• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help please - transport Leon to Santiago

LindaH

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to SdC May/June (2016)
Has anyone completed the stages from Leon to Santiago by bus and/or train?

I am in Leon with a stress fracture in my right foot, shin splints and knee bursitis in my left leg :confused:. My walking companion and I would like to continue together - her walking and me in the train/bus - getting together as many evenings as possible to share accommodation and dinner. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Can you suggest the towns/villages we would be able to meet in (where there are train stations or bus stops)? Or is there a good website I can use to plan my transport?

Many thanks, Linda

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry to hear about that! Is a good site http://www.rome2rio.com Generally I would suggest to concentrate on the bigger places like Astorga, Villafranca and spend a couple of days there resting, waiting for her and then moving on. Doing this each day might be stressful and you need time to heal. Buen Camino, SY

Hi, Lindalt. I agree SYates post. But if you really need to join your walking companion daily, taking buses will be the best solution. Hope you will be better soon. Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry for your troubles. Rome2rio is probably your best source for information. For instance this page shows there are 5 buses per day from Leon to Villar de Mazarife on the Camino http://www.rome2rio.com/s/León-Spain/Villar-de-Mazarife. However you would have to return to Leon to get a bus onward to Astorga. Taxi or Car-hire will give you the greatest flexibility.

Good luck

I am in Leon with a stress fracture in my right foot, shin splints and knee bursitis in my left leg :confused:. My walking companion and I would like to continue together - her walking and me in the train/bus - getting together as many evenings as possible to share accommodation and dinner. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? Can you suggest the towns/villages we would be able to meet in (where there are train stations or bus stops)? Or is there a good website I can use to plan my transport?

Many thanks, Linda

Hi Linda, so sorry to hear this. Yes, it can be done, and rome2rio is the best website to use. Are you and your friend on WhatsApp? Then it’s easy to stay in touch, for free, as all the bars have wi-fi. This happened to my friend and I recently on the Portugues. She’d bus ahead to the next big town and I’d catch up in a day or two or three. Big towns were better for her, as she could rest up for a few hours, make her way to a museum, or a church, an art gallery, the movies, relax in a restaurant, research the next place to bus to, download some books onto the Kindle on her Smartphone, etc, etc, etc. When she arrived in the next town, at the bus station, she would find out the schedules for the buses to the next big town. Good luck! Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
León to San Martín del Camino by bus with www.alsa.es/en

San Martín del Camino to Astorga by bus with Alsa

Astorga to Foncebadón buses are operated by http://autocarespedrin.e.telefonica.net/servicios.html I don't think they run them daily (in fact, I think it won't be service most days of the week) but I'm just guessing so I could be wrong. They don't show schedules on their web so you would need to phone them to know days of operation. If the bus schedule doesn't suit you, your best bet would be to go all the way to Ponferrada (either by train with www.renfe.com or by bus with Alsa) and wait you walking companion there (to sleep at diferent locations one night wouldn't be a big problem, would it?).

Foncebadón to Ponferrada I don't think there are buses on this route so you would need to call a taxi (if you didn't decide to go all the way from Astorga to Ponferrada).

Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo by bus with www.alsa.es/en

Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro. Take a bus from Villafranca del Bierzo to Pedrafita do Cebreiro (roughly 4 or 5 kms away from O Cebreiro) with Alsa. The bus from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to O Cebreiro (operated by www.monbus.es) departs early in the morning (and doesn't run on Sundays) so you'll probably have to take a taxi for that short route.

O Cebreiro to Triacastela by bus with www.monbus.es (no service on Sundays)

Triacastela to Sarria by bus with Monbus (no service on Sundays)

Sarria to Portomarín by bus with www.empresaportomarin.com

Portomarín to Palas de Rei I don't think there's bus service (but check locally just in case) so taxi would be.

Palas de Rei to Arzúa by bus with www.empresafreire.com

Arzúa to O Pedrouzo by bus with Empresa Freire

O Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela by bus with Empresa Freire

Portomarin to Lugo with Monbus or Empresa Portomarin and Lugo to Palas de Rei with Empresa Freire.

Portomarin to Lugo with Monbus or Empresa Portomarin and Lugo to Palas de Rei with Empresa Freire.

Yes, that's an option from Portomarín to Palas de Rei. I didn't quote it because it's a big detour but I didn't realize it would be cheaper than a taxi so, as the OP isn't in a hurry, it's an option she could/should consider. Thank you for improving my post!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had a daily Camino Family member who's wife took a taxi each day, sometimes walking out to meet Frank. Sometimes for lunch they would rendezvous and other days he would walk 30Km and meet her in the afternoon. They did not stay in albergues.
Many albergues will understand your condition but please be patient with those that don't as there are some that will not even allow shipped bags. I would suggest finding or borrowing some good books or offering to help the hospitaleros to your ability. I am sorry for your injuries but jealous of your stories yet to be realized ......... Ultreya......... Willy/Utah/USA

Many thanks, Linda
I cant make any suggestions but I met a husband and wife doing it last year. Every morning he would walk with her to the bus stop/station, kiss her goodbye and walk off. I believe they were staying in hostels that she would have sorted by the time he arrived. It certainly seemed to be working as I met them a few times along the way.

Thanks so much for all the detailed replies! This has given me a great start to plan my own transport from here on. I think the buses will be the best option and cheaper than taxis! I had no idea there were so many different companies but used Alsa from Sahagun to Leon so I know they're fine. I wouldn't feel good about using Albergues when I am no longer walking but hopefully will be able to find economical alternatives. My friend will stay in Albergues on the in-between nights.

Thanks again to you all - what a great resource thus forum is:)
Linda

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks so much for all the detailed replies! This has given me a great start to plan my own transport from here on. I think the buses will be the best option and cheaper than taxis! I had no idea there were so many different companies but used Alsa from Sahagun to Leon so I know they're fine. I wouldn't feel good about using Albergues when I am no longer walking but hopefully will be able to find economical alternatives. My friend will stay in Albergues on the in-between nights.

Thanks again to you all - what a great resource thus forum is:)
Linda

As a gentle courtesy to your walking companion, I would suggest that your friend may not be able to join you as often as you wish--he/she may need different rest days, be exhausted and fall short in the walk, et cetera. I trust that your friendly and adventurous spirit will serve you well in making some new friends, so I bet this is part of "your" unique Camino! So sorry you have been injured, and I liked the suggestion of not having to go someplace new every day. Great idea.

I think it is too difficult to coordinate meeting places; you may find that every third day or so you can get together. For the walking companion (of someone with an injury) it can impose a stress that is unnecessary in worrying about hitting the meeting place. Just be aware of that.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back