• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Packing list

Alice Edwards

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances early May 2014
To my fellow pilgrims past and present,

I have read previous threads and seen how much everyone has helped their fellow pilgrims on this forum and would appreciate the same gesture. I am in need of a second, third or forth opinion on my packing list as this is my first camino and don't want to take too much or miss anything crucial.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on what to cut or on anything missing. I have attached my packing list below and again would love to have some feedback

Thanks and Buen Camino
Alice

1x Denali 60l pack
1xMicro fibre towel
2x light jumpers
1x pack and go Kathmandu light rain jacket
1x pair long pants
2x pairs 3/4 pants
1x long sleeve top
2x t-shirts
1x pj pants
1x light sleeping bag
1x beanie
1x medical kit
1x small toiletries bag
1x headlamp
Personal medications
Earphones, camera, iPod (including charging cords)
3x pairs of socks
Walking guide book
Emergency tissues
2x sports bras
4x pairs of undies
Sunglasses
Thongs
Walking shoes
1x pair fingerless gloves
Money belt including ATM cards and cash
Small handbag
Journal and pen
Watertight zip lock with documents
1L water bottle

1x Nice 'tourist' top for after walking Ect

Thank you again :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Alice:
You are well down the road on getting ready. Here are a few suggestions:
  • Is that pack an ALPS Denali? My son has that and it is a great pack but pretty heavy and big for the camino. If you can afford it, I would look for a lighter smaller (25-35L) pack. But if it fits, as Lise said, go for it.
  • You will want a small laundry kit for washing. It should include a drain plug, clothes pins or diaper pins, and a 20 foot cord in case all the provided clothing racks are used or not in a sunny spot. I found these name badge clips to be better than clothes pins and lighter. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080HQ11W/?tag=casaivar02-20
  • You may want to limit the bottoms to one pair of pants, one capris, and one shorts. Lise is correct that you wear one and wash one, and MAYBE have one in reserve.
  • You have the rain coat covered, but does the pack have a built in rain cover? What about your legs? In May it can still be pretty wet. Maybe an Altus raincoat the covers you and the pack and your legs. You can get that in St Jean.
  • I am a guy, so take this for what it is worth. A small handbag that will be used for keeping your credentials and money when you are in the shower makes sense, but don't carry one tht is very heavy.
Hope that helps.
Rambler
  • 58047742.jpg
    31tq7uKfFOL.jpg

I love the name badge clip idea instead of clothespins. Agree on the pants -- I took two convertible pants (zip off at knee) which had the advantage of being extremely fast drying. That is plenty. I also took only one fleece (jumper) - layered under my rain jacket it was fine for cooler and rainier days (I too walked in May). You get hot while walking, even in cool weather.

Enjoy your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did I miss them on the list, but .... a pair of light shoes/sandals for evening wear are almost essential.
[I also found sandals ideal when I got blisters, and couldn't wear the walking shoes.]
I agree about reducing the underwear - wear one, have one spare, wash as often as you wish in the evening.
Good luck, Alice! I'm off in 4 weeks on Pilgrimage IV :)

To my fellow pilgrims past and present,

I have read previous threads and seen how much everyone has helped their fellow pilgrims on this forum and would appreciate the same gesture. I am in need of a second, third or forth opinion on my packing list as this is my first camino and don't want to take too much or miss anything crucial.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions on what to cut or on anything missing. I have attached my packing list below and again would love to have some feedback

Thanks and Buen Camino
Alice

1x Denali 60l pack
1xMicro fibre towel
2x light jumpers
1x pack and go Kathmandu light rain jacket
1x pair long pants
2x pairs 3/4 pants
1x long sleeve top
2x t-shirts
1x pj pants
1x light sleeping bag
1x beanie
1x medical kit
1x small toiletries bag
1x headlamp
Personal medications
Earphones, camera, iPod (including charging cords)
3x pairs of socks
Walking guide book
Emergency tissues
2x sports bras
4x pairs of undies
Sunglasses
Thongs
Walking shoes
1x pair fingerless gloves
Money belt including ATM cards and cash
Small handbag
Journal and pen
Watertight zip lock with documents
1L water bottle

1x Nice 'tourist' top for after walking Ect

Thank you again :)
Be ruthless
Loose 1 jumper, 2 pants, 1 shirt, pjs, 1 pr socks, 2 pr undies, thong, handbag, tourist top and swop water bottle for 500ml, find lightweigh day sac 25ltrs.
Lets face it you're going through towns and villages nearly every day so can pick up things along the way.
Happy packing

On my first Camino, when I realized a couple of days in that I would not be able to continue with the weight I was carrying, I sent home a 2 kg parcel from Pamplona. My second Camino I reduced my carried items further and took a lighter, smaller backpack. Based on these experiences, I suggest you indeed look for a lighter, smaller backpack; don't take the PJ pants because one of your 2 pairs of 3/4 length/capri pants can do double duty; only take one of the jumpers; no more than 3 undies; and if you are taking your tourist top (which I would not) reduce one of the tee shirts. A light cross body bag for evening is useful and I do see that you have a handbag listed. My cross body bag weighed in a 135 grams. I don't see a sun hat or bandana on your list, both of which I would not go without. One last thing, when you are in Burgos, pick up a lightweight colourful scarf in the main shopping area. I bought one last year in May because it was so pretty and light (only 20 grams), but I was so very thankful to have it crossing the lovely, but windy, Meseta.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alice:
You are well down the road on getting ready. Here are a few suggestions:
  • Is that pack an ALPS Denali? My son has that and it is a great pack but pretty heavy and big for the camino. If you can afford it, I would look for a lighter smaller (25-35L) pack. But if it fits, as Lise said, go for it.
  • You will want a small laundry kit for washing. It should include a drain plug, clothes pins or diaper pins, and a 20 foot cord in case all the provided clothing racks are used or not in a sunny spot. I found these name badge clips to be better than clothes pins and lighter. http://www.amazon.com/Name-Badge-Clip-Attachment-Strap/dp/B0080HQ11W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397223478&sr=8-3&keywords=Badge Clips w/Mylar Strap
  • You may want to limit the bottoms to one pair of pants, one capris, and one shorts. Lise is correct that you wear one and wash one, and MAYBE have one in reserve.
  • You have the rain coat covered, but does the pack have a built in rain cover? What about your legs? In May it can still be pretty wet. Maybe an Altus raincoat the covers you and the pack and your legs. You can get that in St Jean.
  • I am a guy, so take this for what it is worth. A small handbag that will be used for keeping your credentials and money when you are in the shower makes sense, but don't carry one tht is very heavy.
Hope that helps.
Rambler
  • 58047742.jpg
    31tq7uKfFOL.jpg
Thank you for the ID badge clip idea for our clothesline ... I just ordered 25 off of Ebay for under $6 with free shipping (smaller lots were available) ...
What is a jumper? Do I need one and if so, where can I buy one in Texas? (please take these questions in the lighthearted way they are intended)

God bless your journey!

WalkMWalk, A jumper is a long-sleeved pullover, typically a woolen knit, but could be jersey or other material, even fleece.

Also, “thongs” in this context are what N. Americans call flip flops.

Last edited:
Hola Alice and welcome to the Camino Forum. As usual a lot of good advice on what to bring and what to buy enroute as you need it. You will find pharmacies/chemist shops in most large towns and even smaller ones where you can top up anything that you need.
The question I don't think has been addressed is what does all this weigh? There is a school of thought that your backpack should not exceed either 10 kg or 10% of your body weight (water and daily lunch/food not included). How do you know what everything weighs - well a good set of kitchen scales that weigh in grams (up to 2kg) will usually provide the answers. As for your backpack - I would also suggest that a 60l pack is on the large size (especially for a woman). Did you already have it - or was it purchased especially for the Camino? If purchased specifically hopefully the shop where you bought it ensured that it is a good fit for your body size/style etc.
If you are starting from St Jean you will know (or your body will have told you) by Pamplona if the pack is too heavy or there is stuff you have not used. Do a repack and send the excess stuff to Ivar to store until you arrive in SDC (have a look at the top under Camino Resources about this luggage storage).
Buen Camino ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Alice

Good info from everyone and esp. St mike
My 2 cents worth
60l pack. Check the bare weight. You can def. mng with 35L . Many use 28-30 / read the threads on packs and weight .

'Jumpers' sounds heavy. Do you mean light fleece. You only need 1. As you'll have wind jacket to layer also.

Medical kit. Depends what is in it. Bare essentials . Buy the rest over there.

Personal meds. Take prescription stuff of course but if this includes health shop stuff like vitamin pills etc.. You can take a break from all that. You don't need it. You'll be eating and living very healthy on camino.

iPod. The sound of nature is something special I really enjoy - the peace from the constant buzz is bliss.

Tissues - 1 pocket pack. And buy when you need more.

Handbag ? You don't see many backpacking pilgrims with a handbag . Maybe those on bus tour groups who have luggage in busses may do this. If you want these things for a tour after you finish the camino , take them, but send them from sjpdp to Ivar in Santiago to pick up when you're ready to leave Sdc. Most people use those squishy weightless backpack from katmandu or possibly even cheap shops. You can use it also, as your carry on bag, if you're checking in your backpack. Also for things you don't want to leave at alburgues when you go out for a stroll, dinner etc.

Water bottle. - my pref. is 2 smaller ones. Feel more balanced one in either pocket. I don't buy special bottles to take, just buy bottled water to start and refill as I go. Plenty of Fuentes or cafés to do this. Replace as you need or when you lose one.

Lise' s. comments on pants, tourist top etc.. Work on that ?
I have seen ladies with a pretty top at dinner but you have enough tops in pack to have a clean one. You are young though and I can understand it is only a light thing and I must admit I did envy the feminine look.

Go with what St Mike recommends. Weigh your things and your pack. You may be surprised. Start shaving it down if you can,
Although there are many suggestions on extras., they all add to the weight.

Better to go light first, and add to it over there, then to lug it all the way to Pamplona and find out it is not needed and send it on.
Same goes with buying a pretty tourist top. Get one in Pamplona if you still think you need one by then.

But.......protect your young skin. Include a hat..

Buen camino

Annie

To everyone that has replied THANKYOU! It is so nice to have this information and to everyone I will definitely reweight my contents but it is currently at around 2kg for the pack empty ( not sure of that is a lot) and 6.5-7kg with all of its contents including water.

With the pants and tops I have subtracted some of them to make it lighter so thank you again

And as for the hat, I have now included one as well as a small scarf that can be used as a bandana and hairband :) multitasking as I do :)

But to everyone again thank you so much for your lovely responses I will continue to "shave down" my clothes and items :)

Buen Camino
Thank you
Alice :)

I take 4 pairs of pants (briefs/undies) in case they do not dry, and 3 pairs of inner socks for the same reason. For the rest one complete set on my back (including a light fleece) , one complete change in the pack (including my second light fleece) plus water, wash items and my waterproofs etc. Then I wear clothes as if for a hot day and put everything else in the pack to weigh it. That is when I reckon it should be my target maximum weight; approx 10% in the pack, or weigh me in walking clothes plus pack and with my boots on - not more than 15% FSO. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This afternoon I completed packing my new Mountain Warehouse Ventura 40L. You may [or may not!] be interested, but the attached excel file shows the weights of my backpacks and belts for the last three pilgrimages. I know, I know, I don't leave for another four weeks. Better unpack some of the items which will crease :D
Good luck! And keep it light!

Oh! I'm not able to upload an .xls file :( Will happily send it to anyone who asks s.nicholls@gmx.co.uk
Buen camino!

Clothes pins--one of the other Camino sites recommends using the little plastic tags that close bread bags in US. Tried them in my yard and they do work and weight nothing at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took a screenshot of an .xls file and uploaded that as a jpeg, seemed to work.
Good idea, Pat, but I can't get the .xls file on one screen on my laptop, even when reduced to an almost unreadable 50%.
Of course, I could take two screen shots, jpeg each, then join them......
But what the heck - it's nice to get a personal e-mail from folks who'd like to see it ..... like Annie from Oz :)

Buen camino ... sin ordinadores!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with whoever said be ruthless. Be ruthless. You will thank yourself time and time again.

Pants are heavy: I just took one Royal Robbins skirt: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MS88A8/?tag=casaivar02-20

It is totally lightweight and even sort of water proof. I wore it day in and day out for the entire trip: SJPDP to Santiago. can't recommend it highly enough. Great for peeing discreetly as well.

I had a pair of leggins for under if it was cold. Also one t shirt, one long sleeved shirt. One light jacket, one raincoat. ca suffit! For clothing, that is...

I also left the towel at home and opted for a pashimina type scarf to dry myself with that doubled as "fancy wear" for evening (drape it over whatever you're wearing, you are good to go out on the town..good way to dry it post shower as well).

Don't skimp on socks though: I brought 2 pairs of under silk socks and two pairs of outer light smartwool.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.