A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

HELP... water poisoning... need somewhere to stay near Liege

Camino Badges

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
1-7-2019: Nijmegen-Santiago (Lim/Mon), Campaniensis, Voie Rocamadour, Podiensis, Norte, Primitivo
Fellow pilgrims,

I'm sorry to bring this in all of a sudden.

Yesterday I got water poisoning from drinking contaminated water. I'm an idiot and I figured the water was filtered but it wasn't. Entirely my own stupid mistake.

As a consequence I spent the night (I pitched my tent) in the forest near St Remy, between the areas of Visé and Liege. I spent the whole night throwing up. I guess I will try to find someplace where I can drink safe water and hope to God I can carry my backpack.

Then I want to see if I can take the bus or something to Liege and check in to a hospital.

Trouble is I have nowhere to stay tonight and I'm scared of having a host and then puking all over the place.

Can you please help me out?

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
1-7-2019: Nijmegen-Santiago (Lim/Mon), Campaniensis, Voie Rocamadour, Podiensis, Norte, Primitivo
Ok, freak-out over....

Feeling better. Got a big scare though, I haven't been that sick in a good while and this is my first day in french-speaking Belgium - good start!

I managed to find a refugio.

Cheers, a now calmer pelgrim

MinaKamina

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017
That is scary! Good to hear that you found a place to stay.

I notice that you are thinking like a pilgrim already... The hospital in Maastricht is probably nearer to where you are, and you don't have to speak French there, but you would have to go back and a true pilgrim only knows one direction: onwards!

Whatever you decide and need: good luck and buen Camino!

Gwaihir

Camino(s) past & future
haha, I'll be honest - I did call a hospital in Maastricht but they said to go see a doctor nearby (sound advice)

I took the bus to Liege where I'm now enjoying views of lightning over the bridge. I'm not on the bridge :p

Also @poisoning, here is the lesson, if anything like that happens to anyone, stick your fingers down your throat right away, don't wait for it to mess you up...

I think I got lucky... fingers crossed

Attachments

MinaKamina

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017
So no waffles but the hospital in Esneux today? (Esneux is what the Spanish will come up with when they have to say sneu....)
Keep us posted about how it goes, and let us know if they want to keep you!

You are having a rough start of your lengthy Camino, and it would have been easier for you if the flow of fellow pilgrims could help you over all those deep spots. Go easy on yourself, Rowan, and take good care!

Last edited:

MinaKamina

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017
No hospital. Not even a doctor. He simply walked on.

The blog should be obligatory reading for those of us who consider camping in the wild:

Suddenly, two enormous badgers emerged from the foliage, and ran towards me like crazy

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Darn! Sorry I read this only now! Living 25 minutes drive from Liège/ Luik. Maybe I could have been of some help.

Hope things are better.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.5%