• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hendaye

DharmaBum

Time of past OR future Camino
Past:
GR20
Le Puy en Velay-SdC
Appalachian Trail
G'day,
How would i get from Hendaye (on the French/Spanish border) to either Santiago de Compostela and/or A Coruña?
Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you walk across the international bridge you're in Irun on the start of the Camino Norte. Follow the yellow arrows and you'll eventually reach Santiago

Thank you Stephen.
I didn't realize how close to the Norte i was going to be.
However, due to time contraints, i want to do the Camino Ingles this time 'round and i will be in Hendaye mid-May.
So i guess a better question for me would be: how would i get to A Coruña from Irun?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you Stephen.
I didn't realize how close to the Norte i was going to be.
However, due to time contraints, i want to do the Camino Ingles this time 'round and i will be in Hendaye mid-May.
So i guess a better question for me would be: how would i get to A Coruña from Irun?
There are flights. The San Sebastian airport is just across the river from Hendaye, walking distance. Check for flights from EAS to LCG.

If I was doing this journey I'd take the ALSA bus which goes all the way - have a look at this page
https://www.alsa.es/
It runs mainly along the coast and mainly close to the Camino del Norte path - so you could get to do a high speed Norte at the same time and perhaps wave occasionally at the odd pilgrim making their way. Cost is pretty reasonable (around 60€). It is a long journey - but the coast is often gorgeous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have only taken that bus from Santiago to Bilbao, the voyage is entirely at night. It is a long trip!

You have chosen two places which are not very close to one another and which are somewhat hard-to connect transportation-wise.

See link below to Rome2rio website...

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just so you know.... the bus takes over 12 hours!!! Definitely fly if you can. Might be a bit more pricey, but Iberia does direct flights Santiago-Bilbao. You might get there in around 4 hours with a stop via Madrid, check with Iberia and Vueling (and check San Sebastian, Bilbao, and Biarritz as destinations)

If I was doing this journey I'd take the ALSA bus which goes all the way - have a look at this page
https://www.alsa.es/
It runs mainly along the coast and mainly close to the Camino del Norte path - so you could get to do a high speed Norte at the same time and perhaps wave occasionally at the odd pilgrim making their way. Cost is pretty reasonable (around 60€). It is a long journey - but the coast is often gorgeous.
Thank you Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
12 hours in a bus seat!
Maybe a bit too much for my 69 year old butt.

You have chosen two places which are not very close to one another and which are somewhat hard-to connect transportation-wise.

See link below to Rome2rio website...

Tom
Thank you Thank you

G'day,
How would i get from Hendaye (on the French/Spanish border) to either Santiago de Compostela and/or A Coruña?
Cheers

Hi DharmaBum

You can catch an fairly early morning Euskotren from Hendaye Euskotren Station to San Sebasatian / Donostia. It is across the car park from the Gare Hendaye SNCF. It is about 2,50€ single and runs regularly - every 30 minutes or something like that. It is a short journey across the border to San Sebastian. Get off at Amara Station. A short walk (15 minutes) will take you to the main San Sebastian RENFE Station. You could save a bit of hassle by getting to San Sebastian and spending a few days there. It is a lovely city. Anyway,the train to Santiago de Compostela leaves (this time of year) at 09.33; hence, the reason to leave Hendaye so early! There is only one a day. It costs around 50€ - less if booked in advance. It does, however, take about 10 hours. If you are not in a hurry you will get a scenic trip across Northern Spain. A train from Santiago would take you to A Coruña. Again, probably best to spend an overnight in Santiago de Compostela then take a train the next day. You could take a bus to A Coruña - Arriva is the company I think - from the bus station. Or, you could take a bus to Ferrol and start the Camino Ingles from there. The A Coruña route and Ferrol route eventually meet up and continue as one. Hope this helps and gives you ideas.

Michael A.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi DharmaBum

You can catch an fairly early morning Euskotren from Hendaye Euskotren Station to San Sebasatian / Donostia. It is across the car park from the Gare Hendaye SNCF. It is about 2,50€ single and runs regularly - every 30 minutes or something like that. It is a short journey across the border to San Sebastian. Get off at Amara Station. A short walk (15 minutes) will take you to the main San Sebastian RENFE Station. You could save a bit of hassle by getting to San Sebastian and spending a few days there. It is a lovely city. Anyway,the train to Santiago de Compostela leaves (this time of year) at 09.33; hence, the reason to leave Hendaye so early! There is only one a day. It costs around 50€ - less if booked in advance. It does, however, take about 10 hours. If you are not in a hurry you will get a scenic trip across Northern Spain. A train from Santiago would take you to A Coruña. Again, probably best to spend an overnight in Santiago de Compostela then take a train the next day. You could take a bus to A Coruña - Arriva is the company I think - from the bus station. Or, you could take a bus to Ferrol and start the Camino Ingles from there. The A Coruña route and Ferrol route eventually meet up and continue as one. Hope this helps and gives you ideas.

Michael A.
Thanks Michael. 10 hours seems like a long bus ride but some flights are equally as long via Madrid (1 flight was actually 20+ hours total) but price is also a concern with me.

Thank you so very much everyone.
Looks like i'm busin' it (cause i'm cheap....i mean thrifty).
Can't be any worse than the overnight plane ride from Canada.
Eh?

Thanks Michael. 10 hours seems like a long bus ride but some flights are equally as long via Madrid (1 flight was actually 20+ hours total) but price is also a concern with me.

Hi DharnaBum

The 10 hour journey from San Sebastián to Santiago de Compostela is by train. The price I quoted was for next week and as I said it could be much reduced by booking in advance. I would use the Trainline website for doing this. It is in English and easier. Unfortunately, if you are starting from Hendaye it is not an easy journey to get to A Coruña. Ideally you would want to fly into A Coruña but that would mean other complications I think. I know of this route because I came back from Santiago de Compostela a number of years ago this way. I was not worried about time and it wasn’t too expensive. Good luck with your plans anyway.

Michael A.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I spotted an Intercity 00283 leaving Irun (5 minutes from Hendaya) at 9.10 am to La Coruna at 20.33 for €61.20. The 10.28 (arrives at 22.33) is cheaper at €43.60. I've done most of this run a few years ago and the scenery can be excellent. There's a change at Victoria/Gasteiz. Spanish train food is not dire, but I would still recommend packing a snack. The Avenida hotel, a block or two from the station, has rooms for C$61.

You could bus from Irun to Bilbao. Then ride FEVE train to Ferrol. The train ride is slow. With beautiful coastal views.

Or faster way is bus Irun to Bilbao. Then change to bus to Ferrol.

Since going west, why not stop in the wonderful city of San Sebastián?

Or walk from Irun to San Sebastián?

What ever you do....enjoy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was thinking about Hendaye yesterday as I was hiking in our local forest lands. I finished my Camino (Frances) in June of 2017, then relaxed for four days in Santiago before boarding the train to Paris with an overnight stay in Hendaye. I am an Ernest Hemingway fan, and he spent time writing in Hendaye back in the 20s/30s. So, I rather like the idea of Hendaye, and frequently reflect on my brief time there. Michael A. provides great information. It is a slow ride, for sure, but when you have time it's sweet to savor on the train what was just accomplished. I might add the savoring includes wine...

Its a quick cheap very frequent pleasant train ride from Hendaye to Bilbao ten bus or train from there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You should spend a day or two in A Coruña. It's a beautiful and interesting city and the seafood is great.
I agree. I loved A Coruña. I know that a lot of people love San Sebastián, but I think that A Coruña has more going for it. Fantastic pedestrian walkway all around the city on the coast, great tapas bars, beautiful beaches, the Tower of Hercules and a spherical glass elevator that takes you down the side of a hill!52147

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you everybody for the great responses
and wishing y'all "Happy Trails".

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.