• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Help

beccawrite

I am in Chicago with my husband (I'm from 'MN) and I panicked and could not get on the plane to Madrid!! I am so freaked out and disappointed! My husband is with me and is so understanding. He said we can just try again today.

I am suddenly panicked about being so far from home. So irrational but so real. I need to know how easy it is to stop walking and go home if I have to! I have been so excited...and yes, a little nervous up til now, but I never expected a panic attack to stop us!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oh Becca all of us get freaked out from time to time. Be kind to yourself and breathe. You will go dear pilgrim when you are ready. Peace be with you

You are able to leave the trail and head home any time, nobody can stop you. There are buses all along the trail that can get you to an exit point and to your return flight, it just may cost you some for the change.

But, have faith. I walked the Camino Frances 2 years ago, to be honest I found the time away from home as daunting at the distance to walk (I have a wife and 5 adult children that I missed very much) but you must take both aspects one day at a time. Don't look at the totals, it will scare you (500 miles!, 30 some days!) just take it one day at a time. The first day you will meet someone who will have the same fears and it will calm your nerves and it won't be long until you get in the groove.

It sounds like you have good support with your husband. One month is a short time in one's life and it will be one that will stay with you forever.

Good luck with your decision.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Talk thru it with your husband and get to the bottom of your sudden apprehension.

If you've been on long vacations before, just remind yourself that it's just another long vacation!

The camino will be perhaps the SAFEST vaca you will ever take...short of hanging out in your own back yard :)

The camino has been around for over 1000 years...it will be there tomorrow too.

Best of luck and Ultreia!

Damian

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

I've sent a prayer up so you'll be ok. It never helps to say it, but honestly once you're up and walking all will be well. Very well. Have faith, resolve, and confidence that your fellow humans will look after you well. Buen Camino!

While total panic is not helpful I would suggest that bit of apprehension is far better than over confidence. Rarely met anyone suffering from the former getting into trouble but the latter....

Trains, buses and taxis are available all along the Camino. Getting home is not a problem.

If you have a bad day try to stop for the day. Instant decisions on the Camino are usually wrong. A day's reflection will tell you whether you really should give up or continue.

Nor do you have to walk to your intended destination for that day. Just walk a short stretch and chill out.

Finally, in 2008 I met up with an English pilgrim on the Camino. I only found later that at the moment that I joined him and got talking to him that he had just decided to give up and go home. Walking with me gave him the courage to continue.

Do not be suprised if other pilgrims turn out to be guardian angels.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Beccawrite:

Be not afraid. Most of us suffer some type of last minute apprehension.

Take a deep breath, get on the plane and work your way to your starting point. Take your first step onto the Camino and it will take care of the rest.

You will never be alone and will learn something along the way about yourself.

Should you find out along the way that this is not your cup of tea (unlikely), there is always a bus, train and plane to take you home. Fellow Pilgrims will also be there to support you no matter what your decision.

I am leaving for Madrid on April 8th from Chicago flying through Newark. If I can be of assistance, please feel free to ask.

Ultreya,
Joe

Becca, one thing to remember is that Spain is not a 3d World Country. In many ways it is much nicer and more modern than the USA. The people are friendly and you are going to have a wonderful experience! Take some deep breaths, and go have fun! I have panic attacks, so I really do understand. But I promise, it will be ok...millions of pilgrims can't be wrong!
Buen Camino.

Write your fears down, first from the apprehensive person and how you feel, the other from a knowledgeable you, responding to those fears with soothing suggestions to overcome them and using common sense. It might help you see it in writing, I think it's a great exercise to conquer your anxiety over flying. Buen Camino Becca! You will not regret it!
Many blessings to you and your husband and may you have peace!

Ultreia!

Mary

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We made it Madrid!! Thank you my fellow pilgrims!! I can't say I'm fear free yet, but the first small step is a HUGE step for me!! I am astounded by your love and support! And, as one dear peregrina reminded me poco y poco!!

beccawrite said:
We made it Madrid!! Thank you my fellow pilgrims!! I can't say I'm fear free yet, but the first small step is a HUGE step for me!! I am astounded by your love and support! And, as one dear peregrina reminded me poco y poco!!
Hoorah! Now you just need to go and meet your new friends and the nerves will evaporate! Buen Camino! :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
AWESOME! And the pilgrim who advised you to go "poco a poco" is absolutely right. Do what you can and when your body/mind tell you it's been enough, stop, pray and breathe. You will make it, just wait and see:) Look how far you've made it already! You'll be in our prayers.

Ultreia!

Mary

Congratulations. Well done! I'm sure that everything will get easier from now on. You have already displayed great spirit and fortitude. Go for it girl!

I had a feeling you did when you weren't answering the posts...awesome!

¡Buen Camino Peregrina!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glad to hear you are in Spain now!

Also, no one else mentioned this -- but the fear is natural, and in fact I think that the fear is part of the camino. It may not go away, but you'll learn how to exist with it instead of being controlled by it; being afraid is one way to know that you're actually present in the experience. I was afraid of things on the first day, and I was still afraid of things while standing on the rocks at Finisterra, but the camino taught me how to act despite that fear.

Buen Camino, amiga!

I have not even set foot on the Camino but am learning so much about myself. Look at this wee bump in the road and take stock of what it wanted to teach you.

Well done! beccawrite.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You boarded the aeroplane? You are in Madrid? Way to go!! You are so much braver than you think you are and have just proved that!

You know, you are designed to cope with just about anything, we all are - you will be fine now. The next fear may be the fear of loneliness, but that isn't going to happen, you will meet some lovely people, people just like you - most of them rather anxious inside.

All is well

Buen Camino!

You 're all so wonderful!! Next small step, on the way to Pamplona!! And, my amazing husband is such a man of patience to walk me through this!! You all have been God's voice reminding me I am never alone!! I am so grateful!!! Poco y poco,right Rebekah! Love and gratitude! :arrow:

beccawrite said:
You all have been God's voice reminding me I am never alone!!
We're not usually accused of that! :D What we are is a group of future/present/past pilgrims who want you to enjoy the experience and come onto the forum next month saying 'Wow!' Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Becca! Keep us posted -if possible, on your Camino. Would love to hear about you overcoming your anxiety and that you are thoroughly enjoying your Camino :D.

Ultreia!

Mary

I'll second that - keep us up to date - and if you do have any problems let us know, we may be able to help

buen Camino :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am so glad you took that step and went. I walked for 11 days last year and am returning on Apr. 21 and starting where i left off at Belorado and will walk for 3 wks. Doing it in stages. I am 59 yrs. old and went by my self. Many times I asked myself what I got myself into before I left. Once I got to Madrid I never looked back. Was the best time of my life. I can hardly wait to get back. Only 1 more week to go. Enjoy and take your time. This will be a life altering experience.

I think most of us can relate to being gripped by fear at some point-my own first experience was landing in Africa during a military coup with two small children many years ago. I survived of course, but I still think my fear deprived me of enjoying that trip as much as I could. Anyway,much older and wiser(I hope) now, I find this quote helpful when I feel afraid:
"Be strong and of good courage;be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed:for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest."
Joshua 1:9

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back