• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with Roncesvalles

• Thread starter Deleted member 59555
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59555

I never thought I would be saying this. But here goes I am going back to show my wife the highlights of where I have been on the Camino. We will be in St jean about the 3/4th May then get to Roncesvalles the next day to show her the monastery then do about five more highlights along the Camino route. ( Please don't judge me):). My wife is no walker but I do want to share some of the places with her.
The problem I am having trouble getting accommodation in the form of double room in Roncesvalles or any bed!. Maybe move on to Espinal. Maybe transport to Roncesvalles then on to Espinal an hour later I was just going to wing it but I am getting nervous is there accommodation in Roncesvalles that does not show on the internet? Is there locale taxies to Espinal.
What do you think team?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Casa Sabina

La Posada

Hotel Roncesvalles

Casa Beneficiados

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In addition to @trecile's post: the online presence and online booking options of these three hotels in Roncesvalles (Posada, Sabina and Hotel Roncesvalles/Casa Beneficados) who all belong to the same owner seem to be a bit haphazard or in disarray. It appears that you can actually book La Posada on their website for the beginning of May but on the website of Casa Sabina it says "To book rooms at Casa Sabina and La Posada de Roncesvalles, our telephone number 34 948 79 03 22". Contact any of them by phone or through the contact email on their website.

Roncesvalles is served by taxis and there is a small tourist office in Roncesvalles (in the old mill). There will be a high demand for rooms at the beginning of May. Some of the places that are further away may even arrange transport from and to Roncesvalles for you. I know for certain that Hotel Akerreta had this offer in the past.

Last edited:
I never thought I would be saying this. But here goes I am going back to show my wife the highlights of where I have been on the Camino. We will be in St jean about the 3/4th May then get to Roncesvalles the next day to show her the monastery then do about five more highlights along the Camino route. ( Please don't judge me):). My wife is no walker but I do want to share some of the places with her.
The problem I am having trouble getting accommodation in the form of double room in Roncesvalles or any bed!. Maybe move on to Espinal. Maybe transport to Roncesvalles then on to Espinal an hour later I was just going to wing it but I am getting nervous is there accommodation in Roncesvalles that does not show on the internet? Is there locale taxies to Espinal.
What do you think team?

@Terry W if you're looking at Booking.com they don't have anything available for that weekend (it's a holiday weekend in Spain and France) - but I have found that booking direct with the hotels there is much more successful. I think they each only place a small proportion of their rooms with Booking.com. If you want to move on to Espinal et al you can, but if you were really hoping to stay in Roncesvalles I would definitely try booking direct first - the links in @trecile's post above will get you there, and I'll also list the direct links for each of the three places below. As it is a very busy weekend in both Spain and France it is possible you may find everything already booked, but as it's the Friday which is the public holiday, by Sunday/Monday there should be a few more spaces free.

La Posada: http://laposada.roncesvalles.es/

Casa Sabina: http://casasabina.roncesvalles.es/ (you may need to phone for this one, as @Kathar1na says.

Hotel Roncesvalles: http://www.hotelroncesvalles.com/

This is a lovely thing you are planning for your wife. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could also look at Burguete, only four or so kms past Roncesvalles. If you’re interested in the Hemingway thing, he stayed in the Hostal Burguete, and there was still some memorabilia there. It’s a few years since I was there but it was a comfortable, well-run, small hotel. There’s other accommodation in the town, which is a pleasant place.

This is a nice idea on your part, good luck with everything.

What do you think team?
I think what you are doing is great! My wife is no walker either. When new people find out that I have walked 5 times and will continue to they next question to me or she and I is have you walked Silvia? Her answer is when they have 4 Season Hotels in each town and I can take a taxi to the next town after my lunch and most importantly when my husband can afford to put me in a 4 Seasons every night than I will walk. That isn't ever happening so I will never walk. She sometimes throws in the part that the idea of sleeping in an albergue is about the most frightening thing she could ever do and that will never happen.
But I would love to take her and show her some of my most favorite places along the CF, Norte, Finistere, Le Puy and Portuguese Caminos hahaha, I guess it would take a while and maybe I can't afford that trip!!!;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
During our camino last fall, my wife and I stayed at Hotel Roncesvalles in a private room with private bath. The room had an upstairs balcony, large bedroom, and bathroom that was like a resort spa. We're hiking the camino again this fall and already have a reservation. A private room for two is 92 euros excluding breakfast. A bit pricey, but a wonderful treat after a challenging walk in the Pyrenees. Our contact at Hotel Roncesvalles is Amaia and the email address is hotel@roncesvalles.es. Bob

I like your project....I am in a quite similar situation, and have been considering something similar for some time.
Even if your wife is no walker, I guess she would enjoy a short hike, for example fron Roncesvalles to Burguete through the Bosque de las Brujas (Witches' forest), just 4 km, it is a great place, with a history half interesting, half sad. I saw also many other routes around Roncesvalles, as the Ruta de los Canónigos; or the also short (2 km) to Ibañeta chapel, which is part of the Camino.

You have chosen a busy time, make sure to book soon...
I too have a deal with my midwife spouse..
I choose good spots and we stay for a week.
Have fun, be sure to take your time...
Buen Camino and happy Cortado...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A lovely idea, good luck with your accommodation. We stayed in Hotel Roncesvalles and it was very nice. Good food in the restaurant downstairs too.

I am curious - ok - I am nosey - what are the other 5 highlights and how did you possibly keep it just to 5? :)

I think I would like to drive it one day and spend more time at the special/significant places along the way

Camping Urrobi. Google them. They have chalets and dorm rooms also.
A couple of ks after Burgette along the main road.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
What do you think team?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try Booking.com, I have reservations for two nights at Roncevalles hotel..and one night at the Refuge for the first night and the other two nights after, at the hotel... Seems every thing is booking up fast..many reservations I wanted to make have already been booked...I will be there about the same time.. Try the website also...

A lovely idea, good luck with your accommodation. We stayed in Hotel Roncesvalles and it was very nice. Good food in the restaurant downstairs too.

I am curious - ok - I am nosey - what are the other 5 highlights and how did you possibly keep it just to 5? :)

I think I would like to drive it one day and spend more time at the special/significant places along the way
Hi Nosey:)/Gumba. You have a very good point. We all have different focus's on the Camino for me it was the places that effected me Like St Jean.... the Monastery at Rosecvalles then Losarcos where I and another chap got mixed up with with a bull run ( read the book). Then there is the Cathedral at Burgos . After that I will find one of those very small villages with about 200 people in them. Then Rabanal and Leone and on to Santiago.
I don't wish to push my book onto people but it will tell you what I got from the Camino. If you look at my past posts under (The addiction of the Camino) you will be able to get the book title and where you can get it.
Thank you for you nice comments and thank you to all people that have commented.
God bless you all.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back