• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with Sarria to Santiago with a 10 year old.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Sarria to Santiago (June 2017)
Hello,

I have lurked here for months readying for our Camino and thank you all for your generous posts and comments that have helped far more people than you know beyond the original poster.

I, a single mom, have 10 days to walk from Sarria to Santiago with my 10 year old daughter. From your previous guidance, I have booked my first two nights in Sarria at a rural B&B and have spoken to the host family to make sure we can arrive at 11pm (after 17 hours of flying LAX-PARIS-MADRID-SANTIAGO). So we are staying an extra day in Sarria to refresh and adjust. That has us starting our Camino on Saturday - June 17th. We made a reservation for the Parador de Santiago (also from your recommendations) on June 27th. That gives us 10 days to walk the Camino to arrive on the 27th.

I found a site that has a 10 day (9 night) walk for seniors from Australia/NZ and have been using that guide as a template, however I already know my 10 year old daughter will not be able to make some of these distances.

Although I know these questions are probably repetitive to the seasoned, I would dearly love any help on these two: 1) What would be the best days to break up based on degree of difficulty from your experience? 2) Where do you recommend I best stay for privacy each night with a 10 year old child? I do think we will need to stay in hostals/B&Bs that have a private room/bathroom.

Walking the Camino has been a bucket list item of mine for over a decade. I hope to create a memory that will last a lifetime with my daughter. I have been training by walking between 6 to 10 miles a day in Griffith Park/LA which is up/down hills not flat. But she is not able to handle the same distances as I am so I have to accommodate for her - probably closer to 6-8 miles if possible.

The itinerary I found was broken down like this: DAY 1) Sarria to Morgade (8 miles). DAY 2) Morgade to Portomarin (5.5) DAY 3)Portomarin to Ventas de Naron (8). DAY 4) Ventas de Naron to Palas de Rei (7.45) DAY 5) Palas de Rei to Melide (9.3) DAY 6) Melide to Arzua (8.6) DAY 7) Arzua to Pedrouzo (11.8) DAY 8) Pedrouzo to Santiago (12). That gives us 2 extra days to split up as Day 9 and Day 10 (when we arrive in Santiago). Just eyeballing this, Day 7 and 8 are too long. But I have no idea what the terrain is like for those.

Any recommendations or readjustments are all appreciated. Thank you and Buon Camino! (Also, we have our credential/clam shells/passport covers and even a Camino beanie already sent to us from Ivar's store!) x

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sarria to Santiago is a bit less strenuous than Griffith Park trails. I never walked them, but was just at GP, two weeks ago with little eight-year-old female cousin who said she'd walked GP trail bottom to top. If you and daughter can manage GP, S-to-S will be okay. Fauna and foliage in Spain is quite like here in L.A. I'd suggest albergues, but the male pilgrim may often be scantily clad. So, yes private hostels, casa rurales, or private albergues might better suit. Buen camino.

Day 7 is all hills that may be challenging for a 10 yr old, with Trails that can get muddy if it has rained. You might consider stopping at Castañeda ot Ribadiso de Baixo.
Day 8 starts with a challenging hill - then levels out. You might push on to Salceda if you did not stay at Arzúa.
Pedrouzo to Santiago is nit the easiest day, with a tough hill before descending into Santiago. Perhaps make it to Amenal or even Lavacolla.

Cheers and Buen Camino

The itinerary I found was broken down like this: DAY 1) Sarria to Morgade (8 miles). DAY 2) Morgade to Portomarin (5.5) DAY 3)Portomarin to Ventas de Naron (8). DAY 4) Ventas de Naron to Palas de Rei (7.45) DAY 5) Palas de Rei to Melide (9.3) DAY 6) Melide to Arzua (8.6) DAY 7) Arzua to Pedrouzo (11.8) DAY 8) Pedrouzo to Santiago (12). That gives us 2 extra days to split up as Day 9 and Day 10 (when we arrive in Santiago). Just eyeballing this, Day 7 and 8 are too long. But I have no idea what the terrain is like for those.

Any recommendations or readjustments are all appreciated. Thank you and Buon Camino! (Also, we have our credential/clam shells/passport covers and even a Camino beanie already sent to us from Ivan's store!) x[/QUOTE]

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Katherine,

Sounds like a great idea to walk with your daughter. A couple of thoughts are:

First check the Camino Resources section which you can click on at the top of the page. Here you will find a download for the profiles of the Camino Frances stages so you can then check the ups and downs on the parts you will be walking.

Second consider splitting days 7 and 8. Day 7 just to Salceda (6.5 miles) where you can stay at the Turistico Salceda which has private rooms as well as a small Albergue and does really good food. Then Day 8 to Pedrouzo (5.5 miles). Then your day 8 becomes Day 9 but stop at Monte do Gozo (9.5 miles) where the Polish Albergue has twin bed rooms as well as the albergue and also good food again. Then your Day 10 will be a short walk into Santiago (3 miles) so you can get to the Pilgrim Office for your Compostelas before it gets busy, and then spend a lovely day in the city.

Buen Camino,

Mike

Just want to add that Spain has heaps of marvellous public outdoor swimming pools open from June to September. Even very small towns and big villages have them. If she loves swimming would be worth scoping out which stops have pools. Also a great place for her to hang out with Spanish kids her own age. I think there was a thread on here about that a while back? Does anyone remember?

Last edited:
Last September I walked Sarria to Santiago in 10 days with a four year old. Our stops were different than yours. We stayed in private rooms mostly, some in albergues. I suggest that you not book more than one or two days in advance to maintain flexibility. We found booking.com very useful. Some reservations required a phone call.

In the past I have been walked into the ground by a ten year old girl, so she may do more than you imagine!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My 14 yo son and I walked from Leon to Santiago, and then again when he was 15 from SJPP to Burgos. He buzzed on ahead of me for the most part. He told me afterwards that on the Camino he learned that if he kept walking his feet and legs would stop hurting (ah youth!), and that it didn't matter if he complained, he still had to walk to get where he was going.

Another thought: I am an assistant scoutmaster with boys ages 11-18. Most of the younger boys have not walked anywhere except to their cars or down the hallways in their schools. They complain a lot on the trail-- and they don't seem to realize no one is going to carry their gear or call a taxi. Also many get out of breath quickly and break a sweat. So their bodies are working hard and I have to remember to pace myself to their ability. It's great that you are going on practice walks, so your daughter and you will enjoy the camino. Remember to take breaks and eat chocolate on the way! :)

Also, my son and I stayed at Albergues and there were no problems. There was minimal nudity, people pull on their clothes quickly and turn their backs to everyone else. My son met people from all over the world, and received welcome and encouragement from them. We often shared meals with others; he loved the camaraderie. (There was one group of German guys who gave him a noisy cheer and clapped him on the shoulder when we caught up with them one 25 mile day.) You may meet other families.

Buen camino-

Last edited:
I second the cameraderie found at albergues and do not hesitate in the slightest to stay at them with children.

My experience of walking with kids would suggest they do so much better in Spain than at home, so don't be surprised if she makes those longer distances. And if you do, you can happily spend a couple of extra days in Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I recently walked the Portugese camino with my 12 year old daughter, who walked far longer each day than I thought she would. We had a great experience and are planning to walk the Primitivo together next year. A few tips from our trip.
Involve your daughter in the planning of each day, then they are involved in the trip and quickly get to know what to expect. My daughter (Faith) hates getting up early, but soon realised that this was preferable to walking in the heat of the day, so agreed to early starts. Keep her involved in the process, Faith looked for yellow arrows, and counted them as we went along, posing for photos at key numbers. She counted 1350 arrows between Porto and the Spanish border. Get her to collect the stamps on your credencials, this will create an interest in your progress.
Make friends with fellow walkers. The best part of this was the camaraderie and friendship, we met some lovely people and had great times together. We shared meals at alberges and Faith got a lot of encouragement from fellow pilgrims, she would often walk with other people for short parts of the day. It was April the 1st, so Faith put a clothes peg on my hat brim without my knowledge and giggled every time someone noticed it. This became a joke with our camino friends, and we all took to pranking each other by putting clothes pegs on each others packs.
Keep well fueled with drinks, ice cream and chocolate, this is great for morale, and allows for rests when tired or needing a break. Agreeing to stop at the next cafe is good incentive to push on over the next hill.
Get her a camera, so she can record her trip. Encourage her to pick up a few words of Spanish, and use them, Faith really liked learning new words, and would write down new vocabulary each day. If she saw a sign, she would write it down and google it that evening so she knew what it meant.
Don't be nervous of alberges, the opportunities for meeting other people are great, and she has the chance to make friends with them.
Encourage a desire to make it to Santiago, then celebrate when you get there.
Best of all, enjoy yourselves!

Hi Katherine,

Sounds like a great idea to walk with your daughter. A couple of thoughts are:

First check the Camino Resources section which you can click on at the top of the page. Here you will find a download for the profiles of the Camino Frances stages so you can then check the ups and downs on the parts you will be walking.

Second consider splitting days 7 and 8. Day 7 just to Salceda (6.5 miles) where you can stay at the Turistico Salceda which has private rooms as well as a small Albergue and does really good food. Then Day 8 to Pedrouzo (5.5 miles). Then your day 8 becomes Day 9 but stop at Monte do Gozo (9.5 miles) where the Polish Albergue has twin bed rooms as well as the albergue and also good food again. Then your Day 10 will be a short walk into Santiago (3 miles) so you can get to the Pilgrim Office for your Compostelas before it gets busy, and then spend a lovely day in the city.

Buen Camino,

Mike
I second the Polish albergue choice at Monte de Gozo. Good meal choices in their restaurant - open afternoon and evening. Pleasant grounds and as mentioned excellent rooms for 2 en suite. Be warned, they do not open for breakfast but you can stop for that on the easy walk into Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First, I want to tell you how emotional it was to wakeup and see so many kind responses. It feels as if my Camino has already started. In fact when I was doing my hikes up to 11 miles a day I thought my Camino has already started then too as I found such an inner peace. It was often in complete solitude during the week even though I was still in Los Angeles and could see the Hollywood sign.

My daughter is not a great hiker or athlete and often complains when we hike. Funny how she can walk an entire day at Disneyland though. So the challenge will be to keep her from dragging down my energy but even that experience will be a part of the Camino. The comments above helped so much. I read them to her and now we will include a bathing suit for the pools and tons of chocolate. am going to try to draft a different route using the recommendations above with days 7 and 8 etc. Here are a few other quick questions:

1) Can we purchase poles or walking sticks on the way. The metal poles must be checked in and we have tight connections so only carry on for our backpacks.

2) Been reading about cash needs. Did you find 200 euros enough until next available ATM?

3) I was not going to bring any skirt/dress but just read women should for entry into some churches?

1) Can we purchase poles or walking sticks on the way. The metal poles must be checked in and we have tight connections so only carry on for our backpacks.

2) Been reading about cash needs. Did you find 200 euros enough until next available ATM?

3) I was not going to bring any skirt/dress but just read women should for entry into some churches?

1) Sarria is THE major starting point - you can buy there any- and everything the pilgrim needs ;-)

2) Plenty, Sarria has ATMs and the next one you will come across is in Portomarin.

3) Nops, churches on the Camino are very well used to women in trousers.

Buen Camino, SY

Hello,

Here is my Camino de Santiago Itinerary generated using the Camino Pilgrim Android App, Ver 1.8.3:

Day 1: Sat, 6/17/17 Sarria -- Morgade, Lugo (7.5 miles)
Day 2: Sun, 6/18/17 Morgade, Lugo -- Portomarín (6.5 miles)
Day 3: Mon, 6/19/17 Portomarín -- Ventas de Narón (8.3 miles)
Day 4: Tue, 6/20/17 Ventas de Narón -- Palas de Rei (7.3 miles)
Day 5: Wed, 6/21/17 Palas de Rei -- Melide (9.3 miles)
Day 6: Thu, 6/22/17 Melide -- Ribadiso da Baixo (6.9 miles)
Day 7: Fri, 6/23/17 Ribadiso da Baixo -- Salceda (8.8 miles)
Day 8: Sat, 6/24/17 Salceda -- O Pedrouzo (5.0 miles)
Day 9: Sun, 6/25/17 O Pedrouzo -- A Lavacolla (5.9 miles)
Day 10: Mon, 6/26/17 A Lavacolla -- Monte del Gozo (3.5 miles)
Day 11: Tue, 6/27/17 Monte del Gozo -- Santiago de Compostela (3.0 miles)
Day 12: Wed, 6/28/17 Santiago de Compostela -- Santiago de Compostela (0.0 miles)

----------------------

Buen Camino!

Brought to you by the Camino Pilgrim App

Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

I hope this works. Here is the new schedule based on the above. Does this better? Also we have the one hotel reserved on the 27th so arriving that day.

Camino Pilgrim App Website:
http://www.caminopilgrimapp.blogspot.com

Blog Website:
http://www.pinaypilgrim.blogspot.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your daughter will make friends that will carry the day for her. Do not under estimate a 10 year old. Once she sees that she is accepted as part of a group of Big People she will join and sometimes show us up. When you know your daily distance ship your bags...... Ultreya........ Willy/Utah/USA

I second the cameraderie found at albergues and do not hesitate in the slightest to stay at them with children.

My experience of walking with kids would suggest they do so much better in Spain than at home, so don't be surprised if she makes those longer distances. And if you do, you can happily spend a couple of extra days in Santiago.
I was hoping you would chime in since your kids, of all ages, are Camino rock stars. A 10 year old not wanting to walk more than 10km a day makes me wonder of it's "able" or "willing". o_O

I was hoping you would chime in since your kids, of all ages, are Camino rock stars. A 10 year old not wanting to walk more than 10km a day makes me wonder of it's "able" or "willing". o_O
I remember one rare day in Spain our youngest son was doing a passive-aggressive walk incredibly slowly. We just told him he was welcome to walk at his own pace and we would walk at ours and we'd wait for him at the next bar. We didn't get too far ahead because the lure of a chocolate pastry was too great!
Other not so rare times with a younger child (six years), one of us would sit at the side of the road/path/trail until she was ready to walk willingly - we were not walking with her grumbling, scuffing her shoes or stomping.
I share these experiences so you will be aware it's not all sun and roses when walking with kids.
But I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
One question that I can't find mentioned here is: What does the ten year old actually think about walking the Camino? Buen camino, SY
This is a really important question.
But even if she's ambivalent or outright anti, I have found adult enthusiasm tends to be contagious to kids at this age. Showing her blogs of other kids that have done this might help. If you are willing for her not to go, then giving the choice might help her own the experience more - "you get to do this if you want" rather than "you have to do this even if I drag you the whole way".
*You* know what the camino is about, does she?

One question that I can't find mentioned here is: What does the ten year old actually think about walking the Camino? Buen camino, SY

I often think about this question, in relation to my own enthuasim for taking my son to walk the camino, in some form, in the next few years. I know I'm keen, just not sure whether it will be his cup of tea or not... only one way to find out, I suppose. And as @Kiwi-family says, I'm sure adult enthusiasm goes along way in generating enthusiasm in kids... My own worry is that if he hates it, it may well put him off entirely.

In 2015 I walked with my two sons, ages 10 and 13. We walked from Barbadelo to Santiago. My 10yr. old had a difficult time. It wasn't easy for me either. We are a pretty active family and we did practice long walks. The longest stretches for all of us were Portomarin to Palas de Rei and from O pedrouzo to Santiago. We could handle 8 miles to 10 miles. I think 12 miles was just too much for my 10 yr. old. We are walking again this year from Ourense to Santiago. We are walking @ 10 miles a day with one day being 12 miles. My boys are now 12 and 15yrs. old.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I often think about this question, in relation to my own enthuasim for taking my son to walk the camino, in some form, in the next few years. I know I'm keen, just not sure whether it will be his cup of tea or not... only one way to find out, I suppose. And as @Kiwi-family says, I'm sure adult enthusiasm goes along way in generating enthusiasm in kids... My own worry is that if he hates it, it may well put him off entirely.
Listen, it can't be any worse than signing them up for summer camp for the first time. Except that you will be on the constant recwiving end of their lovely humour and not the poor 17 year old councellor in training. Plus, they get to be theIr mummy and/or daddy, so why whine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ways to find out:
1) just go to Spain and walk
2) take hiking trips at home
3) investigate Spain/ Spanish history, art, architecture, food etc
4) watch camino movies
5) talk about it, ask questions, wonder aloud, pique interest
6) do a short camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many parents underestimate their children. I started multiple days backpacking when my children were young each around 4 years old. Sure they complained but so did I sometimes (and not about them). We limited our walking time to that of the slowest in the group. We played games and sometimes we didn't to our days scheduled destination. When my wife and I walked The Camino last year, the same thing. We trained up to 18 to 20 miles a day here. Walking the Camino we couldn't maintain that pace and usually walked maximum 16 miles days. Have fun with your daughter it will be a bonding time both both you and she will never forget.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I just looked at our old credenciales. Sarria to Santiago took 6 days with our 8-year-old.

I think involving the kid in the day-to-day planning, walking along with other people, and letting her be in charge of getting as many stamps in the credencial as possible will make her walk much longer distances than any of you believe now.

These are all so wonderful and truly appreciated. As I slowed down the Camino days to arrive in Santiago the night we had a reservation at the very special surprise (and can only afford one night there to splurge) should we still try to get to Santiago faster and spend one night at a pilgrim spot? Would you prefer 2 days in Santiago rather than a slower walk with one day? I wonder if wisdom is best as above. Go as far as she can each day and don't book anything in advance so we are flexible but don't stop early if she can keep moving? We have only booked Sarria and Santiago and Madrid airport the night before long flight home.

... and the street music, the street artists, pigeons to chase, crowds to get lost in, ...
Buen Camino, SY

Can we purchase poles or walking sticks on the way. The metal poles must be checked in and we have tight connections so only carry on for our backpacks.
When you first arrive in Santiago you might be able to pick up some treking poles left behind by other pilgrims and then return them when done. Check with Nate and Faith (@natefaith here on the forum) at the Pilgrim House Welcome Center or you may be able to get some loaner poles from the Pilgrim’s reception office.

The botafumeiro might not be in use at the cathedral when you finish your pilgrimage so visit the cathedral when you first arrive in Santiago too.

Buen camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When you first arrive in Santiago you might be able to pick up some treking poles left behind by other pilgrims and then return them when done. Check with Nate and Faith (@natefaith here on the forum) at the Pilgrim House Welcome Center or you may be able to get some loaner poles from the Pilgrim’s reception office.

The botafumeiro might not be in use at the cathedral when you finish your pilgrimage so visit the cathedral when you first arrive in Santiago too.

Buen camino.

Yes! We have a bin of trekking poles left by other pilgrims that you're welcome to look through. Thanks, Rick, for sharing our info :)

That is such good news to hear about the pilgrims office since they won't allow poles as any carry on. And you all pegged it. She wants to see the botafumeiro as we have watched The Way twice to prepare her and indeed her eyes lit up. I have warned her it is only on Fridays but we will still go to 12 noon mass just in case. I first heard of the Camino from Shirley MacLaine who starred in a movie I wrote and she gave me a signed book about her experience but Mommy talking about work is not at all interesting to the child. Large swinging silver items are!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And you all pegged it. She wants to see the botafumeiro as we have watched The Way twice to prepare her and indeed her eyes lit up.
I would see the botafumeiro in clips on travel shows and I was fascinated by it. I didn't know where it was though until I saw The Way.

Maybe there is a mother/daughter film in the works? Who's Sarria Now? :rolleyes:

Quick question. I contacted Jose at a Taxi service in Santiago that was recommended on the forums. To pick us up at the airport in Santiago and drive us to Sarria is a flat fee of 135 € incl taxes. We don't arrive until 930pm after 17 hours so will be glad to have transport organized but wanted to ask if this is the going rate? Taking a bus would just kill me at that point so splurging here and in Santiago the final night.

Last edited:
I have warned her it is only on Fridays but we will still go to 12 noon mass just in case.
It flies almost every day, if not many times a day. As long as someone pays for it. I would be very surprised you don't get to see it, unless you are jist spending a couple of hours in Santiago. Pop your head in before mass: if the ropes are down, it will fly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Quick question. I contacted Jose at a Taxi service in Santiago hat was recommended on the forums. To pick us up at the airport in Santiago and drive us to Sarria is a flat fee of 135 € incl taxes. We don't arrive until 930pm after 17 hours so will be glad to have transport organized but wanted to ask if this is the going rate? Taking a bus would just kill me at that point so splurging here and in Santiago the final night.
It is bit above the going rate. I got it for 100€. Evening or weekend premiums could raise the fare.

... She wants to see the botafumeiro as we have watched The Way twice to prepare her and indeed her eyes lit up. I have warned her it is only on Fridays but we will still go to 12 noon mass just in case. ...

It used to be every Friday evening as the 'chamber of commerce' here paid for it, but now the only times you can be sure to see the botafumeiro are the once listed here: http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/en/node/482

There was an announcement some months ago that a private person had offered to pay regularly for the 'Friday Botafumeiro' but I couldn't find out yet if that worked out. However, I will go to the English mass at 10:00 today and will ask.

However, as we are main pilgrim season, chances are good that (a group of) pilgrims have paid the fee and it might fly at the pilgrims mass at 12:00. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've not read all the responses, though your potential itinerary looks pretty good. However, if you want to shave off a few km, you don't actually have to start at Sarria. Barbadelo is a perfectly acceptable starting point (my daughter started from there) and Morgade just qualifies as being within the 100km. Casa Barbadelo is a really nice albergue, with some private rooms, a good restaurant and a swiming pool.

Sarria to Santiago is a bit less strenuous than Griffith Park trails. I never walked them, but was just at GP, two weeks ago with little eight-year-old female cousin who said she'd walked GP trail bottom to top. If you and daughter can manage GP, S-to-S will be okay. Fauna and foliage in Spain is quite like here in L.A. I'd suggest albergues, but the male pilgrim may often be scantily clad. So, yes private hostels, casa rurales, or private albergues might better suit. Buen camino.

I think that fauna and foliage must be quite different in Galicia and LA. Your daughter will see many cows , some sheep and horses on the prairies and will hear the coqs and birds singing (*). Also she will walk through oak and eucaliptus forests. No mention to the houses style that is quite different.
I think that differences will be quite interesting for her al least the first two days.

(*)Birds sing or not depending on the amount of people on the Camino

I think that fauna and foliage must be quite different in Galicia and LA. Your daughter will see many cows , some sheep and horses on the prairies and will hear the coqs and birds singing (*). Also she will walk through oak and eucaliptus forests. No mention to the houses style that is quite different.
I think that differences will be quite interesting for her al least the first two days.

(*)Birds sing or not depending on the amount of people on the Camino

Easter 2017, I drove LA to San Francisco, I drove past cows, vineyards, horses, beautiful green pastures right along highway. Chatterbox, the bird which lives in next door neighbor's Palm tree never shuts up. Wildlife is in abundance in Los Angeles. Coyotes reside in hilly neighborhoods, right alongside the people. I actually feel safer walking in Spain than some trails in and around LA, where every few years, a mountain lion kills a biker or hiker. I found the similarities between California and Spain quite illuminating. Especially walking from meseta to Galicia. Southern Cal, LA is quite brown in summer, whereas Northern, Ca is far greener. Buen camino.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,

I have lurked here for months readying for our Camino and thank you all for your generous posts and comments that have helped far more people than you know beyond the original poster.

I, a single mom, have 10 days to walk from Sarria to Santiago with my 10 year old daughter. From your previous guidance, I have booked my first two nights in Sarria at a rural B&B and have spoken to the host family to make sure we can arrive at 11pm (after 17 hours of flying LAX-PARIS-MADRID-SANTIAGO). So we are staying an extra day in Sarria to refresh and adjust. That has us starting our Camino on Saturday - June 17th. We made a reservation for the Parador de Santiago (also from your recommendations) on June 27th. That gives us 10 days to walk the Camino to arrive on the 27th.

I found a site that has a 10 day (9 night) walk for seniors from Australia/NZ and have been using that guide as a template, however I already know my 10 year old daughter will not be able to make some of these distances.

Although I know these questions are probably repetitive to the seasoned, I would dearly love any help on these two: 1) What would be the best days to break up based on degree of difficulty from your experience? 2) Where do you recommend I best stay for privacy each night with a 10 year old child? I do think we will need to stay in hostals/B&Bs that have a private room/bathroom.

Walking the Camino has been a bucket list item of mine for over a decade. I hope to create a memory that will last a lifetime with my daughter. I have been training by walking between 6 to 10 miles a day in Griffith Park/LA which is up/down hills not flat. But she is not able to handle the same distances as I am so I have to accommodate for her - probably closer to 6-8 miles if possible.

Any recommendations or readjustments are all appreciated. Thank you and Buon Camino! (Also, we have our credential/clam shells/passport covers and even a Camino beanie already sent to us from Ivar's store!) x

It will be a great experience you and your 10 yo will never forget and, in a way, get the two of you closer. I started my Camino in 2014 with my 11 yo son in SJPDP. we are doing a piece every year. He is now 14 yo and we are going back for our last piece, from Villafranca del Bierzo, all the way to Finisterra. Just remember that it is not a race and that you will be carrying most of her stuff in your backpack. I remember that first year. My son had a pair of shoes, a soccer ball, a toblerone and a Kas in his backpack. I carried the rest. Albergues are fine.

The soccer ball in the backpack has become a great source of laughter here. Hers is the pillow pet which tales up a third of her backpack.

I have read these responses again and again. We leave on Wed and I find I am both thrilled and a bit nervous too as I have no idea what to expect and have the added responsibility of a child.

I have attempted to download the Favorite Alburgues on the C.F. from resources and continue to receive an error message no permission to write, abort. Any other way to get it? I am logged in.

Last edited:
Thank you. I got it by accessing the link inside the notification email! Strange!

Last edited:
One thing to add for anyone walking with kids. If you are looking for additional ways to keep them interested and moving along, try Geocaching! It's a really fun world wide game. Kids love it. Lots of caches along tbe Camino. There's an app so you can use your phone (no additional equipment to carry). Strongly recommend you practice at home if you plan on caching on the Camino. You can PM me if you want more details.

Hi there. We are big Geocachers! Our name is KatandMads. We has a cache in LA called Thank You and we filled it with new toys and gift cards to Starbucks as our way to give back to cachers for all their hard work. I just told her about the caches on the Camino and she lit up. She seems more excited now having heard all the comments about other kids on the way. The one obstacle in her head is hiking/walking as she is a bit anti sports and is born to a mom who loves hiking and sports so there you go. Able but not always willing (as above, two words I continue to say now TY!)

Also, I noticed the loaner poles at pilgrim house are in Santiago. We arrive late and they will be closed. We have a taxi driving us to Sarria that night so we won't be able to look thru the bin. Is there a shop in Sarria or another pilgrim bin with poles left behind? I would imagine most will still have theirs in Sarria. If nothing more we will leave ours in Santiago is well. But at the end of the route seems less available to pilgrims who need them. Maybe that is a good gift of kindness to be the one who transports them back to Sarria or farther?

Lastly again. With our route above. Any suggestions in or near those stops to stay. We have all the books and PDF now of suggestions, but their are many, so if one stands out for kids with a pool or cool setting (farm, animals, old buildings) and perhaps chance for private room with private bathroom? Please let me know and I will add it.

€83,-
I am a big advocate of using hiking poles, BUT for the section from Sarria I wouldn't bother, especially if you are not used to them. Your anticipated distances are modest and the trail is not demanding. It will be one less thing to think about.
I would leave the pillow pet at home too. Let her carry all her clothes instead (and a tennis ball and pack of cards if she is so inclined - and definitely a journal).

But if you do want poles the shop at the bottom of the stairs will provide. Just ask, and you'll be directed to it.

Located at the bottom of the stairs in Sarria THE place for hiking clothes and supplies is Peregrinoteca. Located on the camino at Calle Benigno Quiroga, 16 bajo it has everything any pilgrim could need! See more info in their web.
http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/

In season they are open 7/7
09:00-014:00
16:00-20:30

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello dear friends,

As that is how it feels already. We leave Wednesday. I find myself excited and anxious. Mainly that I am bringing a child which is adding to my responsibility. I looked up the weather and on our first day walking, Saturday, we have 92 degree weather. 87 the second day. This is certainly very hot for an adult much less a child. Leaving early is key, but we will still be pretty jetlagged and getting our bearings. Is the first day walk from Sarria to Morgade/Pena or wherever we land in some shade? Should we stay in Sarria a day or two later and start the walk on Monday and walk longer to make up for it? And lastly, I am breathing. Breathing. As I step into the unknown and out of my comfort zone! Thank you all again for truly making this walk special before I even leave.

I looked up the weather and on our first day walking, Saturday, we have 92 degree weather. 87 the second day. This is certainly very hot for an adult much less a child. Leaving early is key, but we will still be pretty jetlagged and getting our bearings. Is the first day walk from Sarria to Morgade/Pena or wherever we land in some shade? Should we stay in Sarria a day or two later and start the walk on Monday and walk longer to make up for it?
Sarria to Morgade is 10km. You will have covered that by 10 am, and temps won't get much lower even if you wait for them to do so. Unless you are flying from Oz, NZ or LA, you will be just fine on Saturday. In fact, walking that short distance will be a blessing in comparison to staying put in an albergue or pension, asking a child to be good, settle down, etc.

Sarria to Morgade is 10km. You will have covered that by 10 am, and temps won't get much lower even if you wait for them to do so. Unless you are flying from Oz, NZ or LA, you will be just fine on Saturday. In fact, walking that short distance will be a blessing in comparison to staying put in an albergue or pension, asking a child to be good, settle down, etc.
Yes unfortunately we are flying from LA. I have learned from previous jetlagged trips to Europe that we sleep in until noon or 2pm then are up until 2am until we settle. We will have to force the jetlagged period up and so suspect the sounds of people rising and leaving will help motivate... but good point. Perhaps walking is a bit better on her than staying put in one place.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't forget that a good part of your jetlag adjustment will be done on the day you arrive in Europe and make your way to Sarria. Lots of opportunities to nap on the short haul flight, bus and/or train.

Go to bed at "bedtime" - not before and even if you can't sleep. Get up at 7am even if you have to set an alarm. Drink lots of water. Get outside in the sunshine. Walk.
It works a treat.
Coming from NZ the hard part is staying awake the first night. It it is worth the agony.

Hi there. We are big Geocachers! Our name is KatandMads. We has a cache in LA called Thank You and we filled it with new toys and gift cards to Starbucks as our way to give back to cachers for all their hard work. I just told her about the caches on the Camino and she lit up. She seems more excited now having heard all the comments about other kids on the way. The one obstacle in her head is hiking/walking as she is a bit anti sports and is born to a mom who loves hiking and sports so there you go. Able but not always willing (as above, two words I continue to say now TY!)

That's cool that you are already cachers! Good thing, since I think that it would be difficult to learn the game walking the Camino. One thing I wanted to caution you about is that I found that many of the caches that were not in towns were missing. I looked for probably a dozen as I walked, but didn't find one. However, the ones in town are generally well maintained. Just wanted to make sure your daughter (and you!) don't get too frustrated. Also, don't worry about trade items. Most of them are too small for that. In Santiago, look for the caches hidden by O Golpe, in the central part of the old city. They are nicely done. He's a nice guy, as well. Send him a message asking for help, if you can't find one, and he might even show up to show you where it is. Have fun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Katherine,
Hope you will let us know how things are going for the two of you. We saw many families last summer on the Camino between Sarria and Santiago. There were lots of young people and also groups of school children after Sarria.
Janet

Great project !!

You seem to have most of the itinerary sussed out, except perhaps for one thing -- likely, your daughter will surprise both you and herself with exactly how much she will be capable of, except the first days of adjustment I'd imagine, where going slow will be a must -- like many pilgrims before her, she may discover that it's easier to walk longer and further daily towards a specific goal that everyone else is reaching towards than in training, where a quick return home can be quite tempting. But you'll see, and you'll see what degree of enthusiasm she'll have on Camino, and you have anyway taken your precautions for both time and distance.

Others will be more helpful regarding specific places to stay, but the great thing about Sarria to Santiago is that there is an abundance of suitable accommodations to suit your requirements along the way, provided you stick to the principal Camino.

The potential problems you may encounter regarding privacy though is that the final 100K are liable to be rather crowded in June, and so you may need to prepare yourselves for the occasional compromise solution ; though most pilgrims, even in the "100K crowd", quickly learn to provide discretion to others to try as much as possible to respect their privacy (they begin to learn this lesson on their stay in Sarria itself). A degree of genuine privacy is even achievable in some of the communal dormitories, including the less popular ones :p , though of course hardly a majority !!

Buen Camino, and good luck to both of you, peregrinas !!

Hello All. A few notes from the Camino. We are at present at Casa Garea outside of Castaneda on the way to Ribadiso/Stage 32. We have found splitting the book days in half works. That has put us between 7 and 8 miles a day which my daughter has been doing very well. She even quotes a poster here "Don't underestimate a 10 year old." And she says that with great pride. I even learned how to be a better parent and motivate her with that thinking. I have been writing a recap blog post each night with up to 10 photos of our journey and posting it on my Instagram account if you would to see and read it. I am simply @katherinefugate. Last night we learned that John Brierley was in Melide with a BBC crew filming a documentary on the Camino experience and stayed at a brand new pension O Tobo do Lobo where we also stayed. It is run by a professional chef who moved back from London to be near his ailing mother and he opened a pension and restaurant. He was so dear and caring.

The biggest tips now are if you wish to stay in pensions or casa rurales or anything above Alburgues then use Booking.com and book a day or two in advance. We often received the last room. We also found more than expected places including Alburgues saying on Booking.com "we cannot accommodate children," so each afternoon during siesta I ahvd been vooking next one or two days and yesterday did them all as we arrive in Santiago on Saturday. That saved us some headaches. By doing half days we are done walking by 1pm each and have been able to get the double rooms at places like Casa Morgade without a reservation. Each day as we get closer to Santiago the crowds get bigger. We booked The Way pension two days in advance and received the last double room available. I have noticed if you do not walk the book on its intended start and finish stages and instead did his middle to middle as your start to finish each day you would miss the crowds and end up in a midway city with far more available rooms. You also start walking midway on a day when most are starting from the bottom of the stage map and thus your days are emptier. I hope that makes sense but as we are doing half days the night we sleep in a half city starts out the next morning so much quieter. The mornings we start out in a "finish stage" city are crowded. So depending on what you wish your Camino to be. Let me know if I can answer any questions!

I am looking forward to The Way as it will be our longest day and it has the reward of a swimming pool and feels like a community. I haven't had as much community as I wanted as skipping the Alburgues puts us in smaller pensions and less interaction but I also know it is the right choice for my daughter and me. I suspect I will do this again alone...

Also why I have you, looking at our map, our walk leaving Casa Garea to Arzua seems to be the steepest part and then pretty even until The Way. Is that your recollection?

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back