• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Help!!

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I am sitting in a Hotel room in Burgos, where I bussed this morning. I've been on the Camino since the 12th and now have to sit out. I've had knee problems, which I can manage with Ibuprofen and a brace. What I can't manage is this hip/ butt sciatic pain that goes all the way down my leg and into my foot. It has kept me awake almost groaning in pain. I need sleep. I've tried all kinds of gentle stretches and things. Please help. I've got this hotel for two nights and then I'm hoping to get back out there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Joodle, I'm very sorry to hear that!
Sciatica is no fun, to put it mildly. Great you're in Burgos where you can find a physio! I have no experience with any but saw fliers in the Municipal Albergue, so they're definitely around. And if the pain is extreme--I'd also get it checked out by a doctor...
May you be pain-free soon...Buen continued Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Joodle. My phone is acting up, so hope you get this post. So sorry you're feeling so bad... I concur with the others,

Hi Joodle, hope you get this because my phone is doing weird stuff.... So sorry you're feeling so crook (that's an Australianism!) and I concur with the others that emergency room/doctor/physiotherapist help should be sought.... But meantime, can I offer you some distance energy clearing? I'm not a doctor, so obviously can't deal with "symptoms" etc; but I try to clear some of the energy, if you would like me to do so? Let me know if you do.... Either way, all the very best....

@Joodle for sciatica and back pain I'm a fan of Osteopaths (not chiropractors) They use deep massage to relax the muscles and tendons. But I'd agree, your first port of call is a medical centre. Spain has first class medicine and Burgos is big with all the facilities you need. Many doctors and nurses speak English or can find someone to help translate - grab a fellow pilgrim if necessary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am sitting in a Hotel room in Burgos, where I bussed this morning. I've been on the Camino since the 12th and now have to sit out. I've had knee problems, which I can manage with Ibuprofen and a brace. What I can't manage is this hip/ butt sciatic pain that goes all the way down my leg and into my foot. It has kept me awake almost groaning in pain. I need sleep. I've tried all kinds of gentle stretches and things. Please help. I've got this hotel for two nights and then I'm hoping to get back out there.
You poor thing. If you can sleep on your back and put a pillow under your knees it will ease it or if you can only dleep on your side put the pillow between your knees so it is like a wedge. Hope you find some relief. Also if you can get some heat on it as well. Either a wheat bag that you heat up in a microwave or the sticky pads that generate heat. Hope you're back on your feet soon I leave Scotland tomorrow so a tad nervous. ;-)

Poor you, I really hope you can find some relief from the pain and discomfort. I agree with others you need to seek medical advice.

The pillow between/under the knees is excellent advice as it helps to keep your pelvis aligned rather than tilted.

I'm not sure about heat/warmth though. It does help the pain, but if it is a slipped or bulging disc pressing on the nerve then cold/ice will help to shrink it so it may slip back into place. I was told to avoid heat and use ice. Cold also reduces inflammation if that is present. You will get conflicting opinions, so do what a medical practitioner advises.

Regarding the distance healing, say yes please to AprilJo. It won't do you any harm, and may well give you some relief.

The only other thing I can suggest is that when you start walking again you have your backpack transported. You are already using trekking poles all the time? If not, then check the adjustment for height/length and use them constantly to take some of the strain.

I've had injections to combat my sciatica (but I can feel it now tweaking in my bottom as I sit quietly on the sofa!) and they've helped a lot. However I have found that carrying extra weight does not help, so I carry a daypack with 3-4lbs worth of 'stuff' in it, and send my main pack on ahead. It's not ideal, but it makes my back feel better. If you can plan to send it somewhere within your walking distance, then if you find you want to go further you can carry it for another few km without too much problem. But if you send it too far and then can't make it, or if you want to stop sooner because you are with some great people then it does become a problem. You do not have to stay where you send your pack, but you can't send it to municipal or donative albergues as they are not open in the mornings to accept it.

Anyway, I wish you the best, and as pain-free night as possible, and hope you can find some ease to continue your Camino.

That is too bad. Well look at the positive....you've made it to Burgos which is a nice stretch. I obviously don't know it you have a time issue. If not, and after a visit to Dr in Burgos take a few days a rest. Then IF it turns out you can continue (and if you do have a time issue) ... skip part of the Meseta if needed....or another stretch down the road to catch up again and just do that part another year. I can only do parts of the Camino due to time issues. Nothing I can do about it.....better to enjoy a part to the fullest then struggle all the way :) good luck with all. And yes...if you do go on...forward your backpack. Get a small day pack in Burgos for water and valuables.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is no need to "get back out there" and do damage. Take the advice to get treated, then consider all of this great advice. Also, walking for an hour or two may be more your cup of tea than walking four to six hours. Especially at this time. Take care of that good body of yours!

Hi Joodle, I had sciatic nerve in my right leg a few years ago and I could feel the electricity shooting up and down my whole leg and causing much pain. You need to see a doctor pronto because this problem may cause atrophy in the leg. I went to see an acupuncturist to relax the muscles -- and after two treatments, he said the nerve heals one inch a day! So I hope your problem is not too serious, otherwise you need to rest and heal. My problem was likely caused by extended sitting meditation (I sat for two hours straight legs crossed, not moving, everyday for two weeks!) so probably a lot more serious than yours. Good luck and Buen Camino!

When you start walking again it may be a good idea to use two walking poles. One was no good for me and I had pain with sciatica but after using two it virtually solved the problem.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Joodle
I feel for you as I developed a left foot problem around Burgos a couple of weeks ago. I foolishly carried on walking and ended up having to see a local doctor in a small town further on which turned out to be expensive and my problem was mis-diagnosed probably due to language issues!
Definitely seek out treatment in Burgos where services are much more available.
Also I have to agree with DutchWalker about not having to "get back out there" - your body is the only one you've got and it needs looking after - the Camino will be there in the future if you have to stop or change your plans.
Having said that I hope you recover and can continue your walk. I had to abandon my Camino after 355km and am now back in Australia very disappointed but quite philosophical about the experience :)
All the best
Julie

Oh no that's what I'm afraid of. I had a lower back issue a few months ago and did get relief from an osteo massage and clinical Pilates combined with anti inflamms. They told me walking on the flat is good, but no hills or backpack. I can imagine your disappointment but maybe now was not the time to complete the walk. Listen to your body and I wish you a speedy recovery.

If this is sciatica it may take a lomg time for you to feel better. Been there, done that, luckily not on the Camino. I don't think you can make it worse by walking but that would be one long amd miserable walk. Sorry this is happening to you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Go to the local clinica - ask at hotel reception. They have a number of doctors there at any one time (usually there are a few English speakers) It will cost you about €50. They will prescribe medication and any other therapy. Prescription cost in Spain is unlikely to cost more than €5.

Joodle some of the best English speakers are the Pharmacias. Ask the hotel if they can refer you to a physiotherapist and if they could call a taxi for you. So sorry this came on. Please don't push it.

When you start walking again it may be a good idea to use two walking poles. One was no good for me and I had pain with sciatica but after using two it virtually solved the problem.
I did buy two new poles. I will use them faithfully. A tverpist said I overstretched before I was warmed up. I am getting some relief with some hip tilts and gentle stretching. 'Be had almost two days off in Burgos. I will walk slowly and gently. My knee problem has improved. I thought I was tough and would have no problems!! I have learned humility!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Glad you are feeling some relieve... not sure what they prescribed... I found the voltaren pills they prescribed for me in 2012, helped me finish my Camino.... they say they are hard on the stomach... well I must have a stomach of a cow (4 compartments), I popped them like candies with beer and orujo... of course this was absolute insanity...am not recommending to copy.

Take it easy and keep on with the hip stretches if that is what was recommended, it helped my frozen hip and sciatica.

Healing energies, prayers Ingrid

No doubt , go to emergency in a hospital , get yo know the problems on yor leg and get properly medicated .
I think that the best ask for help of any pilgrim to go with you or at the albergue or pharmacies.

Buen camino!

Joodle, this is your Camino, your journey, for better or worse. And it could be that your Camino calls you to stop and take stock of your health; if that is the case, then accept it for what it is.
I suffered similar pain and it was a year before it eased enough for me to have anything like a normal life. That was 30+ years ago and my back still reminds me it is there all the time, and sometimes it goes into spasm. I do exercises and try not to sit in "bad" positions and these days I'm fitter than I have been for years. We'll see just how fit that is sometime round next Friday, as I descend into Zubiri after 3 days on my Camino.
Good luck, good health, Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the update on how you are, Joodle!
I have learned humility!!
It's the best!:)
Please don't push it.
Movinmaggie's said it in just a few words.
I'm so glad you got those poles and are feeling more and more relief. Hopefully, you have time to go really slowly--and if you only go part of the way to Santiago before you have to go home...hee hee...there'll be a partial credencial waiting to be finished.

I did buy two new poles. I will use them faithfully. A tverpist said I overstretched before I was warmed up. I am getting some relief with some hip tilts and gentle stretching. 'Be had almost two days off in Burgos. I will walk slowly and gently. My knee problem has improved. I thought I was tough and would have no problems!! I have learned humility!!

@Joodle so glad to hear you are feeling a bit better and the stretches help. As everyone else has said (and as I'm sure you know!), take it slowly and if you need to, don't hesitate to have your pack sent ahead - the reduced weight can make a difference. Buen camino and take care of yourself!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Joodle... You may want to see if you can pick up some CEP knee height compression socks before you leave Burgos. Some say they help with sciatica. Also, extra strength aspirin helps me with nerve pain rather than ibuprofen pills, which really mess with my stomach. I would pick up some ibuprofen cream and lather that on. Good luck and buen camino.

Sorry you are coping with this, Joodle! What has helped sciatica when I've had it is stretching (get specific stretches online) and walking. Lying down made it worse. Not sure about the pack, send ahead if you need it! Let us know how you are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back