Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help request for my first camino

keiholee

Time of past OR future Camino
(Aug. 2017)
I plan to take a minimum Camino from Lugo to Santiago in early August. Do I need to bring a wind jacket or poncho, because I have no idea about weather condition along the way in that period?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are planning on walking in Gallicia in August so there is a chance there will be rain..have a good look at this link: .http://www.holiday-weather.com/galicia/averages/august/

My first Camino trip was early August for the Santiago to Finisterre trip and I brought little rain protection, denim jeans and cotton tshirts....and it worked out fine. Looking back on it having done other weeks on the Camino I realise now how lucky and foolish I was. I have corrected all those errors and rain gear is put in the bag first regardless of what the weather forecast tells me. On the Portugues at easter 2016 I bought a 2 euro disposable poncho in Mos...even that was better to have than nothing!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are planning on walking in Gallicia in August so there is a chance there will be rain..have a good look at this link: .http://www.holiday-weather.com/galicia/averages/august/

My first Camino trip was early August for the Santiago to Finisterre trip and I brought little rain protection, denim jeans and cotton tshirts....and it worked out fine. Looking back on it having done other weeks on the Camino I realise now how lucky and foolish I was. I have corrected all those errors and rain gear is put in the bag first regardless of what the weather forecast tells me. On the Portugues at easter 2016 I bought a 2 euro disposable poncho in Mos...even that was better to have than nothing!
Than

As everyone else has said - yes, for bare minimum, bring a waterproof top. I'm looking at Camino Madrid onto Salvador/Primitivo or Invierno (can't make up my mind!) and I'll definitely be taking waterproof top & bottoms - I'm not a poncho kind of guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had a super lightweight rain jacket in May. I think I wore it once between Lugo and Santiago. For maybe an hour at most. It was too hot and I found it more comfortable to just get wet. The rain was always light except for one day when it poured for about an hour and that's when I wore it. Wore my rain skirt once on the whole trip too.
Are you from a warm climate? A light rain jacket will probably be a good idea. Make sure you have a pack cover too. Some people like ponchos better. I hate them, they are like saunas. Another one of those personal preference things. Look at the long range forecast the day before you leave and make your decision based on that. It's hard to say what the weather will be like this far out.
But be aware that rain pants in August are going to make you overheat in all likely hood. Walking generates a lot of heat.

I plan to take a minimum Camino from Lugo to Santiago in early August. Do I need to bring a wind jacket or poncho, because I have no idea about weather condition along the way in that period?
There are hardly any fountains or bars on the Primitivo until you reach Melide. Make sure you take enough water. You can read about our struggle to find water in my blog. The first part of the Primitivo is the worst but the first day out Lugo is only slightly better.

http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/packing-camino-de-santiago/

I had a super lightweight rain jacket in May. I think I wore it once between Lugo and Santiago. For maybe an hour at most. It was too hot and I found it more comfortable to just get wet. The rain was always light except for one day when it poured for about an hour and that's when I wore it. Wore my rain skirt once on the whole trip too.
Are you from a warm climate? A light rain jacket will probably be a good idea. Make sure you have a pack cover too. Some people like ponchos better. I hate them, they are like saunas. Another one of those personal preference things. Look at the long range forecast the day before you leave and make your decision based on that. It's hard to say what the weather will be like this far out.
But be aware that rain pants in August are going to make you overheat in all likely hood. Walking generates a lot of heat.
I go for quick dry shorts if it's going to rain...your skin will dry quicker if it is not being marinated in long trousers under waterproof pants.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back