• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with Photo Info

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
This small ruin (shepherd's hut?) is between the Croix Thibaut and the border crossing into Spain on the Route Napoléon. Today, looking at the photo I noticed a marker stone with a shell and (unreadable) inscription on the right side of the ruin. I've searched but can't find any information.

ruin1.jpg

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Interesting... I did see this hut, the whole area was packed with vultures, but I did not notice that stone in september 1919! When did you take the photo?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used Google maps in satellite mode and picked a location that might have been the hut. Flickr can be used to find their photos near a location. I'm not going further because the pictures are too small for my smartphone but if you see something interesting keep following the links and someone might have included the text in the photo's description.

Apparently you are not the only person who took a photo of this place, because I seem to find it on various places on the internet. Such as:

I think it is at the same place, near Pic de Leizer Atheka. A storm refuge / shepherd's hut. seems plausible to me.

I also can not read the inscription on the marker. But actually I wonder if there is an inscription.
But it seems to me that the stone is much newer than the ruin, and it also has very straight lines. So maybe it was just placed there in more recent times.

The marker stone was also photographed in 2006 by a Dutch pilgrim, so has at least been there since then.

Just my two cents..

Last edited:
Thank you @Rick of Rick and Peg and @Marc S. !! Yes, I'm very clear as to the location of the hut - it's really the significance of the marker that I'm trying to find info about. I tried blowing up the original image a bit and there seems to be numbers left of the shell - possibly 2004. I agree, it does look much newer than the hut... perhaps it was just made by someone practicing their stone masonry and modern petroglyph skills :)

marker.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found another photo on which I can actually read the inscription (and it really seems to be the same hut). It says 'Aterbea 2002'.

Aterbea (or Atherbea) - I think - is the Baskish word for shelter.

(It is hard to imagine though that this shelter was built in 2002).

Last edited:
All these mysteries of the Way ☺️ ... I am reminded of the Croix Thibaut. For years I wondered about its purpose and how it got there. Finally I learnt that it was erected in honour of the Holy Year 1993, and, but my memory is very vague here, by someone from the area who walked in that year. I could imagine that this stone has a similar background.

Or maybe 2002 was the year when the shelter was cleaned and restored. The roof tiles look new.

Here is a clearer image:

Aterbea 2002.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Inscription solved!
For what it’s worth, the plot of land on which this old shepherd’s shelter sits includes also the Croix Thibault (I can never remember the exact spelling) and a newer monument near it that we had discussed earlier (correction: could be on a neighbouring plot). So perhaps the land owners like putting up memorials to the Chemin de Compostelle. But this is guesswork.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.