• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help planning my way to Sarria and back from Santiago

Tixunau

I am schedule to walk the Camino from Sarria to Santiago on May 5, 2014 with a group which we will be meeting in Sarria. Right now I am trying to plan the best way for me to get there. After reading lots of threads and some search, I think I have a plan but would like your input.

Arrival:

My plan is to fly on Friday May 2 and be in Madrid around 10am on Saturday May 3. From there I will take the train to Sarria.

Although I am not able to buy my train ticket yet (prior of 90 days rule), my search has yielded some information as follow if I input Saturday as a departure date:

Train: Alvia xxxx
Departure: 12.20
Arrival : 18.32

As far as the rate, I can see two columns (Tourista and Preferente). Within each column, you have several choice identified by various icons. Can someone tell me which one I should be selecting? I assume the cheapest right?

I have read many frustrations while booking from their website so hopefully I’ll have more luck now that they have made some changes to their website as per another thread I’ve read.

Flying to Santiago from Ottawa is not an option as the cost of the ticket is $4k. I believe that I can also flight to El Coruna and make my way to Sarria as well. If anyone has better experience flying to Coruna and getting to Sarria, please let me know.

Departure:

My plan is to leave Santiago on Sunday afternoon so that I can catch an early flight (8am) from Madrid back home. Again from the search I did on RENFE, I can see that there is a late afternoon train that I can take. I am planning to stay at the airport while waiting for my morning flight.

Does that look feasible?

I know that my schedule seems very tight but I am committed to get back home as soon as I can after the Camino to relief my wife for taking care of our little ones while I am gone.

To sum it up, here is my schedule right now:

05.02: Fly from Ottawa to Madrid
05.03: Arrive to Madrid @ 10am and take 12pm train to Sarria
05.04: Rest day and acclimatization in Sarria
05.05: Start of the Camino from Sarria – Portomarin
05.06: Portomarin – Palas de Rei
05.07: Palas de Rei – Melide
05.08: Melide – Arzua
05.09: Arzua – Pedrouzo
05.10: Pedrouz – Santiago de Compostela
05.11: Attend pilgrim mass and take afternoon train back Madrid
05.12: ‘Sleep’ at the airport for an early return flight home.

Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would say on the 3rd that you are cutting things tight hoping to get the train to Sarria presumably from a terminus in Madrid not the airport within 2 hours. I would leave longer for a connection. An alternative given you have so little time in Santiago after your pilgrimage would be to get the train to Santiago and so have time to explore the town before catching a bus to Sarria (via Lugo I think).

Ryanair currently has a flight departing SCQ at 22:15for MAD on May 11th for €22.52. It would allow you full day in Santiago de Compostella with opportunity to eat there before departure. Checked baggage is extra.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Tourista/Preferiente is your choice. Tourista is comfortable enough with a lot more space than a bus would have.

Your timing 10am landing to 12:20 pm train is tight but possible ... the stress will be if your airplane is late. I would have a plan B were I you.

Homeward bound ... Madrid airport this side of the security is not comfortable. You'll have a 12 hour wait. Get a hotel. The object is not about killing yourself for lack of sleep.

Aena looks after all of Spain's airports. Each airport has a list of airlines and destinations that is useful for planning. I'd guess your return flight from Ottawa is ~$1500. You should be able to get a return flight Madrid to Santiago for considerably less than $2500. If you went this week Ryanair would cost 67 euro (plus luggage etc).

There is a bus from Santiago airport to Lugo. There are buses from Lugo to Sarria.

There are trains from Santiago to Sarria. Note there are two routes. Going by train via A Coruna takes longer but there are more trains.

See 'travel to from the camino' thread. There are links to services described here posted in 'A compendium of useful links for travel from Santiago'. On the compendium thread in particular visit the link for 'Sarria Consello Transportation Page'.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/traveling-to-from-the-camino.19/

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Much appriciated.

How far is the train station from the airport? I don't mind taking a taxi to get there if it is faster.

Another option I might consider is to stay one might in madrid and take the train to Sarri on Sunday. But I rather spend that night in Sarria but it is a good alternative for me.

Tourista/Preferiente is your choice. Tourista is comfortable enough with a lot more space than a bus would have.

Your timing 10am landing to 12:20 pm train is tight but possible ... the stress will be if your airplane is late. I would have a plan B were I you.

Homeward bound ... Madrid airport this side of the security is not comfortable. You'll have a 12 hour wait. Get a hotel. The object is not about killing yourself for lack of sleep.

Aena looks after all of Spain's airports. Each airport has a list of airlines and destinations that is useful for planning. I'd guess your return flight from Ottawa is ~$1500. You should be able to get a return flight Madrid to Santiago for considerably less than $2500. If you went this week Ryanair would cost 67 euro (plus luggage etc).

There is a bus from Santiago airport to Lugo. There are buses from Lugo to Sarria.

There are trains from Santiago to Sarria. Note there are two routes. Going by train via A Coruna takes longer but there are more trains.

See 'travel to from the camino' thread. There are links to services described here posted in 'A compendium of useful links for travel from Santiago'. On the compendium thread in particular visit the link for 'Sarria Consello Transportation Page'.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/traveling-to-from-the-camino.19/

Thanks for all the info. I know for fact that I can fly to Santiago from Montreal which will cost around $1200-1300. However I would need to drive to Montreal (2 hours away) and leave my car there. With ticket to madrid ($1100) + train ticket, I will be spending pretty much the same amoutn except that I won't need to drive back home on my return.

The more I think about it, I should take one extra day at the end so that I can enjoy Santiago and also not having to rush back to Madrid to make my flight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Finally bought my plane ticket! I am schedule to arrive in Marid on May 3 @ 10:05 am.

Plan A is to make my way to Chamartin station for the 12:20 pm train to Sarria after I land. Currently I don't know which terminal I will be when I land but hopefully I can take the metro. (My connection flight is from Newark (USA) to Madrid) I know it might be a little tight but I am hoping that if I get delay a little, taking a taxi I can still make it on time.

Plan B if I cannot make the connection for the 12:20 pm train, I will just stay in Madrid and take Sunday's train at the same time.

Now because of my timeline and option:

1. Should I buy my train ticket now or wait until I get there on May 3?
2. Will the price be the same online vs at the ticket booth?
3. On Renfe website, what is the difference between 4m, P, P+ and F?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Or:

Aeropuerto Madrid - Barajas T4 Lugo 13:45 20:00 6h 15min 52.92€ 01/09/2013 30/06/2014 supra economy LMXJVS

Then the 2000 or 2045 bus to Sarria.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We plan to arrive in Sarria from Lugo on a Saturday at 19.05. I know that there is a 19.30 Mass in Santa Marina. however there appears to be three bus stations in Sarria. Can anyone tell me the exact address of the bus station in which the bus from Lugo will terminate in order that I can plan our journey to the church in time for mass, without any waste of time?

We plan to arrive in Sarria from Lugo on a Saturday at 19.05. I know that there is a 19.30 Mass in Santa Marina. however there appears to be three bus stations in Sarria. Can anyone tell me the exact address of the bus station in which the bus from Lugo will terminate in order that I can plan our journey to the church in time for mass, without any waste of time?

The Sarria concello website indicates only one bus station. The phone number on the Monbus schedule (press the button Lugo) correlates.

ESTACIÓN DE AUTOBUSES
C/. Matías López, s/n
Rotonda de Guerlédan
http://www.sarria.es/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=109&itemid=132&lang=gl

Finally bought my plane ticket! I am schedule to arrive in Marid on May 3 @ 10:05 am.

Plan A is to make my way to Chamartin station for the 12:20 pm train to Sarria after I land. Currently I don't know which terminal I will be when I land but hopefully I can take the metro. (My connection flight is from Newark (USA) to Madrid) I know it might be a little tight but I am hoping that if I get delay a little, taking a taxi I can still make it on time.

Plan B if I cannot make the connection for the 12:20 pm train, I will just stay in Madrid and take Sunday's train at the same time.

Now because of my timeline and option:

1. Should I buy my train ticket now or wait until I get there on May 3?
2. Will the price be the same online vs at the ticket booth?
3. On Renfe website, what is the difference between 4m, P, P+ and F?

Cheers!

Tough call. You might miss your train. On the other hand there is no way you will make your train if you have to line up to buy a ticket. I was you I'd buy a ticket in advance. You might want to consider looking into Renfe policy on refunds for missed trains.

The different tabs are limited specials with increasing restrictions on the lower prices. ... ie the 4m means no exchange or refund. 'F' is the most flexible, costs nothing to change (cambios), and has the lowest charge for cancellation (anulacione).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tough call. You might miss your train. On the other hand there is no way you will make your train if you have to line up to buy a ticket. I was you I'd buy a ticket in advance. You might want to consider looking into Renfe policy on refunds for missed trains.

The different tabs are limited specials with increasing restrictions on the lower prices. ... ie the 4m means no exchange or refund. 'F' is the most flexible, costs nothing to change (cambios), and has the lowest charge for cancellation (anulacione).

I'll go with your recommendation and buy it in advance but will check the refund/transfer policy before.

From your experience, if I was to land as scheduled and be out of customs by 11 am, allowing myself a little more than 1 hr to get to the train station should be sufficient right?

I google map Marid airport to Chamartin station and it is about 15km. Hopefully if I am late, taxi would be available at my terminal for a quick ride!

Thank and appriciate all your iputs.

Last edited:
I'll go with your recommendation and buy it in advance but will check the refund/transfer policy before.

From your experience, if I was to land as scheduled and be out of customs by 11 am, allowing myself a little more than 1 hr to get to the train station should be sufficient right?

I google map Marid airport to Chamartin station and it is about 15km. Hopefully if I am late, taxi would be available at my terminal for a quick ride!

Thank and appriciate all your iputs.

Madrid Metro site calculates time of travel and indicates fastest routes ... I get 37 minutes from Aeropuerto T1T2T3 to Chamartin. Line 8 to Nuevo Ministerios and line 10 to Chamartin. Time might vary with time of day. It'll take at least 10 minutes to walk from the far end of the terminal to the Metro. Make sure you go the right direction on the Metro ... I once ended up not making a bus because I went the wrong way for a station (and because the flight was 3 hours late). At Chamartin the Metro is co-located underground ... allow 5 minutes for orientation.
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

The unknown stuff is vagaries of airline travel and potential for lineups at customs. I've not experienced any undue delays at Madrid but I've only been there 4 times coming and going. From that experience I would say an hour is sufficient to get through customs and collect bags so it hinges on the assumption that your flight lands on time.

Last set of questions before I buy Renfre tickets online:

1- In which form will I get the tickets? (I am from Canada)
2- I will be now travelling with 2 others. If I buy all the tickets at the same time, how does seats assignment goes?
3- Santiago back to Madrid: how early would we need to be at the train station before departure time?

Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last set of questions before I buy Renfre tickets online:

1- In which form will I get the tickets? (I am from Canada)
2- I will be now travelling with 2 others. If I buy all the tickets at the same time, how does seats assignment goes?
3- Santiago back to Madrid: how early would we need to be at the train station before departure time?

Thanks.

Here is Renfe travel information:
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/info/index.html

The buttons on the left are in English. Unfortunately the information is all in Spanish ... I have some but am not very fluent ... so you are advised to confirm my translations here.

-you can pay on board the train (CASH ONLY)
-you can purchase a ticket online
-you can buy a ticket at an auto check-in machine at the station (apparently operates Spanish only)
-you can purchase a ticket from a ticket agent at the station
-you can purchase a ticket from a travel agent (so one option is to try your local agent)

As near as I can tell tickets are:
-Paper as provided at point of sale
-Paper print out from your computer
-Electronic on a mobil device

My observation from using the train is that boarding the train is permitted up until the doors of the train are closed just prior to it moving off. If I were you, I'd want to be there at least 20 minutes prior ... the train leaves on time.

I haven't found information about how seats are assigned. I'd suggest trying it out. If you don't get seats together try changing on the train. It makes life easier for the conductor if you are in your assigned seat however they are relaxed about where you sit so long as you aren't interfering with anyone else.

Caveat ... the only time seat assignments were an issue was New Years day on a bus that was completly full. I got bounced out of seats several times before I told the young fellow in my assigned seat to move. It was like a game of musical chairs. (one fellow got mad when asked to move .. 'this is andalucia ... we don't sit in assigned seats' or words to that effect)

Last step before I make my purchase was to register as a user on renfre website which it is totally common practice. However since I never took the train anywhere, is it common practice to request for your passport number? I understnad when you are booking for flight as it is manditory but this is for a train ticket with no boarder crossing.

Just wanted to confirmed that it is common before I input some information to a foreign webiste.

Thanks

It is normal to give your passport number. Most albergues in Spain will want to look at it and record the number when you stay for the night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back