking for a pack sac that is in the 35 liters area with a possibility to expand a bit to 40 if need be for more flexibility.

The bag does not need to be register inside the plane and could last a long time with good YYK zipper...

When I travel I go for generally 50 to 70 days and I noticed that some brands really don't last more that few trips.

I have noticed the 40 liters Peak Design but it is in the 400$ area...

Would you have suggestions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What actual activities, aside from walking the Camino, do you use a backpack for? Just for travel. . for multiday wilderness backpacking trips. . for using on pedestrian strolls around town when shopping. . . ?

You indicate that you want something that lasts a long time, and has a good industrial quality zipper. What other features are you wanting in you backpack? Internal framing system or frameless but supportive. . . multiple exterior pockets. . . a good hipbelt. . . type of backpad system that interfaces with your back. . . ???

How many miles per year would you be using your backpack? Do you have a backpack now that you like? Or is this your first backpack purchase?

The thing I will suggest now, is that you will be better off with options if you look at a 40 liter volume capacity, rather than a 35 + 5 capacity. The 35+5 configuration has fewer offerings which means that you are narrowing choices.

There are backpacks which are 35 L and can be stuffed to accept an extra 5 Liters, but I would opt to look at the 40 liter offerings.

I saw a couple of recent posts by JillGat, and she has a lot of backpack selling experience and may have some candidates in your configuration that she can suggest. I have some suggestions in either the 40 liter OR 35 liter, and can pass those one if I have a better understanding of your criteria. :)

Good questions!

The 40 liters options must be better than 35. I think that I need something very comfortable because I am always wearing the pack Sac. I carry photo equipments in it and my gear because I love taking pictures and walk different worlds.

I use currently a 50 liters Arc'teryx the pack sac is super comfortable but weight 5 pounds empty...

Still looking ... Thank for your help

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like Osprey packs.... The Exos 48 is pretty good, imo. You can cinch it down if only half full (for a camino) but it will take camping equipment comfortably for a longer trek if needed 🙂
The point is, it fits me, would it fit you? You’d have to try it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Domigee's recommendation to try the Exos 48 is a good one.

It is half the weight of the Bora, has a removable brain to make configuration with camera gear and do-dads more flexible, and for those that it fits, it is generally comfortable. Plus, Osprey is easy to access in Canada.

The biggest downside is the lack of hipbelt pockets. The upside is that accessory pockets can be added.

As far as capacity, you can look at the 48 and the 38 liter versions and get a better idea which one will meet your needs best.

The Exos is designated a men's backpack. The women's version is the Eja. Forget that gender category, though. You may find that one version's shoulder harness and hipbelt feels and fits better than the other, so try on both versions. I know a lot of men, for example who do better with a 'woman's' pack due to the harness shapes.

If you can access them for tryouts:

ULA: Circuit

Gossamer Gear: Silverback or the Gorilla. I think the Silverback is a better match.

Gregory: Definitely try the Jade 38.

Granite Gear: Crown Vic v2

Deuter: AirContact Lite, in the 35+10 version.

These seem to match what your needs are, as you have stated. Of course, all or none of those mentioned may be a good match, but at least this can give you some ideas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Domigee's recommendation to try the Exos 48 is a good one.

It is half the weight of the Bora, has a removable brain to make configuration with camera gear and do-dads more flexible, and for those that it fits, it is generally comfortable. Plus, Osprey is easy to access in Canada.

The biggest downside is the lack of hipbelt pockets. The upside is that accessory pockets can be added.

As far as capacity, you can look at the 48 and the 38 liter versions and get a better idea which one will meet your needs best.

The Exos is designated a men's backpack. The women's version is the Eja. Forget that gender category, though. You may find that one version's shoulder harness and hipbelt feels and fits better than the other, so try on both versions. I know a lot of men, for example who do better with a 'woman's' pack due to the harness shapes.

If you can access them for tryouts:

ULA: Circuit

Gossamer Gear: Silverback or the Gorilla. I think the Silverback is a better match.

Gregory: Definitely try the Jade 38.

Granite Gear: Crown Vic v2

Deuter: AirContact Lite, in the 35+10 version.

These seem to match what your needs are, as you have stated. Of course, all or none of those mentioned may be a good match, but at least this can give you some ideas.
I just saw the Gossamer and it look very interesting. some of your selection are not available in Canada. I will go back to the store and try some of them.

Thank you again you know your subject!!!

What is the AVERAGE weight of the contents that you carry in your pack, with all of the times you use it?
Not quite sure I follow the thinking behind the question. If the pack is being used for a wide range of weights and volumes of gear then isn't the critical issue its capacity to handle the maximum load? No serious problem in underfilling a pack but too little space is a pain in the posterior.

Not quite sure I follow the thinking behind the question. If the pack is being used for a wide range of weights and volumes of gear then isn't the critical issue its capacity to handle the maximum load? No serious problem in underfilling a pack but too little space is a pain in the posterior.
The question is important simply because I travel for long periods with always the same weight. I never leave the camera gear in a room or away from me.

It is more the average load than the Max load here.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took this average to mean ‘most of the time’. But your ‘average’ point is a good one.

I've found the Osprey Kestral 38L to be near perfect for Caminos and day hikes. It also fits within the overhead requirements of most airlines. I used one for 7 yrs (with much life remaining) until giving it to a friend a few months ago and buying the newest version to replace it.

I've also used the Deuter Act Lite 40+10L, a fine pack, but it doesn't fit within airline requirements of overhead bin storage.

Love both packs. If overhead storage/not checking a backpack is priority, then the Osprey is my go to pack. If that isn't an issue and I need to carry more gear, I use the Deuter pack.

EDIT: oops, sorry, I missed the part of your post that mentions it doesn't need to fit in overhead storage.

I've found the Osprey Kestral 38L to be near perfect for Caminos and day hikes. It also fits within the overhead requirements of most airlines. I used one for 7 yrs (with much life remaining) until giving it to a friend a few months ago and buying the newest version to replace it.

I've also used the Deuter Act Lite 40+10L, a fine pack, but it doesn't fit within airline requirements of overhead bin storage.

Love both packs. If overhead storage/not checking a backpack is priority, then the Osprey is my go to pack. If that isn't an issue and I need to carry more gear, I use the Deuter pack.

EDIT: oops, sorry, I missed the part of your post that mentions it doesn't need to fit in overhead storage.
Thank you for your feedback. I am currently looking for a bag that will follow me in the over head bin for security's reason and savings too in time and $$$ cheaper tickets.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I really do want to know the average weight of the load. :)

I focus on backpacks that match with load ratings that slightly exceed the average weight someone tells me. The maximum load ratings by manufacturers has a variance factor that can tolerate a higher load limit. Combine that with the fact that the stated load limits are mostly based on a narrowly defined spectrum for user comfort, and not the structural makeup for the backpack, and there is a lot of wiggle room that can be used to match a backpack to a user for a wide range of activities.

I want to know average load, because that will assure the broadest range of use possible.

I agree wholeheartedly about the issue of volume. . . too much volume is much better than too little.

The biggest factor I am wanting to reduce is overall weight of the backpack itself while maintaining a high level of usability. Everything else being equal, two, 50 liter backpacks, one made to carry up to 25 pounds and the other designed to carry up to 50 pounds are going to have different baseline weights. The types, thickness, and amounts of fabrics, structural components, cushioning materials, fasteners, straps, etc. will be different.

For instance, I have two backpacks of the same volume, one by Mystery Ranch (used to be Dana Designs) and one from ULA.

The Mystery Ranch is meant for load carrying of up to 70 pounds, and weighs in at 6.2 pounds. It is one of the most absolute comfortable backpacks I have ever worn, if one is not actually carrying 70 pounds.

The ULA, same volume, is stated as a load limit of 30 pounds. It weighs 2.9 pounds.

The Mystery Ranch is what I would use as a 'pack mule' when hauling supplies from one base camp to another on a climb. The other is what I would use on a thru-hike while backpacking for several weeks or months.

I CAN easily haul 50 pounds with the ULA, less comfortably, for those infrequent times when I would want to do that. But in looking at which backpack is going to give me the most utility at the lowest weight, the ULA comes out on top for me. If the Mystery Ranch had the same weight as the ULA, and I could only have one backpack, you bet I'd choose the Mystery Ranch.

Thank you for your feedback. I am currently looking for a bag that will follow me in the over head bin for security's reason and savings too in time and $$$ cheaper tickets.

I apologize if I misunderstood your post, but I also read it to mean that it did not matter if the backpack was within size limits for carry-on.

The Gossamer Gear, Osprey, and Gregory choices will meet the criteria for carry-on to a plane. The Deuter may work IF the brain (lid) is removed and the backpack is slightly underfilled so it can be compressed a bit to its length. Also, if your ticket provides for 2 carry-on pieces (overhead bin and underseat) then some of the backpack contents can be put into a laptop-sized bag or camera case.

Good day all!

I did a lot of visits in different stores and on internet to find the magic pack sac that I could use on the Camino and also for other trips.

I am looking for a pack sac that is in the 35 liters area with a possibility to expand a bit to 40 if need be for more flexibility.

The bag does not need to be register inside the plane and could last a long time with good YYK zipper...

When I travel I go for generally 50 to 70 days and I noticed that some brands really don't last more that few trips.

I have noticed the 40 liters Peak Design but it is in the 400$ area...

Would you have suggestions.
Depends... what are you going to do with it? Daytrips, Camino, Thru-hike the PCT? Go to REI and try a few out. It's one of your most important investments so don't cheap out. Btw REI & Osprey offer a lifetime warranty. I waited for a deal and got my Osprey Exos 48 Blaze Black L for $125 bucks. My one and only complaint is that the newer model doesn't have zip pockets on the waist strap. But it does have ventilated suspension so the pack doesn't make your back sweat (well worth it) and is super lightweight (2.57 LBS). When I air travel, I simply use IKEA Frakta Storage Bag, (Extra Large - Blue (2 PACK) $12 on Amazon). The storage bag (big and strong), protects your pack and has plenty of space for souvenirs when you're returning home. Bring zip ties to lock the zippers!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I air travel, I simply use IKEA Frakta Storage Bag, (Extra Large - Blue (2 PACK) $12 on Amazon). The storage bag (big and strong), protects your pack and has plenty of space for souvenirs when you're returning home. Bring zip ties to lock the zippers!

She explicitly stated that she wants to carry-on her pack and does not want to check it as baggage.

She explicitly stated that she wants to carry-on her pack and does not want to check it as baggage.
That doesn't matter, lots of people read these threads. thanks for your illuminating comment though.

That doesn't matter, lots of people read these threads. thanks for your illuminating comment though.

It does matter because it was a specific question, asked by a specific person, wanting an answer within a specified guideline. But I'm sure the OP appreciates your trying to help her out :) .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are looking for a solid pack in the 35-40 litre range, something you may end up passing down to your grand kids (yes they are that well built), you may want to consider Fjallraven Kaipak 38. That's the pack I'll be using on the Frances in April. There are lighter packs, but you'd be hard pressed to find one that's better built. Fjallraven is a Swedish brand that has been around since the 60's and have a great reputation in the trekking community.

You are right. Many of the lightweight and popular packs don't last very long. I keep seeing and hearing about packs breaking or coming apart during long treks and thru hikes. The owners often are pleased the manufacturer of their expensive pack honoured the lifetime warrantee, however, it was at least inconvenient when it came apart during a long hike.

My kit for the Frances would easily have fit in a smaller pack, but I chose the Kaipak 38 as I'll be able to use it on future trips where I need to carry a tent and a few days of food and water. Choosing a pack that will require replacement after a couple of trips is also not sustainable or responsible, so bravo for wanting something more durable and long lasting.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.