• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with planning my July walk!

toastrecon

Hello everyone!

I've been reading with great interest all the discussions and information and would love some feedback on my plans.

Currently, I intend on landing in the UK from Australia on June 11 to begin my big 8 month trip through Europe. I'd plan to spend some about 3-4 weeks in both the UK and France (very brief I know!) before coming down to Spain to embark on the Camino.

I'm aware that its a holy year, high summer, peak period and I'll be taking the most popular and probably overloaded route, however I don't really see many other ways to fit it in otherwise! Of my travel time, I think I'm only going to be able to allocate 2-3 weeks (due to other travel commitments) to the walk - so, my first question is:

Would I be better off starting the walk from Burgos or Leon? Elsewhere?

Should I try to make it to Santiago de Compostella on the July 25 feastday (would I even make it in time)? I know its going to be pretty crazy and I've been thinking long about it - on one hand, I'd love the serenity and contemplation of the solitary walk but it'd be a pretty amazing experience to be involved on a holy feast day!

Getting from France (Paris) to Spain - are Eurail passes advisable, or would I be better of using point to point tickets and using a (10 day, 2 month) Eurail pass from Santiago to the rest of Spain and onwards into Italy?

I've got to be in the Netherlands by September for University exchange - so Between June and September I'd like to visit the UK, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece and Istanbul!

edit: Just noticed in my lonely planet book that the running of the bulls starts on July 7 in Pamplona! Perhaps I will visit there for the first day (to observe, due to a slight allergy to raging bulls) before taking a bus/train to Burgos and then walk/bus to Leon, depending on recommendations!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If it was me, and I was going to walk in the heat of the year, I'd either stick to Galicia or consider walking the coastal route, where I could dip in the ocean if it got too hot! Also, the coastal route won't be as crowded, and it is beautiful!

Anniesantiago said:
If it was me, and I was going to walk in the heat of the year, I'd either stick to Galicia or consider walking the coastal route, where I could dip in the ocean if it got too hot! Also, the coastal route won't be as crowded, and it is beautiful!

The coastal route sounds wonderful but information seems to be much scarcer! I note that it is rated to be more difficult - hopefully this won't be too much of a problem!

Would you be able to suggest a good starting point for me then? I will be a little sad to miss the gorgeous cathedrals in Burgos and Leon! Tips on how to get there from France - rail or bus options? Perhaps its possible to go from France - rail/bus to Burgos, Leon, then up to wherever for the Northern pass?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Companeros,

An alternative I'm considering is perhaps doing the walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles given the positive things people have to say about this section of the walk.

From Roncesvalles, are there any transport services to Burgos? I'd like to visit the city and explore a bit, before taking the bus again to Leon at which point I'll start walking.

I'm still very open to the idea of taking the Northern Route, though would still appreciate suggestions for a good starting point (and how to get there!)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back