• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I didn't know where to post this.
I'm trying to get information on walking from Barcelona.
I do a search and get 800+ hits, but when I try to go to the postings, I get a screen that tells me it will not complete and will never access the page.
I'm not sure what is happening?
Can someone give me a link to somebody who has notes on walking from Barcelona?
Thanks
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie, Mundicamino has links to two Caminos Catalanes, one from Figueras and another one from Montserrat. Will ask my cousin ( residing in Barcelona ) later about it. He did do some daytrips walking from outside Barca to Girona...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, that camino seems to be growing in popularity, esp. with a start at Montserrat. I have met at least five pilgrims in the past few months who took that path, most of them live in the area and this is how they "start at the front door."

From YOUR CAMINO

Camino Catalán: 470 km from Montserrat to Logroño
The path starts at the Monastery of Montserrat, passes through Igualada, Cervera, Tàrrega, Lleida and Zaragoza on its way to Logroño on the Camino Frances.
It is 470 km from Montserrat to Logroño and a further 612 km to Santiago from there. http://www.camidesantjaumeperatothom.cat

Cami de Sant Jaume: Variante de Huesca y San Juan de la Peña: 238 km
This is a quiet, modern route from Barcelona or Montserrat that goes north-east to Huesca and Tárrega continuing to the Aragones route at at Sta Cilia de Jaca. The pilgrim has an opportunity to climb the steep path to the spectacular mountain monastery of San Juan de la Pena, a stronghold of the ancient Kingdom of Aragon and home of the Holy Grail.
http://www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/
http://www.camisantjaume.com

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That trail to San Juan de Pena from the main road on the way to Sta. Cilia is brutal!
It is straight up and washed out and poorly marked. It's more like rock scrambling and mountain climbing. There were many places were my feet were on the trail and my hands were also on the trail because I was standing nearly straight up, literally climbing. It's a good place to twist an ankle or break an arm. So if anyone plans on taking a side trip to the Monastery, I suggest you stay two nights at Sta Cilia (they will allow it) and walk the main road from there.

I'm not saying don't do it... just be forewarned that it is a difficult trail that has been washed out.

I agree with you Annie - and it is even worse coming down!! You'll get roasties on your bum coming down that trail!

san juan trail

I found the trail impossible-- in 2005 I took the trail up and from Jaca through Artes and found it extremely difficult-- in 2007, the turismo in Jaca told me that it had deteriorated even further. In 2005 I could not do the climb down from San Juan de la Pena to Santa Cruz de los Seros--- I suffer from vertigo and I think that this stretch should be classified as a technical climb-- and I returned to the monastery and then took the road down. In both 2007 and 2009 I simply walked alongside the carretera from Santa Cruz de los Seros to San Juan de la P.

From Santa Cruz de los Seros, there is a trail which turns off to the left through Binacua to Santa Cilia, which I found not too difficult, although quite barren.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just FYI everyone, I asked Ivar to set up a separate Cami Catalan/Cami St. Jaume section -- ask and you shall receive! He moved a couple of the relevant posts over to that section.

I think that these two are technically two different routes, but I hope you'll agree that having them both in the same section makes sense.

One route goes from the monastery at St. Pere de Rodas to Barcelona/Montserrat and then on to Lerida/Lleida. I think that's the Cami St. Jaume: http://www.camidesantjaume.cat/ruta_ing.php#ancla

The Cami Catalan is from Barcelona/Montserrat to Logrono: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... ragoza.htm

So, it looks like a nice route would join the two and go from the northernmost tip of the Spanish mediterranean coast all the way to Logrono, via Lerida and Zaragoza. I've been to St. Pere de Rodas and it is amazing,I would love to walk from there.

Buen camino, Laurie

This route is becoming more interesting to me.
Ive looked at the Mundicamino website and some others.

The problem I see so far is finding lodging between Selgua and Huesca and between Loarre and San Juan de Pena.

Has anyone done this route who can give me information on lodging in those few stages that show none on the Mundicamino map?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back