• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Here's to life's challenges! First Camino, starting May 4

jac52

Time of past OR future Camino
French route (2019)
Introducing myself - a reasonably fit, older hiker doing the Camino for the first time. I'll be starting off in St. Jean May 4th and hope to go the whole way. As I get older I find myself beginning to listen to the little internal whispers (and louder statements by external society) saying, "You can't do that at your age!" So this is to challenge myself and prove that age doesn't matter. I'm very encouraged to see the number of pilgrims 60+, and hope to meet lots of people on the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome.
Take your time. You will learn a lot about your self and your body’s limits on the Caminos you walk. Listen to what your body tells you and respond accordingly. Tired? Stop. Hurting? Stop. Hungry? You get the picture.
You’ll get there. Maybe not as quickly as you would if you were 19, but sound.
I’m in my 60’s and only now learning I’m not 19. My body told me.

All the best, and buen Camino.
Paul

Never really understood what age has to do with it. It is about health and fitness not age. Moreover, routes like the CF give plenty of options to walk as far or as little as you want each day, so walk how you want and enjoy the experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Introducing myself - a reasonably fit, older hiker doing the Camino for the first time. I'll be starting off in St. Jean May 4th and hope to go the whole way. As I get older I find myself beginning to listen to the little internal whispers (and louder statements by external society) saying, "You can't do that at your age!" So this is to challenge myself and prove that age doesn't matter. I'm very encouraged to see the number of pilgrims 60+, and hope to meet lots of people on the way.
Hi jac52, I’m 60 and hoping to walk the full CF in May too, I haven’t booked any flights as I’m battling shingles at present so I’ll see how I go. I intend to take as long as I want and not make it a ‘get there asap’ hike. I certainly hope we meet up.

My husband & I will begin our first Camino from SJPP on May 5th. We are also in the 60ish age group. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I walked the Camino Frances last year, starting late April ending early June. 40 days. Neither of us in bad shape but not super fit either. We did try to walk nearly every day for a couple months before leaving. We were both age 67. No problems really. We carried our packs all the way. A fantastic experience, we are talking about doing it again when we are 70. As many say here, remember, it is not a race though for many it seems to be. Have a wonderful time. Really, it all comes together when you get there. Most are in the same boat as far as planning etc. Just go, it works!

Walked my Caminos (4) at 65+. Just booked flight for my fifth (VDLP). I’ve never been stronger. I’m not reckless. I don’t run down hills. I use walking sticks. I am prepared for all weather, plan ahead, enjoy the lovely people, food and wine along the way. Turns out I’m a fast walker but not adverse to taking the time to smell the roses. It’s about the journey.
Buen Camino.

I was 74 on my first Camino Francés, listened to my body, tried to have courage and made it. Now going on 76 I plan on venturing out on the Primitivo in May. Wish you all the best. Aside from injuries, maybe the most important thing is desire to do it and belief you can. Setting out with hope!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you watched the movie called EDIE - it's not camino related but about an older lady who climbs a mountain - inspiring x

My size 13 foot felt great and blister free in my size 14 Merrel trail runner shoes, and size 14 keen sandals (which I switched back and forth, trying to decide which I liked best- it was a tie). Merino wool socks- first time user and loved them. I rubbed Vaseline on feet every morning. More than 2 of anything is probably too many. Wish I had started at 220 pounds instead of 235 - but ended up at 220 feeling great. Discover the joy of drinking a 'clara' . It's half beer, half carbonated lemon juice - great thirst quencher and only 2% alcohol. Also, café con leche every morning, and vino tinto with dinner. Albergues with disposable paper sheet on mattress and disposable paper pillow cover - never used my inflatable pillow. Used sleeping bag liner (1/2 pound vs 2 pound sleeping bag) and rarely used house supplied blanket. 10 euro "pelegrino menu" dinner always filled me up. I used 2 hiking poles, great for going up or down hills. Banana every morning- no foot or leg cramps for 6 weeks. Walking down hills- I sat back a bit and took short choppy steps- you feel it in your thighs at first, but easy on knees, more stable, and actually quicker. Going again in Sept. '19 at age 69. Just do it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My size 13 foot felt great and blister free in my size 14 Merrel trail runner shoes, and size 14 keen sandals (which I switched back and forth, trying to decide which I liked best- it was a tie). Merino wool socks- first time user and loved them. I rubbed Vaseline on feet every morning. More than 2 of anything is probably too many. Wish I had started at 220 pounds instead of 235 - but ended up at 220 feeling great. Discover the joy of drinking a 'clara' . It's half beer, half carbonated lemon juice - great thirst quencher and only 2% alcohol. Also, café con leche every morning, and vino tinto with dinner. Albergues with disposable paper sheet on mattress and disposable paper pillow cover - never used my inflatable pillow. Used sleeping bag liner (1/2 pound vs 2 pound sleeping bag) and rarely used house supplied blanket. 10 euro "pelegrino menu" dinner always filled me up. I used 2 hiking poles, great for going up or down hills. Banana every morning- no foot or leg cramps for 6 weeks. Walking down hills- I sat back a bit and took short choppy steps- you feel it in your thighs at first, but easy on knees, more stable, and actually quicker. Going again in Sept. '19 at age 69. Just do it!
Thanks for the great tips...I've written them down!

I will continue to walk Caminos till I can't. At 67 my pace is a little slower. I plan on walking the Portuguese central next October. In 2020 when my wife retires we are talking about going to Jerusalem and then to Rome and walk to Santiago from Rome.
Wow. My husband's Italian, and he can't quite see why I'm doing the Camino. Maybe I can get him inerested in the Italian route some day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife and I walked the Camino Frances last year, starting late April ending early June. 40 days. Neither of us in bad shape but not super fit either. We did try to walk nearly every day for a couple months before leaving. We were both age 67. No problems really. We carried our packs all the way. A fantastic experience, we are talking about doing it again when we are 70. As many say here, remember, it is not a race though for many it seems to be. Have a wonderful time. Really, it all comes together when you get there. Most are in the same boat as far as planning etc. Just go, it works!
Did you start at St. Jean? I'm trying to gauge just how hard those first couple of days are. (You really never can tell from posts because they differ so greatly.) I wasn't going to - because I found it tough hiking the Machu Piccu trail the first day, hiking up a mountain and carrying a backpack - but have changed my mind and booked St. Jean and Orisson.

I’m not sure if this is of any help, a family medico member who has walked the CF suggested I take it easy for the first 7-10 days. I have no time constraints and have no intention of breaking any land speed records and I don’t really want to walk from SJPdP to Ron in one day. I’m free wheeling with dates so it’s hard to book into Orrisson. A kind person on here suggested a transport company that can collect you from a couple of places on the Pyrenees, return you to St Jean and then deliver you back to that point the next day.
https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.