• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi All

Seeker-33-2012

Hi,
I am planning to do my first walk in mid March 2012. Has anyone walked around this time and had problems with the weather? Any suggestion about what to bring, etc?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
March is early, so the weather can be anything - blizzard, cold, dry, wet, or hot. Take enough layers of clothes to accommodate them all. A fair number of refuges will not open until April 1. There will be accommodations available, but you will need to be flexible in your plans and your walk. Check the internet sources for information on specific albergues. Hotels and hostales generally are open all year.

http://www.mundicamino.com/

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is approximately 800km (500 miles) and about 30-35 days walking but the time period depends on how far you can/want to walk each day and number of rest and/or sightseeing days.

There is another thread on this very question here.

Regards
Mig

Seeker-33-2012 said:
Hi,
I am planning to do my first walk in mid March 2012. Has anyone walked around this time and had problems with the weather? Any suggestion about what to bring, etc?
I walked at the end of Mar in 2010 from SJPP.

The preparation page at the Confraternity of St James is a good place to start http://www.csj.org.uk/planning.htm#take and then search this forum. Most questions have already been answered, some many times :) You will find almost as many packing lists as people, wildly divergent views, and people prepared to share their experience.

If you are well prepared, you should not have problems unless the weather is very severe. There had been snow storms in the Pyrenees the day before I left SJPP, and there was some conflicting advice about whether or not to use Route Napoleon. My friend wanted to play it safe, so we walked Route Valcarlos.

At the other extreme, the day I walked from Villafranca, it was around 33 deg C, and I only made it to La Faba before I decided to stop for the day.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back