• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

HELP! Someone has taken boots from Tui Albergue

Walli Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Many. First 2009 and still going.
We stayed at Tui last night. When we left this morning Mike's boots were gone and a similar pair left. We have walked to Porriño but Mike can walk no further in the other boots. He has had a knee replacement and the boots are giving him hell. We shall take a taxi to Redondela in the hope of finding his boots at the albergue. If anyone is in this area and knows anything about his boots please reply here or email me at Jacki.dufty1@bigpond.com. They are Keens with orange and black striped laces. I am praying to St James that this is not the end of our camino.
Jacki.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Try ringing the albergues in Redondela or Mos, I had a friend who picked up someone's boots by mistake and it became quite known amongst pilgrims who knew her, something similar may have happened here and someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

It is not convenient and may not fit into your time schedule, but you could take the bus or train to Santiago and find boots there. There is a Decathlon store (I personally think they sell a lot of poorly made equipment, but many extol their inventory), and a good sporting goods store in the center of town:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.877...scXhWoSJZosV2sKj8CZTw0w!2e0!3e5!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Good luck with your continuation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is not convenient and may not fit into your time schedule, but you could take the bus or train to Santiago and find boots there. There is a Decathlon store (I personally think they sell a lot of poorly made equipment, but many extol their inventory), and a good sporting goods store in the center of town:

http://deportescaneda.com/

Good luck with your continuation.
There is also a Decathlon in Vigo (see here). Shortish taxi ride from O Porrino.

Good luck with the Boot Quest!
Mig

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here's hoping it was an accident.

It happens quite a lot, who knows every individual reason but I know in the mornings people have stumbled into another persons boots and then not realised until later the error. If the boots left are on their last legs then it could be an opportunist person , the girl I knew had swapped one pair of Scarpa for another on leaving Pedrouzo at 5 in the morning, it was a combination of darkness and last morning expectation.

Oh man, I'm so sorry this happened to you.
It IS very possible it was a mistake.
One of my walkers arrived in Roncesvalles one year, really upset because on the trail, she squatted to have a toilet,
and realized in horror that the shoes she was wearing had red fingernail polish on the tips of the laces.
She had not noticed in the dark.
They were the same brand, same size..

Anyway, I would bus ahead to the next logical stage and see if you can't find them.
And if not, I guess new shoes will have to do.
That's a shame.

Thank you, Everyone. Mike and his boots have been reunited at Redondela.
The Camino Angel, Javier Marban from the Ass. galena Amigos do Camiño de Santiago saw us looking very glum in Porriño and kindly drove us to Redondela where we met up with David and Jessica. David had inadvertently put on the wrong boots this morning and hadn't realised for quite some kilometres. After much hugging and tears they have promised to take us out to dinner.
Thank you all for your concern. I was so afraid that our camino was over.
So what if we have missed a stage - we don't care.
Jacki x

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Camino Angel, Javier Marban from the Ass. galena Amigos do Camiño de Santiago saw us looking very glum in Porriño and kindly drove us to Redondela where we met up with David and Jessica. David had inadvertently put on the wrong boots this morning and hadn't realised for quite some kilometres. After much hugging and tears they have promised to take us out to dinner.
Jacki x
Great and happy ending!

Should make for a great meal.

Tie the laces partly together, at least it gives someone in the morning who is half asleep something to think about and might stop them wandering off with the wrong shoes. I always check to see if there is similar footwear, if there is then I tie them.

The first thing I did last year when I settled on my camino boots was to change out the laces to a horrid bright pinkish purple. And I'd tie the laces together before placing them on the boot shelf. I figured at least I would be able to pick them out of a line up!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jacki x
Congratulations! You have passed the Boot Test part of this Camino. I have always believed that we are exactly where we are supposed to be, you have not missed a stage of your Camino. You have had an adventure, met new friends, allowed Javier to render a kindness which is a blessing to him, now you have a free dinner to look forward to! I wonder what is next in your Camino?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Put a pine cone into each boot at night before putting them onto the shelf.
Tie the laces partly together
The first thing I did last year when I settled on my camino boots was to change out the laces to a horrid bright pinkish purple.

Very good advice, I think I'll do all of the above mentioned on my next Camino.

I'm glad the shoeswapping ended in a good way! And that you can continue your Camino.
Buen Camino to you and Mike

I'm fairly sure the pine cone technique was suggested by another Forum member some time ago; I never did employ this trick myself. My boots were red (a lovely shade) so there was little chance of someone mistaking them for his own. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have posted this before...but I always try to tie one of my shoes together with someone I am walking with and put on a different shelf.
It is even better if you match up with a man/women pair.
Not likely someone will accidently take a mismatched pair. Those shopping for an upgrade will hopefully keep looking.
Simple but it seems as if it works.

I love the bright shoelaces ideas, but after this thread, it's possible that at the first albergue I'll find that all the boots lined up together have the same garish pinkish purplish color laces! And all the boots will have pinecones in their toes!
I still have my original grey laces just incase. :)

glad to hear it was indeed a happy ending. hurray to Javier !!

what a bummer though to find that ones boots are a "gonner" in the morning - on a camino that's akin to having ones car taken on your 'other' vacation.... or on your way to work...
i dare say - if i may - a general appeal might in order ?!?!:rolleyes:
PLEASE be really and fully awake in the morning (yes, even prior to that cafe con leche / cafe au lait / cafe latte, etc etc ) meaning: bright eyed and bushy-tailed -- before one rumbles and tumbles about on just the 'pilot light' and then walks off with someone elses footgear. (or someone elses whatever else...)

why? ones woozyness might be cause for someone elses 'end of the camino' -
intentionally or unintentionally - it's bloody cold comfort for the one finding him/herself left behind w/ someone elses shoes/boots.
and also hurray for walli walker / mike for keeping their spirits up... inspite of the fear that it potentially could have ended their camino for this time around.
hats off to you both !
and now of course a even more heartfelt: buen camino ~ bom caminho !

Can someone explain the rule to me? More specifically - I hike in sandals. I don't carry "camp shoes" nor flip flops.

If the rule is to put your enclosed (smelly) footwear in a dedicated "festival of odors" installation, fine.

If the rule is one Pilgrim -> one footwear in the rack, that's another story. (should I purchase infant shoes to satisfy the rule? :)

I keep trying to imagine how it would be possible to put on someone else's shoes and not notice it. We have a saying in geology "it happened, therefore it is possible" but iI still find it easier to imagine the evolution of the platypus than heading out in someone else's shoes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love the bright shoelaces ideas, but after this thread, it's possible that at the first albergue I'll find that all the boots lined up together have the same garish pinkish purplish color laces! And all the boots will have pinecones in their toes!
How about using different coloured laces - say green for the right boot and red/pink for the left boot. Love the pine cone suggestion.

I keep trying to imagine how it would be possible to put on someone else's shoes and not notice it. We have a saying in geology "it happened, therefore it is possible" but iI still find it easier to imagine the evolution of the platypus than heading out in someone else's shoes.
Hey newfydog - stop picking on one of my favourite animals. To see a wild platypus swimming in a quiet stream is magic. A bit like seeing a Nth American eagle fly!
(BTW when the first dead one arrived in England it was considered a hokes. It took a live one to convince naturalists that it was genuine.) Cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed at Tui last night. When we left this morning Mike's boots were gone and a similar pair left. We have walked to Porriño but Mike can walk no further in the other boots. He has had a knee replacement and the boots are giving him hell. We shall take a taxi to Redondela in the hope of finding his boots at the albergue. If anyone is in this area and knows anything about his boots please reply here or email me at Jacki.dufty1@bigpond.com. They are Keens with orange and black striped laces. I am praying to St James that this is not the end of our camino.
Jacki.[/QUOTE So excited to see a post from my lovely friends, whose boots decided to get a head start on them. That's a first. And, ......amazed by the number of replies it generated. There is a great tribe out there. Good to hear that Mike was reunited with his boots, and another friendship forged. From the friend who is doing her first Camino in 2016.

The first thing I did last year when I settled on my camino boots was to change out the laces to a horrid bright pinkish purple. And I'd tie the laces together before placing them on the boot shelf. I figured at least I would be able to pick them out of a line up!!

Did the same with mine, red laces for ease of identification ( & to make me go faster!! ;-)).....& tied 'em up when there were similar looking shoes around...

Hey newfydog - stop picking on one of my favourite animals. To see a wild platypus swimming in a quiet stream is magic. A bit like seeing a Nth American eagle fly!
(BTW when the first dead one arrived in England it was considered a hokes. It took a live one to convince naturalists that it was genuine.) Cheers
Off topic but anyhow.. During the first world war they seemed to hang a monkey because they thought it was a German spy. All happened in Hartlepool in the north east of England.:p

Off topic but anyhow.. During the first world war they seemed to hang a monkey because they thought it was a German spy. All happened in Hartlepool in the north east of England.:p

I come from North Yorkshire about 30 miles south from Hartlepool, people in the region still refer to as them as Monkey Hangers, not sure if its true but it makes for a good story, .https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger

I picked up some white nail polish and painted hearts on the ends of my poles and the tips of my boots. I'm on the Camino right now and can identify my stuff immediately.

Last edited:
I come from North Yorkshire about 30 miles south from Hartlepool, people in the region still refer to as them as Monkey Hangers, not sure if its true but it makes for a good story, .https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_hanger
That's what you remind me now.. Monkey Hangers...:D

I used to stay for 2 to 3 times a year for many years in Geo'die land... Sunderland...Sunderland...Sunderland (well know melody). Howay the lads !
And heard about the story once... Nice area by the way. I have to come back one day to drink a Newcastle brown and walk along the Hadrian wall to Carlisle.

Cheers !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jacki.
How did it turn out for you? I hope that you either found the boots or managed to find a solidly comfortable replacement. Cheers! Sonya

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back