A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Help with $ —>€

Camino(s) past & future
bogg1000
Hello!

I am in Sahagún and so far have had no luck in changing my USD to Euros.

In Logroño, Santander & another 2 banks just shrugged & couldn’t (or wouldn’t) tell me where to go.

I will be in León in 2 days. Can anyone tell me a place, close to the Camino, where I can exchange my USD for Euros?

I can and have, of course, used the ATM’s, but I brought $200 in USD’s and it’s useless to me. Any help appreciated.

Barry

Advertisment

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
I'd also recommend you take your $200 home. The BBVA bank here in Santiago will exchange USD to Euros, but they take a 10 - 30% commission, which is insane. Since you can use your ATM card without problems, there's no reason to give a bank any of your hard-earned money :).

Another option is to find someone who might be traveling to the US soon and do a personal exchange with him/her at a fair exchange rate. For example, you might find an American pilgrim who's stopping in León, has Euros he doesn't have time to use up, and is about to head home.

Take care and Buen Camino!
Faith

davebugg

DustOff: "When I have your wounded."
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Hello!

I am in Sahagún and so far have had no luck in changing my USD to Euros.

In Logroño, Santander & another 2 banks just shrugged & couldn’t (or wouldn’t) tell me where to go.

I will be in León in 2 days. Can anyone tell me a place, close to the Camino, where I can exchange my USD for Euros?

I can and have, of course, used the ATM’s, but I brought $200 in USD’s and it’s useless to me. Any help appreciated.

Barry
That is going to be tough outside of an airport. If your bank has an affiliation with a European bank that has branches in Spain, it is doable... For instance, Bank of America is affiliated with Deutsche Bank, which has branches along the Camino Frances. Otherwise, if you have a debit or credit card, that will be your best bet.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
sept 2016 CF
sept (2017) Lourdes to SJPDP via Piemonte
SJPDP to SDC via CF
I with the people above, hold it to you get back to the USA. If you are desperate, ask at the local tourist office or a hospitalero.

good luck

Mark

Camino(s) past & future
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18
In 2015 my son changed Auds into Euros in a bank in Santiago old town. Not sure of the fee though.

jerbear

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Some of the bar owners like 100 dollar bills. Just saying. Other than that it pretty much useless. Good luck.

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
US Dollars are the counterfeiter's favourite currency (50's and 100's) in may countries

Camino(s) past & future
2035 km of the way to Saint James in Galicia done.
You may already be past it or may have found a major bank in the centre of Leon that is willing to change foreign banknotes into euros but if not: some stores of the El Corte Inglés chain in major cities are apparently exchanging money, and there is one in Leon:

https://www.elcorteingles.es/centroscomerciales/es/eci/servicios/cambio-de-moneda-extranjera

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.6%