• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

HELP! Presentation to local school!

newfydog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
A good friend of mine teaches French and Spanish at the local high school. She has coerced me into making a presentation on our pilgrimages to her students.

Does anyone have a nice source of pictures I can download which would help? I need some good overview maps, pictures which give a historical framework etc. Also, a few photos of a happy albergue full of student types might be nice. My pictures are biased towards old boring people.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've got a nice photo of five young people walking together along a road. I could e-mail it to you if you want- just PM me your e-mail address. I scanned a map out of a guidebook and used that in a presentation I made- acknowledging which book it was from.
Margaret

It would be very easy to take umbrage to your post.
Given my age (69 very soon) I am confused.
What do you want?
Photographs of "Happy students" or "old boring people".
How about photographs of "PILGRIMS"
May I suggest that you re-phrase your request - how about -"Pilgrims on the Camino, as it really is". Nobody is boring we are ALL real people doing something that we love. Age matters not and if you think that it does - wait a while - I hope that Old Age comes to you.
I should add that I am planning my sixth Pilgrimage for next year. Does that make me vvvvvv old boring person..

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry you took offense, fellow Pilgrim. I assure you, I am not far from your age, and in my ancient wisdom, I know that quite a few students would find us both boring. My pictures are bias toward old boring people because people like me are in them. I'm trying to show them that the Camino is for everyone, and that there is more to the world of travel than hanging out on those beaches in Costa Rica and SE Asia.

I sympathise as well as all the usual challenges training/teaching the 'app generation' one has to battle with the phenomenon of continuous partial attention.
But don't worry just give a short intro and if you presentation format allows put up a montage of youtube links of Camino related subjects and then let your audience select the one/s they want to watch. The Youtube Camino inventory is huge with themes ranging from lyrical/heroic landscapes to groups of youngsters strolling under the stars or even the intriguingly gross lancing of blisters. The format and (for the most part) the youth of 'presenters' will form a 'connect' for your audience and hopefully engage them with your subject
Yes I know this is a low and cunning trick to get under their radar....... but I'm not proud :oops: .

Have you considered using all or excerpts from the following
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLF3Fi1W6OY[/youtube]
It gives a good background into why people walk the camino for varying reasons, interviews a wide age range of pilgrims and shows off the scenery of the Camino.

Regards
Mig

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had always promised my young nephew that I would walk a Camino with him when he finished school. He walked with me (as part of his Gap year) and my amaWalker group in September. Our oldest was 71 and Brian was the youngest at 19. They got on tremendously! This is an email I got from him after the walk.

Thanks so much to all of you that put up with my young ignorance on the Camino hahaha - it was great fun. i wont lie when i heard who i was gonna be on the trip with i thought 'oh god' loads of older people. i thought it was gonna be one of those trips that i would be counting down the days till i good leave and speak to people of my own age. but my goodness how wong was i!! i had such a great time it blew my mind. i spent the whole of the 10th walking up and down the madrid airport cause i was at that stage addicted to walking haha the last night we spent together was so good. home cooked meals and a good laugh at the funny pictures on my phone. i went to bed that night wishing i could have just one more day with these old birds and one old man.

Sil i'm not kidding when i say that the trip was the highlight of my travels i often find my mind drifting off to the view of Pamplona from the top of that mountain. i cant wait to have another crack at the camino. i have put it on my list of things to finish and i will try my very best to get it down before you peg so that we can have a good chat about the second Caminoi]

Thanks for the You tube idea! I have never cruised youtube for camino stuff, I usually get stuck in the stupid pet tricks.

I'm sure I'll be able to show Miguel's excellent trailer. If nothing else, I'll ask them to pull out their phones (strictly against the rules!) and watch it.

sillydoll said:
i have put it on my list of things to finish and i will try my very best to get it down before you peg so that we can have a good chat about the second Caminoi]
Lol sil I love your nephew already..... this bit about 'before you peg' made me crack up!!! Hope he gets the chance to go back and do the whole thing before he gets to be one of the 'old people'!
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
newfydog said:
A good friend of mine teaches French and Spanish at the local high school. She has coerced me into making a presentation on our pilgrimages to her students.

Does anyone have a nice source of pictures I can download which would help? I need some good overview maps, pictures which give a historical framework etc. Also, a few photos of a happy albergue full of student types might be nice. My pictures are biased towards old boring people.
Can I suggest that you check the aim of the presentation. If it is to talk about your pilgrimages then outside input is a minor enhancement and it will be your enthusiasm for your own Camino that needs to come across.
All the other ideas are great if the aim is pilgrimage in general, so long as you can put the same enthusiasm into it.
Good luck :)

The first rule of presentations is "Know your audience".

I think kids are completely cynical with ppt presentations and speeches, so I would intersperse it with a little activity and discussion, such as "So now I've described how many days you would walk on, for example, CF: "What do you think you would REALLY need for those ~30 days, that you would be willing to carry the whole time?" "Or what things could you do to save money on the camino?" They could do little groups and then present. I think that might be fun. You could also pose the question: Why would anybody want to walk a Camino? What could you possibly get out of that?".

So basically just breaking up the presentation and letting them get engaged in the subject and encouraging them to use their very adventurous minds would be fun.

IMHO.

lynne

Thanks Lynne. These are language classes, and one point I hope to make is that believe it or not, those language classes can be useful one day. I think I'll ask them to help with a list of 10 most important phrases for a Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here are some phrases from my favouorite Spanish Phrase Book:

Where is that $@%#& yellow arrow?
¿Donde está esta $#@%^&*^%#$ flecha amarilla?

Is this albergue free of bed bugs?I
¿Hay bichos en este albergue?

The first one who snores gets a boot in the nose
El primero que ronca recibe mi zapato en la nariz

I only need one bed. My manservant will sleep with the horses
Solo necesito una cama. Mi sirviente dormirá con los caballos.

Is that a piece of tortilla española in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
¿Es esto un pedazo de tortilla lo que tienes en tu bolsa o es solo que te alegras de verme?

I’d like a bottle of beer. Make that a whole keg.
Me gustaría una botella de cerveza. Mejor me da toda la barrica

Have you got a strong box for my jewelry?
¿Hay una caja fuerte para mis joyas?

Is there room service after midnight
¿Hay servicio en cama después de la medianoche?

When are you giving the presentation? I am going to be giving one in Portland at St. Mary's Cathedral with two other pilgrims in April. I'd be happy to offer some help and share what we are working on. Kids are a lot of fun to share this kind of stuff with...I am sure you can come up with something engaging that will capture their attention.

Also, if you use the trailers/clips from "The Camino Documentary" http://www.caminodocumentary.org, be sure to let the kids know it's still in post-production just over the mountain in Portland! :)

The presentations went great! Thanks to all who gave me advice.

It turned out to be 7th and 8th grade students, an age when I know I was incorrigable, but they tolerated it well. Four presentations in a day gave me some respect for our teachers.

I started with history, moved onto the modern pilgrimage, and paused to show the wonderful trailer to the Camino Documentary. Then I showed pictures of our trips, From Prague to Santiago, interspersed with stories of why languages can be useful.

The most facinating picture?----A salade gourmande in France, with jambon cru, duck egg and foie gras. Utterly disgusting to them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.