• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with blisters!

DuaneS

Time of past OR future Camino
April 4th from SJPDP - May 5, 2017 - Complete!
This isn't a camino specific post, but I just wanted to solicit advice. I completed the Camino Frances in 2017 from SJPDP and have done several other long distance hikes. No matter what shoes I seem to get, or what insoles, I almost always get bad blisters after day 2 or 3. I don't particularly mind when I get a small one on the toe, but I often get one that starts between my big toe and the next toe, and slowly spreads to the bottom of my foot, which is very painful with each step. I have yet to have a camino where I enjoyed more than a day or two without foot pain, and I'd really like to solve it.

I've attached a photo of a recent blister (after I de-roofed it when I stopped). I've tried some suggestions like pre-taping that area and what-not, but that just seems to encourage blisters to form at the edges of the taped area for some reason.

I'm open to any suggestions - thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5782 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_5782 Medium.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 36
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do NOT 'de-roof' it, that just encourages infections! Cut a very small hole into blister, drain it and fill it with iodine cream or liquid, then tape down over night and paper tape for the next day.
BC SY
I was already done the hike at this stage. I'm mostly looking for preventative suggestions, not so much treatment, but cheers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are lots of different opinions on preventing blisters. For me switching socks to "Wrightsocks" and finding the "right" trailrunner for my feet changed blisters from ocurring regularly to not appearing at all (for 2500km and counting). But theres people that found different things working for them...

I was already done the hike at this stage. I'm mostly looking for preventative suggestions, not so much treatment, but cheers.
I always use two pair of socks, one thin, one thicker and I tape with 'paper like' tape. Hope that helps!
BC SY

I've tried some suggestions like pre-taping that area and what-not, but that just seems to encourage blisters to form at the edges of the taped area for some reason
That's unusual. What kind of tape are you using?
I like the very thin and flexible Omnifix and Hypafix tapes. They come in wide rolls, so you can tape a large area.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try to identify the root cause. What do you think is causing the friction? Is it both feet or just one?

Is the friction between the toes or the bottom of your by the toes?

Friction between the toes:
1) Gel toe sleeve on the 2nd toe.
2) Inji liner toe socks.

Friction on the bottom of your foot (ball):
1) Are your shoes wide enough across the forefoot and toes? Are the shoes compressing the width of your feet. Maybe a different pair of shoes like Altras with a wide toe box.

2) Are your shoes long enough (at least 1/2 size or more). Are your feet sliding forward in your shoe? Do your toe nails rub against the front of the shoe? You may consider trying a different lacing technique. Tightening the forefoot or lace locking the heel.

3) Maybe a felt metatarsal pad if it is always in the same spot. It might take some of the pressure off the location where your blister occurred.

4) Have you tried FootGlide, Hiker Goo, etc.

So you tried taping and got blisters on the edge. What type of tape did you use? Did it come loose near the edges? Remember to layer the tape if necessary and in the proper order to reduce the friction on the edges of the tape. Like laying shingles on a roof. I try to round the edges of my tape to prevent a corner from catching a sock etc.

I like Hypafix or Lueko P tape. Hypafix easily stretches and conforms to different shapes. It can be removed and reapplied easily. Leuko P is a sports tape that really sticks. It can last for days.

I suggest you look at Rebecca Rushton's website www.blister-prevention.com. It has a wealth of good advice about prevention and treatment.

I came here to suggest this too. That site should be everyone's go-to when it comes to blister prevention advice - I haven't found a better resource. Hope you find relief!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@DuaneS: Yikes! As already recommended, Rebecca Rushton's website, in particular https://www.blister-prevention.com/blister-on-bottom-of-foot/, appears to be a good start to find help eventually, see also point 4: such blisters are often associated with structural and biomechanical issues. All the tapes, creams and socks in the world will not address such issues.

This isn't a camino specific post, but I just wanted to solicit advice. I completed the Camino Frances in 2017 from SJPDP and have done several other long distance hikes. No matter what shoes I seem to get, or what insoles, I almost always get bad blisters after day 2 or 3. I don't particularly mind when I get a small one on the toe, but I often get one that starts between my big toe and the next toe, and slowly spreads to the bottom of my foot, which is very painful with each step. I have yet to have a camino where I enjoyed more than a day or two without foot pain, and I'd really like to solve it.

I've attached a photo of a recent blister (after I de-roofed it when I stopped). I've tried some suggestions like pre-taping that area and what-not, but that just seems to encourage blisters to form at the edges of the taped area for some reason.

I've got a few photos to match yours from my first Camino...it took months to heal properly. I since had been evaluated by an orthopedist who recommended shoes/hikers that take your weight in the heel,not toward the ball of the foot. ( think Altra or Zero ), I use Compeed foot glide generously , injini toe sox, and NON WATERPROOF low cut shoes or trail runners. I found that overheated feet, no matter how many times I changed socks and dried were way more prone to blisters. The lighter I got in my footwear, the more breathable, lighter weight toe sox...no blisters in the last 6 Camino's. From hamburg feet to happy feet...good luck!

Your blister pattern is not typical (you probably know that). Besides friction, I’d estimate that your skin is becoming weakened by excessive moisture. Suggest trying the following:

• Non-waterproof shoes that breathe as much as possible.
  • Swab between toes with Povidone Iodine solution for drying + disinfection
  • Injinji liner socks with individual toes that wick moisture away from skin
  • Outer sock of medium weight Merino wool, like Darn Tough
  • Carry 2-3 spare sock sets and swap out socks during day. Hang the damp socks to dry on your pack with secure clothes pins
  • Drain blisters immediately and leave them with a small hole so they no longer hold fluid.
  • If fluid is left in the blister, it pushes laterally between the skin layers and can expand the blister size. Swab the site again with Povidone Iodine solution.
  • Other than a hole to drain fluid, leave as much blister skin as possible. It serves as a biological dressing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Other than a hole to drain fluid, leave as much blister skin as possible. It serves as a biological dressing.
And do NOT put Compeed on a blister of this type. Its intended use is to heal open wounds such as de-roofed blisters. On other than de-roofed blisters that is the chance that Compeed will end up tearing away the roof.

Not really cheers! But anyway, when you stop, around every two hours, for ten minutes - which will turn into 20, take off your socks at once. Attach them securely to your backpack so they can dry out. Put on clean dry socks when you are getting ready to go. Repeat each time you stop, but you only need to use two pairs of socks in rotation on a single day. My own experience has led me to use only smartwool socks of whichever brand comes to hand when I am packing. Never cotton. For me. 👣

Sock liners of some sort may be your answer.
Many people like iniji, others like silk or the REI liners. I go with either knee high nylons or a similar sort made out of cotton or bamboo. (can't afford silk)
I walk for a living as a tour guide and this combo works really well for me. I do wear boots, as they have a thick sole and a good cushion for asphalt and cobblestones as well as in mud or on gravel. The sock combo is what I wear a good portion of the year. Since I do have corns, especially a pesky one on my little toe, I either put one of those little donut cushions on it or a some body glide.
3 Caminos, no blisters, and this includes falling in a creek and walking for 4 more hours with boots that had filled with water. The double socking is easy, but find one that works for you and is comfy.

Also, turn your socks inside out, both liner and sock, unless you have seamless socks. Almost forgot to add this.

Last edited:

Your boot is loose on your foot. Snug up the first couple laces and on the third one tie a knot. Your foot is sliding forward as you're walking.

Wearing liners for any long walk has helped me avoid blisters as a rule.

Also, in my experience, I've had luck preventing them by trying to be sensitive to the development of a hotspot, and then having the presence of mind to stop, pull off my shoe, and apply a moleskin. I also learned from a National Park Service ranger that a square of good old duct tape can work just as well.

Most, but not all, hotspots will develop early in my walk, especially if I'm carrying a heavy pack. That's when I'm fresh and eager to make some early headway and I don't want to pull over and do a little preventive maintenance. Therefore, I have to exercise some awareness and discipline, which seems terribly unfair.

That's unusual. What kind of tape are you using?
I like the very thin and flexible Omnifix and Hypafix tapes. They come in wide rolls, so you can tape a large area.
Duct tape would work as well, and much cheaper to boot!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I’ve always used Compeed products. Both the patches and the anti blister stick which I rub on my feet every morning before the socks (merino wool without a seam) go on. I’ve used both Meindl and Hoka footwear because they have wide fitting’s available for someone with duck’s feet like me . No problems so far over three Caminos…..but everyone’s feet are different. Buen Camino

Perhaps you need to look into orthotics. I know that I could not walk without them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're going to get as many opinions on blister treatment and prevention as there are people in this forum. Having said that, here's my two cents worth.

Several years ago, I got a similar blister while hiking the El Camino Real (California Mission Trail). I was wearing Injini liner socks and a running sock, so check on the liner and wicking socks. It's a difficult area to dress. I found that the source of the friction (shear actually) was that the Injini liner sock was old and loose fitting. The solution to keeping this from happening again was to purchase new Injini liner sock. Since then, I regularly purchase new ones to replace the old ones that are worn out. Currently, I have purchased new liner and outer socks that I will not wear until day 1 of the Camino.

Best of luck to you.

I always use two pair of socks, one thin, one thicker and I tape with 'paper like' tape. Hope that helps!
BC SY
This is my strategy - and I air my feet and change socks around midway each day. This stops moisture building up. I also ise 2 pairs of coolmax liner socks - at home recently I went on a 7 mile walk with one pair and s blister started to gorm on my heel! 🙄

BC SY
Personally I use leuko tape strong adhesive tape on my problem areas where I usually suffer blisters and obviously well broke in walking footwear suffered really bad blisters over years now none at all hopefully be the same this year on the Frances again starting 26 th May

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not really cheers! But anyway, when you stop, around every two hours, for ten minutes - which will turn into 20, take off your socks at once. Attach them securely to your backpack so they can dry out. Put on clean dry socks when you are getting ready to go. Repeat each time you stop, but you only need to use two pairs of socks in rotation on a single day. My own experience has led me to use only smartwool socks of whichever brand comes to hand when I am packing. Never cotton. For me. 👣
Same for me! I only uses merino socks ( Devold , Norwegian brand ) . Stops every 2 hours or so and remove shoes and socks for 10 mns , moving my toes ,
Each morning I spread Vaseline on and between toes
Salomon shoes works for me … never goretex of course
And plenty of water
Also a few weeks before leaving I have a good pedicure ..and I also train walking barefoot on the beach ( lucky me ) to strengthen my soles

I used Compeed as soon as some red spot appears
This time I am going to try Hikers wool , I sawsome NewZealabders using it .. Îveru expensive to have it shipped from NZ
I ordered it fromhttps://www.drugsupplystore.com/
And here the link to the NZ site

Cette lésion n'est pas typique d'une ampoule mais fort probablement d'une mycose - intertrigo d'allure bulleuse - qui comme tous les intertrigo est désespérante de récidive conseils consulter votre medecin quand elle apparait en sachant que les prélèvements locaux pour mise en culture et identification sont assez décevant en général dans ce type de lésion

That's just where I used to get mine!!
I started wearing double layer cotton socks! Work absolute wonders!! They aren't exactly cheap but I now wear 2 pairs of cotton socks and they have the same affect - no blisters!
Good luck!
Margaret

Sale for me! I only uses merino socks ( Devold , Norwegian brand ) . Stops every 2 hours or so and remove shoes and socks for 10 mns , moving my toes ,
Each morning I spread Vaseline on and between toes
Salomon shoes works for me … never goretex of course
And plenty of water
Also a few weeks before leaving I have a good pedicure ..and I also train walking barefoot on the beach ( lucky me ) to strengthen my soles
I found double layer cotton socks work absolute wonders No sock changes or vaseline necessary.
I do she'd loads of walking and completed Camino Inglés with no problems!

Wondered why I never get blisters here in Ireland, after a lot of thought decided it was because my feet do not sweat here. So I decided to use my usual antiperspirant on my feet each morning on Camino, rub it all around and between my toes. I don't get any more blisters. works for me. Maybe it can for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Preventative measures includes taping potential hot spots BEFORE you develop problems. As an certificated Emergency Outdoor Care Technician having hiked the CF four times with one blister I can tell you with certainty that preventing blisters starts with preventative measures. There are pads that you can put on your inserts that are very slick in addition to tape on your feet. You CAN prevent blisters.

Preventative measures includes taping potential hot spots BEFORE you develop problems. As an certificated Emergency Outdoor Care Technician having hiked the CF four times with one blister I can tell you with certainty that preventing blisters starts with preventative measures. There are pads that you can put on your inserts that are very slick in addition to tape on your feet. You CAN prevent blisters.
I sought advice from a chiropractor before I started and the secret is to harden the feet before you start. Any lotions or vaseline will soften the feet.

I sought advice from a chiropractor before I started and the secret is to harden the feet before you start. Any lotions or vaseline will soften the feet.

Sorry, but I wouldn't take foot advice from a chiropractor.

Blisters can and do form under hardened callused skin. When they do, they can be more painful and difficult to treat.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
From my days humping a ruck in the military (not known for quality equipment), I found the tricks that worked for me, and gave me 2 zero blister Camino.
Clean, dry feet, a light use is Sportslick between the toes and any areas were friction may occur, and a pair of clean, dry Wright socks.

Blisters can and do forum under hardened callused skin. When they do, they can be more painful and difficult to treat.
Well I never had any problems after taking the advice

Simple solution - buy and wear ArmaSkin socks. My wife and I used them from St JDP to Finisterre and not one blister. They are latex socks you wear under your normal socks. Totally guarantee you will not get blisters. Buy them online.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Are you rubbing your feet with Vaseline before you start out each day and again 1/2 way through the day's walk? Also, check your sock type.

Since every shoe gives you blisters, I recommend that you seek a podiatrist as custom made inserts may help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Try these blister proof socks. I used them in 2018 for my 41 days walking from SJPdP to Finisterre & did not get one blister.

Darn Tough socks (Darn Tough is the brand name). I never get blisters wearing these socks but do with other top brand socks. I carried thee pair of darn tough socks when I walked Camino in 2017.

Last edited:
Are you rubbing your feet with Vaseline before you start out each day and again 1/2 way through the day's walk? Also, check your sock type.

After you rub the vaseline, put on a pair of cheap and thin nylon panty sock as women wear often as a first layer
Than put on your regular socks
The panty socks will a layer in between your skin and your socks
655 kms from Lisbon to Santiago without any blister

Bom caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Blisters can and do form under hardened callused skin. When they do, they can be more painful and difficult to treat.
Two very reputable chiropractors that I've seen for my lower back both have extensive knowledge to evaluate the bones in the feet and ankles. They both prescribe various orthotics to correct foot position and posture overall. I'm not sure they would have any medical advice as to the skin of the feet ( unless they were hardcore hikers with an opinion ). In my experience skin should not be scraped of every callous layer as in a pedicure because it leaves the area too sensitive. Nor should there be large cracking hardened callused areas. I get a pedicure a month out from my planned camino walk asking the pedicurist to not be too aggressive and I use an emory board to gently exfoliate any area that begins to toughen too much. Skin integrity is everything !

Last edited:
Two very reputable chiropractors that I've seen for my lower back both have extensive knowledge to evaluate the bones in the feet and ankles. They both prescribe various orthotics to correct foot position and posture overall. I'm not sure they would have any medical advice as to the skin of the feet ( unless they were hardcore hikers with an opinion ). In my experience skin should not be scraped of every callous layer as in a pedicure because it leaves the area too sensitive. Nor should there be large cracking hardened callused areas. I get a pedicure a month out from my planned camino walk asking the pedicurist to not be too aggressive and I use an emory board to gently exfoliate any area that begins to toughen too much. Skin integrity is everything !
Totally agree! I ask the same to
Merci podologies y one month before leaving .. she always says my soles are strongs and fleshy because I walk a lot barefoot !

Your post tells me that you still haven't found the right shoe and sock combination. The recommendation I got from a local podiatrist who hikes the Camino regularly is to get trail runners (atras work for me because of the wide toe box). Size up 1 1/2 sizes. Then wear double socks. For me, injinji toe socks with cushioned merino wool outer socks (either injinji or darn tough). I find that the double socks take up some of the extra space, then tightening laces around the opening of the shoe keeps my heal from sliding around. Then the toe area has plenty of room and the double socks and the cushioning prevents blisters around the outer foot and on the sole of my feet and the toe socks prevent the blisters between the toes. I never get blisters when I follow the guidance from this podiatrist. It is when I don't do it that I have problems.

Anyhow - try different sock/shoe combinations until you find what works for you.

But - please don't de-roof a blister! You can create all sort of problems doing that. Your better bet is to sterilize a sewing needle or safety pin and draining a blister if it is too big to walk with. Better yet - as soon as you feel a "hot spot" on your feet - stop and apply a compeed. The thing about compeed though - is you are supposed to leave them on until they start to fall off. You are also supposed to apply before the blister actually forms. What happens is people put them on actual blisters and peel them off too soon - and often rip the blister open. Not good.

Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your post tells me that you still haven't found the right shoe and sock combination. The recommendation I got from a local podiatrist who hikes the Camino regularly is to get trail runners (atras work for me because of the wide toe box). Size up 1 1/2 sizes. Then wear double socks. For me, injinji toe socks with cushioned merino wool outer socks (either injinji or darn tough). I find that the double socks take up some of the extra space, then tightening laces around the opening of the shoe keeps my heal from sliding around. Then the toe area has plenty of room and the double socks and the cushioning prevents blisters around the outer foot and on the sole of my feet and the toe socks prevent the blisters between the toes. I never get blisters when I follow the guidance from this podiatrist. It is when I don't do it that I have problems.

Anyhow - try different sock/shoe combinations until you find what works for you.

But - please don't de-roof a blister! You can create all sort of problems doing that. Your better bet is to sterilize a sewing needle or safety pin and draining a blister if it is too big to walk with. Better yet - as soon as you feel a "hot spot" on your feet - stop and apply a compeed. The thing about compeed though - is you are supposed to leave them on until they start to fall off. You are also supposed to apply before the blister actually forms. What happens is people put them on actual blisters and peel them off too soon - and often rip the blister open. Not good.

Good luck!
I've had nothing but problems with compeed and would never use it again. I think it's ok for some types of blisters, but not all. For example if I get one on the bottom, and put compeed on it, the blister just grows and spreads inside as the compeed soaks up fluid and gets larger. It just amplifies the problem. Plus compeed completely wrecks my socks as they get all sticky. I know some people like it, but I know just as many who have used it and would never use it again. But the other advise is appreciated! I'm going to try some trail runners tomorrow and see how they go.

The anamnesis you provide may indicate a need for a little deeper research than seeing a podiatrist and ordering custom insoles as suggested above. Perhaps an appointment with a GP and confirming blood sugar levels are OK..

Lots of great tips and opinions as always.

For what it's worth, this my regime. 3 x Caminos. Never had a blister. Maybe I was just lucky?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is my strategy - and I air my feet and change socks around midway each day. This stops moisture building up. I also ise 2 pairs of coolmax liner socks - at home recently I went on a 7 mile walk with one pair and s blister started to gorm on my heel! 🙄
I tend to get blisters between my toes and I also find changing socks to really help (along with encasing my toes and a few other vulnerable areas in paper tape).

You've probably tried (and will continue to try) different solutions. Since everyone's feet is different, I'd suggest trying one thing at a time, and keeping a simple log to help you suss out what might work best for you:

--What you will try — and what you will do when you get a hot spot
--What you hope to happen
--What you observe when you examine your feet at a midpoint break
--When you first notice a hot spot -- and what you did about it
--When you get back to the car
--Conclusion

Example: New XX socks with my normal trail runners
Try: to wear XX socks for the entire walk without changing them -- use Compeed on hot spots.
Hope: to see no blisters or hot spots between my toes
At midpoint: feet red, hot, sweaty; socks wet from sweat. Treated hotspots.
Hot Spots: Noticed hot spots forming by 10km -- treated with Compeed
Back at the car: feet sore, swollen a bit, hot, sweaty; socks and shoes saturated with sweat, hot spots not yet blisters but probably close, toes wrinkled a bit from the moisture.
Conclusion: This sock / shoe combination is too warm and not breathable enough but Compeed kept hotspots from blisters after 5 more km.

It's a pain to have to try so many combinations of socks but the good news is that homeless people really appreciate good, very lightly used hiking socks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.