• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Here's a reason to go in Finistere

Botaivica

Time of past OR future Camino
May - July 2016
SJPP - Santiago - Finisterra
May 2017
Caminho do Tejo
June 2017
Fatima - Santiago
In Finisterre I arrived around noon, I'm not standing in alberge, I continued walk to the lighthouse with a backpack on my back. The feeling of the end of the pilgrimage was strong. Spiritually, I experienced more than in Santiago.

Young pilgrim from Germany, she was already been in Finisterre, she told me that I need to come in the evening and look the sunset.

I believed her and about 8 pm once more I walked from alberge to the lighthouse. It was a little early but wait was worth it.

It was beautiful, indescribable, unforgettable. Pictures can not describe it, that feels, blessedness and glory.

There is a saying "See Rome and die". I think it's much better to say "See the sunset in Finisterre and die" :)

Attachments

• IMG_6954.JPG
    IMG_6954.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 179
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you reach Santiago de Compostela it is definitely a good idea to keep on walking to Finisterre.
Why? It is only a 3 day walk and it is a 3 days walk in quietness and loneliness. Arriving Finisterre is like achieving a new goal, this time not a spiritual, but a sportive goal. Try it out!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll agree with that and add a little bit more. If you have a fourth day, add Muxia into the mix. Many forum members (me included) think that Muxia is a more beautiful place than Finisterre, and you can see them both by just adding a day. Then you have the dilemma of figuring out whether to walk first to Muxia and then to Finisterre or first to Finisterre and then Muxia. I've done it both ways and for me, the best is -- Vilaserio (private Albergue) - Dumbria (4 **** municipal Albergue, paid for by the founder of Zara stores) - Muxia - Finisterre.

Though I prefer spending time in Muxia over the more touristy Finisterre, it seems more "proper" to me to end in Finsterre at the lighthouse, and the travel options back to Santiago are much better from Finisterre than Muxia.

Hope to be back next summer! Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you for this fine thread and the posters on replies. Just given me an idea of how I could spend a four or five days in Spain. Doing a non walking holiday abroad for a change this year but this could be an add-on to a two weeks in mainland Europe for this year. ( And we still get on Camino) Thank you.:)

Do you Know any details about I think it's called " Robins Nest" ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My feet were so sore (800kms) that I decided to stop walking at SDC, but I took a day trip by bus to Finisterre and walked to the lighthouse. A wonderful hot sunny day and a longer walk(!) than I expected. I took this picture - it's my favourite pic from my whole Camino. Human world, real world. A Taoist Camino.

Mike.
WEBSITE Camino Gallery 27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I walked, Santiago wasn't my goal. My goal was to walk all the way across Spain; from the French border to the End of the Earth. Unfortunately, although it was a beautiful sunny day when I arrived in Finisterre the clouds started rolling in around 5 pm, and there was no sunset to see. :(
But a few days later I went to Muxia by bus, and witnessed this beautiful sunset.
Muxia sunset.jpg

My avatar pic is also from Muxia. It is a beautiful coastline there.

I could not escape Santiago soon enough, too busy, too many tourists etc. The walk to Finisterre provided the peace and tranquillity I looked for. Forget the town , yes walk to the lighthouse and see the sunset but for me the breathtaking moment was arriving at the deserted Finisterre beach and looking out across the sea.

We took the bus back to Santiago and had a whole different reaction. Sunshine, blue sky and less crowded. A night off before the train journey home next day.

I regret we didn't have enough time to go to Muxia

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As we walk the Way, pass through the hills, fields, plains, also through vineyards and orchards, we are in touch with nature, we are part of this nature.

And at the end of the Way, nature gives us the best of themselves, for forgiveness and gratitude, it gives us a divine sunset.

Marvelously :)

Attachments

• IMG_6948.JPG
    IMG_6948.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
The three days I spent in Finisterre were the most calming and restful days I'd ever experienced. In fact, I meant to stay only one night there, but I felt such healing from my slow, solitary, and unburdened walks through the town and out to the lighthouse that I didn't want to leave. I had bused there from Santiago, not feeling up to three more days of walking; I needed restoration. Two of my favorite memories from the time there: on my first evening walk to the lighthouse, I carried a bottle of wine (opened and re-corked by my host at the inn), a crusty bread roll, and some cheese. Sitting on the rocks watching the sun set, I noticed a young man who was as quiet as I was (in contrast to other people there); I offered the bottle, the bread, and the cheese, and there we sat, me a 68-year-old woman from the U.S. and him a maybe 30-something man from Germany, enjoying a special kind of communion.
The other and much more significant event happened when I walked down to the bus station early on the fourth day. I had decided just that morning to take the 8:00 and not the 10:00 bus. Queuing up with others at the stop, I saw a young Austrian in a familiar-looking red jacket -- it was a person I had befriended on a bus ride (while skipping the meseta) and had traveled on foot the rest of the way, off and on, to Santiago. I hadn't seen him since then and assumed I never would. He was one of the very nicest people I know (a medical student at the time, now a full-fledged doctor). So we took the bus together to Santiago and had time for coffee and warm conversation at the end of the ride, and then kept in touch on facebook for a couple of years. I don't usually use the word "healing" about events, but that's the correct word in this case.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Finisterre I arrived around noon, I'm not standing in alberge, I continued walk to the lighthouse with a backpack on my back. The feeling of the end of the pilgrimage was strong. Spiritually, I experienced more than in Santiago.

Young pilgrim from Germany, she was already been in Finisterre, she told me that I need to come in the evening and look the sunset.

I believed her and about 8 pm once more I walked from alberge to the lighthouse. It was a little early but wait was worth it.

It was beautiful, indescribable, unforgettable. Pictures can not describe it, that feels, blessedness and glory.

There is a saying "See Rome and die". I think it's much better to say "See the sunset in Finisterre and die" :)
Couldn't agree more!

Pozdrav iz Ljubljane, Ivica!

"...But to have been,
This once, completely, even if only once:
To have been at one with the earth, seems beyond undoing."

Rainer Maria Rilke,
9th Duino Elegy
Thank you @mspath to bring Duino Elegy out. Not long ago when @timr visited Slovenia we went to the seaside and from the medieval castle high above Koper/Capodistria (Slovenia) and Trst/Trieste (Italy) we were able to see Devin/Duino castle in the distance. Years ago I was visiting the Duino with Rilke's slovenian translation - unforgettable. You should definitely go there :)

Thank you for this fine thread and the posters on replies. Just given me an idea of how I could spend a four or five days in Spain. Doing a non walking holiday abroad for a change this year but this could be an add-on to a two weeks in mainland Europe for this year. ( And we still get on Camino) Thank you.:)
Consider Camino Ingles which is also very beautiful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I could not escape Santiago soon enough, too busy, too many tourists etc. The walk to Finisterre provided the peace and tranquillity I looked for. Forget the town , yes walk to the lighthouse and see the sunset but for me the breathtaking moment was arriving at the deserted Finisterre beach and looking out across the sea.

We took the bus back to Santiago and had a whole different reaction. Sunshine, blue sky and less crowded. A night off before the train journey home next day.

I regret we didn't have enough time to go to Muxia
When I arrived at Finistere beach after 18 hot dry hot days covering 500 km I took off my backpack onto the beach, togged and went straight in to join some locals for a refreshing swim. I swam out and then turned on my back to see a large black cloud above me. The heavens opened suddenly and my pack and clothes got soaked on the beach--I was already wet. I then went to the albergue to dry out and did get to see the sunset at the Lighthouse. On the Camino always be prepared for the unexpected

The three days I spent in Finisterre were the most calming and restful days I'd ever experienced. In fact, I meant to stay only one night there, but I felt such healing from my slow, solitary, and unburdened walks through the town and out to the lighthouse that I didn't want to leave. I had bused there from Santiago, not feeling up to three more days of walking; I needed restoration. Two of my favorite memories from the time there: on my first evening walk to the lighthouse, I carried a bottle of wine (opened and re-corked by my host at the inn), a crusty bread roll, and some cheese. Sitting on the rocks watching the sun set, I noticed a young man who was as quiet as I was (in contrast to other people there); I offered the bottle, the bread, and the cheese, and there we sat, me a 68-year-old woman from the U.S. and him a maybe 30-something man from Germany, enjoying a special kind of communion.
The other and much more significant event happened when I walked down to the bus station early on the fourth day. I had decided just that morning to take the 8:00 and not the 10:00 bus. Queuing up with others at the stop, I saw a young Austrian in a familiar-looking red jacket -- it was a person I had befriended on a bus ride (while skipping the meseta) and had traveled on foot the rest of the way, off and on, to Santiago. I hadn't seen him since then and assumed I never would. He was one of the very nicest people I know (a medical student at the time, now a full-fledged doctor). So we took the bus together to Santiago and had time for coffee and warm conversation at the end of the ride, and then kept in touch on facebook for a couple of years. I don't usually use the word "healing" about events, but that's the correct word in this case.
Hi Meredith1 :)

I'm not describing all, but I made the same :)

I bought a bottle of red wine and a packet of cheese with six different kinds of cheese, plastic cup and cigar. I shared it with a young German woman which pointed me at sunset.

Our parting was very touching :cool:

t6bx0U0IYx056rygKQbYY8yS30AE8-SkYlPTySe2SH0,sXf16k9FZmjsh32_1fNsUa5Dos5wQ0V_0VfDueHBwH4.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Consider Camino Ingles which is also very beautiful.
Hi @ KinkyOne,
Yes a beautiful camino did it in 2014 with peregrino b we loved it. Would be nice to see Anthony at (Meson Nova?spelling?) again but not this year. Thought we might just spend a few days together walking to Finisterre and Muxia and we wondered about the retreat I think it is called "Robins Nest", do you know much about it? Is it still open?

b

Hi @ KinkyOne,
Yes a beautiful camino did it in 2014 with peregrino b we loved it. Would be nice to see Anthony at (Meson Nova?spelling?) again but not this year. Thought we might just spend a few days together walking to Finisterre and Muxia and we wondered about the retreat I think it is called "Robins Nest", do you know much about it? Is it still open?

b
Robins Nest doesn't rings a bell, sorry...

Hi Meredith1 :)

I'm not describing all, but I made the same :)

I bought a bottle of red wine and a packet of cheese with six different kinds of cheese, plastic cup and cigar. I shared it with a young German woman which pointed me at sunset.

Our parting was very touching :cool:

View attachment 30719

How nice - thank you for your comment and for the picture taken of the very spot where I sat with my newly met acquaintance. Isn't it lovely to have such a memory!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Muxia! Beautiful as Fisterra is, it just doesn't seem like 'the end' like Muxia does. Muxia is much more tranquil, less touristic, and simply feels like 'beyond the beyond' - just the right place to end a camino.

Last edited:
How nice - thank you for your comment and for the picture taken of the very spot where I sat with my newly met acquaintance. Isn't it lovely to have such a memory!
Yes Meredith1, nice memory :cool:

089.jpg

Sitting in Melide in 2008 , tired after big day, in the famous rester. joined by Harley Davidson riders who were all Spanish.
Where are you going to finish they ask after a few reds ?
Maybe Fisterra we say
Good , you must go past SDC but we regard Muxia as OUR finish,
There guys were in their 60's
We went to both,Fisterra first then Muxia .................but since
Have finished the Portuguese from Porto/ Notre twice and Madrid camino's and all ended in Muxia
Its the serenity and sitting on those rocks outside the church is something that can't be explained.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The sunsets are breathtakingly beautiful both at the lighthouse and at the beach. I remember them with great peace and joy still - 18 months later.

its are

Hi @ KinkyOne,

b
It might be Fox House

When I walked, Santiago wasn't my goal. My goal was to walk all the way across Spain; from the French border to the End of the Earth.
Ditto!
I could not escape Santiago soon enough, too busy, too many tourists etc. The walk to Finisterre provided the peace and tranquillity I looked for.
Ditto!

It rained buckets and I was shrouded in fog the entire walk from Finisterre to Muxia. Fortunately the sky cleared in the early evening and I got this lovely foto.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I am planning to travel at the same time, next Spring. How was the weather? The crowd? Mud? Did you use a bag or sleep sack?

Too much liquid refreshment is another reason "to go in Finisterre", :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Margaret that is it. By the way I hope you are well on the way to recovery now after your nasty fall ( I hope I have that information correct) You have been a real inspiration to me as a Septuagenarian,
to place one foot in front of the other and just keep walking. Get well soon and have a wonderful Christmas. That goes for all the other Posters on the forum too!!

We bussed to Finesterre and then walked to Muxia. Liked Finesterre a lot but it was very overcast. We loved Muxia and had a beautiful sunset there. I highly recommend both if you have time. So glad we saw both places. I hope to get back one day.

Hi @ KinkyOne,

b
I haven't heard of Robin's Nest & couldn't find anything after googling - but is it possible you might be interested in The Little Fox House (http://www.thelittlefoxhouse.com/)? I don't know it personally, but I read quite a few posts about it around the time I was on my camino (Sept/Oct 2012). A woman I shared a taxi with to SJdPP (who bicycled her camino!) stayed there for a couple of days - said in an e-mail how lovely it was, very supportive, friendly. I had thought it closed down, but apparently not.

I haven't heard of Robin's Nest & couldn't find anything after googling - but is it possible you might be interested in The Little Fox House (http://www.thelittlefoxhouse.com/)? lovely it was, very supportive, friendly. I had thought it closed down, but apparently not.
Well, I only just now see that several others had offered Fox House as a possibility -- great minds, and all that. Reading some of the comments posted on its site, I see the one from Pat, Yonkers, NY, who is the woman I met. ;)

I am planning to travel at the same time, next Spring. How was the weather? The crowd? Mud? Did you use a bag or sleep sack?
Hi Oregon's Mark :)
it's good timing for pilgrimage and the weather was OK. Rain was on the first day in France, and only two day in Spanish. Mud in the Pyrenees, but I went to Valcarlos, no crowds to Sarria.

and by the way, another image :cool:

h9HLRGMnbX48y0gHCs53DVZK_5-B8w6byLjUUUJCu3E.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back