• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Here's everything for our June Camino

DowtyCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
May-Jn2014
May-Jn 2017
VF Jl-O 2021
Mar-My 2023
  1. Deuter - 50L ACT-Lite Backpack
  2. Clothesline
  3. Toilet paper
  4. Sleeping Liner (instead of a sleeping bag)
  5. Sheet of silk (multi purpose) - pillowcase
  6. 4 Clothes pins
  7. Disc of rubber (sink stopper)
  8. Microfiber towel - cut down in size and sewn with a VT label thanks to Mrs Tina Smith!
  9. Pack cover
  10. Camera Battery Charger
  11. Duel USB outlet converter
  12. iPhone5
  13. Spare Battery phone/camera
  14. iPhone charger cord
  15. Spare Batter charge cord
  16. Sony RX100ii Camera
  17. 3 Half Gallon Zip Lock baggies
  18. 4 Quart Zip Lock baggies
  19. 2 Mini Bungee cords
  20. DryLok Bag
  21. 2 Rubber Bands
  22. Passport
  23. Credit Card
  24. Debit Card
  25. Microfiber Lens cleaner
  26. Sandals
  27. Merrell hiking boots
  28. 1sq yd bubble wrap
  29. Flashlight
  30. Marmot Rainjacket
  31. 2 pair quickdry shorts
  32. 4 pair wool socks
  33. 2 pair merino wool underwear
  34. 1 Trekking pole
  35. 2 Quickdry short sleeve shirts and 1 long sleeve shirt
  36. Tilley Hat
  37. Microfiber cloth
  38. Toiletries (Toothbrush, toothpaste, antiperspirant, medicine)
  39. Sunblock
  40. MiniTripod
  41. Pocketknife
  42. S-hook
  43. Spork
  44. 4 Tiewraps and a strip of Velcro
  45. Zip-off legs for shorts
  46. Fleece jacket
  47. Write-in-the rain journal w/Camino Credential inside
  48. Mesh multipurpose bag for laundry, groceries, etc.
Total weight 17.2lbs (7.8kg)
Add 2L of H2O (4lbs/2kg) and remove the min possible that I'll be wearing and you get the max I'll have on my back at any one time = 18.3lbs (8.29kg)
I still have some luxuries (phone/camera/extra battery/journal) but I'm OK with that weight.

So there you have it folks. Supplies for 5-1/2 weeks on the trail.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great list and a good weight. The Iphone will also double as a camera if you want to pare a little more off the list. I would also recommend two Trekking poles, liner socks and wet gear, ie rain pants.
Have a safe and enjoyable Camino.
Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The sheet of silk for a pillow case is a great dea. I hated those manky pillows.

49. Cork screw

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
  2. Clothesline
  3. Toilet paper
  6. 4 Clothes pins
  8. Microfiber towel - cut down in size and sewn with a VT label thanks to Mrs Tina Smith!
  9. Pack cover
  12. iPhone5
  14. iPhone charger cord
  16. Sony RX100ii Camera
  19. 2 Mini Bungee cords
  20. DryLok Bag
  21. 2 Rubber Bands
  22. Passport
  23. Credit Card
  24. Debit Card
  26. Sandals
  27. Merrell hiking boots
  28. 1sq yd bubble wrap
  29. Flashlight
  30. Marmot Rainjacket
  32. 4 pair wool socks
  34. 1 Trekking pole
  36. Tilley Hat
  37. Microfiber cloth
  39. Sunblock
  40. MiniTripod
  41. Pocketknife
  42. S-hook
  43. Spork
  46. Fleece jacket
Add 2L of H2O (4lbs/2kg) and remove the min possible that I'll be wearing and you get the max I'll have on my back at any one time = 18.3lbs (8.29kg)
I still have some luxuries (phone/camera/extra battery/journal) but I'm OK with that weight.

What about Vaseline for feet a necessity

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What about Vaseline for feet a necessity

I've never done the vaseline bit myself. I may get some on the way. I've done all my prepatory walks without, but there is nothing like the day after day...so I'm told.

2. Clothesline
  3. Toilet paper
  6. 4 Clothes pins
  9. Pack cover
  12. iPhone5
  14. iPhone charger cord
  16. Sony RX100ii Camera
  19. 2 Mini Bungee cords
  20. DryLok Bag
  21. 2 Rubber Bands
  22. Passport
  23. Credit Card
  24. Debit Card
  26. Sandals
  27. Merrell hiking boots
  28. 1sq yd bubble wrap
  29. Flashlight
  30. Marmot Rainjacket
  32. 4 pair wool socks
  34. 1 Trekking pole
  36. Tilley Hat
  37. Microfiber cloth
  39. Sunblock
  40. MiniTripod
  41. Pocketknife
  42. S-hook
  43. Spork
  46. Fleece jacket

When are you leaving and where are you walking from. I leave on Monday and begin walking on Thursday. My pack is about 7 kg for 6 weeks so quite happy with that.

you don't seem to have a first aid kit nor a small sewing kit ..

... and what is 28 for?

I'm travelling with my wife. I have the camera goo and she's carrying the First Aide kit and sewing kit. Well spotted!
As was mentioned already, the bubble wrap is multi-function. To use to sit on. I also loathe the idea of another set of shoes for the showers. I thought if I ever have a problem with standing in one of the showers barefooted (unlikely) I could spread the bubblewrap on the floor of the shower. In an emergency it also makes a great insulator if stuffed under your jacket....and at .02kg you can't really complain.

That said...I'm a complete newby to the Camino and all credit goes to this forum for the great ideas for weight reduction and the primary concept of multifunction items.
Best piece of advice someone quoted was that 1/2 the weight of a newby's pack it typically "fear". "What if" weighs a ton.

We leave on Sunday for France. Between now and then I have to get my youngest daughter graduated from High School. ....so it is going to be a busy weekend. :)

Last question for my friends on this forum:

Laundry detergent for washing clothes. I'm sure it is for sale along the way, but do you typically bring any with you or borrow/share along the way? I wouldn't expect so, but thought it was worth the price of the question.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When are you leaving and where are you walking from. I leave on Monday and begin walking on Thursday. My pack is about 7 kg for 6 weeks so quite happy with that.

Issy,
We leave from SJPP on Tuesday morning if all of our flights go through, or Wednesday morning if not. Sounds like we will be just a day ahead of you. Congrats on 7kg. Nicely done. My bride, Allison is 5.8kg w/o water so she's done nicely as well. Being only a day or two apart we're pretty likely to run (walk) into each other. Look for the adorable, madly-in-love 50yr old couple celebrating their 25th anniversary together. :)
Our daughter, Isabel, graduates High School here in North Carolina tomorrow (Saturday the 24thMay). Based on your post I think you might agree she has a great name!

Issy,
We leave from SJPP on Tuesday morning if all of our flights go through, or Wednesday morning if not. Sounds like we will be just a day ahead of you. Congrats on 7kg. Nicely done. My bride, Allison is 5.8kg w/o water so she's done nicely as well. Being only a day or two apart we're pretty likely to run (walk) into each other. Look for the adorable, madly-in-love 50yr old couple celebrating their 25th anniversary together. :)
Our daughter, Isabel, graduates High School here in North Carolina tomorrow (Saturday the 24thMay). Based on your post I think you might agree she has a great name!
Your daughter sure does have a great name. I am an Isobel. I am arriving in Roncesvalles on Wed night and leaving on Thursday morning. I am taking the first few days slowly till I get my fitness up and recover from the long flights from Australia.
I hope we get to meet up. Safe travels

Your daughter sure does have a great name. I am an Isobel. I am arriving in Roncesvalles on Wed night and leaving on Thursday morning. I am taking the first few days slowly till I get my fitness up and recover from the long flights from Australia.
I hope we get to meet up. Safe travels
BTW....love the picture of the elephants. FUN.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
you don't seem to have a first aid kit nor a small sewing kit ..

... and what is 28 for?
Agree with David, a first aid kit with bandaids etc., Compeeds, cold meds which you are accustomed to using, Advil/Tylenol and Icy Hot.
My bet is the bubble wraps is going to be used early in the morning to drive other people nuts in the albergue, much better idea for making noise than the traditional plastic shopping bag. :eek:

I personally do not think it is necessary to carry 2 litres of water EVERY day. Depends on the weather, the difficulty of the track and the distance to the next water point. I do not use fountains unless water is guaranteed, and normally fill at a bar ( but purchase something); I have only ever carried 2 x 600ml bottles. Water is one of the heaviest things you carry.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm travelling with my wife. I have the camera goo and she's carrying the First Aide kit and sewing kit. Well spotted!
As was mentioned already, the bubble wrap is multi-function. To use to sit on. I also loathe the idea of another set of shoes for the showers. I thought if I ever have a problem with standing in one of the showers barefooted (unlikely) I could spread the bubblewrap on the floor of the shower. In an emergency it also makes a great insulator if stuffed under your jacket....and at .02kg you can't really complain.

That said...I'm a complete newby to the Camino and all credit goes to this forum for the great ideas for weight reduction and the primary concept of multifunction items.
Best piece of advice someone quoted was that 1/2 the weight of a newby's pack it typically "fear". "What if" weighs a ton.

We leave on Sunday for France. Between now and then I have to get my youngest daughter graduated from High School. ....so it is going to be a busy weekend. :)

Laundry detergent for washing clothes. I'm sure it is for sale along the way, but do you typically bring any with you or borrow/share along the way? I wouldn't expect so, but thought it was worth the price of the question.

Believe me, a cheap set of rubber sandals to wear in the showers is well worth bringing. They don't weigh much, dry fast, you can keep them in an outer pouch on the backpack and throw them in a trash bin in Santiago. You don't want to get a case of foot fungus on the Camino.

Believe me, a cheap set of rubber sandals to wear in the showers is well worth bringing. They don't weigh much, dry fast, you can keep them in an outer pouch on the backpack and throw them in a trash bin in Santiago. You don't want to get a case of foot fungus on the Camino.

I agree, try using that sheet of bubble wrap in your shower at home first, I bet it just ends up a wet mess, I sure wouldn't want to walk around any albergue bare footed, almost all albergues have you leave your shoes at the entrance to begin with, what else are you going to walk in at the end of the day, your socks?

After I ran out of the sliver of Fels Naptha I brought with me for hand washing my clothes, I purchased Chimbo soap at a grocery store and liked it even better! I sliced off about a quarter of the bar and gave the rest to other dirty pilgrims. I didn't use it for my hair or body because it seemed much too harsh for that. Perfect for muddy pants though. Chimbo.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A pair of flip flops are very handy for the shower. I simply tied them onto the side of my pack using the draw cord on the side. I actually took two pairs, one for the shower and one to walk around in after the walk. Some people had those sandals that have been recommended on here. Flip flops are very light.
I took washing tablets with me but I never used them and they were heavy. Some people recommend soap flakes. We just used the facilities along the way and they were quite cheap. With the two of you, you can do the one wash. Sometimes I was tired when I arrived and wanted to sit down or eat, not go and do a wash but others may have enjoyed doing it.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Great list and a good weight. The Iphone will also double as a camera if you want to pare a little more off the list. I would also recommend two Trekking poles, liner socks and wet gear, ie rain pants.
Have a safe and enjoyable Camino.
Buen Camino.
Yes get 2 poles. You will need them for the Gently Rolling Hills of Spain (wink wink).

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.