• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hendaye - Hondarribia Ferry

Vaughan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francais April/May 2019
Norte Aug/Sept 2022
I'm starting the Camino Norte on 28th August from Irun but I'm wondering what's the best way to get to Hondarribia (where I plan to follow the coastal GR route). I can see there is a ferry from Hendaye which might might save me a few kms but does anyone have any experience of how often this ferry runs and what time it starts? Its going to be a fairly long day to San Sebastian so I want to start as early as I can.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm starting the Camino Norte on 28th August from Irun but I'm wondering what's the best way to get to Hondarribia (where I plan to follow the coastal GR route). I can see there is a ferry from Hendaye which might might save me a few kms but does anyone have any experience of how often this ferry runs and what time it starts? Its going to be a fairly long day to San Sebastian so I want to start as early as I can.
We start from Irún on the 23rd and are walking into Hondarribia as it's such a short distance from Irún. We are walking into Irún from the San Sebastian airport after we land.

I didn't know about any ferry, and won't be taking it . But, how much shorter do you think it will be?

We start from Irún on the 23rd and are walking into Hondarribia as it's such a short distance from Irún. We are walking into Irún from the San Sebastian airport after we land.

I didn't know about any ferry, and won't be taking it . But, how much shorter do you think it will be?
Good Morning Vaughan
I have taken the ferry but not as a pilgrim.On my way back from Santiago I stayed in Hendaye .I have walked the Norte several times and always passed through Irun.
As a tourist I wanted to see Hondarribia and I walked along the beach in Hendaye to the ferry which is at the far end of the beach.It is some distance from the Railway Station.
If you want to save time you should walk over the bridge ,which is close to Hendaye railway station, to Irun.
In my opinion you would gain nothing time wise by taking the ferry.
I don't know the ferry times I'm sure you will find them by a search on the internet.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for replies. Using Google maps walking from Irun is 6.1kms to the port at Hondarribia and approx 4kms using the Ferry so very marginal. My hotel is just over the bridge in Irun, just inside the Spanish border.

Thanks for replies. Using Google maps walking from Irun is 6.1kms to the port at Hondarribia and approx 4kms using the Ferry so very marginal. My hotel is just over the bridge in Irun, just inside the Spanish border.
There is a lovely walking path from just over the bridge in Hendaye along river/inlet to Hendaye Plage were the ferry is. BUT the little ferry runs I think from 10am

Took that ferry while walking the Norte in Oct 2021. Lovely and quick trip. Cash only paid as you boarded. No schedule at that time, it just motored back and forth.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Regardless of whether it saves time or distance, the ferry sounds like a wonderful additional layer to the experience.
Enjoy..& please come back to us with info & your thoughts about it.
Happy trails...& waterways!
👣 🌏

the ferry starts at 10am and runs every half hour (or 15min in summer) until between 18h and 1h, depending on the season. here is the website.

in july, the old bridge where the waymarked route goes, was still closed off by the barriers. you need to go by the new road bridge.

in that case, I don't thing the ferry is even practical for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.