• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

help with camino kml,kmz,gpx tracking.

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi all!
I have got the main track down for the Coastal Portuguese on my phone, tablet. and 12 inch laptop.( bit of overkill i know but with my visual problems i need options. Depending on how i am being affected on the day which one i will use;i might have to plan on laptop in hotel room before i leave and write key points huge on paper!(obviously i will have the voice prompts from the track)
I have it on Osmand+(osmand+best on my phone), Google My maps and google earth.
My laptop is the best for making changes at the moment because it has my Zoomtext screen reader magnifier installed which i have used for the last 15 years ;its expensive but works for me. (also 12 inch screen biggest is best)
I am a virtual GPS virgin and have got as far as i have with the help of Rick and others help and recommendations.

My question is this with regard to Google My Maps (not sure about Osmand+ i can change my maps on my laptop and because its google they are replicated on phone and tablet)!!

In Google My Maps i have added all the places i will be staying on or near the Camino route;each time it adds an icon to the map for the accommodation it also offers a numbered point icon?
For example Hotel Zenit icon; then another icon that says point 16!!
THE QUESTION: If i add these points will they be added to the map and the Caminos existing track? In other words will the Camino track take me to this numbered icon (is this my accommodation) or will i have to navigate to the hotel separately?
I hope this is the case as it would make things a bit easier for me. Thanks for any advice.
all the best Woody66

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm not 100% sure but I think the points and the track are independent. So, I'm not sure what you mean when say will it "take me to". You could always request it, but I don't think the point will be "attached to the track" per se. Can you give a little more detailed explanation of the process that you want to do and I'll try and duplicate it on my environment?

If you are using google maps on your android, you can click one of the points (POI/Points of Interest) and use the WALKING directions to navigate to your hotel, for example. For much of the Camino, you can rely on the yellow arrows. When you are curious as to where you may be on the GPS or distance to a POI, use your phone (even with cellular / data turned off) and the built in GPS will show your position on the Google Maps app.

There's a little more information on several other GPS apps, Google maps, plus how to conserve battery power on your phone while using it as a GPS on this blog, if it helps you. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... My question is this with regard to Google My Maps (not sure about Osmand+ ...

THE QUESTION: ... will the Camino track take me to the numbered point?

I cannot help with Google My Maps but as I have been using OsmAnd+ almost daily for about four years I will focus on that.

1. OsmAnd+ permits users to save points on the map and name them, using text or numbers or both. OsmAnd calls such points Favourites. Prefixing the text portion of the names with numbers or country/state/city abbreviations could help in sequencing them in the lists of Favourites.

2. All of the versions of OsmAnd+ that I have used definitely permit navigating by car, bike, or foot (as you choose) to whatever Favourite you select. It is easy to do. Also, the current version of Osmand+ permits the user to add / remove intermediate and subsequent destinations on the fly. This can help one push or pull the plotted route in some desired direction such as e.g. around some city or through some park, etc. One can also select points on roads, trails etc. and mark them "Avoid Road". The software recalculates the route automatically.

3. Favourites can be saved in named folders.

4. Folders-full of Favourites can be displayed or un-displayed on the map, as you choose. Un-displaying folders of Favourites situated in regions not of immediate interest might speed up map refreshes.

5. When planning routes: If your current location is not relevant to the planned route, in my experience it is prudent to temporarily disable Location Services for OsmAnd, before starting OsmAnd for the route planning session, so that the route does not inadvertently start at / stop at / include your current location.

I have no economic interest in OsmAnd; I just enjoy working with it.

Hi John!
Thanks for your reply; by the way before i start i would like to thank you for your videos of the Portuguese Coastal Camino through the central to Santiago from Porto. I have followed all your YouTube vids stage by stage. They gave me confidence to give it a go; as a severely sight impaired person my biggest fear was how bad was the trail. So i have watched them with great interest and now i know .(they are all in my favorites list on chrome and they are on my laptop for reference when i walk ).
Well as i said i am a novice and don't know how this works but here goes!
As in my post i place the name/address of the hotel/hostel in the search box of Mymaps each time i click add to map my hotel/hostel appears as the usual icon you would see in google maps!
When i deselect the info box above the icon;another icon same colour and shape appears in same location and says in the info box the word Point and a two digit number in the box (it each new location added the number is consecutive) .
My thoughts were are these points being added to the original imported gps track;therefore meaning the voice prompts would lead me to the hotel. or are they a separate thing completely!
Woody

I cannot help with Google My Maps but as I have been using OsmAnd+ almost daily for about four years I will focus on that.

1. OsmAnd+ permits users to save points on the map and name them, using text or numbers or both. OsmAnd calls such points Favourites. Prefixing the text portion of the names with numbers or country/state/city abbreviations could help in sequencing them in the lists of Favourites.

2. All of the versions of OsmAnd+ that I have used definitely permit navigating by car, bike, or foot (as you choose) to whatever Favourite you select. It is easy to do. Also, the current version of Osmand+ permits the user to add / remove intermediate and subsequent destinations on the fly. This can help one push or pull the plotted route in some desired direction such as e.g. around some city or through some park, etc. One can also select points on roads, trails etc. and mark them "Avoid Road". The software recalculates the route automatically.

4. Folders-full of Favourites can be displayed or un-displayed on the map, as you choose. Un-displaying folders of Favourites situated in regions not of immediate interest might speed up map refreshes.

5. When planning routes: If your current location is not relevant to the planned route, in my experience it is prudent to temporarily disable Location Services for OsmAnd, before starting OsmAnd for the route planning session, so that the route does not inadvertently start at / stop at / include your current location.

this thread fascinates me! Mainly because to me it all seems like techie alphabet soup! :) As one who cant get the duck out of the bath navigation is a source of endless wonder! I had a GPS once but gave it away to a child! Ya gotta laff! If the route is so bad I usually pray for guidance or deliberately follow hares down a path. Haven't seen any horny toads in Iberia so that's out too! Keep on truckin kiddies and if we ever meet, pay no heed, cos I wont admit to being lost: " just following a different path ! :)

Samarkand."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all!
I have got the main track down for the Coastal Portuguese on my phone, tablet. and 12 inch laptop.( bit of overkill i know but with my visual problems i need options. Depending on how i am being affected on the day which one i will use;i might have to plan on laptop in hotel room before i leave and write key points huge on paper!(obviously i will have the voice prompts from the track)
I have it on Osmand+(osmand+best on my phone), Google My maps and google earth.
My laptop is the best for making changes at the moment because it has my Zoomtext screen reader magnifier installed which i have used for the last 15 years ;its expensive but works for me. (also 12 inch screen biggest is best)
I am a virtual GPS virgin and have got as far as i have with the help of Rick and others help and recommendations.

My question is this with regard to Google My Maps (not sure about Osmand+ i can change my maps on my laptop and because its google they are replicated on phone and tablet)!!

In Google My Maps i have added all the places i will be staying on or near the Camino route;each time it adds an icon to the map for the accommodation it also offers a numbered point icon?
For example Hotel Zenit icon; then another icon that says point 16!!
THE QUESTION: If i add these points will they be added to the map and the Caminos existing track? In other words will the Camino track take me to this numbered icon (is this my accommodation) or will i have to navigate to the hotel separately?
I hope this is the case as it would make things a bit easier for me. Thanks for any advice.
all the best Woody66
I've been doing a lot of work with Google May Maps recently (you can see my map with the various Camino routes in Iberia and albergues/restaurants/bars that others have recommended here).

In my experience there are two ways to add an icon to the map:
1. You can search for the establishment using the search box. If it finds it, it will take you to the place and ask if you want to add it to the map. When I add a location to the map using the search function to find it, I am not offered a numbered point icon.
2. You can move around the map until you find the spot and click the little upside-down teardop button (Add marker) to add an icon to the map. If I do that, I get a numbered point. It pops up in edit mode with "Point 146" (or whatever number) highlighted. That's the point name and I can edit it to whatever I want (for example, "Albergue San Anton".

I haven't found myself in a situation where I am offered both. Perhaps you are searching for your establishment and then using the "add marker" button to add the location to the map. If the location is already on the map, I don't use that button. Rather, I select the location and, at the bottom of the little pop-up is a "+ Add to map" link which I use. Then you avoid duplicated icons.

all the best Woody66
Try it and see what happens for you.

When I try it then the route appears as a coloured line but I don't know of any way to follow the line by getting direction instructions.

I can choose either two points featured on the line (or my current position if I was in Spain) and ask GMaps for directions but then GMaps doesn't necessarily follow the line when it provides me with walking directions between the two points.

Hello Woody. I somehow missed this thread since you first wrote. So, it looks like you found OSMand useful. Did it do a good job giving you directions for a recorded track? That was not a feature I ever used so I could only point you to it in the hopes that it might work out for you.

From your posts though it looks to me that you will mainly be relying on Google navigation. I really don't use Google much for navigation so I won't be terribly useful to you. If you ask it to plot a course for you between points it will do that and give you voice directions (definitely for driving but I hope for walking too). Note though that the problem is that the way it picks for you to walk may not actually be the camino that everyone else is walking. It may not even know that the camino is around.

You may need to watch your position on the map that OSMand or other app provides to make sure you get to town. Once there use Google. Ask it for directions from your current location to your lodging. You should be able to do that by typing in your destination or, since you have bookmarked where you intend on staying, picking the location from the map where your favorite icon has been placed. You should be able to do this in OSMand also if you have entered a set of favorite places in that app as well (but entering a location in OSMand is messy). I pretty much did the same for my last camino. I followed a track someone else recorded on the Wikiloc app (standing in for OSMand) and then firing up Google maps in town because the end point of track could have ended anywhere in town, not where I was going to. That also was useful in that I might see, for example, a grocery store marked in Gmap a bit out of the way to the albergue but none near it and I divert myself.

As for including your points into the track, I don't think it happens automatically in Gmap (and I know it doesn't with OSMand). It probably can be done some way but I don't think it is worth the effort to find out how or do it as you can do what I said just above so easily (switch from following a track to get directions from current location to destination).

That bit about adding an icon to the map and having it also ask for a point number: I can get Gmap only on my Android smartphone and I don't see this happening (my laptop recently died and my desktop has ancient software).

Followup questions are welcomed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Rick! Thanks again for your help.
Yes Osmand + is on my phone (good) and tablet (OK that's the tablets display settings not Osm);best customisable app ( 300% text ,400%magnificaton,high contrast, tracks, colours/style to base map etc, that's why i brought it)
But I still have to use a times six hand held magnifier when the map is at max magnification; which in itself makes it challenging ( as the magnified area on screen is much smaller because it's magnified) although that's to see it ,indoors in a darkened room so there's no other light effecting the screen!!(outside in daylight no hope but it has voice so that's the big bonus.(it will be OSMAND track i will probably follow between towns( i also have a 12 inch notebook with my Zoomtext Screen Reader Magnifier installed bl**dy expensive but amazing for me been using for 15 years, only viable with internet connection ;but taking it anyway )i suppose its a question of suck it and see on the walk.

I thought if i add this video link it might give you an insight into what kind of vision i have and why the overkill with options(not really relevant i know)
Not exact but good enough. I had a chat with Eugene the developer of Trailsmart another great guy who offered me help trying to sort things out so sent it to him.( in the clip the central vision is clear,mine is not which leaves me with a halo of vision in the middle which requires me to use eccentric viewing. Also have vision in one eye only, night blindness,no depth perception, and i am hearing impaired so good to go ha!ha!

I have made maps/routes in Mymaps and Gmaps. ( David above showed me my error with markers i must have had the marker tab selected when inputting a location as add to map cos now it doesn't do it now).
I also have wise pilgrim app and a step by step guide from Ciserone press; that my phone narrates.
I do agree with you about G maps in town;does seem easiest option and have been using it at home as well as osmand but not a recorded track just between two points.
I have until next September to keep learning.

I will also have the address /phone numbers of all accommodation on the route i have booked (72 point font on tear-off pieces of paper stapled together for bar /taxi etc if i need help)
With tech i think for me the Camino is doable. (well i'm going)
Woody

Woody, I'm still planning to write something but in the meantime you will want to learn how to use a app to plot a course between some point and your lodging like Google Maps does but to save the directions as a track into a GPX or KML file. There is already one thread on this from last year at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/63959

There is another one also that uses Google Earth to do the job easily but I'm going to have to search for it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Rick!

Thanks i will give it a go! Hope your good at holding your breath; oh no on second thoughts don't do that i wouldn't want be responsible for the loss of life ha!ha!
all the best Woody

I thought if i add this video link it might give you an insight into what kind of vision i have and why the overkill with options(not really relevant i know)
Also have vision in one eye only, night blindness,no depth perception, and i am hearing impaired so good to go ha!ha!
Woody, I'm terribly impressed by your taking on the camino with all the extra difficulties you will experience while on it. Let's see if I can help you out.

It may look like I'm rushing you here with the stuff below but take your time with the previous stuff I posted before (on using OSMand or Google Maps to create a GPS track from their features of getting directions). Once you get a handle on that we will work on how to get those tracks incorporated into the tracks of the daily stages that you have so you can use the voice directions for the track to get you from door to door.

There are tools to do this incorporation although I personally only know of one. That is the online toolkit provided (for free) by gpsvisualizer.com. I use this once in a while but I do modify tracks all the time by using a text editor and knowing what a track looks like under the hood. That is because both KML and GPX files are really just text files with information stored in them in a defined structure. I created a sample file for you in the GPX format to see what a simple version of the text and structure looks like (the spacing is to make things easier to read and really can be in there or not and other elements like time and elevation can be added also).

I understand that you may have trouble with text editing of stuff like this so I'm going slow here. I'll add more detail later if you want to go on but I will add one more thing now. If you copy the text to a file with a name like tunnel.txt and rename the file to tunnel.gpx then, using OSMand or other apps, you can see a tiny portion of the ending of the Camino Frances and a pin indicating the cathedral entrance (standing in for your lodging destination). But the next step would be to connect the last point on the track to the waypoint of where you want to go. I bet you can figure out the easiest way how.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gpx>
    <wpt lat="42.8812238" lon="-8.5486373">
        <name>Cathedral entrance</name>
    </wpt>
    <trk>
        <name>Tunnel track</name>
        <desc>Shows the way through the tunnel to the plaza. Length: 17.96 m (58.92 ft)</desc>
        <trkseg>
            <trkpt lat="42.8813614" lon="-8.548471"></trkpt>
            <trkpt lat="42.8813398" lon="-8.5485676"></trkpt>
            <trkpt lat="42.8813339" lon="-8.5486212"></trkpt>
            <trkpt lat="42.881326" lon="-8.5486856"></trkpt>
        </trkseg>
    </trk>
</gpx>

Hi Rick!
Wow listened to the above post in my reader and thought OMG help; I've got the brains of a house brick!!!
But i will try.
Firstly thanks for your efforts on my behalf.
Right here goes:
Regarding this post you sent:
See the thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/65994
I gave a way in post 10 but then got terribly outclassed by a method from @Kathar1na in post 15.

So, lets try going to https:/mymaps.google.com
Sign into an account (if not already signed-in)
Create a new map
Click "untitled map" and fill in the pop-up
Click the Y looking icon next to the ruler (should show a tool tip of "Add directions")
That brings up your two type-in boxes for start and end points.
I entered Boston and New York.
The track runs through Hartford.
I could save now but these are driving directions and so I switch to walking directions by clicking the car and then the person walking.
The track now passes through Middleton.
Go up to the top where the name of your map is shown.
Left click the three vertical dots.
Chose "Export to KML/KMZ"
Export the entire map (just use the defaults right now)
Download
Pick a folder and name that you like.

That's it. Use this saved file with all the various GPS apps you know about. Experiment with fancier things later

I really have trouble with google earth visuals;so followed your instructions for Mymaps and added simple routes like my Hotel to Se do Porto and on to Ponte Luiz; then exported as kmz/kml file and it was saved as a google earth kmz file? Clicked on it and it was there in google earth. ( But i sent it to myself by email to phone/ tablet to see what would happen I opened email;and in maps me i had an empty file! Tried to convert it from Kmz to Gpx on a Kmz to Gpx converter and after a while of attempting to convert an error message appeared.
Did the same process with David Tallan's new map and in maps me i think its showing all the tracks but no markers for albergues or restaurants!
Part two:
Followed your instructions i used gpsvisualizer.com converted tunnel text into a gpx file sent it email to phone /tablet and its on both with a line with icon at the end ( thats all that's there;as expected)but only in gpx viewer; there is nothing in osmand where i thought it was going to be!

I can see that in a while;your gunna have a big bruise from banging your head on the wall ha!ha!

So any ideas what i am doing wrong Rick? Ithink i have followed your instructions correctly, but i am learning as i go.
Thanks again for you help
All the best Woody

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Rick!
Quick update; the Hotel to Se do Porto and on to Ponte Luiz is now showing in mapsme. I went on my phone and when i dragged down the notifications shade the download manager had the route and came up with the open with box. The only options were maps me and ,gpxviewer. So will always check there first in future!' Woody

Sorry, I haven't had time to read the comments above but I'd like to just say:

DON'T RELY ON GOOGLE MAPS!
I've made that mistake before :(

Google Maps only works with internet access, and if you don't save it on the map that adds stars or "want to go" or a label, it will be lost if your phone loses connection. If you save it as a map with locations, it can only be loaded with internet access. If you have mobile internet with you, there might be times where you can lose connection.

You can export all added places from Google Maps to OSMand. OSMand can be used offline (download the map of all countries you will walk through in advance). It was a bit difficult for me to use OSMand as I would Google Maps on the go because it takes longer to type everything I needed in search.

I would advise to keep all notes you add to a map in a separate document (name of place, address, phone number, ...) that you can always open quickly.

Sorry if this was already written, It's really nice outside and I'm in a hurry to get to my balcony :) I'll read it all later

EDIT:
@Rick of Rick and Peg you have a new fan. I'll be following this thread.

@woody66, If you ever need a bit of courage, there is a guy called Feručo, who is currently walking Via Adriatica. That's 1100 km with serious mountains in the way. He is blind and walking with a friend as a guide.
I hope things calm down with covid19 by the time you walk your camino, because people on the way are amazing and will try to help even if not asked. People kept calling to me in the street and pointing when I walked to tell me I'm on the right way. I also finished both my caminos with more people than I started with.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry, I haven't had time to read the comments above but I'd like to just say:

DON'T RELY ON GOOGLE MAPS!
I've made that mistake before :(

Google Maps only works with internet access, and if you don't save it on the map that adds stars or "want to go" or a label, it will be lost if your phone loses connection. If you save it as a map with locations, it can only be loaded with internet access. If you have mobile internet with you, there might be times where you can lose connection.

You can export all added places from Google Maps to OSMand. OSMand can be used offline (download the map of all countries you will walk through in advance). It was a bit difficult for me to use OSMand as I would Google Maps on the go because it takes longer to type everything I needed in search.

I would advise to keep all notes you add to a map in a separate document (name of place, address, phone number, ...) that you can always open quickly.

Sorry if this was already written, It's really nice outside and I'm in a hurry to get to my balcony :) I'll read it all later

EDIT:
@Rick of Rick and Peg you have a new fan. I'll be following this thread.

@woody66, If you ever need a bit of courage, there is a guy called Feručo, who is currently walking Via Adriatica. That's 1100 km with serious mountains in the way. He is blind and walking with a friend as a guide.
I hope things calm down with covid19 by the time you walk your camino, because people on the way are amazing and will try to help even if not asked. People kept calling to me in the street and pointing when I walked to tell me I'm on the right way. I also finished both my caminos with more people than I started with.
If you want to use a custom Google Map and you know you won't have Internet access, there are a couple of options:
- If you just want what is in the main Google Maps application, the map of a location can be saved for offline viewing. Here is one article that describes how to do this: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-use-google-maps-offline
- If you want custom locations or routes saved, it is easy to create and save or share them with Google My Maps (like the map I created and provided the link to above, or the one I made from the CNIG data that has its own thread in this forum). Unfortunately, you can't download it in the same way. However you can export the data as a KML file which can then be imported into a number of other mapping apps (like OSMand) that can be used offline.

Hi David!
Here's my problem ;for some reason whenever i now export a map or track from google maps/mymaps.
(A) It is always a KMZ file when downloaded (whatever option i choose in the box) and not a KML even when i tick the download KML box. When i try to convert to KML converter says ERROR file damaged.

In all scenarios whether downloading as map or track. (both boxes ticked,map or track,either or both boxes)
(B) All these files end up as a PDF files apart from when the file has a Google earth icon; and when i attempt to open them adobe message comes up cant open this file damaged.
(C) I then need to convert the KML to GPX to put it on Osmand+ the app i want to use.
Something is not right;but i don't understand enough to make it work i keep trying.
All the best Woody

Hi David!
Here's my problem ;for some reason whenever i now export a map or track from google maps/mymaps.
(A) It is always a KMZ file when downloaded (whatever option i choose in the box) and not a KML even when i tick the download KML box. When i try to convert to KML converter says ERROR file damaged.
A KMZ file is a "zip"ed file that contains a KML file.

If you want to access the KML file directly or via an application that does not understand KMZ file structure then you need to unzip the KMZ file first. How you unzip the KMZ file depends on which operating system is running on the computer that you use.

The KML standard specifies that any KML file larger than 10KB should be zipped.

Google Earth understands and can read KMZ files directly but can't deal with large KMZ files.

Sometimes the data within a KML file will reference an image (photo) or additional text or URL's. These things sit outside of the KML file and so can be "packaged" up neatly into a single file (archive) by putting everything into a KMZ file. So if your map refers to images or other external references then it can only sensibly be exported as a KMZ.
(B) All these files end up as a PDF files apart from when the file has a Google earth icon; and when i attempt to open them adobe message comes up cant open this file damaged.

This is also Operating system dependent.

(C) I then need to convert the KML to GPX to put it on Osmand+ the app i want to use.
Something is not right;but i don't understand enough to make it work i keep trying.
All the best Woody

If Osmand(+) can't read KMZ files directly then unzip the KMZ file first but you will find that any reference to images, extra text or URL's becomes unresolved inside Osmand.

Also, be aware that the KML standard specifies that the KML file will be called docs.kml. The KMZ file will most likely NOT be called docs.KMZ and so after unziping the file you probably need to hunt down the KML file. ☹️

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you want to access the KML file directly or via an application that does not understand KMZ file structure then you need to unzip the KMZ file first. How you unzip the KMZ file depends on which operating system is running on the computer that you use.
If you keep running into problems with the unzipping then copy filename.kmz to filename.zip and try unzipping that.

For what it's worth, there are a few camino apps which have done the work for you. The one I write also offers the ability to download the map tiles for offline use. If you have lots of custom points you want to add, this won't help much. But for the routes and albergues it is more than enough.

BTW another advantage of using an off-line mapping/navigation app such as OsmAnd is that one can use a much more economical device. Good 8" Android tabs with GPS receivers & WIFI & Bluetooth & a slot for external memory, but no built-in phone, are now available for under e.g. CAD$200 whereas iPhones with their small screens seem to cost about $1000+. The tab must have sufficient memory to store the off-line map files. My tab accommodates a 60 GB micro-SD card which easily holds all of the maps, favourites, and track records I want to use. Just a thought.

€60,-
Hi Pilgrim9!
Thanks for info i have a Samsung galaxy tab A 8 LTE which has the above;it also has a sim card slot ( i am in the UK)plus i have a 64gb SD card in the tab! I have a mobile phone as well.
I have the tracks for Portuguese Coastal and Variente Espiritual on Osmand+ with voice navigation so that part is all good for me. However since then nothing else will open in Osmand; followed all tips from everyone above Osmand wont say hello ha !ha!.
As long as i have the main tracks i should be fine;if i get lost i will ask for help. I have some Spanish, well enough to get by, i did two eight week courses last year need to brush up though!
All the best
Woody.

Hi Pilgrim9!
... since then nothing else will open in Osmand; followed all tips from everyone above Osmand wont say hello ha !ha!. ...
All the best
Woody.

Good day, Woody:

My tab works better when I set the OsmAnd data storage location to be the SD card.

This is where I adjusted that:

OsmAnd+ version 3.5.5 / OsmAnd Settings for the entire app / Data storage folder / Change data storage folder / External storage.

Also, the tab will need sufficient memory (on a PC I would call it RAM) to handle OsmAnd and the currently-enabled maps and data, and the GPS process, and whatever other processes are on the go.

My non-mobile-phone Samsung Galaxy Tab A (8.0", 2019), model SM-T290, running Android 10, has 2 GB of memory and it handles OsmAnd+ 3.5.5 very well even with many enabled maps and hundreds of displayed favourites.

An earlier tab I used to use had less memory and less storage and an earlier, less capable version of Android, and when running an earlier version of OsmAnd+ it did lock up frequently.

I have no financial interest in Samsung or OsmAnd.

Hope that helps.

P9

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.