• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with Lamb's Wool Questions...?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
I've recently taken on a new job doing Mental Health Counseling in a gorgeous working farm setting ( yes!, the sessions are out in open air among the animals! )...my question is how is the wool treated to use as padding/friction resolve between toes, etc? I have seen many using wool for the lanolin and padding, but it was not available to me at the time, so I didn't pay much attention.

Is it specific to certain breeds? Does it need to be cleaned, if so, how? Sterilizing? What are the benefits and potential untoward results? In the past while assessing prisoners for allergies to wool blankets, we placed a small wad on the skin and covered with medical tape for 24 hours, then checked for reactions....other than that, I'm just curious and cannot seem to locate much info on its use for hikers.

Thank you to all who are holding and sharing knowledge on this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I actually picked lambs’ wool off of a barb-wired fence next to a pasture while walking the Camino last year! Untreated, random wool from the middle of nowhere provided an excellent blister barrier! You could feel and smell the lanolin on each piece.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
my question is how is the wool treated to use as padding/friction resolve between toes, etc?

This is the kind that I use. I actually get it from a store specializing in "natural baby care".
On the label it says that the only treatment it has had is washing with a mild detergent.

Is it specific to certain breeds? Does it need to be cleaned, if so, how? Sterilizing? What are the benefits and potential untoward results?
That's an interesting question and I'm looking forward to knowledgeable answers. I've started to use hiker's wool for horrible blister problems with my pinky toes (that I did not have in my younger years) as it was not possible for me to treat these problems in any other way (I've tried!!!) and I'm very happy with it.

I've tried to buy hiker's wool in outdoor shops in a few EU countries ... it's surprisingly unknown. I've bought three kinds through Amazon: the "Original Hiker's Wool" from New Zealand (I've even ordered once from them directly in NZ), and two different sets of "untreated" wool from Amazon.de. One of the sets still contained impurities which put me off at first but it seems to be the one that contained the most lanolin and seems to be actually the best type for my purposes. The other set is what is sold as "healing wool" for baby care and similar purposes. It looks very clean; it feels to me as if it contains the least amount of lanolin of the three sets. In relation to this, Wikipedia says that "healing wool" is washed at a temperature of less than 50 °C and then treated in a process called carding while other wool is washed at much higher temperatures and with water containing soda.

You are probably wondering whether you can use the wool as collected on the farm. I must admit that so far I've hesitated to pick up wool in fields and on fences and use it.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The other set is what is sold as "healing wool" for baby care and similar purposes. It's the kind described by @stgcph, and looks very clean; it feels to me as if it contains the least amount of lanolin of the three sets.

I guess you don’t read Danish :), but on the label it says “Pure wool with a high lanolin content”. It is not clean and white like some of the “lamb’s wool” products you can buy e.g. on Amazon and also contains impurities like small pieces of straw etc.

I also tried the original Hiker’s Wool from NZ but this baby-care variant works just as well and at around half the price as the original Hiker’s wool.

I guess you don’t read Danish :), but on the label it says “Pure wool with a high lanolin content”. It is not clean and white like some of the “lamb’s wool” products you can buy e.g. on Amazon and also contains impurities like small pieces of straw etc.
I modified my previous reply - the print on your photo is very hard to read 😊.

I did order the NZ "Original Hiker's Wool" on Amazon.co.uk once but thereafter it was listed as "currently not available" and now it has completely disappeared from their offer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
FWIW - I was advised by a medical doctor who has worked with the Seattle Ballet for years to use lamb's wool lightly wrapped around toes and as a cushion for my bunion. It is available in a 3/8 oz (11 g) packet from a local drug store/ pharmacy. Inexpensive. No information about how it's treated - only that persons with diabetes or poor circulation should consult a physician first. I've use it for 5 years and wouldn't be without it when i travel and walk!

I also tried the original Hiker’s Wool from NZ but this baby-care variant works just as well and at around half the price as the original Hiker’s wool.
Will you post a link to where you get yours from? or is it from the NZ site? thanks.

@stgcph, so I had a look at the website that sells the product you mention and thanks to my Google Translate assisted excellent knowledge of the Danish language, I now know that the wool has been washed mildly so as not to wash out too much lanolin and is also untreated. You will therefore be able to find small residues of straw or other natural impurities - this does not mean that the wool is dirty, on the other hand, it shows that the wool has not been cleaned with harsh means.

From what I see from other websites that sell this kind of lamb's wool for hikers, ballet dancers or personal care, the wool is always washed but moderately (low temperature, mild detergent) so as to keep as much of the lanolin content as possible and it also undergoes carding but both processes are not as rigorous as the washing and carding processes used for wool that is destined for further treatment and for use in clothing or as knitting wool.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you a detective? How on earth did you find that website?? :)🐑
That took about 10 seconds and little effort. Just putting "Lanolinindhold" into Google. It took me a bit longer to verify that uld means indeed wool. It surprised me a little. 🙃

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my third (of 4 so far) Camino it came to me that as a Textile Supplier & Artisan, I was in an ideal position to develop a wool product specifically for Pilgrims.....so I did. I dreamed of supplying all Camino farmacias. I have the product (extra fine 18.5 m Merino wool) 'superwashed' to remove the natural barbs on the fibres that cause felting. I created a label, translated into Spanish & French, as well as English, expounding its ideal qualities for hikers, bagged it into 100 gram increments .....AND THEN started to market it. Full stop: Roadblocks encountered - Spain would like to keep Camino products Spanish, Farmacias are individually owned often by the resident Pharmacist so marketing is cumbersome. So then I approached sports outfitters here in west Coast Vancouver Canada but they had no interest in carrying the product. So then I contacted the Canadian footcare nurses Asociation and arranged to place 150 samples in their Delegates packages at an annual conference....100% no response. So....... from all this, I learned that developing a market is paramont to success ( which I knew but forgot, from previous farming practices ) So, as a final resort I have now dyed much of my supply and sell the roving to Spinners & Felters. So, if anyone is interested in persuing the market further, boy do I have a deal for you LOL fondly sandi

Attachments

• image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 22
  • captivated by wool.jpg
    captivated by wool.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170414_131757[2305843009213752043].jpg
    20170414_131757[2305843009213752043].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20170414_131842[2305843009213752060].jpg
    20170414_131842[2305843009213752060].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would love some of this wool. A Scottish self proclaimed "DR" fixed my friends blisters with this on the Portuguese 2 years ago. I'm on the west coast of Canada. Does anyone know where I can find this here? I tried ordering from the site mentioned but it didn't go through.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've recently taken on a new job doing Mental Health Counseling in a gorgeous working farm setting ( yes!, the sessions are out in open air among the animals! )...my question is how is the wool treated to use as padding/friction resolve between toes, etc? I have seen many using wool for the lanolin and padding, but it was not available to me at the time, so I didn't pay much attention.

Is it specific to certain breeds? Does it need to be cleaned, if so, how? Sterilizing? What are the benefits and potential untoward results? In the past while assessing prisoners for allergies to wool blankets, we placed a small wad on the skin and covered with medical tape for 24 hours, then checked for reactions....other than that, I'm just curious and cannot seem to locate much info on its use for hikers.

Following. I'd love to buy some as well as my friend had a fellow pilgrim help her blisters heal with this amazing wool.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would happily supply anyone willing to cover postage.....wool free to you as fellow-pilgrim :) Just PM me privately with your contact info and I can get an estimate of shipping for you. the wool lives with me in Vancouver Canada (west coast, Fraser Valley to be specific). fondly sandi

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Sophie. Don't know anything about the wool things but I am interested in your Mental Health Counseling. Is this farm on the Camino Frances? Or are you in the states. Very interesting!

Hi Sophie. Don't know anything about the wool things but I am interested in your Mental Health Counseling. Is this farm on the Camino Frances? Or are you in the states. Very interesting!
Yes I am in the states...Massachusetts. We have an 'open air practice' where much of our therapy is done outside either in the gardens, with outdoor animals (rams, horses, mules, miniature ponies, donkeys, alpaca, and several different types of sheep)...in the barn we have baby goats and pigs, chickens and bunnies, ducks.....All of our animals are rescues. There is much to be said for being one with nature, and for learning how to nurture oneself and others...I have clients ages 2-20, who have experienced trauma/crisis/abuse and are healing by learning how to feel loved by giving love.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
can i ask a silly question..how do you actually use it? just grab a tuft and put in sock and walk? or tuck it between toes or whereever? how much? how do you apply to specific areas ie. pinky toes..doesn't it shift while walking? do you discard daily or reuse or wash? do you change or add more during day? i know noone who uses wool and never have seen it described how ? just generally questions of type of wool and where to buy. thanks I am curious and genuinely interested.

@blamoca, I have the same question. I was writing this post as you were writing yours! Since my first Camino I've zig-zagged lamb's wool between my toes, with wraps at the end around big toe and little toe. It does help keep my toes from rubbing and making blisters. I don't use a very thick piece and it gets packed down but I reuse it for a while. (Probably should wash it more often.) It doesn't seem to shift when walking. How do others use the wool on their feet and toes?

I would love some of this wool. A Scottish self proclaimed "DR" fixed my friends blisters with this on the Portuguese 2 years ago. I'm on the west coast of Canada. Does anyone know where I can find this here? I tried ordering from the site mentioned but it didn't go through.
Try PaSu Farms, north of Calgary, Alberta, Canada: http://www.pasu.com/shopping/products/category/health-wellness/ A small bag of wool starts at $3.25. I've used it primarily to avoid blisters when wearing my cowboy boots during the Calgary Stampede when walking in the heat on concrete and asphalt.

can i ask a silly question..how do you actually use it? just grab a tuft and put in sock and walk? or tuck it between toes or whereever? how much? how do you apply to specific areas ie. pinky toes..doesn't it shift while walking? do you discard daily or reuse or wash? do you change or add more during day? i know noone who uses wool and never have seen it described how ? just generally questions of type of wool and where to buy. thanks I am curious and genuinely interested.

Similar to the Hikerswool Video, I take a strip and weave it in and out of my toes, finishing with a swathe across the top and then underneath. I have also handed pieces to grateful pilgrims who suffered sore heels and they have placed a piece over the vulnerable area.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I picked up the wool in the fields and used it along with everything else. Injinji socks and vaseline. It's the lanolin in the wool which I think is important. Also you can wrap it around your toes for protection. I have a friend who swears by when hiking.

Hi Sophie, wool straight off the animal will be fine. You only need to check it for grass seeds and dirt etc. that may stick into your toes. Only issue may be if the EU has rules about importing untreated animal products.

Note that the woman in the first video ("Original HikersWool") explains that their product is "lightly washed" and "really specially carded" so that it keeps most of the lanolin and feels very soft - both useful features.

I've been blister free for most of my adult hiking life but now I have a number of blister prone spots on my toes. I tape several of my toes and that's enough to prevent blisters expect for the smallest toes. I use a large lump of sheep wool and place it so that the small toe is really separated from its neighbour and also extremely cushioned underneath. The sock holds the wool in place. I sometimes remove the wool at rest stops to pull it apart and make it fluffy again. I do the same in the evening. I discard the wool after a few days when it has become too compressed and lumpy. A godsend for the kind of problem I've developed with my pinky toes.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A previous poster responded with this link which has videos on it's use: https://www.hikerswool.co.nz/

I collect it off fences etc when walking - if needed i use it straight away - worse a blister than a bit of dirt (even sheep poo!) Otherwise i pop it into one of those mesh laundry bags and put it on a 'wool' wash, it comes out nice and clean (obviously use a natural washing powder -Ecover...) Dry it and keep in my medical kit - one in my pannier, one in my rucksack, one in the camper, one in the house, one for spare....:rolleyes::)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Weavers always have the most beautiful soft supple skin on their hands, from the lanolin in the wool. Essentially a blister is a deep friction burn and shows itself early by giving a 'hot spot' ... a part of the foot feels 'hot' and painful in a very small area ... if one pads that area straight away the friction is removed so the blister does not form. (Double skin socks 'anti-blister' socks, are designed to work this way, the inner sock stays on the skin and the outer slides - so no friction).

Anything soft and flexible that acts as a barrier between the hot spot and the footwear will do the job, a plaster (band-aid) will do it fine, but lambswool is not only reusable but is full of lanolin so not only acts as that barrier but gentles the skin at the same time - so the original question is answered easily - use the lambswool to cover where the hotspot is - though can be tricky keeping it in place whilst putting the sock back on.
Very difficult to use a plaster on certain areas - between toes, the creases under toes where they meet the foot, and lambswool is superb in these areas, not only the lanolin and padding but it stays 'bouncy', doesn't flatten out much ... though, cotton wool has almost the same effect, especially if skin cream is put on first.

The best lambswool is that taken off a fence (or a sheep ;)) as it has the highest lanolin content - unfortunately it isn't clean so it should never be placed against broken skin or blisters that may burst, for obvious reasons (infection).

Re blisters between or just under toes - it isn't the feet at fault but the footwear, it is too narrow and from my experience happens mainly with females (and young men wearing cheap narrow trainers) ... I do so wish women with normal width feet would not buy 'women's' footwear .. apart from the ghastly pink and mauve stripes they are too narrow - so forget male or female footwear and go for the one that has a wide toe box if you have medium to wide feet .. so, where was I? ... ah, if you are out there and cannot replace footwear and are having problems with blisters in between toes treat the feet first but then remove the laces and then re-lace but leaving the first one or two sets of holes empty, no laces, the footwear will still lace up well but the front of the footwear will flex more openly, widely, giving more room in the toe box and this can remove the problem in many cases.

Buen Camino!

and follow David's directions for lacing boots anyhow - put your fist in and tie off laces around halfway with a solid knot - then lace upper part for comfort. This way you never oversquash your feet and they have breathing room. Since David told me I have never had a blister!

I collect it off fences etc when walking - if needed i use it straight away - worse a blister than a bit of dirt (even sheep poo!) Otherwise i pop it into one of those mesh laundry bags and put it on a 'wool' wash, it comes out nice and clean (obviously use a natural washing powder -Ecover...) Dry it and keep in my medical kit - one in my pannier, one in my rucksack, one in the camper, one in the house, one for spare....:rolleyes::)
what house? I thought you lived in a shed???!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
and follow David's directions for lacing boots anyhow - put your fist in and tie off laces around halfway with a solid knot - then lace upper part for comfort. This way you never oversquash your feet and they have breathing room. Since David told me I have never had a blister!
I don't understand what you say here: put your fist in and tie off laces halfway with a solid knot. I need a picture!

I don't understand what you say here: put your fist in and tie off laces halfway with a solid knot. I need a picture!

Rather than remove the laces completely from the first holes, what you can do is to really loosen up the laces of the first two sets of holes, ensuring they are properly loose by putting a fist in there and opening the toe box, then, tie half knots at the next set of holes, thread the laces back in from that point, then, you can tighten the laces up but the lower laces below those knots will never tighten - sorry, no pic!

Rather than remove the laces completely from the first holes, what you can do is to really loosen up the laces of the first two sets of holes, ensuring they are properly loose by putting a fist in there and opening the toe box, then, tie half knots at the next set of holes, thread the laces back in from that point, then, you can tighten the laces up but the lower laces below those knots will never tighten - sorry, no pic!
Thanks so much, David! That does give me a clearer idea. I need to get longer laces... maybe I will look for unusual laces. A way of making my shoes a bit more recognisable on a shelf!

I would happily supply anyone willing to cover postage.....wool free to you as fellow-pilgrim :) Just PM me privately with your contact info and I can get an estimate of shipping for you. the wool lives with me in Vancouver Canada (west coast, Fraser Valley to be specific). fondly sandi

Have you thought of putting on an etsy site? If you put in the right search terms, people may find you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@KJFSophie , kia ora from the land where lambs wool is easily available (and where "fleece" means what has just come of the sheep's back)

When starting my training, like many I purchased lambs wool and stuffed it under my (hammer) toes in front.

And as time went by I found my feet getting used to the walking such this (and similar stuff) was helpful.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Recently, I was told by my podiatrist not to wrap the wool completely round a toe. It will contract when damp, and could cause amputation. No, he didn’t add the last bit, but I got the message.

Recently, I was told by my podiatrist not to wrap the wool completely round a toe. It will contract when damp, and could cause amputation. No, he didn’t add the last bit, but I got the message.

Interesting and dramatic! I have been wrapping wool around my toes for years and I never felt any discomfort whatsoever -and I still have all of them ;)

From a completely non-scientific point of view, it seems strange to assume that something would contract when absorbing moisture….

Turga, as I am neither scientific nor logical, whatever I last hear is what I believe. Do you believe me? it did actually make sense to me as he was gesturing and if you imagine it is around your neck... well, anyway. the main thing is, it is a great item to have with you on camino!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.