• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Here we go again!

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I am walking the Camino Via de la Plata with my friend that I met on the Camino Frances, walking it May/June of 2016. We will hit the trail on March 22nd or 23rd and will end our journey on May 11th. Anyone else going at that time? One question, should I bring my lightweight rain pants? I only put them on one time on the CF. Anyone who has been on this trail at this time wish they had them to put on?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I believe you should take rain pants. Last year it rained 7 (more or less) straight days in April.

I might see you along the way. I will be biking, but promise to ring my bell.

I believe you should take rain pants. Last year it rained 7 (more or less) straight days in April.

I might see you along the way. I will be biking, but promise to ring my bell.

I will have a red pack with "Camigas" patch on it, and also a Camino Santiago forum member patch with the yellow arrow.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will have a red pack with "Camigas" patch on it, and also a Camino Santiago forum member patch with the yellow arrow.
Thanks for the warning about the rain pants! I just used them once on the Camino Frances. It rained more than once, I just found that my lightweight hiking pants dried so quickly that it wasn't worth stopping to put them on.

I don't know anything about rain pants for biking. I feel like I should have them, but maybe it will be warm enough that quick drying pants will be enough.
We will find out soon enough.
Where do you get a Camigas patch?

I don't know anything about rain pants for biking. I feel like I should have them, but maybe it will be warm enough that quick drying pants will be enough.
We will find out soon enough.
Where do you get a Camigas patch?
On etsy. Just type in "camigas" and it should come up. they are only $4.50 and $1.50 to ship. they're very nice looking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked last year beginning on the 4th of April and it rained quite a lot! I had a poncho and a hiking umbrella. The poncho stayed unused in my pack. I used just the umbrella all the time. I walked in the zipped off shorts of my lightweight hiking pants - I only used the legs to go to church! If my shorts got wet they dried quickly. I guess it's personal preference. No one tramps (hikes) here in NZ in longs! Buen camino!

I am walking the Camino Via de la Plata with my friend that I met on the Camino Frances, walking it May/June of 2016. We will hit the trail on March 22nd or 23rd and will end our journey on May 11th. Anyone else going at that time? One question, should I bring my lightweight rain pants? I only put them on one time on the CF. Anyone who has been on this trail at this time wish they had them to put on?

Starting on 22nd March and Santiago 28th April . Maybe run into ye first few days. I never bring rain pants Buen camino

I forgo the added weight and hassle of an extra pair of limited use rain pants in favor of zip-off hiking shorts that are made of 100 % nylon. For four years now, I have been wearing successive pairs of REI's "Sahara Convertible Hiking Pant."

In fact, I just bought three more pair, but two inches shorter in the inseam this time. As I age, I am "shrinking" and the trouser hems had been dragging in the dirt on Camino:cool:. Plus, my weight varies:eek: and I need to have two or three pair in two different sizes to accommodate. and I tore a pair on a fence two Caminos ago.:( Living in South Florida when not in Spain, I find these are my daily "go to" pants as well.

If you are curious or interested, see them here: www.rei.com

IMHO, I've tried alternatives and they are the best. Among the unique features I cannot find anywhere, at any price, is a second (vertical) leg zip that allows you to remove your lower leg panels when they are mud caked, without removing your hiking boots. REI calls it the "no sit zip." They are available for both men & women.

When you end the walking day with muddy or wet & dirty leg bottoms, but clean uppers, just zip them off, wash the bottoms. They dry in 30 minutes, well enough to zip back on...

I found this to work as well as specialty rain pants, with less dead weight and hassle. The final point in favor of ditching the separate rain pants for walking is that your lower legs do not experience hypothermia. As long as you keep your extremities (hands, feet, head) and torso warm, you will be fine. I have walked hours upon hours with sodden lower legs and never had problems.

If I accept that I will be wet below the poncho I wear, from the knee down, all day, while I am walking, I can accept the rest of what the day rings. Besides, if the rain showers are on again, off again, the lower leg panels frequently dry while they are being used.;)

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from Salamanca to SdC in May 2013. In 23 days, I had (some days heavy) rain for 19 days, and 2 days of snow on two mountain passes.

Buen Camino.

Wow!! That's not making me look forward to this early Spring Camino! But I am from Washington state. If you don't walk in rain, you don't walk! Maybe I should ditch my nice rain jacket and get the big Camino poncho that covers everything. That would eliminate the pack cover and rain jacket.
Buen Camino.

I forgo the added weight and hassle of an extra pair of limited use rain pants in favor of zip-off hiking shorts that are made of 100 % nylon. For four years now, I have been wearing successive pairs of REI's "Sahara Convertible Hiking Pant."

In fact, I just bought three more pair, but two inches shorter in the inseam this time. As I age, I am "shrinking" and the trouser hems had been dragging in the dirt on Camino:cool:. Plus, my weight varies:eek: and I need to have two or three pair in two different sizes to accommodate. and I tore a pair on a fence two Caminos ago.:( Living in South Florida when not in Spain, I find these are my daily "go to" pants as well.

If you are curious or interested, see them here: www.rei.com

IMHO, I've tried alternatives and they are the best. Among the unique features I cannot find anywhere, at any price, is a second (vertical) leg zip that allows you to remove your lower leg panels when they are mud caked, without removing your hiking boots. REI calls it the "no sit zip." They are available for both men & women.

When you end the walking day with muddy or wet & dirty leg bottoms, but clean uppers, just zip them off, wash the bottoms. They dry in 30 minutes, well enough to zip back on...

I found this to work as well as specialty rain pants, with less dead weight and hassle. The final point in favor of ditching the separate rain pants for walking is that your lower legs do not experience hypothermia. As long as you keep your extremities (hands, feet, head) and torso warm, you will be fine. I have walked hours upon hours with sodden lower legs and never had problems.

If I accept that I will be wet below the poncho I wear, from the knee down, all day, while I am walking, I can accept the rest of what the day rings. Besides, if the rain showers are on again, off again, the lower leg panels frequently dry while they are being used.;)

I hope this helps.
I remember you saying that you just zip off the lower legs of your pants and wash them. I did that last year on the Camino. Sometimes they were just so dusty. It saved a lot of drying time. I have two pairs of these pants that I used last year. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hey,
I did it this year same time, it rained a fair amount. At times lightly for an hour, and there were days of pounding spring rain. I brought mine and was thankful for the dryness and a pair of pants to wear on the muddy days, rain brings mud and there is a lot. I would take the low boot gaters as well. The other option is the get a nice pancho that fits like a jacket/cape. there about 50$, they were the best option for keeping dry. it worked for St James.( of course bring a wind and rain jacket)

The biggest thing is to make sure your rain gear is solid cause it can get cold out there. Take a shower with it.

Also, I had a week of not seeing anyone, pilgrims, and others had the opposite experiences. If you find yourself following a crowd, drop out for a day. Expect to walk long days with a few people but far from crowds. I never had an issue getting a bed or a room, in the middle of nowhere the rooms are cheap,25euro maybe.

when you get to sevilla head right to Cadiz for a day of transition,, blue seas, beaches, get your credential at the Hospital Mujeres next to the main cathredral. , train is about 30$, takes about 75 minutes. It is a great way to start the trip as that is the beginning of the roman road, the Via Augusta took the goods to seville. Take a day in cadiz and walk the first stage of the Via Augusta, it is a great wooded beach walk.

expect the concrete markers to change a few times and that if you haven't seen a marker on a straight road and you wonder if you have missed it, nope its just a flat long road with nowhere to go.

B careful coming out of sevilla with the gypsy fair and the walk through 3 miles or so of urban decay and desolation.

Have fun

Hi Wine and Faith,
Wooded beach walk ? Are you sure ? I walked that way in April last year, beach yes, woods no, and it might be an idea to get onto the road before the barracks or you will miss the footbridge over the rail line, check google earth.
Gypsy fair, urban decay and desolation really!!
Regards
George

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Definitely take rain wear. Spring can be pretty wet especially in Galicia. I had two days of incessant rain in late April. To be positive, it was great when it cleared.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Are you starting in Seville?
We will start in Seville. Do you know something that would be better? We're pretty open to whatever. we walked too fast on the Frances, we are going to slow down and enjoy it more this time.

We will start in Seville. Do you know something that would be better?
No, I was just wondering, since I didn't see if you said, and I might be starting in mid-March, too. Since you have over 6 weeks to walk, it should be a good place to start.

No, I was just wondering, since I didn't see if you said, and I might be starting in mid-March, too. Since you have over 6 weeks to walk, it should be a good place to start.
We will get into Madrid on March 22nd, we will take the train to Seville where we will the stay the night of the 22nd and 23rd to catch up on sleep, get over jet lag and see the Ciudad (see the extent of my Spanish?? I feel like I rushed my Camino Frances, I'm not going to make that mistake again. We will take our time and go with the flow. I'm coming from Seattle and Katy 's coming from Toronto. I refuse to over plan, you miss too many opportunities. We will have Camigas patches on our backpacks. My pack is a red Gregory. We would be happy to stroll a bit with you if you are there at that time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We will get into Madrid on March 22nd, we will take the train to Seville where we will the stay the night of the 22nd and 23rd to catch up on sleep, get over jet lag and see the Ciudad (see the extent of my Spanish?? I feel like I rushed my Camino Frances, I'm not going to make that mistake again. We will take our time and go with the flow. I'm coming from Seattle and Katy 's coming from Toronto. I refuse to over plan, you miss too many opportunities. We will have Camigas patches on our backpacks. My pack is a red Gregory. We would be happy to stroll a bit with you if you are there at that time.
I am a fair weather walker from the UK.
Having done the CF in stages over 3 years and the CP last year, I have decided to do the VDLP the same way. But I'm not sure which month to start. Perhaps late April or early May. Any advice would be welcomed.

We walked from Ourense last June and it rained very well, but more importantly the temperature dropped to 5 degrees C and it hailed. So I'd say be prepared. Wet is one thing but wet and cold? Good luck it is beautiful walking

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi! I hope to leave on the 18th of April from Sevilla. Buen Camino!

Hi Joodle

I am hoping to start from Seville on 22 or 23/3 too.... hoping for company too! I do sooooo hope to meet up with members of the forum walking around these dates! Sooooo glad to hear of people starting on these dates too...

Buen Camino

Ginette

Hi Joodle

I am hoping to start from Seville on 22 or 23/3 too.... hoping for company too! I do sooooo hope to meet up with members of the forum walking around these dates! Sooooo glad to hear of people starting on these dates too...

Buen Camino

Ginette
We will start the 23rd or the 24th of March. I have a bright red backpack with a camino arrow patch and a camigas patch. I have dark hair and my walking buddy has short white hair.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Seville is gorgeous (ex-resident)

Make sure you allow a few days there to soak up the atmosphere and practice your Spanish.

I recommend to stay in the centre (the casco antiguo, inside the old walls). Plenty of great pensions and AirBnb available also now.
Do not stay across the river in barrio Triana if you plan to start your camino from the Cathedral or you’ll have to back-track. FYI - the Sevillanos think that Triana is another ‘town’, not part of Sevilla ;) (friendly rivalry)

I trust you are now seeing the forecast for your first week or so. Looks like rain gear would be a good idea!! ;)

Hi

Buen Camino, everyone ! Unfortunately, I will not be walking the VdLP in March.......:(:( I put my house on the market and had a few buyers so have decided to move out of London.... so have to hunt for a home or will be on the street when I return from the Camino or my buyer could pull out of the sale!!

Have a great Camino, everyone!

Ginette

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back