• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help with train/bus timetable in Paris...

Shirin

Hi everyone,

I am from Melbourne (Australia) and I’ve just booked my flight for next month, the 23rd of April. I shall be meaning to arrive in Paris (Charles De Gaulle International Airport) on the 24th at 7:05 AM. I do have some questions and I would really appreciate if I could get some help and advice as to what train/bus I should hop into, and place of recommendation. (And shall I be seeing any of you on that day, am not going to shy away from greeting you! :D )

1: Paris to Biarritz: when does the train depart in Paris to journey to Biarritz?

2: Then, from Biarritz, when is there a bus or train to St Jean Pied de Port? (In fact, I’ve come across that you would have to go to Bayonne first and then from thereon to St Jean?

3: In St Jean, I have a feeling I will be staying a night there…is there a hotel/motel, a place that deserves a recommendation?

Thank you for any response!

Warm regards,

Shirin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Shirin,
Welcome to the forum.
You can pre-book your train with people like http://www.raileurope.com.au/ or through your travel agent. You actually need to get to Bayonne (near Biarritz), I think the train from CDG leaves early in the morning, not sure if you have time to make your connection, if your flight was delayed a bit.
Last time I "trained it" I overnighted and caught the train from Paris (Gare Montparnasse).
Another option I have used is to get the CDG shuttle to Orly (Paris Domestic) and a cheap flight to Biarritz, this can be organized prior to leaving, then a bus or taxi into Bayonne.
The train up tp SJPP leaves from Bayonne.
Buen Camino
Col

The Forum tends to use Biarritz and Bayonne interchangeably. Any train to Biarritz will pass through Bayonne first, which is where you connect to the SJPdP train. If you fly to the Biarritz airport, you will need to take a city bus or a taxi to the train station. A bus goes to SJPdP only when the train is broken, and it will leave from the train station, not the bus "station" across the river.

There are up to five trains a day to SJPdP. The weekday departures are 07h45 10h48 14h55 18h07, but times are different on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and holidays. Check sncf.com for you exact date.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Shirin,

In 2011 I travelled from Canada through Paris CDG to St Jean PDP. I came from a different direction but I also arrived Paris CDG in the morning, 7:40 I believe. Conveniently, there is a train station in the bottom floor of the Paris CDG airport. The route is Paris CDG to Bordeaux to Bayonne to St Jean PDP. The train departed Paris CDG at 10:10, so I had 2.5 hours to make the connection, loads of time to find the station, print the pre-purchased ticket, eat, find the platform.

I ended up staying overnight in Bayonne, caught the train to St Jean the next day and arrived there about 12 noon. Met another peregrino on the train, we had a snack in St Jean and then headed up the hill to Orrisson (reservations required) for the first night on the trail. All was exciting and went smoothly.

Good luck and Buen Camino
Eric

Thank you for all your responses, Col, Falcon and Eric, and welcoming me to the forum :)

I shall be taking your responses into consideration. From here on, I will be weighing and seeing what I feel would work best for me, and what fits/suits. So I will get back and post as to what I might do so as to make sure I am on track

I purchased my train tickets online yesterday…

From the CDG airport to Bordeaux St Jean, departing on the 24th at 8:19 and arriving there at 12:37. A change of trains then journey to Bayonne, departing at 12:48 and arriving there at 14:38. From Bayonne, and still on the 24th, the train departs at 7:45, and arrives at St Jean Pied de Port at 9:04.

Actually, my concern is whether I will be able to make the train once I get off the plane in Paris. So I’m getting off at terminal 1 at 7:05 AM, and that gives me an hour and 14 minutes to catch my 8:19 train (to Bordeaux St Jean).

This aside for now, can anybody recommend a place for me to stay at for the night at St Jean Pied de Port? :D

Thank you all :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Saint-Jean the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle usually stays open for the arrival of the last train. Their
telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from
7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can provide you with a
Credential and lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Thank you very much falcon, I just sent a request, although they are full for the 24th..so I'll see what their response is.

Thank you as well mspath, I really appreciate your response.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You won't have any problems with accommodation in St Jean. As mspath says, the volunteers where you pick up your credencial help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle and they were so helpful, nothing was a problem. Don't worry as they will point you in the right direction.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back