• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help...which app is best?

Aloha From Kauai

A Lifetime of Journeys
Time of past OR future Camino
April 3rd - June 3rd, 2022
A quick question, please tell me the best one or two apps for selecting the best route for the day and accommodations, misc? I have several on my phone I've collected but never having been there, plus Covid impacts, I would be shooting blind as to which to follow...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve used Trailsmart on two Frances and one Portuguese (including a reverse Camino route). It’s the best of the bunch in my opinion. Regularly updated by the developer. Reliable info on amenities where you are. And on-the-pin indicator that saved me from countless wrong turns when doing that reverse Camino. I think it’s free to download. Fees are just if you want a more detailed offline map… and even then it’s about the price of a breakfast w/ cafe con leche.

Also, here’s a previous thread you might find helpful: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/best-app-for-iphone.62842/#post-757263

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A quick question, please tell me the best one or two apps for selecting the best route for the day and accommodations, misc? I have several on my phone I've collected but never having been there, plus Covid impacts, I would be shooting blind as to which to follow...
I am on the Frances right now and have mostly been using Camino Ninja which I learned about from a hospitalero. I also check Gronze and Buen Camino for cross referencing but the Ninja has become my go to first app.

I am on the Frances right now and have mostly been using Camino Ninja which I learned about from a hospitalero. I also check Gronze and Buen Camino for cross referencing but the Ninja has become my go to first app.
Awesome, thanks!

I’ve used Trailsmart on two Frances and one Portuguese (including a reverse Camino route). It’s the best of the bunch in my opinion. Regularly updated by the developer. Reliable info on amenities where you are. And on-the-pin indicator that saved me from countless wrong turns when doing that reverse Camino. I think it’s free to download. Fees are just if you want a more detailed offline map… and even then it’s about the price of a breakfast w/ cafe con leche.

Also, here’s a previous thread you might find helpful: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/best-app-for-iphone.62842/#post-757263
Thank you, I don't have that one. I'll look.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The selection of route is not likely to be different on most apps, and each app has its fans. If you have several on your phone, which one seems most intuitive to you?
A question for a question, though a good one. Will look at all of them again.

I have several apps on my phone, but the one that I use the most is Buen Camino. It has the most features, and I especially like the stage planning feature. Plus it will show you at the top of the screen how far you are to the next town in real time. And it's free.

Be sure to watch the video tutorial.

I am using camino Ninja app

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
best route for the day and accommodations, misc?

I have Buen Camino, Wise Pilgrim and Ninja apps on my phone. I also use Gronze.com They are the most up to date when it comes to albergue opening/closing. I have so many because I walk in late fall or winter. No app has all the albergues etc., and no app is 100% accurate when it comes to an albergue being open or closed. I also have started walking caminos with far less infrastructure. Last year I walked the Via De La Plata and late fall this year I may do the Catalan/Ebro/Frances so I need more apps to find more places to stay. But on the Frances that will not be a problem.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would suggest that you download the apps that look useful to you and try them out. I haven't found one perfect app (though as I said, Buen Camino is my favorite). Also different people have different needs, and like to use their apps in different ways, so you really need to see what works best for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
An app can be useful, but it is not needed (at least not on the Francés). There are yellow arrows everywhere, and if you still manage to walk off trail somehow (even though that's quite difficult), a nice local or fellow pilgrim will most likely tell you after a few meters, before you can get lost.

For accommodation, you'll get a list in St Jean in the pilgrim's office. Distances between those accommodations / towns are included and you'll also get a sheet of paper that shows the elevation levels.

If you want to use an app additionally, it doesn't have to be perfect or "the best" ;-) so don't worry too much. It is easy to walk the Camino Francés without any apps.

€46,-
I don't think there is a "best app". They all have their advantages and disadvantages. If you have room on your phone, leave whatever apps you have and reference them as you see fit along the Camino. That said - I used gronze . com more often for finding accommodations because at the time (last summer) it seemed to be the most up to date with what was actually open and accepting walk ins and/or reservations. I think the apps have been updating too - and now that Spain has been "reopened" much longer - I am guessing I would find them very useful this summer.

I walked the Frances app-free without any major accommodation or navigation issues. I recently downloaded Buen Camino to trial it at home but, despite turning off all the notification settings, it still generated notifications in the middle of the night. Its now been deleted...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use the Camino ninja worked great last year when I walked the Camino frances. This April I will use the same app. Buen Camino

I walked the Frances app-free without any major accommodation or navigation issues. I recently downloaded Buen Camino to trial it at home but, despite turning off all the notification settings, it still generated notifications in the middle of the night. Its now been deleted...
I empathize with you on middle of the night interruptions!

For me, carrying a book is just added weight. That's why I prefer the apps and guide books on the Kindle app on my phone.
My first camino I didn't have a phone let alone a smartphone. I had the Brierley guide and a woman who met me for coffee and gave me lots of tips told me to tear out the pages I needed for each day and keep them in my waist belt pocket. It worked well for me and slowly but surely I lost a tinyyyyy bit of weight daily along with the weight around my panceta!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
First time using any app or smartphone and not finding them that necessary. Using camino ninja and finding it easy to use. It's been wrong a number of times as far as what's open.

First time using any app or smartphone and not finding them that necessary. Using camino ninja and finding it easy to use. It's been wrong a number of times as far as what's open.
Thanks to 1000s of responsible pilgrims errors are corrected pretty fast. Also I walk the caminos, write emails and call the accommodations as well. But most importantly, please report in the app if you find wrong information :)

Thanks to 1000s of responsible pilgrims errors are corrected pretty fast. Also I walk the caminos, write emails and call the accommodations as well. But most importantly, please report in the app if you find wrong information :)
I'll take a look and see if I can figure that out. It's not that I'm irresponsible, just not very knowledgeable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll take a look and see if I can figure that out. It's not that I'm irresponsible, just not very knowledgeable.

I think it is just as easy as writing a post in here :) And way more useful for me and the pilgrims coming after you :)

I probably sound old fashion or out of the times. But on 3 caminos I have never used an app. I have a smart phone that stays in airplane mode while traveling. I use it for the camera. I can use WiFi to contact my family. I take a guide book with me for ideas where to stay. I follow the arrows. I am not putting down apps but t I don't want to become dependant on them. I use trail apps and a GPS for hiking mountain trails in USA, but there are no yellow arrows. ( :

A lot depends on the content you want from an app. Some are simple directories of accommodation, some offer offline maps, and some give you practical information about the Camino. At least one does all three 😉

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m on the trail right now and most everyone around me is either using Camino ninja or Buen Camino. I have sometimes found an albergue via one app that isn’t mentioned on another, so I’m glad to have more than one. But when I was in Estella hunting down a bank a few days ago and needed to find my way back to the Camino, it was the ninja app I used first.

But full disclosure. I’ve also used google maps a couple of times.

I’m on the trail right now and most everyone around me is either using Camino ninja or Buen Camino. I have sometimes found an albergue via one app that isn’t mentioned on another, so I’m glad to have more than one. But when I was in Estella hunting down a bank a few days ago and needed to find my way back to the Camino, it was the ninja app I used first.

But full disclosure. I’ve also used google maps a couple of times.

Hi Eve,

I just finished Camino Francés. This year and last year I made a really big effort to find out what albergues was permanently closed and removed them from the app. If there's less albergues in the Camino Ninja App - that's why.

Nothing is never forever though. So if you find albergues not mentioned in the app and open, it's probably because someone bought the albergue and reopened it. It would be extremely helpful if you could give me a hint. Either sending me a message here or emailing me on holla@camino.ninja

Best
Andy

Hi Eve,

I just finished Camino Francés. This year and last year I made a really big effort to find out what albergues was permanently closed and removed them from the app. If there's less albergues in the Camino Ninja App - that's why.

Nothing is never forever though. So if you find albergues not mentioned in the app and open, it's probably because someone bought the albergue and reopened it. It would be extremely helpful if you could give me a hint. Either sending me a message here or emailing me on holla@camino.ninja

Best
Andy
I can’t remember now which day it was. It’s possible I saw it on your app and not booking, too. But I’ll definitely keep my eye out and save your email in case I notice anything for sure.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can’t remember now which day it was. It’s possible I saw it on your app and not booking, too. But I’ll definitely keep my eye out and save your email in case I notice anything for sure.

Thanks Eve :)

For the Norte last month we used a combination of:
We were happy with and thankful for all three. In some cases, trying to find open accommodations was a bit of detective work. I imagine things are rapidly improving in that regard, especially on the Frances.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven’t used an app while walking. Do I need cell service?
My plan was to leave phone in airplane mode. And just use phone for camera and an occasional message to family via WhatsApp.

My plan was to leave phone in airplane mode. And just use phone for camera and an occasional message to family via WhatsApp.
With most of the apps you can download all the content including maps that will work offline, do your plan will work.

May I add the question of a tracking app? In case one of your used one of these things, i would be happy to know which one and if you liked it and if they drew much power. I usually use Strava or Komoot, but there are so many.
I know its not needed ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you @trecile.
And I would also like to know if I’m in airplane mode will my location will be visible? Meaning, am I a little blue dot somewhere on the screen?

Being able to make calls and have data is probably recommended even though it should be possible to do the Camino without.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back