• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with blistered feet!

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking since 2008, various stages of French,Norte and Via del Plata- addicted to the Way
I am suffering with bad blisters on both feet.
Can anyone tell me where I can get them seen to in Pontevedra.
All help appreciated.
NollaigC

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to read of your difficulties. Wherever you are stopping in Pontevedra ask your host/concierge/hospitalero for assistance. Or go to the nearest pharmacy and ask. Pontevedra has a major university and many good hospitals.

Good luck!

Thanks, mspath.
Tried that in the first pharmacy and she took me straight to the 'compeeds'
I'll keep trying

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I had bad blisters, I would go to the hospital or see a doctor in a medical centre. Bad blisters can have dire consequences - blood poisoning is a possibility.

If I had bad blisters, I would go to the hospital or see a doctor in a medical centre. Bad blisters can have dire consequences - blood poisoning is a possibility.

Thanks Kanga,
I appreciate the advice.
Nollaigc

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Soak your feet in salt water and vinigar and and give yourself a couple days off. Sorry to hear this.

Thanks Scott,
Days off are not really an option but I'll take it easy.
I'm just uncomfortable but blessed to be on Camino
Nollaigc

On each occasion I have been to a hospital for blister treatment, they have been VERY helpful, but will probably tell you "no walking for four days!" Of course whether or not you take this advice is up to you.
However, if you want those feet to improve, take it VERY easy. Don't hesitate to take a bus or train to get ahead if you have a schedule to keep. The important thing is for you to enjoy your camino. Keep using the compeed, get them bandaged, wear panty liners on your feet to protect them, and keep your walking to a minimum for a few days.
Blessings from one who has had to give up one camino due to blisters, and knows exactly how you feel. :rolleyes:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with Scott and Stephen--if you need to be "ahead" and have terrible blisters, bus it. I know....we all want to "walk the whole way," but at what cost?

Those feet need to air out and rest a bit. In any case, try to build up the area around the blister(s) with some thick padding, so as to completely cushion the blistered area--I'm guessing heels and toes? keep changing socks twice a day, and taking plenty of rest stops to elevate your feet.

Buen Camino.

I am suffering with bad blisters on both feet.
Can anyone tell me where I can get them seen to in Pontevedra.
All help appreciated.
NollaigC

Hello there. I had a similar problem with my right foot when I did the Camino Portuguese during the last week of March 2016.
I went to a local pharmacy in Pontevedra where they recommended Compeed Blister Cushions. Believe me,
it was like a magic cure for my blisters on my right foot. I got it for about 5 € plus ( has 5 plasters inside).
Buen Camino!

I agree with Scott and Stephen--if you need to be "ahead" and have terrible blisters, bus it. I know....we all want to "walk the whole way," but at what cost?

Those feet need to air out and rest a bit. In any case, try to build up the area around the blister(s) with some thick padding, so as to completely cushion the blistered area--I'm guessing heels and toes? keep changing socks twice a day, and taking plenty of rest stops to elevate your feet.

Buen Camino.

Yep CaminoDebrita,
Heel toes and balls of both feet.
Many thanks for the advice.
NollaigC

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello there. I had a similar problem with my right foot when I did the Camino Portuguese during the last week of March 2016.
I went to a local pharmacy in Pontevedra where they recommended Compeed Blister Cushions. Believe me,
it was like a magic cure for my blisters on my right foot. I got it for about 5 € plus ( has 5 plasters inside).
Buen Camino!

eapuris, have got myself something similar.Hope it will work
NollaigC

On each occasion I have been to a hospital for blister treatment, they have been VERY helpful, but will probably tell you "no walking for four days!" Of course whether or not you take this advice is up to you.
However, if you want those feet to improve, take it VERY easy. Don't hesitate to take a bus or train to get ahead if you have a schedule to keep. The important thing is for you to enjoy your camino. Keep using the compeed, get them bandaged, wear panty liners on your feet to protect them, and keep your walking to a minimum for a few days.
Blessings from one who has had to give up one camino due to blisters, and knows exactly how you feel. :rolleyes:

Stephen,
Thanks for the advice. I saw Albertino mention the liner but I didn't try it.
Going to have the pack carried by Tuitrans for the first time since I started doing the Camino. It should help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That may indeed help some but the blister's didn't come from your pack they came from your feet being inside of shoes. And depending on what caused the blisters to begin with will still be there. When you have an issue like this you tend to favor the sore foot which is different than how you ordinary walk, you make create a strain on the knee or even cause your balance to be off. I agree with the poster who stated if you are on a schedule bus ahead 30 kilometers, sit and enjoy the wine and the sun and listen to your body. I saw a young man (maybe mid 30's) a couple years ago in Santo Domingo this young man sat on the edge of the bed and was in tears, crying. I looked at his feet and could not believe the condition they were in. He said he thought he could continue. His camino was over that next day.

I'd save my feet. but it sounds like you are determined, buen camino. :)

Sorry to hear you have such bad blisters - it can happen to anyone. I only have a week until my Camino Portuguese. I've been breaking in my walking shoes since January and now discover with warmer weather that they are not breathable enough (heat rash on last 2 training walks). Suddenly I'm re-waterproofing my old shoes and hope that works! Good luck with those blisters.

I can only wish you the best from across the Ocean & North America. But I would suggest finding a pair of running shoes once they are healed. & take it easy. Your shoe is simply not working. No gortex or waterproof boots, change to dry socks every 2 hours dry the ones you were wearing on your pack. If you can find some smart wool socks or good soft merino wool socks.
Dealing with blisters for yourself takes some experience, understanding how to clean them properly & dress them to heal requires a bit of training. When you seek medical aid discuss it with the person helping you.
Take care
Keith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stephen,
Thanks for the advice. I saw Albertino mention the liner but I didn't try it.
Going to have the pack carried by Tuitrans for the first time since I started doing the Camino. It should help.
Ha ha but did you read following posts about my good friend Stephan's pantyliners :)?
The misunderstanding was the translation from my dutch language into english.
It should not be pantyliners but pantysocks. Small panty-nylonmaterial-socks.every supermarket supplies them .
eventually put some greasy creme on the skin of your feet first and Than the pantysocks as a first layer , than the walkingsocks. The wrubbing will be between the two layers of pantysocks and walkingsocks. We walked 2 caminos -one on the Portugues with lots of roadwalking and cobblestones without blisters.

Ha ha but did you read following posts about my good friend Stephan's pantyliners :)?
The misunderstanding was the translation from my dutch language into english.It should not be pantyliners but pantysocks. Small panty-nylonmaterial-socks.every supermarket supplies them .
Hello my friend Albertinho!
It's all double-Dutch to me ;). Not sure about the panty-socks, but I have also used conventionL PANTY-LINERS. Put liner on floor, sticky side up. Position foot over liner so they cover usual blister location, then lower foot onto liner. Wide ones are no problem - fold end up, over side of feet. Then put on proper walking socks. There's so much information on another Forum topic on blisters.
That's what I'll be doing in six weeks time when I walk to Finisterre.
Best wishes to you and Nel...

Hello my friend Albertinho!
It's all double-Dutch to me ;). Not sure about the panty-socks, but I have also used conventionL PANTY-LINERS. Put liner on floor, sticky side up. Position foot over liner so they cover usual blister location, then lower foot onto liner. Wide ones are no problem - fold end up, over side of feet. Then put on proper walking socks. There's so much information on another Forum topic on blisters.
That's what I'll be doing in six weeks time when I walk to Finisterre.
Best wishes to you and Nel...
Hi Stephen.. Double dutch. That is the word..:p:p
Wish you a buen caminho.
Unfortunately we do not meet this time, anyway not in Santiago..we have plans to visit the family in Laughton Essex so maybe a coffee when we desembark from the ferry to Harwich ?
Nel had some health issues ,after all not very severe but we did no training for the caminho de Fátima from Lisbon/Estoríl . She was advised not to carry a backpack .

So coming saturday we head for Lisbon by car and caravan and meet some caminho friends there and slowly we head north to casa da Fernanda to give a hand as hospitaleiros. But most of all we will be tourists this time.

Best regards also to your wife and keep the sticky side of the liners at the right side my friend :):)

Albertinho and Nel

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Folks,
I'm just now reading all your replies and it is empowering.
So when all was said and done, I bit the bullet and accepted reality.
Changed flights home and will bus the last couple of days.
Today took the bus from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis.
Had a reservation at Hotel O'Cruceira- great people,really user friendly, very happy here.
My feet are thanking me for this consideration and I admit I'm in total agreement.
My companions are 'reluctantly accepting this situation '- God Bless Them
Thanks again folks,
NollaigC

Folks,I'm just now reading all your replies and it is empowering.So when all was said and done, I bit the bullet and accepted reality.Changed flights home and will bus the last couple of days. NollaigC
N
Nollaig, do not be too disheartened about having to do this. You seem to have done absolutely the right thing. But I have a feeling you will be back on the camino before too long.
I, too, have "princess" feet and also suffer from severe blistering - even my trip in February was abandonned after just two days. TWO DAYS for heaven's sake. I should have prepared better. Mind you, after having to visit hospital for bandaging, I heard the weather forecast for the hills I was intending to walk - it was for 30 cms of snow. That was the point when I hired a car, drove to where I used to live, and had two excellent weeks with old friends - two weeks which included gentle walking in local hills, but not more than ten kms a day.
I am currently washing the soles of my feet each night with surgical spirit, to harden them: then at the end of May I plan to walk to Finisterre.
So please come back to the camino later: prepare your feet before you come: keep distances moderate: and don't worry if you have to make the distances shorter, or take the occasional bus.
Blessings from England, where spring is coming and it's just 9 degs C as I type......

N
Nollaig, do not be too disheartened about having to do this. You seem to have done absolutely the right thing. But I have a feeling you will be back on the camino before too long.
I, too, have "princess" feet and also suffer from severe blistering - even my trip in February was abandonned after just two days. TWO DAYS for heaven's sake. I should have prepared better. Mind you, after having to visit hospital for bandaging, I heard the weather forecast for the hills I was intending to walk - it was for 30 cms of snow. That was the point when I hired a car, drove to where I used to live, and had two excellent weeks with old friends - two weeks which included gentle walking in local hills, but not more than ten kms a day.
I am currently washing the soles of my feet each night with surgical spirit, to harden them: then at the end of May I plan to walk to Finisterre.
So please come back to the camino later: prepare your feet before you come: keep distances moderate: and don't worry if you have to make the distances shorter, or take the occasional bus.
Blessings from England, where spring is coming and it's just 9 degs C as I type......

Cheers for that Stephen,
Indeed I will be back. I fell in love with walking the Camino back in 2008.
This was to be my longest since I began.
My wife had facilitated this greatly but with the knowledge that it would not be possible next year due to changing work circumstances.
Five of us had planned it, myself and the two original walkers being joined by my next door neighbour and his brother-in-law.
The senior man had to pull the plug due to injury on the night before departure. Even getting my neighbour to call around to the house and attempting to do every sort of workaround to get him to change his mind.
Thankfully he didn't due to some of the situations we found ourselves in.
So even though I'm sad at these things, I fall freely into the 'absence makes the heart fonder' set and was happy to change my flights.
For me in the end I realised I was away to long and missed my wife and daughter too much.
So thanks again Stephen

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.