• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with an Altus Poncho

Tina M.

Time of past OR future Camino
May 13, 2015
My husband and I are planning our first camino on the CF in September 2015. I've read many things about the Altus poncho and decided this was the poncho for me. I contacted Barrabes because all they had in stock was XS. I'm almost 5"10 and the length is too short. Barrabes said they would not be carrying the original Altus as a new one has been designed, but Barrabes said (in their email to me) that it's not as good nor as waterproof as the original. Does anyone know any other location for purchasing these ponchos? I've googled it but can't seem to find it. Thank you so much.

Buen Camino!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought my Altus poncho at Caminoteca in Pamplona just before I started. Not *completely* waterproof, but did the job well enough except when it poured all day in Galicia a few times. The guy at Caminoteca was terrific too...

My husband and I are planning our first camino on the CF in September 2015. I've read many things about the Altus poncho and decided this was the poncho for me. I contacted Barrabes because all they had in stock was XS. I'm almost 5"10 and the length is too short. Barrabes said they would not be carrying the original Altus as a new one has been designed, but Barrabes said (in their email to me) that it's not as good nor as waterproof as the original. Does anyone know any other location for purchasing these ponchos? I've googled it but can't seem to find it. Thank you so much.

Buen Camino!!!
We purchased ours in SJPDP, one size only, and they were very necessary the first 2 days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought my Altus in SJPdP and had a love/hate relationship with it all the way. It kept me warm and kinda dry in driving rain that hit me in the face. I say kinda dry because there was a lot of condensation. There are no leaks, though. Getting into it wasn't too much of a chore, but, getting it off was not easy. I finally figured out the easiest way was to take my pack off with it. You know that the rain in Spain falls horizontally, don't you :)

I totally agree with you Patty, love/hate relation with ponchos. They will keep you dry from rain if it´s a cold day or you aren´t making a big effort. If it´s a hot day or your walking fast.............. sweat or condensation gets you in the end. Wet one way or another.:D

Buen Camino!

My wife and I have been using the Packa for several years now. I think it is a little shorter than the Altus, but definitely doesn't leak. We also carry rain pants for severe weather. http://thepacka.com/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I hike in shorts year round , rain or shine, snow or no snow. If I wore rain pants when I would take them off it would look like I´d peed myself.:rolleyes:

I carry an umbrella. Works for me.;)

Buen Camino!

For those who want to head out before the sun is up, keep dry when it's raining, and be seen ... here is just the thing! As always, it would be bad luck to open this umbrella indoors ... you could be flogged by sleeping peregrinos! ;-)
1378642_638812099497325_1978252582_n.jpg

[I have no connection with this item, financial, sales, or otherwise ... just stumbled across it]

Ok, I have had the old Altus, pretty good but weighs close to 500 grams, my husband has had the new Altus ( leaks like mad all over and clings, useless,) and last year I bought the lightweight Altus in SJPP and used it in heavy rain, 9 days of it in Switzerland in August and September. My pack stayed dry, I wore a small straw hat with small rim under the hood, great for keeping it out of your face and off your head and I avoided the worst of the condensation by moving my arms in and out of the sleeves, when the rain stopped, I would undo the front and chuck the coat sides over my shoulders, they would dry off then. easy to put the Altus on and take it off if you swing it over the top, I never had to take the pack off to take it off...no rain gear is perfect I found, but at 280 grams this is the best solution in my book, as long as you manage it. If you walk in really cold weather it is not ideal.
Oh and I only ever walk in shorts!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My daughter and I just walked from SJPP in September using our Ferrino Trekker ponchos. After reading much about the new Altus ponchos on the forum, the Trekkers seem to be more like the older Altus. There is condensation inside, but the Trekker did not leak at all which we appreciated. I am 5' 7 " and the S/M is plenty long enough for me. I ordered them online from
Peregrinoteca.com: Tienda de montaña, Camino Santiago
www.peregrinoteca.com

They are currently on sale for 49.90 euros.

I have the Ferrino trekker too, it weighs twice as much as the light Altus and is not significantly better......

Ok, I have had the old Altus, pretty good but weighs close to 500 grams, my husband has had the new Altus ( leaks like mad all over and clings, useless,) and last year I bought the lightweight Altus in SJPP and used it in heavy rain, 9 days of it in Switzerland in August and September. My pack stayed dry, I wore a small straw hat with small rim under the hood, great for keeping it out of your face and off your head and I avoided the worst of the condensation by moving my arms in and out of the sleeves, when the rain stopped, I would undo the front and chuck the coat sides over my shoulders, they would dry off then. easy to put the Altus on and take it off if you swing it over the top, I never had to take the pack off to take it off...no rain gear is perfect I found, but at 280 grams this is the best solution in my book, as long as you manage it. If you walk in really cold weather it is not ideal.
Oh and I only ever walk in shorts!

Those are great ideas. I just unzipped it to help with circulation and that did help. I don' like rain pants and the rain jacket I have creates just as much condensation even with pit zips....so the Altus is going with me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I laughed at umbrellas until I tried one.
Now I won't walk without one.
Not only is it good for rain, but I was probably 15 degrees cooler in the sun than my fellow pilgs.
You can get a nice sturdy umbrella (not a folding one) in Spain for under 10 euros.
I loved mine and was sad when I had to leave it b/c of airplane regs.

I also have two altus ponchos, an old and a newer version.
I like the old one best and agree the new one seems to cause more condensation.
I get around this by leaving it open in the front and using an umbrella if it's really pouring.

I laughed at umbrellas until I tried one.
Now I won't walk without one.
Not only is it good for rain, but I was probably 15 degrees cooler in the sun than my fellow pilgs.
You can get a nice sturdy umbrella (not a folding one) in Spain for under 10 euros.
I loved mine and was sad when I had to leave it b/c of airplane regs.

I also have two altus ponchos, an old and a newer version.
I like the old one best and agree the new one seems to cause more condensation.
I get around this by leaving it open in the front and using an umbrella if it's really pouring.

Annie, the one I bought last year..is that the new one or the old one. Maybe I'll try an umbrella and the poncho.

You bought the new one. Just wait and get a stick umbrella when you get to Spain. They make really nice ones and they're not too expensive. I loved mine!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Consider trying this - only $25, only 8 oz, strong metal-free construction, and UV Reflective Coating (UPF 50+)
http://www.golite.com/Chrome-Dome-Trekking-Umbrella-P928.aspx

I love love love this thing. Great in sun and rain (everything but sideways/deluge rain, for which I also carry a cheap backpackers poncho).

Hate raincoats/pants/packcovers. Too sweaty and inconvenient to put on & off.

I've given my opinion on my trials with different Altus ponchos in other places on the forum so enough said about that. But I also have walked with an umbrella. The first time I used one it was wonderful. I stuck the handle down inside my backpack and it was perfect in rain and sun, although not as good when it was windy. That backpack was destroyed by the airline (at least partially my fault as I didn't pack it well) s0 I tried it again this year with an different backpack-an Osprey- and the umbrella would never sit at a good angle (kept falling down and bonking me) and I had to carry it by hand - not nearly as convenient but just as dry in the rain and cool in the sun. I need a new backpack for my next trip as the Osprey and I never developed a good working relationship and one of the factors that will be taken into consideration is how an umbrella will stand up in it so I don't have to hold it.

The guy in the picture below , an Italian fellow I met on a lunch break, was my original inspiration for the umbrella. I wanted to get one of these (umbrella hats) but my children said they would disown me.

Attachments

• an Italian peregrino.JPG
    an Italian peregrino.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 83
  • umbrella hat.jpg
    umbrella hat.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 72
Thank you very much for this advice.
I've just bought an umbrella hat from ebay. It was cheap.
And 72 cm! :)
Will be fun to try it.

You bought the new one. Just wait and get a stick umbrella when you get to Spain. They make really nice ones and they're not too expensive. I loved mine!

Not sure how an umbrella will work with 2 trekking poles which are an absolute necessity for me. I have plenty of opportunities to practice while walking this winter in Portland.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carry an umbrella. Works for me.;) Buen Camino!
So it does for me. Last May I acquired an Altus poncho, used it one rainy day and decided that it wasn't for me.
Last month I acquired the largest possible umbrella in a ferretería (I forgot the previous one in a church:eek:) and stayed dry, happy and economically better off. Paid 9 Euros for a 50" (127 cm) wide and 41" (104 cm) tall solid umbrella. No fuss to get protected and easy to carry.;)

Buen Camino!!!

I saw the Altus "Poncho impermeable Atmospheric" in the Perigrinoteca shop in Sarria o Oct 1st. They sell on-line.

Wayfarer, you mentioned waterproofing your rain gear. How did you do that? I bought an Altus Rain Series poncho in SJPdP in 2012 and was fairly happy with it. I only encountered one day of pouring rain that spring -- I was soaked through. But so was everyone else so I didn't suspect a problem.

This past fall, it poured for most of the last two weeks along del Norte and that poncho stuck to me like a cold, wet, clammy second skin. I finally started wearing a garbage bag; it kept my body dry though not my arms. Another peregrina had an Altus poncho that she bought a couple of years earlier and she stayed dry. The fabric was definitely heavier than mine.

So is there a spray or something that I can apply to mine that would make it at least water-resistant? Currently, that poncho is good as a windbreaker but not much else.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have just discovered the secret re Altus ponchos and why some are useless and others are good!
There are 3 different types, The Rain Series or Basic Poncho, the Athmospheric Poncho 480 grams and the Athmospheric S3 300 grams.
The rain series/basic model is cheapest at around 22 Euro and is useless. clings, you sweat, get soaked inside, don't bother. The S3 is great, it seems to hang away from the body and not cling, it is waterproof and the lightest available, packs up small and costs around 46 Euros. Some shops do not differentiate between the 3 types, they just call it Altus, some offer the Altus on special, beware, it is likely to be the Basic one, so not on special at all!
I have in past posts given scathing remarks about the Altus as I was under the impression that the Basic Altus was the new model, when in fact it is just an el cheapo option.
I have just ordered my second S3 to have in reserve, when my current one gives up the ghost.

I took an umbrella this May/June. We were lucky - not a lot of rain but on the long hot days the umbrella was wonderful!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you, gittiharre! I think I must have el Basic. Though it certainly was not cheap -- bought it in one of the shops along the main drag in SJPdP for around €40. And I was so pleased with myself for getting the Altus instead of the no-name cheapo poncho...

Where did you order the S3?

Though with all the umbrella aficionados there, I'm thinking about taking one on my next Camino. Where does one get a sturdy light one that can be attached to my Osprey? And would it be carrying too much weight (gasp!) to have both?

Last edited:
I have just discovered the secret re Altus ponchos and why some are useless and others are good!
There are 3 different types, The Rain Series or Basic Poncho, the Athmospheric Poncho 480 grams and the Athmospheric S3 300 grams.
The rain series/basic model is cheapest at around 22 Euro and is useless. clings, you sweat, get soaked inside, don't bother. The S3 is great, it seems to hang away from the body and not cling, it is waterproof and the lightest available, packs up small and costs around 46 Euros. Some shops do not differentiate between the 3 types, they just call it Altus, some offer the Altus on special, beware, it is likely to be the Basic one, so not on special at all!
I have in past posts given scathing remarks about the Altus as I was under the impression that the Basic Altus was the new model, when in fact it is just an el cheapo option.
I have just ordered my second S3 to have in reserve, when my current one gives up the ghost.
I'm confused Gittiharre, I bought the Altus Poncho in SJPdP in the spring of 2012. Mine says Altus Rainseries on the bag, but on the bottom of the bag it says "Atmospheric Light" and I too paid about 40 eur for it. Is this the S3 you are talking about or the one the basic one? I only wore it one day walking up to Orrison so I was very sweaty. I'm not sure if I was wet from sweat or the poncho leaking?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm confused Gittiharre, I bought the Altus Poncho in SJPdP in the spring of 2012. Mine says Altus Rainseries on the bag, but on the bottom of the bag it says "Atmospheric Light" and I too paid about 40 eur for it. Is this the S3 you are talking about or the one the basic one? I only wore it one day walking up to Orrison so I was very sweaty. I'm not sure if I was wet from sweat or the poncho leaking?
Hi happy hiker
I bought same as you in Sjpdp aug2013 cost euro45. Exact description. I just weighed it and very close to 300 grams so I'd say it equates to the S3?

Apart from approx 1 hr out
of Astorga, it was used on the last 1/3rd to Orrison also! And it had the sweat on the inside. I'm pretty certain it wasn't leaking , just felt wet inside. Going up that last bit did generate a bit of body heat though. The straight walking out of Astorga in the rain , no sweat !

Annie

Hi happy hiker
I bought same as you in Sjpdp aug2013 cost euro45. Exact description. I just weighed it and very close to 300 grams so I'd say it equates to the S3?

Apart from approx 1 hr out
of Astorga, it was used on the last 1/3rd to Orrison also! And it had the sweat on the inside. I'm pretty certain it wasn't leaking , just felt wet inside. Going up that last bit did generate a bit of body heat though. The straight walking out of Astorga in the rain , no sweat !

Annie
Hi sounds like happy hiker has the light S3. If you exert yourself in any rain jacket vortex included you sweat. The S3 is better than the basic. It really does not leak and I manage the climate in it by opening up the front and slipping the arms out whenever possible. It works well that way.

I found a company in Zaragoza called Ferrovicmar which stocks the Altus Athmospheric S3 for 31 Euros.It is being sent to New Zealand I do hope it is the real thing! Gitti
Well I certainly am very anxious to hear how your poncho works out as i would like to order one and have it shipped to me as well. Please keep us posted once you have received and tested it out. Thank you for your post.

Ed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi sounds like happy hiker has the light S3. If you exert yourself in any rain jacket vortex included you sweat. The S3 is better than the basic. It really does not leak and I manage the climate in it by opening up the front and slipping the arms out whenever possible. It works well that way.
Thank you Gittiharre and Annie. It's good to know for when I do my next Camino!

Hi all, I have ordered the Altus Atmospheric S3 from a store called Caminoteca in Pamplona, and had it delivered to a friend in Sevilla for my arrival.
The owner Istvan was super friendly and helpful. The only difficulty was the need for a bank transfer in euro…. this note from Istvan -
“basically we don't have a web shop, so i can not charge your credit card, but you should make the bank transfer."
Caminoteca Pamplona S.L.
caminoteca.pamplona@gmail.com www.caminoteca.com

Wayfarer, you mentioned waterproofing your rain gear. How did you do that? I bought an Altus Rain Series poncho in SJPdP in 2012 and was fairly happy with it. I only encountered one day of pouring rain that spring -- I was soaked through. But so was everyone else so I didn't suspect a problem.

This past fall, it poured for most of the last two weeks along del Norte and that poncho stuck to me like a cold, wet, clammy second skin. I finally started wearing a garbage bag; it kept my body dry though not my arms. Another peregrina had an Altus poncho that she bought a couple of years earlier and she stayed dry. The fabric was definitely heavier than mine.

So is there a spray or something that I can apply to mine that would make it at least water-resistant? Currently, that poncho is good as a windbreaker but not much else.

Thanks!
Sorry just saw this post now Camino Yogini, I use a spray called Fabsil which is available in the gear shops here, its waterproofs everything, I am sure if you googled fabric sealant or waterproofer you will find an equivelent where you are.

I found a company in Zaragoza called Ferrovicmar which stocks the Altus Athmospheric S3 for 31 Euros.It is being sent to New Zealand I do hope it is the real thing! Gitti
Anxious to hear how your Altus worked out delivered to you at home from Spain. I may do the same thing if it worked out well for you. Thank you! Ed

Thank you, wayfarer. Though now that gittiharre has explained the complicated world of Altus ponchos, I will try to to get the S3 first. Failing that, I will look for a fabric sealant. Did it add much to the weight?

Anxious to hear how your Altus worked out delivered to you at home from Spain. I may do the same thing if it worked out well for you. Thank you! Ed
I followed gittihare's suggestion and ordered two ponchos from Ferrovicmar. Ordering online was simple, although I had to use their "search" feature to find theAltus S3. They accept Paypal so no problems there either. Finally the shipment arrived in less than a week and I am in California. I think the medium-large size is good for anyone over 5'3". Thanks very much gittihare!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ditto! I also followed gittihare's suggestion and ordered a poncho from Ferrovicmar. I was bounced out of the PayPal order though so tried it again using my VISA. This better be the right poncho! Between the exchange rate and shipping charge to Canada, this thing cost over $70!

Or at least I hope it's only $70 -- I see now in my email that there are two confirmations from ferrovicmar. Maybe the PayPal order did go through as well...

Maybe there's some other short person in Calgary who might want a good Altus poncho. I'm 5'3" so bought the S.

happyhiker, maybe I could interest you in an Altus poncho, hhmm? ;) I know you're in Toronto and we both know what a pain it is to ship something across the country. But we probably bought the same poncho from the same shop in SJPdP. I know we were caught in the same pi**ing rain -- you from SJ to Orrison, me from Roncesvalles to Zubiri.

Actually, I'm just going to reply to Ferrovicmar to just send one. :)

Hi my poncho from ferrovicmar arrived within 5 days. It has the same labels as the Altus Light in SJPDP, but the material is different and it is a darker blue. It seems more dense and the inside more plastic. I hope it is as good as my older one. Will let you know when I get back from the Via Regia in Sept.

We ordered 2 Altus Atmospheric from Peregrinoteca because we couldn't get anything suitable here. Landed here it cost E79 for the 2 and only took 10 days. We have walked in them once in rain as a practise and they were good. Even though it is winter for us we have had no rain so it looks like we will only have the one try out. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We ordered 2 Altus Atmospheric from Peregrinoteca because we couldn't get anything suitable here. Landed here it cost E79 for the 2 and only took 10 days. We have walked in them once in rain as a practise and they were good. Even though it is winter for us we have had no rain so it looks like we will only have the one try out. Buen Camino
So they didn't charge any postage?

I followed gittihare's suggestion and ordered two ponchos from Ferrovicmar. Ordering online was simple, although I had to use their "search" feature to find theAltus S3. They accept Paypal so no problems there either. Finally the shipment arrived in less than a week and I am in California. I think the medium-large size is good for anyone over 5'3". Thanks very much gittihare!

Could you please share the website link? When I search for Ferrovicmar I get a site that sells power tools :(

That power tools site is correct. You need to enter "altus atmospheric" in the search box at the top.

Very interesting discussion! I got an Altus in Najera last fall for € 40, and it seemed to do fine in drizzle. But when I walked thru pouring rain in Galicia, I got soaked and assumed it was a faulty poncho. But I just checked it, and it says in two places Atmospheric, and it weighs 300 gm - must be the S3. So maybe it's just sweaty me, and the poncho really IS waterproof?? ~ ~from the outside. I love the design of it, so will just treat it with NikWax and we'll see what happens this fall.
Buen Camino all!
Terry

One week later and my shipment from Ferrovicmar has arrived in Canada. Unfortunately, this Altus poncho is identical to the one I already have, except that the Altus logo is bigger. And it's a S while my older one is XS, which was big enough. $70+ bucks wasted.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One week later and my shipment from Ferrovicmar has arrived in Canada. Unfortunately, this Altus poncho is identical to the one I already have, except that the Altus logo is bigger. And it's a S while my older one is XS, which was big enough. $70+ bucks wasted.

Sorry to hear that. I was just about to buy from the same place.
So has anyone found a website that sells the Altus Atmospheric S3? And you received it.....and it was?

Sorry to hear that. I was just about to buy from the same place.
So has anyone found a website that sells the Altus Atmospheric S3? And you received it.....and it was?

Robo, they are for sale in SJPDP - save the postage. If you want to try one I have a couple.

Thanks Kanga. That sounds like a plan. I was merely concerned that the better 'model' seems to be hard to identify and not always available

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have searched all over this forum for where to buy an Altus S3. Fortunately we already crosse the Pyrenees last September and do not plan on crossing it again even if the Altus is only available in StJPP. Does anyone have any ideas. Someone said earlier they bought one in Najera - we will be there on day 2 of our trek. We are starting in Logrono where we left off last September. We got lucky and didn't have any rain last time but feel we may have pressed our luck and really need to have our rain gear before we start walking. Will look at the Ferrino Trekker but the Packa is out of my league.

Just as a fun alternative for people going... Oh no! I didn't get a poncho!

I didn't have a bag cover, and just brought a cheap light water proof jacket, but every time I wore it I got super sweaty! Yuck! However, on the few days it rained in Galicia, I put the hood on my head, and lobbed the rest over my pack... instantly cool and moderately dry. My clothes were all light techincal so they dried rather quickly after the downpour... Even my shoes!

So, if you happen to be walking in the Summer and forget your poncho somewhere, or lose you pack cover, don't worry! I saw quite a few garbage bag pilgrims and we all survived to Santiago!

That said... I will be bringing some kind of rain cover THIS time around... ;)

So far, I have found the ALTUS in FOUR places along the Camino:

SJPP at the little shop across from the Pilgrim Office, Le Boutique du Pelerin: http://www.directioncompostelle.com/
Zubiri, at the little sporting goods shop toward the end of the main street into town, on the left.
Pamplona at the pilgrim shop, Caminoteca: http://www.caminoteca.com/
Sarria, at the little sporting goods shop at the bottom of the steep stairs going up into town.

I know for a fact you can email and order them ahead at SJPP and at Pamplona.
Both places will hold them for pickup, and you can also exchange for different sizes if they don't fit.
Just email and ask.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
product_thumb.php

My husband and I each bought one of these along the Way as my Altus leaked. They worked fantastically and fitted over our packs. A big plus is that the zip works from top to bottom and from bottom to top. I was able to leave a small portion of the zip closed around my middle, took my arms out of the sleeves and therefore effectively I was wearing a "cape" which was so much cooler.
This is made by Joluvi http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/poncho-joluvi-nylon-con-mangas-p-4805.html
It cost about 25 euros.

Thanks Anniesantiago.... we are picking up in Logrono where we left off so StJPP, Zubiri and Pamplona are not on our plan. Sarria is too far. I'll be looking at the Planeta-auga.com website to see if by chance we can order and have shipped to our starting point or just take the plunge and ship to US. I'll also look at the Joluvi too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The secret to staying dry in the ALTUS (again) is to keep it open in the front. Otherwise you will sweat and get a lot of condensation inside, and you will THINK the poncho is leaking.

Also, I agree with Fraluchi:

Last month I acquired the largest possible umbrella in a ferretería (I forgot the previous one in a church:eek:) and stayed dry, happy and economically better off. Paid 9 Euros for a 50" (127 cm) wide and 41" (104 cm) tall solid umbrella. No fuss to get protected and easy to carry.;)

Every year as soon as I get to Spain, I go in search of an umbrella. For €8-€9 I always fine a good stick umbrella which is MUCH sturdier than anything I've found here at home. At the end of the Camino, I usually give it away or leave it rather than mess with trying to check it. But I may bring it home this year if I can find a mailing tube in Santiago.

Walking with the umbrella not only keeps me dry, it keeps me MUCH cooler when walking on the hot days.
Walking in the shade of the umbrella is like sitting under a big tree - cool and breezy - I'm hooked on umbrellas.
And to think I laughed the first time I saw someone using one... only goes to show you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

The secret to staying dry in the ALTUS (again) is to keep it open in the front. Otherwise you will sweat and get a lot of condensation inside, and you will THINK the poncho is leaking.

Also, I agree with Fraluchi:

Every year as soon as I get to Spain, I go in search of an umbrella. For €8-€9 I always fine a good stick umbrella which is MUCH sturdier than anything I've found here at home. At the end of the Camino, I usually give it away or leave it rather than mess with trying to check it. But I may bring it home this year if I can find a mailing tube in Santiago.

Walking with the umbrella not only keeps me dry, it keeps me MUCH cooler when walking on the hot days.
Walking in the shade of the umbrella is like sitting under a big tree - cool and breezy - I'm hooked on umbrellas.
And to think I laughed the first time I saw someone using one... only goes to show you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!
I as well use a trek umbrella and not sure that I would ever use a poncho again.

I bought my Altus in SJPdP and had a love/hate relationship with it all the way. It kept me warm and kinda dry in driving rain that hit me in the face. I say kinda dry because there was a lot of condensation. There are no leaks, though. Getting into it wasn't too much of a chore, but, getting it off was not easy. I finally figured out the easiest way was to take my pack off with it. You know that the rain in Spain falls horizontally, don't you :)
Oh. I thought "The rain is Spain falls mainly on the plain." Hahaha. Quote from My Fair Lady.

Anyone know of somewhere in Madrid that we can buy either a couple of Altus ponchos or the Joluvi would also do? We're walking the Via de la Plata, starting probably in Salamanca.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.