• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help re Camino in Galicia under Covid19

Naja Nadia

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone
I just joined the forum and I am not quite sure I fully understand how it works, but here I go:
I have long planned to walk the French Camino this spring but must admit that I have been underestimating Covid19 - I thought the situation would have been different at the moment. I have therefore looked for alternative options, now the whole route isn't an option.
On a page in Denmark, I have been able to see that the Albergues in Galicia are open, is this true? If this is true, I thought that I might walk the part of the route that is possible to walk in Galicia. However, I have some questions. I do not know what evil I expect to be waiting for me on the Camino, but I feel a little in doubt as to whether it will be "safe" to walk the route. This, for me, is primarily about the fact that I assume there are not very many pilgrims on the route under Covid19 - I think under normal circumstances you will find some security and help in your fellow pilgrims.
I would therefore like to hear if there is anyone in this forum who knows if there are any pilgrims on the route in Galicia?
Are the Albergues in Galicia open?
Has anyone gone to Galicia during Covid19 who wants to tell me a little about the trip?
Does anyone walk in Galicia right now, or have plans to do it in the present future?
And last but not least, is it safe to walk the Camino in Galicia, alone as a young woman right now?
I have no previous experience with the Camino and I, therefore, hope that you can excuse my possible ignorance.

Last but not least, I am not personally concerned about Covid-19, still I will of course intend to follow Spanish guidelines and other guidelines I encounter on my journey.
I hope you can help me

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome to the forum! This is an excellent place to get information about the Camino. However, there are so many unknowns related to travel to and in Spain, currently, that I don't think anyone can answer your questions with any real confidence.

Here is a thread, written only a week ago, and things have not changed much since then. To catch up on all the thinking, read all the recent threads, watch Ivar's video updates, and follow-up with the links suggested on that thread to figure out the various regional restrictions on travel in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nadia, one of the best planning tools for the camino is a website called Gronze.com. It shows the different possible daily stages for the camino, the route map, the topography, and places to stay in each town. So it will be very easy for you to type a stage in Galicia to become more familiar with the route, towns and places to stay. Buen Camino! Bob

Hello everyone
I just joined the forum and I am not quite sure I fully understand how it works, but here I go:
I have long planned to walk the French Camino this spring but must admit that I have been underestimating Covid19 - I thought the situation would have been different at the moment. I have therefore looked for alternative options, now the whole route isn't an option.
On a page in Denmark, I have been able to see that the Albergues in Galicia are open, is this true? If this is true, I thought that I might walk the part of the route that is possible to walk in Galicia. However, I have some questions. I do not know what evil I expect to be waiting for me on the Camino, but I feel a little in doubt as to whether it will be "safe" to walk the route. This, for me, is primarily about the fact that I assume there are not very many pilgrims on the route under Covid19 - I think under normal circumstances you will find some security and help in your fellow pilgrims.
I would therefore like to hear if there is anyone in this forum who knows if there are any pilgrims on the route in Galicia?
Has anyone gone to Galicia during Covid19 who wants to tell me a little about the trip?
Does anyone walk in Galicia right now, or have plans to do it in the present future?
And last but not least, is it safe to walk the Camino in Galicia, alone as a young woman right now?
I have no previous experience with the Camino and I, therefore, hope that you can excuse my possible ignorance.

Last but not least, I am not personally concerned about Covid-19, still I will of course intend to follow Spanish guidelines and other guidelines I encounter on my journey.
I hope you can help me
When do you plan to walk?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everyone

I hope you can help me
I can't answer any of your questions about the ability to walk the Camino now or the near future.
I can tell you that the Camino is very, very safe. Hopefully when you walk the Camino Frances the pilgrims will be coming back. I have a few pieces of advice. I am sure that you will meet many people that you can walk with especially starting in St. Jean. Staying in albergues is a great way to meet people. Just saying hello on the Camino, in the albergue, or having a coffee to another pilgrim will get that friendship started faster than you can say Buen Camino. If you want you will have a small group of other pilgrims that you can walk with if you like that. If you are alone and you ever feel uncomfortable wait a few minutes I am sure a few pilgrims will appear and just say hi may I walk with you? Of course will be the answer from any of us.
Finally (as I have written many times before) please check out this website run by the Spanish government and download the app called AlertCops.

It is a free app that you can activate if you are lost, hurt or feel like you need help from the police. Download the app and follow the directions. I know you can download and have directions in a few languages. If you need help you will be immediately put in touch with (in my case) an English speaking person. There is a GPS so they know where you are and can locate you and if need be come to you should you need help.

I think everyone should have this app on their cell phone when they walk in Spain.

Hope this helps. Buen Camino.

PS Remember and this has happened to me a few times. I along with old dads like myself have been approached by young female pilgrims when they have felt uncomfortable. As the father of two wonderful young women, old dads like us will come to your side to help faster then you can imagine. Remember we are not only walking for ourselves but also we are walking for our daughters too! So find one of us when you need a Camino dad for an hour or a day or as long as you like. Believe me you will make us feel wanted and great!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't answer any of your questions about the ability to walk the Camino now or the near future.
I can tell you that the Camino is very, very safe. Hopefully when you walk the Camino Frances the pilgrims will be coming back. I have a few pieces of advice. I am sure that you will meet many people that you can walk with especially starting in St. Jean. Staying in albergues is a great way to meet people. Just saying hello on the Camino, in the albergue, or having a coffee to another pilgrim will get that friendship started faster than you can say Buen Camino. If you want you will have a small group of other pilgrims that you can walk with if you like that. If you are alone and you ever feel uncomfortable wait a few minutes I am sure a few pilgrims will appear and just say hi may I walk with you? Of course will be the answer from any of us.
Finally (as I have written many times before) please check out this website run by the Spanish government and download the app called AlertCops.

It is a free app that you can activate if you are lost, hurt or feel like you need help from the police. Download the app and follow the directions. I know you can download and have directions in a few languages. If you need help you will be immediately put in touch with (in my case) an English speaking person. There is a GPS so they know where you are and can locate you and if need be come to you should you need help.

I think everyone should have this app on their cell phone when they walk in Spain.

PS Remember and this has happened to me a few times. I along with old dads like myself have been approached by young female pilgrims when they have felt uncomfortable. As the father of two wonderful young women, old dads like us will come to your side to help faster then you can imagine. Remember we are not only walking for ourselves but also we are walking for our daughters too! So find one of us when you need a Camino dad for an hour or a day or as long as you like. Believe me you will make us feel wanted and great!
Thank you. Have installed the app now. And I can confirm, we old dads/granddads are really looking out for people of all ages in need of help, for sure. Fortunately, the Camino is a peaceful place: In 12 years of walking, I have never seen anything disturbing.

But I notice that the app has its own reporting icon for "Squatting". I may use it if I see it...

Last edited:

Thank you so much for this incredible answer. I am very happy to read this it helps me a lot.
Really i want to thank all of you how has answered my question - it really means a lot to me. It is great to “meet” so many kind and helpfull people!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back