• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with google translate and the Mozárabe guide

peregrina2000

Staff member
One member of our band of Mozárabe wanderers has asked about how she might be able to translate the online Association guide into English with google translate. She can only do it by cutting and pasting on a page by page basis and is frustrated.

As the least tech-qualified member of the forum, I thought I would put that question out there for some of the tech angels on the forum.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YBZYdwTLY6fDJWjJn7LXXKgQYJmk3aJ2/view

Many thanks, buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I tried to play around with this, but found that Google Translate has a maximum input of 5000 characters, and I counted 32.593 in the text-file. I guess she's stuck with page by page work, unless someone else has a different solution.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first 4 pages are easy to copy and translate. However, after the first 4 pages, there is very little straightforward "text" so I don't think Google translate will be very useful. The footnotes are repeated on each page and are translated anyway. This is the document that I'll take with me, mainly for the accommodation information which is very up-to-date.

Here are links to two English guides.

I was successful by doing the following:

I downloaded the pdf from another place because the file you gave had an instruction in it for Google not to translate the file. I downloaded this:
http://www.camminando.eu/wordpress/.../03/GUIA-ALMERIA-MERIDA-ETAPAS-FEBRERO-18.pdf

Next I uploaded that to https://www.pdftohtml.net
(because the Chrome browser did not offer to translate the pdf)

After the conversion pdftohtml.net said to download a zipped file. I checked pdftohtml first with scamadvisor.com first (and I have nothing important on my PC anyway)

I picked the Chrome browser to display the unzipped file and Chrome offered to translate it.

Purky now tells me in a PM that he has had some success and will spend some time cleaning up the format before sending it on. We will then post it in Resources.

Rick, I understand what you said as well as I understand it when my Norte buddy talks to me in his native Chinese. I think I am doing a good job by finally having figured out how to create a pdf.

I agree with C clearly that the essential part is really the names of places to sleep, distances and elevation profiles, but there is a fair amount of text in some of the pages that would be nice for non-Spansh speakers to be able to see.

Buen camino and many thanks to all, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back