• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help! Trying to lighten my load for a trip in April/May

Walkergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016
I thought I had very little but my pack weighs 18 lbs without H2O! Will I need rain pants, a thin down jacket (I am bringing a thin fleece) and a rain poncho in addition to a rain jacket? My understanding is that the weather is likely to be very wet in the spring and any temperature could show up. Other items...sleeping bag, water bag, 1 pr convertible pants, 1 pr shorts, 2 long sleeved tops, 1 t shirt, 1 pr leggings and a dress, Tom's light shoes, flip flops, hiking boots, gators, baseball cap, thin wool cap and gloves, guidebook, journal & pen, 3 pr undies, laundry powder plug and line, knife, phone, 1 pr medium socks, 1 pr lighter socks, 2 pr liner socks, pjs (doubles as long undies), small towel, in addition to toiletry items and a light day pack just in case I decide to send the pack ahead on days when I am tired (also serves as a bag for groceries, for overflow for the plane...). My pack weighs 3 lbs and my sleeping bag 2 1/4 lbs. I'm trying to look for items to cut! I am considering working on plan B..additional strength training!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Will I need rain pants, a thin down jacket (I am bringing a thin fleece) and a rain poncho in addition to a rain jacket? Other items...sleeping bag, water bag, 1 pr convertible pants, 1 pr shorts, 2 long sleeved tops, 1 t shirt, 1 pr leggings and a dress, Tom's light shoes, flip flops, hiking boots, gators, baseball cap, thin wool cap and gloves, guidebook, journal & pen, 3 pr undies, laundry powder plug and line, knife, phone, 1 pr medium socks, 1 pr lighter socks, 2 pr liner socks, pjs (doubles as long undies), small towel, in addition to toiletry items and a light day pack
No rain pants.
Choose between the thin down jacket and the thin fleece.
Choose between the rain jacket and the poncho. (Choose a poncho like an Altus or Packa that also covers your pack.)
One long sleeve.
No leggings, no dress.
Choose between the light shoes and the flip flops.
Journal is a luxury!
A silk sleeping sack can replace your sleeping bag and save a couple of pounds. You can supplement it with blankets, or wearing clothes at night.

Buen camino.

No rain pants.
Choose between the thin down jacket and the thin fleece.
Choose between the rain jacket and the poncho. (Choose a poncho like an Altus or Packa that also covers your pack.)
One long sleeve.
No leggings, no dress.
Choose between the light shoes and the flip flops.
Journal is a luxury!
A silk sleeping sack can replace your sleeping bag and save a couple of pounds. You can supplement it with blankets, or wearing clothes at night.

Buen camino.
Thank you for your response. I am always freezing, and I have read that it can be snowy and very windy at that time of year...you're sure I can shed all of these warm things in the top half of the post and the sleeping bag?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Walkergirl,
We all have our own preferences and fixed ideas. Falcon is a Camino guru, certainly, but I would differ slightly. I've always walked in the spring too--between March and May. I'd say:
No gators, if your rain pants are very light-weight and long enough to go over the tops of your boots (use elastic loops on the bottom of the legs?). On a very wet day, I find rain pants very useful, but I've never felt the need for gators. Convertible pants can serve as your shorts, and the leggings (okay as second hiking pants?) could replace the pj bottoms (or vice versa!) I'd keep the two long-sleeves, as sun protection, and one short--as you have decided. You shouldn't need a down jacket, particularly if you can layer the fleece under a very very light (cyclist's type) wind jacket. I'm on the side of ponchos! You have to take off your backpack to put on a jacket (unless you can wear it as a cape to cover your backpack too, as my clever br-in-law has done). Keep your sleeping bag, if it zips open as a blanket (not every albergue has those, and it can get cold at the higher elevations), and possibly you can find a slightly lighter-weight one cheaply. A very small journal is fine--but without a fancy thick cover!
You'll be fine--Buen camino!!

Eighteen pounds of pack without water and snacks will turn to 20 pounds or so with them.
Yeah, ditch the gaiters. You ain't climbing Everest.
Maybe replace the hiking boots with trail runners. Your feet will thank you, and there is an old formula of 1 pound of weight on the feet= 8 pounds on the back.
Yeah, ditch the rain pants. Poncho or jacket. Choose one. I like breathable rain jackets. Maybe because of bad experiences with ponchos in the military. They always seemed like sweat bags to me. If you do bring a jacket instead, make sure you have a waterproof pack cover.
Fleece or down jacket choose one. The one advantage I've found with breathable rain jackets is that they can be used as a top layer over the fleece or down if need be while you are roaming about.
Maybe find a lighter sleeping bag (2+ pounds sounds heavy) if you can, or a bag liner. A lot of the albergues have blankets available as well.
Nothing for sure can be predictable, especially weather what-if's when you walk 500 miles across a country, but you definitely don't want to walk with unnecessary weight on your back.
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
you're sure I can shed all of these warm things
Long silk underwear, T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, light down jacket, and poncho. It will be impossible to be cold! I just did it in January, and I was fine (I did take a sleeping bag, but in the spring and summer, my nylon liner is adequate. I have mailed a sleeping bag home twice and thrown one away when I took them in April). Even on chilly mornings, you probably will be shedding layers within fifteen minutes. If you keep your hands warm with gloves and head warm with the knit cap, everything will feel warm!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I froze in the cold and rainy May if 2013. So glad I had rain pants and Altus. Ended up buying sleeping bag and gloves. Ditch the dress and leggings: in the evening wearvwhat you will be walking in the next day. Ditch the gators.

Definitely would keep rain pants for April/May. In 2012 we had rain almost every day through Galicia. It was cold in mid-April so layers will be important. Keep checking the weather reports and fine-tune as you get closer to departure time.

I walked May last year and was sweating most days - a t-shirt and thin jacket did most of the job. Days varied from 18-23 degrees, and 23 proved to be quitre hard in open areas with sun on you all the time.
If you can endure Toronto's weather, it will probably very pleasant for you to walk at that time.

Of course there are always unpredictable things, but you are not going to the jungle. It's a walk among lovely cities. Maybe you could ditch a lot of the winter stuff and buy them when you need, if you need!

But in short, I'd drop the dress, the gators, the light shoes and the wooly cap (normal cap will do). You certainly do not need rain jacket + rain poncho, choose the most comfortable one. Same thing with fleece and down jacket. If you feel cold, just wear all the shirts and you will be more than fine.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I thought I had very little but my pack weighs 18 lbs without H2O! Will I need rain pants, a thin down jacket (I am bringing a thin fleece) and a rain poncho in addition to a rain jacket? My understanding is that the weather is likely to be very wet in the spring and any temperature could show up. Other items...sleeping bag, water bag, 1 pr convertible pants, 1 pr shorts, 2 long sleeved tops, 1 t shirt, 1 pr leggings and a dress, Tom's light shoes, flip flops, hiking boots, gators, baseball cap, thin wool cap and gloves, guidebook, journal & pen, 3 pr undies, laundry powder plug and line, knife, phone, 1 pr medium socks, 1 pr lighter socks, 2 pr liner socks, pjs (doubles as long undies), small towel, in addition to toiletry items and a light day pack just in case I decide to send the pack ahead on days when I am tired (also serves as a bag for groceries, for overflow for the plane...). My pack weighs 3 lbs and my sleeping bag 2 1/4 lbs. I'm trying to look for items to cut! I am considering working on plan B..additional strength training!

Walkergirl:

Keep the rain pants. They not only keep you dry but are a great windbreaker. Only one, rain jacket or poncho, you pick. I prefer a lightweight sleeping bag. Mine is 1 lb 8 oz's. I would not walk a Spring or Fall Camino without one. Dump the shorts you have convertible pants. One long sleeve shirt, Light shoes or flip flops, fleece versus down jacket, dump the gators, dress?

That said, these are my thoughts. You should bring whatever makes you comfortable. The Camino will show you what you really need.

Ultreya,
Joe

Skip the shorts since you've got convertible pants
1 long sleeve shirt will be enough.
One of fleece or down jacket.
No gators.
No laundry powder, plug and line.
Are the leggings for sleeping?
I never go anywhere without a rain jacket - for wind, rain, cold. I prefer rain pants and jacket to a poncho, but you should have a rain cover for your pack.
Make that a very small journal, and tear pages out of your guide that aren't needed.
How light is your day pack.
There is likely lots of weight to be saved in your toiletries.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One rather radical solution, alled with all the helpful suggestions already given, is to choose a smaller pack

Have a look at max temperatures for the time you are planning to walk and you might find that protection against rain whilst walking is more important than against cold - cold during the night can be reduced by thermal underwear, woollen clothes doing double duty and albergue blankets

keep rain pants for April/May
Rain often is stop and go. Rain pants are hot. Be sure you can get into and out of rain pants (and consider that you may have to sit down after the rain to do that). A poncho like Altus or Packa allows you to slip out on the run, leaving it draped over your pack. If you decide on rain pants, get some experience with them in the rain before you leave home! Gaiters keep your pants legs, socks, and shoes a bit drier in steady rain. You won't feel the need to get into and out of them when the rain comes and goes. I walked in a May with 26 days of rain and never felt the need for rain pants (and wore the gaiters only a few times in heavy rain). :)

One complete set of clothes worn (undies, long sleeve shirt, zip-off trousers, socks and a light fleece. One complete change of clothes in the pack, which includes a mid-weight reversible fleece. Waterproof trousers and a poncho, sleeping bag and towel and extra 'spare' undies and shampoo.
I also carry a lightweight dress that doubles as a nightie, long-johns and long sleeved-T that double as pyjamas (2pairs of each). I feel the cold so need to cover up at night to sleep.
My spare shoes are Crocs and I walk in lightweight boots - no other shoes/flip-flops.
Without the bag and Crocs my pack weighs about 5.6kgs, 6kgs if both fleeces are in, water plus food takes it up to a maximum of 6.5kgs. The sleeping bag weighs 750gms and the Crocs 220gms.
I have had to work to find lightweight gear that does the job and keeps me warm in the cold (after 2011 I swore I would never be cold again!!!) and yet isn't too hot when the weather warms up, but it can be done.
Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Walkergirl, hi. You say your intention is: "Trying to lighten my load for a trip in April/May"

I have had to work to find lightweight gear that does the job and keeps me warm in the cold (after 2011 I swore I would never be cold again!!!) and yet isn't too hot when the weather warms up, but it can be done.

Good advice from Tia Valeria and from many others above.

Many others have said at various times to first go to the heavier items first:
Pack: look at this recent thread for packs that weigh well under 1 kg / 2 lb:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/backpacks.37471/#post-363014
especially posts #56 and #57

Sleeping bag: look online for a model temperature rated at, say 5 C / 40 F (or 0 C / 30 F) that weighs under 500 grams / 1 lb. Many say a silk liner eliminates the effects of bed bugs and weighs around 100 gram

Clothing
: wear one, carry one (or two). Those in the pack give you the extra layers when needed for warmth.

Wet weather
: Poncho that is hunchbacked (my preference) or rain jacket and pack cover, again looking online for those that are lightest in weight. Also consider walking in short only (with zip-on longs if you must). That way you save the weight of the rain trousers. And use a "rain kilt" when needed.

Water system:
consider 1.5 litre fizzy drink bottles. Consider a SmarTube system (low weight/peanuts cost)

Electronics
: having everything connect to the same single light weight charger. This will most probably mean USB connector at the charger end and mini USB at the equipment end. If you are not too challenged by technology a good sized tablet will become you place to store offline maps, Kindle/Kobo (or whatever) versions of guide books and your note book. Mine weighs 400 gram. I just carry as many guide books as I like and the weight doesn't increase.

And to show my action is where my mouth is, the walk out the door weight of my pack with water, breakfast, some snacks and the above is currently 6.3 kg in total.

And, when training, carry your loaded pack to ensure it is practical for you.

I should have said that my pack weighs 1kg 68gms.That was included in the weight I gave in my previous post. It is a 25+5 (ie 30lt pack with an airflow back) Large central pocket, 2 expanding side pockets, lid pocket (poncho lives here) and 2 mesh side pockets (light water bottles live here). My phone is in my trousers pocket and my little camera is hung round my neck/shoulder along with the CSJ guide book in a map case. They were not included in the packing weight so add a max of 400gms including the USB charger lead and Spanish USB plug for the phone, which I should have added to the pack :).
My 'day pack/sightseeing pack' is an Sea to Summit Ultra-sil pack weighing just 68gms - included in the weight above but not listed. (Anything else I forgot?? Edit:- Yes, comb, toothbrush. mini toothpaste and a sliver of soap - but all included in that weight given)
No Kindle/Kobo/Tablet etc so that is weight saved, but not every-ones' choice.

Last edited:
Ok, can I ask a question about pack weight? Do you count the weight of your poles, boots, and everything you're wearing when totaling up your pack's weight and trying to stay around 10% of body weight? Because if so, I don't think it would be possible to ever get down that low. (That would be 13 pounds/6 kg for me)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me the 'pack weight' is what I am carrying on my back in the pack. That is how the camera, phone and guide were left out. The clothes I am wearing and my boots are not included but weigh 'extra'. This is still is within the 15% from the skin out recommendation, including the things in my pockets -eg money, phone; and passport etc in my hidden pouch. I don't have walking poles but a single wooden stick, also a Tilley hat.

ScooterB, ignore the 10% or 15% "rule". It's been clarified soooo many times that this cannot apply to everyone. Just do your very best to take the absolute minimum of everything, but still everything that you need. If this is your first time on a Camino you are almost guaranteed to start too heavy but within a few days will realize this and make appropriate eliminations by donating or throwing away truly unnecessary items. Conversely, if you're missing something, you really can buy anything you need in Spain. The Spanairds do! Its a learning curve for everyone, don't stress too much about it.

Hi Walkergirl, on an unrelated topic, I am also planning on walking the Camino in April/May and would love to walk at least the first few days with someone. When are you going? I am planning on getting to St Jean around 1 April. Would be nice to hear from you. Nadine

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do you count the weight of your poles, boots, and everything you're wearing when totaling up your pack's weight
I don't count the weight put on the ground (boots and poles), and ignore my first layer of clothes since I wear it everyday, all day. Heavier boots create a stress of their own, but they are not really putting their weight on your feet! They do take a toll on your leg muscles. If you take a million steps and each boot is four ounces heavier than it needs to be, you will be lift tons of weight (I leave the exact math to you, but runners can tell you about it). Lighter footwear is better if you still get good support for your feet, ankles, knees, and pack weight.

Sadly, no one here will give you the answers that you're looking for, because everyone here is different. What worked or works for someone may not work for you or anyone else. It's easy for me to say to carry what you feel you need, but then again I've carried heavier weight on my back when I was in the military, for long distances.
Try out the gear you have now, you alone can know what's comfortable. No matter how light your load is, you will experience discomfort on any thru hikes. I will be on my Camino around the same time. I've been hiking for a long time, but this is my first Camino. For me, I'd rather have it and not need it than need and not have it. My pack is 15 lbs.

I think you have at least 8-9 lbs too much, its time to really scrutinize your load.

zzotte

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My 2Cents worth : As per previous posts . . . in regard to your sleeping bag, that's way to heavy, a decent goose down bag is about a pound and a bit . . . bring less clothing and make'm of the easy care/fast dry kind, not a poncho and a rain jacket, either one or the other. Leave the rain pants, faster to keep you warm, you're going to sweat yourself wet anyway. As far as nights are concerned, try going in your (down) sleeping bag with less clothes; your body heat warms you up; if you still need addl. use a albergue blanket on top of the sleeping bag...

Buen Camino

amazon has terramar silk in different fabric weights

€46,-
Whilst I would never offer a woman fashion advice, my suggestion - dump the baseball cap - you need something that will keep the sun/rain off your face and the back of your neck. I did not see where you are starting from but if its St Jean then when you get to Pamplona you can do a pack reanalysis - what you have not worn/needed can be sent on to Leon or SDC or left behind in the albergue. I agree with the comment about weight on your feet to weight on your back ratio - so if you can find a pair of light weight (somewhat waterproof) trail shoes that are under 500 grams (1 lb) each then I would go with them. Cheers. Buen Camino

Wear socks as gloves

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here are my suggestions based on my experience walking this past fall. I will list below those items I suggest omitting and why.
  • water bag (replace with a lightweight collapsible 1 liter/quart plastic water bottle): there are plenty of water fountains along the way. You don't need a hydration system.
  • Omit one of the long-sleeve tops
  • Omit the dress
  • Choose either the Tom's or the flip flops...not both
  • You won't need the laundry line
  • For the towel, get an ultra lightweight type...they are quite light and dry really quickly
  • I do wonder about the weight of the pajamas...I slept in a light pair of shorts and one of the t-shirts I wore during the day. I kept plenty warm in my sleeping bag. You've already got a bottom base layer in your leggings.
  • If the down jacked is really light I would consider bringing it. Mornings can be cold.
  • Omit the gators of you bring rain pants
  • I would bring rain pants if they are light
  • I would go with a rain jacket and omit the poncho. If you don't have a rain cover for your pack I would get one. Also, I would line your pack with a plastic bag. I didn't and wished I had on the really rainy days.
  • I wouldn't cut the sleeping bag. I found mine to be invaluable on my Camino. Everyone I walked with at various times had one. You can't count on good bedding in all alburgues.

Rain jacket, no poncho, pack everything in lightweight drybags (different colors will help). Poli-fil not down or the fleece not both, think layering. With the convertible pants you shouldn't need the extra shorts, consider a "skort" over the leggings instead of the dress. The dress too should be light weight (not cotton) Synthetic camping towel (it can also be hung up to cover albergue lights and add privacy) Minimun of three pair of socks (merino/ smart wool) is best. Consider gifting as you go to lighten your load, I think I dressed a small army behind me in some great gear.......... Ultreya............ Willy/Utah/USA

My favorite quote about packing. "We pack our fears."
My first pack was 20 pounds.... I do not weigh 200 pounds.
I learned that I was capable of walking with that weight. However the toll went to my hips and knees. I gifted those precious items all along the trail as many do. Second Camino, 12 pounds. Wowzer was my body saying thank you every step. I could also take my pack on the airplane and not hope it came out of hold luggage. I think I had to learn that lesson about fear. I also felt that because of the way I packed the first time, I might need some psychological help. (Smiling)...... As to what to leave behind? You will have that conversation with each item and the ones who can perform two or three jobs for you will get to go. I also pack a box of snacks in my bag so that it takes up some space... Otherwise I would fill it. Nobody wants a void. Buen Camino. Elin

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would consider skipping the shorts, the extra shoes (I merely changed out socks during the day), the laundry plug (never used mine once), the down jacket (use only the fleece), and choose between gaiters and rain pants. Additionally, that sleeping bag is way too heavy if you are looking to cut down on weight. I'd be willing to bet it takes up a lot more space in your pack than is neccessary, too. Finally, have you weighed your "toiletries?" You won't be needing much.

Of course, you can always "bless" someone else along the way and donate items!

Buen Camino!
EMN
CF 2014

Hi Walkergirl, on an unrelated topic, I am also planning on walking the Camino in April/May and would love to walk at least the first few days with someone. When are you going? I am planning on getting to St Jean around 1 April. Would be nice to hear from you. Nadine
Hi Nadine, I won't be getting there till April 7th :( so I'll miss you! Buen Camino

No gators, take walking shoes (Salomons are the best) instead of hiking boots. And take some polythene (or similar) poncho with you - in case of heavy rain. As it was in May 2013. I used plastic bags as gloves because my hands on walking sticks were freezing.

No gators, take walking shoes (Salomons are the best) instead of hiking boots. And take some polythene (or similar) poncho with you - in case of heavy rain. As it was in May 2013. I used plastic bags as gloves because my hands on walking sticks were freezing.
@jurissuits , so nice to meet a fellow victim of May 2013 ;). I think I will be old and decrepid and will still be telling that story, over and over again.

If you stay in the private Albergues you will find they are better equipped. Most are warmer than municipal , they usually have blankets. I carried a sleeping bag 2015 from mid april which was a compact,4 season mountaineering sack. No room to move. Took up a quarter of the space in rucksack and never used it once. Buy a beach towel and use that(triple purpose.ie drying, wearing and keeping warm.)Buy some dry bags for keeping your goodies dry and use a lightweight rain jacket. Ponchos have you sweating ,they stick to you and you end up as wet as you would have been without it

I took a Montbell "burrow bag" sleeping bag last May. It weighs 1 lb 6 oz. it's about the size of a very small loaf of bread in its sack. Used it every night (except for those couple of hotel stays). I'm taking it again for an April Camino this year. I like sleeping in/on my own bedding. I know where it's been! ;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Buy a beach towel and use that(triple purpose.ie drying, wearing and keeping warm.)

The concept of taking items that have more than one use is brilliant.

For the towel, get an ultra lightweight type...they are quite light and dry really quickly

And, in my opinion, based on my own experience, @tomnorth has hit on the material the beach towel should be made from. And the best style of ultra-lightweight towel is the flat sheet: they just soak the water off you. You might need to wash before a first use. And they dry really really quickly.

The international brands I have encountered way down here that supply very large sizes are Sea to Summit and Pack Towel. There may be others.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.