• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Here goes...

Ryan86

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May-2019)
Hi,

So I'm sitting here in SJPDP, contemplating my beer, and figured I would try and share my story as I attempt the Camino Frances.

My name is Ryan and I'm 32 y/o. I'm likely underprepared, and I've definitely over packed :). (Thankfully, there are baggage transfer services)

I've spent the last two days in Paris, seeing the sights and whatnot, and I now find myself about to embark on what I'm hoping will be an amazing journey.

So if you see me (and my large orange backpack) along the way, please feel free to say hello.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen camino, Ryan.

Don't be afraid to adjust:
  • your pack weight - by sending stuff on or leaving it behind where someone who follows might be able to use it
  • your walking speed - particularly if you are under prepared, and want to build up slowly
  • and anything else that is holding you back from getting the spiritual, religious or just plain physical experience and growth you are seeking.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think most people feel under-prepared when they start their first Camino, and they soon are sure that they have over-packed. I, too, was expecting an amazing journey on my first Camino in 2011 and I was quite disappointed the first day when it was just me, walking...just walking - no dramatic music, no angels singing, nothing exciting but me just walking and walking and walking. A friend and I started in Leon and we walked to Villar de Mazarife our first day so the landscape was not beautiful...just scrubby rolling hills. However, the magic began at dinner that night at wonderful Tio Pepe’s with the people we met and the laughter and fun and the girls coming into collect money for a wedding....and it hasn’t stopped yet! So if your journey doesn’t feel amazing in the first hour or the first day, give it time...eventually it will kick in, and it will become you own special, amazing journey. It’s all about expectations—be open to whatever comes your way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi!!

If you go a little slow we will meet in Leon! 😁 I will start there next May 24th.

Leave what you don´t need in any albergue (you will realize that you need VERY few things!😂) and just enjoy the Camino!!

BTW ... Don´t forget to visit to the "Calle del Laurel in Logroño", "Barrio Humedo in Leon", etc.!!! 😂

Buen Camino!!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Ryan!

I can relate to what you mean about being unprepared and over-packed. I'm trying to remain open to whatever the Camino is for me, without too much expectation. I'm adjusting to the time change here in Barcelona, but will be starting in SJPDP this Sunday. Good luck to you!

Charlotte

Hi,

So I'm sitting here in SJPDP, contemplating my beer, and figured I would try and share my story as I attempt the Camino Frances.

My name is Ryan and I'm 32 y/o. I'm likely underprepared, and I've definitely over packed :). (Thankfully, there are baggage transfer services)

I've spent the last two days in Paris, seeing the sights and whatnot, and I now find myself about to embark on what I'm hoping will be an amazing journey.

So if you see me (and my large orange backpack) along the way, please feel free to say hello.

Buen Camino!
We will be In SJPP tomorrow. I can relate to underprepared & overpacked. Buen Camino!!!

Jerilyn

"Underprepared and overpacked" are subjective to the individual.
As you progress along your camino you will find the "sweet spot" in your tempo and pace to get to where you are going everyday.
Each day you will probably start learning that you can live without certain items in your pack, donate them or discard them completely
As a suggestion, don't focus intently on these issues. Just go, pace yourself and above all enjoy the experience....
Buen Camino....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for all the advice and kind words everyone. Day one is done and dusted, and I'm now waiting on my timeslot for dinner @roncesvalles. A little sore in the shoulders and legs, but nothing alittle stretching can't fix.

Unfortunately it was foggy all day, and so didn't quite get the views I'd hoped for. That said, it was still quite beautiful (even if the infrequent cow bells were rather ominous :p)

Day two of walking done (to Zubiri), I found the sweety spot with my pack straps and got into a good walking rhythm. Upon arrival I've hit a slight snag.

I hadn't booked any accommodation in Zubiri, and so had sent my small backpack on to the first hostel on the 'Buen Camino' app list (Concejo de Zubiri Pilgrims Hostel). To my disappointment, this hostel is closed for renovations.

I've tried to call the Roncesvalles monastery (no answer), and have also sent an email. They responded pretty quickly to the last email I sent them (trying to book accommodation for the night before), So I'm hopeful they can get back to me soon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Success! Turns out I wasn't alone in sending bags to the closed hostel.
It appears to be really busy this year, there are still people coming in of the walk at 4:30-5 pm, but most of the accommodation in Zubiri is full.

Hi,

Buen Camino!
I'm starting on the 13th may to finstere.... Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

Buen Camino!

Buen Camino!

Try Posting your experiences daily, I'm off for the "walk" on 30th June.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Ryan: how’s it going and what’s the weather been like? Especially day 1?
Buen Camino
The weather has been pretty great. Day one way rather foggy and cool, but I guess that's to be expected gong over the mountains. Day two was the only rain so far, but it wasn't overly heavy, and the sun was out by the end of the walk. Since then it's been a good mix of overcast and sunny.

Ok wow, so it's day 7. Thrown a little out along the way, but my bag is still heavy. My ankle/achilles is feeling alittle messed up this morning, so I'm taking the bus from Los Arcos to Logrono today (where I'd already booked two nights, so it works out :p).

It's been an amazing trip so far, meet some great people, and had some amazing conversations, all while enjoying spectacular views. I'll make time to post some photos once I have Wi-Fi.

Ok. So rest day on Logrono was great (despite being alittle under the weather). Only a small ache in my leg during the 30km to Najera. Pain was manageable then but not today (no sharp pains still, so I'm hoping nothing is torn).

Walked the 5-odd km to Azofra with my ankle wrapped. It was slow going but ok, I just don't want to chance truly damaging something. Now waiting for a taxi to take me to Santo Domingo.

Will keep posting with how it goes. I'm not ready to quit this!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Great going Ryan,

Hopefully having lightened the load and as you get stronger the pain will continue to subside.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Great going Ryan,

Hopefully having lightened the load and as you get stronger the pain will continue to subside.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
Thanks Rob, I still need a scan to be 100% sure but the doc says all I should need is ice and rest. It's on to Burgos for me now (as they can't give me a scan in Santo Domingo).

I'm bummed, but trying to keep my spirits up! My little Camino family I've had for the last week have been amazing to take this journey with, and have been a great support to me. I'm hoping I can join them again in a few days

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So an update on my leg:
On Monday I had my achilles scanned, and while the doc said the tendon is fine, there's still some inflammation and fluid in there that needs time and rest to go away.

Current plan is to stay here in Burgos until Friday, and then take a bike across to Leon (which the doc cleared as OK, because it would put less stress on the tendon). The other option would be to walk without my pack (but it's still walking). I really don't want to hurt it again, but I also want to keep moving.

Now, I'm planning my stops along the maseta. The deal with the bike company gives me three days to get to Leon. Are there particular towns that are recommended to stay in?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Ryan :)
Happy to hear you found a solution for your situation with your achilles - and I hope you can continue your Camino! All the best wishes! Keep your spirits up!! :)
As for your question: Actually one of my most favorite municipal albergues was in Villalcazar de Sirga (just before Carrion de los Condes). One of the best hosts there ever! It run by the Maltesers and the Camino spirit is high there! Has a community kitchen and very comfortable beds, the place is also very clean. If you are looking for some quiet time in a small town, that is the place to be!
Also: San Bol just 5km before Hontanas! It is a tiny albergue with only 12 beds (thus one must arrive early), the host makes a wonderful paella, it has a nice little pool to dip your feet in (might help with your inflammation, too ;) ).
Buen Camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back