• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

HELP... water poisoning... need somewhere to stay near Liege

Gwaihir

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Nijmegen-Fisterra
2022: Trans-European Trail
Fellow pilgrims,

I'm sorry to bring this in all of a sudden.

Yesterday I got water poisoning from drinking contaminated water. I'm an idiot and I figured the water was filtered but it wasn't. Entirely my own stupid mistake.

As a consequence I spent the night (I pitched my tent) in the forest near St Remy, between the areas of Visé and Liege. I spent the whole night throwing up. I guess I will try to find someplace where I can drink safe water and hope to God I can carry my backpack.

Then I want to see if I can take the bus or something to Liege and check in to a hospital.

Trouble is I have nowhere to stay tonight and I'm scared of having a host and then puking all over the place.

Can you please help me out?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is scary! Good to hear that you found a place to stay.

I notice that you are thinking like a pilgrim already... The hospital in Maastricht is probably nearer to where you are, and you don't have to speak French there, but you would have to go back and a true pilgrim only knows one direction: onwards!

Whatever you decide and need: good luck and buen Camino!

animated-smileys-sick-004.gif

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
haha, I'll be honest - I did call a hospital in Maastricht but they said to go see a doctor nearby (sound advice)

I took the bus to Liege where I'm now enjoying views of lightning over the bridge. I'm not on the bridge :p

Also @poisoning, here is the lesson, if anything like that happens to anyone, stick your fingers down your throat right away, don't wait for it to mess you up...

I think I got lucky... fingers crossed

Attachments

• B6F97A7D-9A5A-4397-AE9E-31C4D6A2D7A9.jpeg
    B6F97A7D-9A5A-4397-AE9E-31C4D6A2D7A9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
So no waffles but the hospital in Esneux today? (Esneux is what the Spanish will come up with when they have to say sneu....)
Keep us posted about how it goes, and let us know if they want to keep you!

You are having a rough start of your lengthy Camino, and it would have been easier for you if the flow of fellow pilgrims could help you over all those deep spots. Go easy on yourself, Rowan, and take good care!

animated-smileys-waving-047.gif

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No hospital. Not even a doctor. He simply walked on.

The blog should be obligatory reading for those of us who consider camping in the wild:

Suddenly, two enormous badgers emerged from the foliage, and ran towards me like crazy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.