• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help planning Salvador Stages please?

LavanyaLea

Time of past OR future Camino
N Wales, Frances, Salvador, Primitivo 2022
Hi, just started looking into San Salvador end of September. Our team will be 2 peregrinos and 1 perregrino. At the moment, it doesn't seem like on the 2nd day at Poladura de la Tercia there will be a dog friendly accommodation (help?!).

So here is the current tentative plan:
Day 1: Leon to La Robla (27K) taking the river route out of Leon, stay at Hostal Ordoñez de Celis which accepts Fuji
Day 2: La Robla to Poladura de la Tercia (26K) but stay ??? or taxi to next accommodation at Llanos
Day 3: Poladura to Llanos de Someron (19K), taxi from Llanos back to Poladura in the morning to start walking. We will stay for 2 nights in Llanos (Albergue Cascoxu), the advantage then we can leave our backpack and only take a small bag to do this mountain route (yay! Silver linings).

Then plan A:
Day 4: Llanos to Campomanes (6K or 9K if taking the Munisteriu alternative), stay at Hotel Rural El Reundu
Day 5: Campomanes to Pola de Lena via Iglesia de Santa Cristina de Lena (6K), definitely can see the church before they close for siesta then, and take this as maybe a semi rest day. There are a few options in Pola de Lena for accommodation
Day 6: Pola de Lena to Mieres (15K) There are a few options here for accommodation
Day 7: Mieres to Oviedo (19K) There are a few options here for accommodation

Or plan B:
Day 4: Llanos to Pola de Lena (20K or 23K if taking the Munisteriu alt), via Iglesia de Santa Cristina de Lena
Day 5: Pola de Lena to Mieres (15K)
Day 6: Mieres to Oviedo (19K)

Planning to start on 25/9 to finish on 30/9 or 1/10.

Please let me know your thoughts, esp on accommodation in Poladura (day 2)/taxiing to our next day's accommodation. And breaking up the mountain stages. Thank you!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, @LavanyaLea,

I don’t want to be discouraging, but a taxi from Poladura to Llanos is likely to be complicated. The road route connecting the two is about 36 kms, which puts you already in the 50-70 € range, but the difficulty is that neither place is more than a hamlet. No taxi service in either town. Just from memory, your best option would probably be to get a taxi from La Robla or Campomanes to pick you up and take you there, but you would then have to add all those kms from the taxi starting point to pickup point in Llanos or Poladura and then back to taxi home.

One question — are you sure the Munisteriu lternative is 3 km longer? I thought @jungleboy said it was 300.m longer? I reacted at the time in his thread that it seemed like a much bigger difference than that to me when I walked in September, having done the Fresneo alternative already several times, but hey I am into my 70s now so I was chalking it up to slowing down.

I’m assuming you’ve done the rest of the stages based on dog-friendliness. In any event, you eem to have things all well thought out. Plan A and B both look fine, just depends on your own preferences of distances, I think.

Hoping you can figure something out for Poladura.

If La Robla is more straight forward then maybe we stay 2 nights in La Robla and after arriving in Poladura, taxi back to La Robla?

Thanks @peregrina2000 ! This is exactly the sort of thing we need help with :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One question — are you sure the Munisteriu lternative is 3 km longer? I thought @jungleboy said it was 300.m longer?
I think next time I have a bit of time, I’ll have a look at the GPS file and check…

As far as I know from being there a few days ago, there’s only the albergue and El Embrujo in Poladura and I assume you’ve tried both?
Yes, El Embrujo said no. And just now I tried the municipal (cos I always assumed they would say no) and they said “Noooooooooo” 😝

Currently thinking, Pajares may be a better option, as the route for the taxi seems more straight forward than to Llanos. So we will do: Poladura-Pajares-Campumenos-Pola de Lena.

And Pajares is one with the swimming pool and jacuzzi so seems like the place to stay for 2 days, drop our heavy bags, and go with a light bag across the mountain!

(Swimming pool in the Asturian hills in late September? Any thoughts? When we finished in SdC we treated ourselves with a hotel with pool, was sooo refreshing! Then I went inside and it started raining non stop for 24h 🤪)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Currently thinking, Pajares may be a better option, as the route for the taxi seems more straight forward than to Llanos. So we will do: Poladura-Pajares-Campumenos-Pola de Lena.

And Pajares is one with the swimming pool and jacuzzi so seems like the place to stay for 2 days, drop our heavy bags, and go with a light bag across the mountain!
Sounds good!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Update: The casa rural in Pajares put me in touch with taxi, who gave me reasonable price €28.

She was asking about the dog, told her I have a harness/belt system that clips into the car and muzzle if she wishes. And her reply was that she would see if she can borrow it from someone so that I don’t have to carry the extra weight!

Pajares is a much better stopping point — in fact there is public transport that stops there, but it probably has the same policy as the albergues. Using Pajares as the base puts your taxi much closer, probably in Villamanín.

So glad you sorted it out!

Pajares is a much better stopping point — in fact there is public transport that stops there, but it probably has the same policy as the albergues. Using Pajares as the base puts your taxi much closer, probably in Villamanín.

So glad you sorted it out!
Thank you! And thanks to you pointing out Llanos (or actually Spanish people shorten it to Someron as I’ve recently found out) is a bit out in the schtick for taxi!

Current plan:
Leon - La Robla via the river way
La Robla - Poladura, transfer to Pajares
Poladura - Pajares
Pajares - Campomanes
Campomanes - Mieres
Mieres - Oviedo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! And thanks to you pointing out Llanos (or actually Spanish people shorten it to Someron as I’ve recently found out) is a bit out in the schtick for taxi!

Current plan:
Leon - La Robla via the river way
La Robla - Poladura, transfer to Pajares
Poladura - Pajares
Pajares - Campomanes
Campomanes - Mieres
Mieres - Oviedo
The drawback with this plan is.... the Iglesia de Santa Cristina is only 2km away/half an hour stroll from Campomanes. They're only open from 11AM so it looks like I will have to visit the church on the day that I arrive in Campomanes, after walking from Pajares. Let's hope we still have energy for it! Or maybe the hotel may provide taxi........

@peregrina2000 either way, we won't arrive on Monday. Is there someone that I need to inform to let them know we'd like to visit the church, or will it be open regardless?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back