• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with beautiful spots for making a proposal (of marriage!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How wonderful Robert! This will be a very, very special Camino for you both!

I will give you several suggestions to look at. The Mirador de Tio Rincho on the way to Viladesuso, is a wonderful look-out over the sea. My entire day nineteen on my CP, is full of look-outs over the sea. If you click on the link you will see the photo of this overlook and perhaps some other sea views, after just leaving La Guarda might also be nice. If you like old monasteries by the sea, scroll down the page - there is is the monastery in Oia, by the sea that is a lovely place as well.

I loved the view over the point at Cape Silleiro on our day twenty, another possibility. That day, in Baiona also has lovely long beaches, and a castle. The link will take you to photos.

While I did not go there, as the sanctuary was under construction scaffolding, many pilgrims rave about the views at the Santuário de Santa Luzia, at the top of the hill above Viana do Castelo. There is a brand-new albergue there now, and you could stay there, maybe and propose at sunset??

Good luck and Buen Camino!!

Hello good people. I plan to go Camino Portugues - Coastal Way in May 2020 with my girlfriend. I plan to propose her during the way or maybe at the end. Could you please share some beautiful romantic spots for this occasion? :)

-Top of Monte Santa Tecla (A Guarda),
spectacular views.
- Parador (castle) of Baiona.
-Islas Cíes (boat from Vigo).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Go on, give yourself a treat in the Parador hotel in Baiona, a stunning castle by the sea and a great location for love too! Stunning sunsets.

Mosterio de Oia at sunset would be somewhere too.

I'm with @SYates in thinking to do it at the end.
But proposing in front of the Cathedral right when you first arrive might not be the best time. It takes away from what is already an emotionally loaded moment, and something that deserves to be savored on it's own. But why not afterwards, once you're basking in the glow of having finished the camino journey - and looking ahead at the journey of life.
You could go back to to the Plaza do Obradoiro and pop the question there some time later.

And...not to over-think it. A proposal is a very private moment and not theatre. So why not play it by ear? There may be a natural moment that arises which would be far more perfect than something planned ahead.
A beautiful sunset, or even the opposite end of the spectrum - like when things are so awful that it's funny and you loose it in giggles about being wet and muddy and plugging up some horrible hill. In spite of the physical misery, these can actually be very happy times and times when heart bonds are fired in the kiln of struggle together.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
These all sound like great places, and I especially liked @VNwalking's suggestion of letting the moment present itself. Just one caution: Don't be carrying a diamond ring on the Camino, unless you can afford to lose it! Take a fake one, or a photo of it sitting safely at home, or something else to show you have planned the proposal. I'm sorry to rain on the romance! 🤪 ☹ (Feel free to ignore my advice, but you have been warned.)

I was also thinking that Santiago might be a good place to propose, after you have completed the Camino (or, if you are going on to Finisterre, there at sunset by the lighthouse overlooking the Atlantic).

I can certainly see C clearly's point. If you are going to propose in Santiago, one possibility to avoid carrying the ring with you on the Camino (and potentially losing it) might be to have it waiting for you in Santiago, perhaps with some nice fresh non-Camino clothes for the two of you that you can change into when the walking is done. I've heard that there are places in Santiago that you can ship things and have them waiting for you. Ivar may know more about that, though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just one caution: Don't be carrying a diamond ring on the Camino, unless you can afford to lose it!
Excellent advice. You wouldn't be wearing the ring making it very likely it would get lost (as my brother's best man I had the wedding ring jump out of my pocket twice on his wedding day and, when he proposed, the engagement ring got lost in a box of chocolates before his betrothed even got to see it).

However, I remember seeing some movie where the engagement took place with a band-aid wrapped around the lady's finger instead of a ring. How's that for romance?

I can think of dozens of places on the Camino where I just found the location stunning and beautiful. I will also say that, at the time, I was probably pretty dirty and did not smell too great, so I am not sure that my own appearance would have contributed positively to the overall experience.

Here is what I would tell you. The Camino is an amazing thing to experience with your partner. We are married 39 years, and the Camino is one of the best things we ever did together. We talk about it all the time. It is a cherished memory.

What I would do is wait for that moment when everything is just perfect - you will know the moment when you are in it. The Camino provides. In that moment, ask her "Could it ever be better than this?". If she says "No", THAT is your moment.

Have an absolutely outstanding Camino together.

Hi, @robertgreen,
I hope you don’t mind that I used my moderator powers to edit the title of your thread. I had ignored it for a few days because I was thinking it was perhaps about a business proposal, a proposal for an albergue, etc etc. THIS is much more interesting!

Congrats, and I think all of these ideas are great. I especially like @Tim Floyd’s idea. But I also think your selection depends on whether you want it to be more public or more private. I think the Plaza do Obradoiro, as SY suggests, is a fabulous place. But it is very public, and emotions will already be running high, so it just depends on how much emotional craziness you want to create. If you want private, some of the other locations are more in keeping with that idea.

But one potential downside — my son proposed to his wife in his favorite spot in Madrid (it was her first visit), and now they are always saving up their hard earned cash to take a return visit. Proposing closer to home would have been much cheaper for them.

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too think that you will know the right place when you get there.

I think it would be awesome if you propose somewhere near the beginning of your Camino - that way your Camino will be filled with so much joy and happiness and be one of celebration and thanksgiving. Your arrival at Santiago de Compostela will be the perfect ending to your celebrations.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello good people. I plan to go Camino Portugues - Coastal Way in May 2020 with my girlfriend. I plan to propose her during the way or maybe at the end. Could you please share some beautiful romantic spots for this occasion? :)
If you are doing the Coastal route then may be on the ferry across to A Guarda in Galicia?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
-Islas Cíes (boat from Vigo).

Hi @robertgreen, what a lovely thread you've created here!

I imagine that you'll know when it's the right place and moment, but I LOVE @Pelegrin 's suggestion of the Islas Cíes. A sunset proposal there would be incredibly romantic, uncrowded and memorable. It would take a little bit of organisation, but it's definitely worth considering.

You can do it as a day trip, but an overnight stay would be really special (the campsite has pre-erected tents).

This website might be helpful. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm with @SYates in thinking to do it at the end.
But proposing in front of the Cathedral right when you first arrive might not be the best time. It takes away from what is already an emotionally loaded moment, and something that deserves to be savored on it's own. But why not afterwards, once you're basking in the glow of having finished the camino journey - and looking ahead at the journey of life.
You could go back to to the Plaza do Obradoiro and pop the question there some time later.

And...not to over-think it. A proposal is a very private moment and not theatre. So why not play it by ear? There may be a natural moment that arises which would be far more perfect than something planned ahead.
A beautiful sunset, or even the opposite end of the spectrum - like when things are so awful that it's funny and you loose it in giggles about being wet and muddy and plugging up some horrible hill. In spite of the physical misery, these can actually be very happy times and times when heart bonds are fired in the kiln of struggle together.
Amen to this! The moment is way more important than the location. A seemingly prosaic setting might present that absolute perfect moment.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lots of great suggestions so I'll add another to the mix;
On the historic bridge at Ponte de Lima.
There's a Caminho sculpture/carving & piped classical music to accompany you. If you time it at sunset or early morning in the mist...well, what girl could resist?! 🤗 💍
Best wishes.
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Hi @robertgreen, what a lovely thread you've created here!

I imagine that you'll know when it's the right place and moment, but I LOVE @Pelegrin 's suggestion of the Islas Cíes. A sunset proposal there would be incredibly romantic, uncrowded and memorable. It would take a little bit of organisation, but it's definitely worth considering.

You can do it as a day trip, but an overnight stay would be really special (the campsite has pre-erected tents).

This website might be helpful. Good luck with whatever you decide.
There is a limit for number of visitors in a day and an authorization is required especially in summer months.
I think that in May there won't be problem on labour days, but just in case you can get the permission on internet searching with "permiso Islas Cies".

Good for you a wonderful idea you have all my support and wish you well. You can hear a but coming can't you.
I have walked the camino three times now and I have talked to people halfway through the walk, and asked, "where's Sue or where'sEmma?" Only to get the reply "I don't blo,,,,,,, know, and I don't care. So my advice is if you want this girl then propose at the start if you want to make sure propose at the end. 😍😍😍.
I am sure you will be OK I met two people that were walking the camino for their honeymoon don't quite know how that works. Another option 😂.
I have said in the past to walk the camino all you deed is commitment maybe marriage and the camino have something in common.
Good luck and God bless.

Sounds lovely - hope she does not read this forum!!!

You're assuming you'll still be talking to each other by the time you reach Santiago! If you are, she's definitely the one for you. Good luck.

Robert, I agree with the Kiwi Couple - Do it at the beginning. In fact, do it at the first "camino" sign post / arrow, on bended knee. Now you will both have unexplained smiles on your faces for the whole camino, come rain, mud, too hot, too cold, albergue complete, etc. For you two, it will truly be a "BUEN CAMINO"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And if the Plaza de Obradeiro is too busy, what about Santa Susana Church up in Alameda? I do have the keys ;-)
BC SY

Any where in Galicia the red wine is 45% she will say yes but might not remember it it in the morning

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino de agua y piedras, along the variante espiritual!
El Camino de agua y piedras, along the variante espiritual!

Attachments

• 20160922_115536.jpg
    20160922_115536.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
The most beautiful spot is in your heart, when it tells you 'this is the place'.
Go with the Camino, it will let you know the right place and time.
Good luck. Be patient. Trust your instinct.
LLN Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
In Caldas de Reis you will encounter the lovely O Muiño restaurant. The food will make a pleasant scene-setter then go out onto the river walkway where the question can be popped in an unforgettable place. Good luck.

If bas been mentioned you want a place that you will want to return to I would suggest one of the restaurants along the Douro River in Porto. Lots of hotels, pensions and albergue type places to stay and of course Port wine and chocolate might seal the deal!
Best of luck and bom caminho.
Jim

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Robert: Santiago De Compostela in front of the Cathedral (Plaza do Obradoiro) after you arrive and have taken a few minutes to celebrate your arrival and take in the accomplishment of the moment together. If I was as creative as you and could turn the clock back 26 years, that's what I might do.

Hiking this path together, helping each other along the way, putting up with each other along the way, sharing in each others challenges, pains and celebrating your victories together - sounds like a good metaphor for the journey of marriage.

Whatever you do, please report back to "the group" with a photo. Best wishes!

Last edited:
I know this was posted as a lighthearted jest.

Unfortunately, the level of violence against women in my society, especially violence by men as a response to rejection, prevents me from receiving it in the lighthearted manner it was intended. I worry that humour like this, although it may very well be harmless among people like us, when seen (or heard) by the types of people that commit these crimes sends the wrong message: that these crimes is understood, or not serious, or heaven forfend, okay. The worry may be needless, but I worry nevertheless.

I apologize because I know this kind of response is uncomfortable and awkward for everyone. But my conscience made me do it
It was meant in jest. My apologies if I offended. I have deleted it.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back