• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

helpful article on hand laundering

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From CNN. Feel free to ignore the product endorsements.
dunno about experts but after many years in the forces and Camino since 2003, I find simplest is best e.g. when I go for a shower so do the undies ! I trample then ferociously and rinse them the same time as meself :) I use whatever liquid shampoo or soap is to hand and it doesn't seem to harm me or my gear :) It's the drying that requires low cunning and I'm sure we all have our secrets !

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Soap on the crotch and pits, everything else will benefit from guilt by association.

And for the first-timers and never-yet-ers here, the gullwing drying rack shown in the OP's link appears to be standard equipment in every French gite.

I'm a first timer here, but not a first timer to public showers. The thought of stomping my clothes on the shower floor where other people's feet and fungus live makes me shudder. I would never let my bare feet touch a public shower/change room floor let alone my clothes and undies. It does cause me to ask the question - with so many other people waiting for showers and hoping there will be hot water left - is this a common way to launder your clothes? Doesn't the extra time/hot water to rinse the clothes take time/hot water away from other pilgrims? This is not meant to be a criticism, just an honest question since I am new to the Camino family.

I just wash them till the smell gets out and when I ring out my clothes the water is almost clear. Then about every 8 or 9 days everything in the laundry. The soap I use for my body I use for my clothes. Weight, weight. If I am not smelling that is all I care about. I would rather be relaxing, or chatting or resting in my albergue or sitting in the nearest bar watching the world go by.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a first timer here, but not a first timer to public showers. The thought of stomping my clothes on the shower floor where other people's feet and fungus live makes me shudder. I would never let my bare feet touch a public shower/change room floor let alone my clothes and undies. It does cause me to ask the question - with so many other people waiting for showers and hoping there will be hot water left - is this a common way to launder your clothes? Doesn't the extra time/hot water to rinse the clothes take time/hot water away from other pilgrims? This is not meant to be a criticism, just an honest question since I am new to the Camino family.
I’m quite used to quick showers having lived 7+ years in an RV so starting the shower fully dressed but for shoes seems doable and sufficient in short order. I may practice here at home. But I agree with keeping things off the floor!

I've mentioned my method of using a dry bag as a "portable washing machine" before. IMO definitely preferable to stomping on my clothes on the shower floor.

I use a 12 liter dry bag to wash my clothes in, rather than the albergue laundry sinks. As I'm undressing for my shower and the water is warming up I put half a laundry detergent sheet and water in the bag, then my clothes. Then I fill the bag about 3/4 full with water and close it up. I give it a few shakes and set it aside to soak while I shower and dress. I then shake the bag some more to agitate everything well before rinsing in the laundry sink. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean. After wring them out well I roll them up in my towel and twist it. This method gets my clothes cleaner than using the laundry sinks alone in the albergues. I think that the long soaking time is the secret. I even use the dry bag to wash when I'm staying in a room with my own bathroom.

I use a 12 liter dry bag to wash my clothes in, rather than the albergue laundry sinks. As I'm undressing for my shower and the water is warming up I put half a laundry detergent sheet and water in the bag, then my clothes. Then I fill the bag about 3/4 full with water and close it up. I give it a few shakes and set it aside to soak while I shower and dress. I then shake the bag some more to agitate everything well before rinsing in the laundry sink. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean. After wring them out well I roll them up in my towel and twist it. This method gets my clothes cleaner than using the laundry sinks alone in the albergues. I think that the long soaking time is the secret. I even use the dry bag to wash when I'm staying in a room with my own bathroom.
That's excellent idea about the dry bag. I used to have one for kayaking but never considered it for laundering. I also roll my clothes in towels, even here at home. It cuts the drying time significantly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m quite used to quick showers having lived 7+ years in an RV so starting the shower fully dressed but for shoes seems doable and sufficient in short order. I may practice here at home. But I agree with keeping things off the floor!
The reason I brought the subject up - I have volunteered with hurricane recovery. At the end of the day there are 30+ volunteers waiting to shower and a limited number of stalls. During those times I would always feel so conscious of how much time I took knowing so many were waiting, and how much water I used, knowing it was limited (hot water was not a thing). I feel like a busy Camino would be a similar situation.

dunno about experts but after many years in the forces and Camino since 2003, I find simplest is best e.g. when I go for a shower so do the undies ! I trample then ferociously and rinse them the same time as meself :) I use whatever liquid shampoo or soap is to hand and it doesn't seem to harm me or my gear :) It's the drying that requires low cunning and I'm sure we all have our secrets !

Buen Camino

Samarkand.
Exactly what I was about to say!!!!

I'm a first timer here, but not a first timer to public showers. The thought of stomping my clothes on the shower floor where other people's feet and fungus live makes me shudder.
I do agree here. I do take my bra and panties into the shower with me frequently, but I scrub them in my hands and then hang them on a hook (if possible) in any communal shower. I would not put them on a communal shower floor. That said - if I am in a private room I have washed in hands and trampled them on the shower floor lol.
Doesn't the extra time/hot water to rinse the clothes take time/hot water away from other pilgrims? This is not meant to be a criticism, just an honest question since I am new to the Camino family.
This is where common sense needs to be utilized. If the showers are busy, then don't take extra time in them to do your laundry (and never do all of your laundry in a communal shower - just maybe an item or two). But when I showered, there were usually other stalls still available and not a line for the showers. In these cases - I have no problem taking a slightly longer shower to wash a couple items. The thing is... if you really want to get the clothes clean you should use a sink or basin anyway - but if you just want to refresh bras/panties - nothing wrong with taking them with you into the shower.

The reason I brought the subject up - I have volunteered with hurricane recovery. At the end of the day there are 30+ volunteers waiting to shower and a limited number of stalls. During those times I would always feel so conscious of how much time I took knowing so many were waiting, and how much water I used, knowing it was limited (hot water was not a thing). I feel like a busy Camino would be a similar situation.
The difference here in my experiences is that most pilgrims don't shower at the beginning or end of the day. Most pilgrims showered upon their arrival at the albergue. You walk, you check into your albergue, you find your bed and make it, you grab your clean clothes and head to the shower, you wash your dirty clothes and hang them to dry, then you take a nap. Then when you wake up you go out and explore town and get dinner. Somewhere along the way you fit your lunch in too. OK, not always in that order - but this is what many of us did. And we didn't all arrive at the albergue at the same time. Therefore there weren't lines for the showers. In terms of the showers - the only problems I experiences was pilgrims who decided to shower in communal showers first thing in the morning and decided that they could lock the entire communal bathroom door so no one else could get in and use a different toilet or shower stall.

So, the official advice, from an expert ( ex as in past it, spurt as in drip under pressure), via CNN (a renowned resource for survivalists) is that you can rinse out your “delicates” (delicate sportswear please) socks and knickers by hand but that anything else should be washed by machine or a professional ( your Mum for instance?)
Words fail me. Well obviously not, but, seriously? No, I’m right words fail me. I am unable to articulate how absurd this seems.
Mind you, last time I did a boil-wash with soda my hands did go a bit red…

I do agree here. I do take my bra and panties into the shower with me frequently, but I scrub them in my hands and then hang them on a hook (if possible) in any communal shower. I would not put them on a communal shower floor. That said - if I am in a private room I have washed in hands and trampled them on the shower floor lol.

This is where common sense needs to be utilized. If the showers are busy, then don't take extra time in them to do your laundry (and never do all of your laundry in a communal shower - just maybe an item or two). But when I showered, there were usually other stalls still available and not a line for the showers. In these cases - I have no problem taking a slightly longer shower to wash a couple items. The thing is... if you really want to get the clothes clean you should use a sink or basin anyway - but if you just want to refresh bras/panties - nothing wrong with taking them with you into the shower.
I did bra/panties, even socks sometimes, while showering. NOT on the floor. (aways wore flipflops in showers) Found I could hang these small items from the bottom of the top bunk if in a lower. Hung outside when possible. Used a public laundromat once or twice to get it all "really" clean

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Of course, it goes without saying that in an Albergue or other such hostel, due respect must always be given to other pilgrims and their needs. However, as arrival times are generally quite staggered, this is not often a problem. The morning rush hour is very different. As for wet clothing on communal floors, rinsing well should do the trick. Tom

I use my dry bag in the same manner as a Scrubba bag, but with less weight and $$$
Yes, it is a trade off. Drybag is less money and weighs less, but the Scrubba has "nubs" built in to make it more like a washboard to help remove more grime. I bought 2 Scrubbas for other long distance hikes - but every time I weigh our packs we remove them!

Yes, it is a trade off. Drybag is less money and weighs less, but the Scrubba has "nubs" built in to make it more like a washboard to help remove more grime. I bought 2 Scrubbas for other long distance hikes - but every time I weigh our packs we remove them!
I question whether the nubs increase the effectiveness that much.

Whether one uses a Scrubba or a dry bag like I do, it can serve a second purpose as as stuff bag for sleeping gear.

So, the official advice, from an expert ( ex as in past it, spurt as in drip under pressure), via CNN (a renowned resource for survivalists) is that you can rinse out your “delicates” (delicate sportswear please) socks and knickers by hand but that anything else should be washed by machine or a professional ( your Mum for instance?)
Words fail me. Well obviously not, but, seriously? No, I’m right words fail me. I am unable to articulate how absurd this seems.
Mind you, last time I did a boil-wash with soda my hands did go a bit red…
1646917503512.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I question whether the nubs increase the effectiveness that much.

Whether one uses a Scrubba or a dry bag like I do, it can serve a second purpose as as stuff bag for sleeping gear.
I'm all for multi-usage on a Camino. Perhaps a dry bag combined with one or two of the smaller foot massage balls might have the same effect as @jeanineonthecamino's nubs?

1646917812336.png
You could also throw them at that really noisy snorer in the bunk across the way :D

Take three and you could learn to juggle, not while doing the laundry of course, that would just be silly.

Soap on the crotch and pits, everything else will benefit from guilt by association.

And for the first-timers and never-yet-ers here, the gullwing drying rack shown in the OP's link appears to be standard equipment in every French gite.
The better racks have a different style of support arm. We bought the same model as the one in our rented apartment in Spain back in 1978 to bring home with us - still going strong today. The look on the Customs Agent's face as we walked past him at Gatwick Airport was a joy to behold!

I'm all for multi-usage on a Camino. Perhaps a dry bag combined with one or two of the smaller foot massage balls might have the same effect as @jeanineonthecamino's nubs?

View attachment 120167
You could also throw them at that really noisy snorer in the bunk across the way :D

Take three and you could learn to juggle, not while doing the laundry of course, that would just be silly.
Or just do what I end up doing - give a half effort to hand wash your clothes (I hate handwashing lol) and simply give them a good refresh/rinse instead with a little extra attention to undies and pits on shirts... and then every few days pay for a real machine wash to actually get the grime out!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We share a 7 oz bottle of Dawn detergent. We use it for shampoo, when needed and hard to wash spots. So we might rub the dawn into the spot, then, wet and rinse the entire top, towel dry and hang, or we might just clean the spots, then towel blot and hang.

I'm a first timer here, but not a first timer to public showers. The thought of stomping my clothes on the shower floor where other people's feet and fungus live makes me shudder. I would never let my bare feet touch a public shower/change room floor let alone my clothes and undies.
You are not alone…which is why we try to stay in private accommodations. At least we then have some hope that the bathroom was cleaned right before we arrived. I even find it hard to share a bathroom at a pension, especially with Covid!

While it is certainly possible to wash bulky items by hand, when it comes to towels, sweatshirts, pants, jeans and other bulky garments, it’s best to stick with machine-washing or professional cleaning.
Really? How 1st world.
I live where the washing machine is a bucket.
As do many people on tbe planet.

It just takes a bit of elbow grease, but things can get cleaner being washed by hand than in a machine.
• Soaking is one key to success.
• Pounding or rubbing the fabric against itself is another (think of old-fashioned washing boards, and how one kneads clothes on them. Stomping on the shower stall floor serves the same purpose. For the squeamish, know if you use plenty of soap and hot water - and weather permitting dry the clothes in the sun - any spores will be killed. A drier on hot is even better.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Buen Camino

Samarkand.
WAFFLE STOMP,,,,,LOL I LIKE IT

Samarkan is quite right. If I am very hot and sticky, I go one better and start the shower still wearing my shirt, shorts, underpants and socks. Then I remove them and trample on them. It works a treat! Tom
All I can say about this is "yuck!"
Who knows what kind of fungus is in those shower floors.
That's just asking for crotch rot, in my opinion.:oops::rolleyes:

All I can say about this is "yuck!"
Who knows what kind of fungus is in those shower floors.
A couple of pilgrims that I walked with used this method - no fungus problems, but they stopped when they got bleach spots on their clothes from the residual bleach that had been used to clean the showers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always walk in the autumn and am a fairly slow walker. For me, the main laundry issue has always been how to get things dry when they must be hung up outside and the air is cold from the start and soon dark.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did bra/panties, even socks sometimes, while showering. NOT on the floor. (aways wore flipflops in showers) Found I could hang these small items from the bottom of the top bunk if in a lower. Hung outside when possible. Used a public laundromat once or twice to get it all "really" clean
Addition... For short sleeve tops I wore nylon which dries easily, undies also nylon or other synthetic. Also, used one of. those synthetic towels that i don't really like but it works. Did clothes after shower, used towel to wring a bit more out of clothes before hanging all. Towel sometime hung at end of bunk.

You walk, you check into your albergue, you find your bed and make it, you grab your clean clothes and head to the shower, you wash your dirty clothes and hang them to dry, then you take a nap.

This is a very practical approach, which I find very useful because I will be doing my first Camino in june and am a little nervous about this (for context, I am 50 year old, I have never gone camping, I have never slept in a shared room, and the idea of hanging my intimate cloths for everyone to see is a little disconformable for me).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the idea of hanging my intimate cloths for everyone to see is a little disconformable for me.
Mostly you'll be hanging those bits on a communal washing line alongside everyone else's bits. No one will be looking at your bits. They'll be focussed on their own bits and possibly slightly discomfited too.

It's part of communal living: "the custody of the eyes", no one will look at you as you are changing, no one will look at you in your night-wear, no one will look at you and your intimate practices in exactly the same way as you will not look at them.

And yes, to answer your query to @trecile, any dry-bag or waterproof bag will do the job of providing your own portable washing-machine

As a hospitalera in Najera last November, I recall wandering out to the Ladies washroom in the middle of the night with a pair of very decrepit long underwear serving as pajama bottoms. Halfway through the dormitory, I met a young man, presumably returning from a visit to the Men's. I was hoping that the state of my undergarment was not visible in the dark. I worried for naught. He was following the usual protocol; neither of us looked at the other or indicated that anyone was there.

@trecile any dry bag will do ?

And there are such things as hiking dresses? Could you share some links or photos?
Yes, any dry bag should do - even a large plastic zip lock bag.

I make my own merino wool "hiking dresses," but there are a number of companies that make suitable dresses, including a company called LadyHike.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@trecile any dry bag will do ?

And there are such things as hiking dresses? Could you share some links or photos?
Yes, any dry bag will do.

And yes - there are quite a few "hiking" dresses available. But I think it is easier to find hiking "skirts". REI has some - I just bought a couple that have some merino wool material in them (merino doesn't hold odors so it is a preferred material for me) - but they are mixed fabrics and haven't tried them out yet. Haven't weighted them yet but they are pretty light when I hold them (I weight everything that I consider putting in my pack). I even found an athletic dress at Old Navy that I have been doing my long walks at home in. But - I don't like the material and weight for the Camino.

This is a very practical approach, which I find very useful because I will be doing my first Camino in june and am a little nervous about this (for context, I am 50 year old, I have never gone camping, I have never slept in a shared room, and the idea of hanging my intimate cloths for everyone to see is a little disconformable for me).
One communal clothes line approach I have used is - they often have 4 lines or so - I put my larger items on the outer lines, smaller items on the inner lines. But really - there are so many people hanging out their clothes, no one cares. Also - it isn't like I am bringing my "romantic" undergarments with - I am taking plain boring merino wool hiking bras and hiking panties (or last year I had exofficio panties). Nothing frilly. No lacy negligee type items haha

Yes, any dry bag should do - even a large plastic zip lock bag.

I make my own merino wool "hiking dresses," but there are a number of companies that make suitable dresses, including a company called LadyHike.

That link took me down a rabbit hole!

I also use the dry bag method. In the past I've used liquid shampoo for body, hair and washing clothes inside the dry bag, but I've now acquired a bar shampoo that suits me. Much lighter than liquid. It will still double up for washing the body, but not so good to wash clothes in the dry bag. So this next camino I'm taking some washing powder sheets. Another good idea from @trecile. I'd never heard of them before.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here's a pretty good video showing how to wash clothes in a dry bag.

As @Kanga mentioned, I use half of a laundry detergent sheet for each "load" of laundry. They get my clothes clean without making a lot of suds, so it's easier to rinse the clothes out.

Here's a pretty good video showing how to wash clothes in a dry bag.

As @Kanga mentioned, I use half of a laundry detergent sheet for each "load" of laundry. They get my clothes clean without making a lot of suds, so it's easier to rinse the clothes out.

Thanks @trecile , really great video that shows the dry bag method you mentioned. I am already a fan!

In terms of hike dresses I am not so lucky. I loved the dresses, the vibe and the pictures of the LadyHyke, but they do not ship to Portugal :( neither does REI. But I now know "they" exist, so I will look for shops more close to home.

Thanks again

Carla

I've mentioned my method of using a dry bag as a "portable washing machine" before. IMO definitely preferable to stomping on my clothes on the shower floor.

I've progressed to that same system over the years...I use a laundry bar and just throw that in the bag...shake it all up. We're on the same page @trecile ...great minds think alike :)

€149,-
In terms of hike dresses I am not so lucky. I loved the dresses, the vibe and the pictures of the LadyHyke, but they do not ship to Portugal :( neither does REI. But I now know "they" exist, so I will look for shops more close to home.
You don't need a dress that labeled as a "hiking dress." Any comfortable easy to wash and dry dress will work.

Yes, any dry bag will do.

And yes - there are quite a few "hiking" dresses available. But I think it is easier to find hiking "skirts". REI has some - I just bought a couple that have some merino wool material in them (merino doesn't hold odors so it is a preferred material for me) - but they are mixed fabrics and haven't tried them out yet. Haven't weighted them yet but they are pretty light when I hold them (I weight everything that I consider putting in my pack). I even found an athletic dress at Old Navy that I have been doing my long walks at home in. But - I don't like the material and weight for the Camino.
I'm surprised that no one is mentioning silk underwear. it too is a natural fiber, washes and dries easily, comfortable for me who cannot wear even merino wool next to my skin. Try LL Bean or Winter Silks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm surprised that no one is mentioning silk underwear. it too is a natural fiber, washes and dries easily, comfortable for me who cannot wear even merino wool next to my skin. Try LL Bean or Winter Silks.
I don't have silk underwear - but I have a super lightweight pair of silk yoga pants that I wear in the evenings and to sleep in. Love them! I don't like other wool next to my skin - but have no problem with merino wool.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back