• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi all - New Pilgrim

TomUK

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hi all,

I'm thankful for finding this forum and have spent the past 2 days going through dozens of threads and helping myself to the great tips and advice on offer.

I first heard of the Camino de Santiago only yesterday!
I'm a big Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen fan and decided to watch 'The Way' which immediately inspired me to also complete this pilgrimage for my own personal reasons.

Therefore, I am totally new to this and already extremely excited.

I'm really hoping to start this adventure in September this year, the only issue for me is getting the time off work.

So, to sign off, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's posted on these forums, I've spent a lot of time reading your tips and advice and will continue to do so for the next few months.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,

I'm thankful for finding this forum and have spent the past 2 days going through dozens of threads and helping myself to the great tips and advice on offer.

I first heard of the Camino de Santiago only yesterday!
I'm a big Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen fan and decided to watch 'The Way' which immediately inspired me to also complete this pilgrimage for my own personal reasons.

Therefore, I am totally new to this and already extremely excited.

I'm really hoping to start this adventure in September this year, the only issue for me is getting the time off work.

So, to sign off, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that's posted on these forums, I've spent a lot of time reading your tips and advice and will continue to do so for the next few months.

Tom
Hy Tom , welcome to the forum . Lots off information here. I wish you happy planning and a Buen Camino . Peter.

Be careful Tom. The Camino can be very, very addictive! I should know, I am a Caminolic. Great that you have been enjoying your research and have now dipped your toe into the conversations. Ask away, as you no doubt already know there will be many wiling to answer. You already will have gathered this but anyway, priorities. Boots and socks, Pack and walking first. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hy Tom , welcome to the forum . Lots off information here. I wish you happy planning and a Buen Camino . Peter.

Thank's very much!

Be careful Tom. The Camino can be very, very addictive! I should know, I am a Caminolic. Great that you have been enjoying your research and have now dipped your toe into the conversations. Ask away, as you no doubt already know there will be many wiling to answer. You already will have gathered this but anyway, priorities. Boots and socks, Pack and walking first. Buen Camino.

Haha, I can imagine it being addictive. I've spent a couple of years travelling around the world but now back in the 9-5 office life.. The travel bug itch is getting worse by the day!

I'll be sure to put some money into a good pair of boots and a few decent socks.
I'm currently debating whether to get a decent pair of trail-runners or hiking boots, both have their for/against's. What would you suggest?

Horses for courses. As you will find everyone is different. I assume that we are talking the Frances and in September you won't be facing some of the thick boot sucking mud of spring which obviously can affect choice.

Caminolic :) ... It ought to be added to Oxford dictionary @Al the optimist..
I am definitely one as well

Welcome @TomUK
You might find a summary of tips useful (link in my signature)
In my (very personal) opinion boots are overall better solution... But footwear is a personal choice
Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are most welcome Tom :) You will love the Camino!

One caveat must be stated here...the Camino Frances depicted in the film "The Way" IS the same as in reality. HOWEVER, and these are key points:
  1. The movie covers a pilgrimage from late September through early November. It is accurate for the time of year;
  2. The locations and sequences in the movie are NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT. Literary license was liberally taken; and most importantly,
  3. It is significantly more difficult than the film makes it appear, but not overly so.
  4. I have personally NEVER met anyone anywhere along the Camino on my two pilgrimages along this route remotely like the character "Ramon...";)
On my first Camino in 2013 I met too many pilgrims from all over the world, of varied ages and physical condition, on the Frances whose only knowledge of the Camino came from the film. They geared up, showed up, and typically lasted perhaps a week before throwing in the proverbial towel. Many, many comments like: "this is way harder than the movie," or "this is not where the movie shows it," or "it did not look this steep in the movie" were heard.

Well, any person in reasonably fit health, who has proper hiking boots or shoes, and can climb several stair runs or sports stadium bleacher seating, whilst carrying a rucksack with 10 kilos in it can do the Camino Frances. EVERYTHING between the first and last of about one million steps from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela can be managed and coped with. Millions of pilgrims have been doing this for over 1200 YEARS. With the right mental outlook, nearly anyone can accomplish this pilgrimage.

I have personally encountered pilgrims in manual wheelchairs, both self-propelled and being pushed; blind pilgrims tethered to sighted persons; and stroke survivors dragging one bad leg behind each step with the one good leg. In fact, there is one famous man (who I shall not name) I had the privilege of meeting in 2013, who I saw two consecutive years, who walked from Strasbourg, France to St. Jean Pied de Port and THEN onward to Santiago de Compostela! both years, he brought me to tears just seeing him.

There are also frequently, pilgrims on crutches, pilgrims with artificial limbs, etc. I have encountered pilgrims lugging CPAP machines, iced insulin, and special foods for their diets. Many of us have also seen parents with infants in carry slings and harnesses, toddlers in prams (jogging strollers), and being hand-carried by adults. I have seem families with young children of 6 or 7 years walking with a parent. Each child carries a small, bookbag sized backpack / rucksack. In 2o14 I met a woman carrying a month-old infant in her arms. She stated that she had been planning this Camino for years, and she was not about to let pregnancy or having a baby interrupt those plans.

Basically, there are NO obstacles or limitations that cannot be overcome if one has the will. Just make basic preparations and think before you start. Everything else can be sorted along the way.

The best source of information at least IMHO is this forum. You can research the appropriate gear to consider in this forum. You can learn about virtually EVERY aspect of doing a Camino here as well. Finally, if you need to know something you cannot find using the search function at the top of this page, just post the question. You WILL get many answers from people who have been there and done that. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you hesitate to ask.

The internet writ large, can be a very good place for gathering information. However, it must all be considered carefully and in the appropriate context. The last source of information would be a commercial film or a travel program about the program. Consider that there are reasons why film (analog and digital) is edited before it is shown in final form.

I hope this helps. Those of us who are addicted to this avocation, salute you. We look forward to making your acquaintance along The Way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One caveat must be stated here...the Camino Frances depicted in the film "The Way" IS the same as in reality. HOWEVER, and these are key points:
  1. The movie covers a pilgrimage from late September through early November. It is accurate for the time of year;
  2. The locations and sequences in the movie are NOT ENTIRELY CORRECT. Literary license was liberally taken; and most importantly,
  3. It is significantly more difficult than the film makes it appear, but not overly so.
  4. I have personally NEVER met anyone anywhere along the Camino on my two pilgrimages along this route remotely like the character "Ramon...";)
On my first Camino in 2013 I met too many pilgrims from all over the world, of varied ages and physical condition, on the Frances whose only knowledge of the Camino came from the film. They geared up, showed up, and typically lasted perhaps a week before throwing in the proverbial towel. Many, many comments like: "this is way harder than the movie," or "this is not where the movie shows it," or "it did not look this steep in the movie" were heard.

Well, any person in reasonably fit health, who has proper hiking boots or shoes, and can climb several stair runs or sports stadium bleacher seating, whilst carrying a rucksack with 10 kilos in it can do the Camino Frances. EVERYTHING between the first and last of about one million steps from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela can be managed and coped with. Millions of pilgrims have been doing this for over 1200 YEARS. With the right mental outlook, nearly anyone can accomplish this pilgrimage.

I have personally encountered pilgrims in manual wheelchairs, both self-propelled and being pushed; blind pilgrims tethered to sighted persons; and stroke survivors dragging one bad leg behind each step with the one good leg. In fact, there is one famous man (who I shall not name) I had the privilege of meeting in 2013, who I saw two consecutive years, who walked from Strasbourg, France to St. Jean Pied de Port and THEN onward to Santiago de Compostela! both years, he brought me to tears just seeing him.

There are also frequently, pilgrims on crutches, pilgrims with artificial limbs, etc. I have encountered pilgrims lugging CPAP machines, iced insulin, and special foods for their diets. Many of us have also seen parents with infants in carry slings and harnesses, toddlers in prams (jogging strollers), and being hand-carried by adults. I have seem families with young children of 6 or 7 years walking with a parent. Each child carries a small, bookbag sized backpack / rucksack. In 2o14 I met a woman carrying a month-old infant in her arms. She stated that she had been planning this Camino for years, and she was not about to let pregnancy or having a baby interrupt those plans.

Basically, there are NO obstacles or limitations that cannot be overcome if one has the will. Just make basic preparations and think before you start. Everything else can be sorted along the way.

The best source of information at least IMHO is this forum. You can research the appropriate gear to consider in this forum. You can learn about virtually EVERY aspect of doing a Camino here as well. Finally, if you need to know something you cannot find using the search function at the top of this page, just post the question. You WILL get many answers from people who have been there and done that. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you hesitate to ask.

The internet writ large, can be a very good place for gathering information. However, it must all be considered carefully and in the appropriate context. The last source of information would be a commercial film or a travel program about the program. Consider that there are reasons why film (analog and digital) is edited before it is shown in final form.

I hope this helps. Those of us who are addicted to this avocation, salute you. We look forward to making your acquaintance along The Way.
Hi T2,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this, it's very nuch appreciated.
Believe me, I'm not going into this will Hollywood tinted spectacles, I know it will be an extremely arduous, yet rewarding adventure.

Nothing a stubbornly determined, strapping young lad can't push himself to finish!

Thanks again, I'll be reading these forums with interest in the months to come.

Thank's very much!

Haha, I can imagine it being addictive. I've spent a couple of years travelling around the world but now back in the 9-5 office life.. The travel bug itch is getting worse by the day!

I'll be sure to put some money into a good pair of boots and a few decent socks.
I'm currently debating whether to get a decent pair of trail-runners or hiking boots, both have their for/against's. What would you suggest?
Hey Tom,
Lucky you're in the UK - you have access to cheap shoes. I'm in Australia and bought my Camino shoes (Salomon's) from Activinstinct.com for half the price they are here. It's my third pair of Salomon's - highly recommended. Socks wise, everyone recommends Bridgedales, and I have to say after doing our practice walks, they are fantastic. After walking 20kms in the Aussie heat, I take off my sock liners and socks, and neither are wet! Amazing.
PS - I start my first Camino in May this year with my wife - I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Buen Camino.

Hey Tom,
Lucky you're in the UK - you have access to cheap shoes. I'm in Australia and bought my Camino shoes (Salomon's) from Activinstinct.com for half the price they are here. It's my third pair of Salomon's - highly recommended. Socks wise, everyone recommends Bridgedales, and I have to say after doing our practice walks, they are fantastic. After walking 20kms in the Aussie heat, I take off my sock liners and socks, and neither are wet! Amazing.
PS - I start my first Camino in May this year with my wife - I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Buen Camino.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for getting in touch.

I've heard that the Salomon's are the way to go. I'm after a trail/hiker shoe/trainer hybrid which it looks like they sell.
I'll be looking into as much quick-dry gear as I can so all recommendations are welcome!
Do keep me updated!
Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tom, it is worth going to somewhere that has a walking slope to try the boots out on. This helps you see if your toes hit the toe-box. I have always bought footwear from my local Cotswold Outdoor shop. The first pair caused a hot spot after a while training and they stretched that point for me and then it was fine. Do try the boots with the socks you intend to wear. Personally I use Bridgedale Coolmax inners and Smartwool outers but everyone finds out what is right for them. Things will probably dry OK in early September, but this may well not be the situation into October.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for getting in touch.

I've heard that the Salomon's are the way to go. I'm after a trail/hiker shoe/trainer hybrid which it looks like they sell.
I'll be looking into as much quick-dry gear as I can so all recommendations are welcome!
Do keep me updated!
Buen Camino.
Hey TomUK,
After doing plenty of research on here and google, I have found what appears to me to be the things that will get me from SJPDP to SDC. I've bought 2 Northface quick dry pants and 1 windproof jacket (Pants zip off at knees to become shorts), Salomon 'Speedcross 3 Ortholite' shoes, 3 Bridgedale socks and liners, 3 Adidas Coolmax walking shirts, Kathmandu 40litre backpack, and 4 Exofficio quick dry underwear, a silk sleeping sheet and a quick dry towel. I'm hoping for between 6 - 8 kilograms with toiletries. :)

Hey TomUK,
After doing plenty of research on here and google, I have found what appears to me to be the things that will get me from SJPDP to SDC. I've bought 2 Northface quick dry pants and 1 windproof jacket (Pants zip off at knees to become shorts), Salomon 'Speedcross 3 Ortholite' shoes, 3 Bridgedale socks and liners, 3 Adidas Coolmax walking shirts, Kathmandu 40litre backpack, and 4 Exofficio quick dry underwear, a silk sleeping sheet and a quick dry towel. I'm hoping for between 6 - 8 kilograms with toiletries. :)

I spent a fortune in Kathmandu on Camino gear, most of which I have since replaced during training.... Sadly they tend to focus on the 'recreational' market rather than serious walking / hiking. I have since found better gear at similar or lower prices through trial and error and researching here.

Spend lots of time researching before buying. I didn't :(

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I spent a fortune in Kathmandu on Camino gear, most of which I have since replaced during training.... Sadly they tend to focus on the 'recreational' market rather than serious walking / hiking. I have since found better gear at similar or lower prices through trial and error and researching here.

Spend lots of time researching before buying. I didn't :(
Glad I only got the backpack from Kathmandu then ;)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back