• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Helpful hints for a Camino newbie?

RJW

Hi all,

First, let me just say how gloriously happy I am to have found this website! Just reading through all these posts has made me feel a little braver about trying to plan my first trek on one of the Caminos.

I have a few ignorant (!) questions though, and would greatly appreciate some help!

1) Am I right in thinking that you can't reserve a bed in an albergue before starting to walk?
2) How much do albergues normally cost, approximately?
3) Since this is a holy year, and the summer holiday season, would it be worth it to spend more on a hostel or hotel to make sure to get a bed each night? The general consensus seems to be that the camino portugues is much less crowded than the camino frances, but I'm still very unsure what to expect.

Thanks!!!!!
RJW

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi - welcome to the forum. Just ask any questions yuou wish and members will try to answer them.

So...

1 In terms of albergues (dormintory accommodation) there are generally two types - ones run by local authorities and church organisations where you can't book ahead, you just turn up. Secondly privately owned and run albergues where often you can book ahead and some of which have private rooms also and a number of other facilities. One network of these is http://www.redalberguessantiago.com/

The best thing is to get a good up to date Guidebook such as the one published by the Confratenrity of St James http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... in_23.html

I recommend this even in addition to other guides books such as that by John Brierly as it is up dated every year and is compartatively cheap. In my experience it is all you need to walk the route.

2 The cost ranges between a donation (donativo) in the church or confraternity albergues, 5 euros in the municipal albergues and up to 10 - 12 euros in the private albergues.

3 The routes will get busier during August and September but they do not appear to have been at saturation point apart from closer to Santiago thus far. Generally the Portuguese Route is quieter but for some doesn't have the magic of the Camino Frances. If you find as you go along either route that the albergues are busy you can consult your guidebook to book a hostal or hotel a day or so in advance. Another option would be to use a service like the Camino Travel Centre to book your accommodation.

Happy planning

John

Oh! Thanks so much for your reply. I do have another question about the pilgrim's passport (so it may be better suited to the general forum list, but ah well). I'll be staying one night in Porto and then taking a train to Tui in the morning to begin walking due to limited time. Does anyone know the hours of the cathedral in Porto (i.e. could I get a credential from the cathedral in the evening), or whether or not I could get one elsewhere in Porto or in Tui when I start walking?

Also, I read in a different thread that--if all else fails--I could get stamps in a notebook until finding a pilgrim's passport...this makes me nervous! But is it still true?

Thank you again!!
RJW

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would recommend you take a bus to Valenca, on the Portuguese border, instead of the train to Tui.
There are lots of buses, but only one train. And you can walk the bridge over the Minho, it's really amazing, and takes only an hour walk from the bus station in Valenca to the albergue in Tui.
The albergue, in Tui, is next to the Cathedral and you can get a p. passport there (Cathedral).

Bom Caminho
Jose Luis

Hi - I'm sure that you will get a Credencial either in Oporto or Tui - but yes it is true that if all else fails you can collect sellos in your notebook or guidebook until you get the Credencial.

Buen Camino

John

Wow, thanks so much for all your help! I think I will go from Valenca; I've heard nothing but wonderful things about crossing the Minho.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,

First, let me just say how gloriously happy I am to have found this website! Just reading through all these posts has made me feel a little braver about trying to plan my first trek on one of the Caminos.

I have a few ignorant (!) questions though, and would greatly appreciate some help!

1) Am I right in thinking that you can't reserve a bed in an albergue before starting to walk?
3) Since this is a holy year, and the summer holiday season, would it be worth it to spend more on a hostel or hotel to make sure to get a bed each night? The general consensus seems to be that the camino portugues is much less crowded than the camino frances, but I'm still very unsure what to expect.

Thanks!!!!!
RJW
Hi all,

Thanks!!!!!
RJW

Just finished the last 100km of the Portuguese Camino last week 9/10/15. I've posted a detailed list of places we stayed in the Albergues, hostels sub forum. You would probably be best to book somewhere to stay in advance, the night before you start your pilgrimage and somewhere in Santiago close to the Cathedral an old city for when you finish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back