• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi everyone new and veteran camino travelers i need help.

pazitive

Time of past OR future Camino
i plan to walk in late august 2016
I am planing to walk for the first time starting in the end of august. As for sure many of you experienced one the decision to walk has been made, many questions starting to rise. The planing makes you excited and confused..
if you can help me figure out few urgent questions I have for now it will be a great start and help.

1. i will be arriving from the east side of the united states... what is the best way to reach the SJPDP airport, train? it is a bit confusing in all the traveling information there is on line... if someone done that lately i would love to receive some tips.

2. should i book the first night at the SJPDP? suggestions?
3. I am giving myself 6 weeks for the travel... what airport i will need to fly out from? so I ca book my ticket now.

thank you for your time.

olga

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Personally, I would fly into Madrid and take the bus to SJPP FROM THE AIRPORT.

I would make reservations through Puente la Reina.

I would take the first day to Orisson and day 2 to Roncesvalles.

If Orisson is full I would book two nights in SJPP and use the shuttle.

I would make all those reservations the minute you know what day you arrive.

I would either fly home from Santiago or take a bus or train back to Madrid.

thankn you very much. i will look into flights to and from Madrid.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Olga, I will be walking about the same time as you, but I'm travelling from the west coast.
Here is my plan:
Fly into Madrid, arrive in the evening, and spend two nights in Madrid to recover from the long flight and jet lag. I plan to bring a suitcase for my pre and post Camino days, and I will either stay with the friend of a friend or find a hotel to stay at where I can leave my suitcase while on the Camino.

Then take the train to Pamplona. I have made a reservation at Pension Corazon Puro, outside of Pamplona. The owner offers a service which includes pick up at the airport, train or bus station, then they will drive you to SJPDP in the morning. This way I don't have to try to coordinate train and bus schedules, plus I'll get the benefit of their knowledge of the Camino.
I also have made a reservation at Refuge Orisson to break up the first part of the walk over the Pyrenees.

I'm estimating that it will take me 5 weeks to reach Santiago. I will be in Spain for just about 7 weeks, so I have enough time to travel to and from Madrid, take a rest day here and there, continue my walk to Finesterre, etc.

Hi Olga, I will be walking about the same time as you, but I'm travelling from the west coast.
Here is my plan:
Fly into Madrid, arrive in the evening, and spend two nights in Madrid to recover from the long flight and jet lag. I plan to bring a suitcase for my pre and post Camino days, and I will either stay with the friend of a friend or find a hotel to stay at where I can leave my suitcase while on the Camino.

Then take the train to Pamplona. I have made a reservation at Pension Corazon Puro, outside of Pamplona. The owner offers a service which includes pick up at the airport, train or bus station, then they will drive you to SJPDP in the morning. This way I don't have to try to coordinate train and bus schedules, plus I'll get the benefit of their knowledge of the Camino.
I also have made a reservation at Refuge Orisson to break up the first part of the walk over the Pyrenees.

I'm estimating that it will take me 5 weeks to reach Santiago. I will be in Spain for just about 7 weeks, so I have enough time to travel to and from Madrid, take a rest day here and there, continue my walk to Finesterre, etc.
Hi Trecile, thank you so much for this great information. I just checked following the previous lead flights to madrid and it seem it is a very good option. Since you have done already the booking you seem you are way ahead of me in the planning I would love to hear more if u have suggestions. hope we can meet along the way... I am really excited now.

Hi Trecile, thank you so much for this great information. I just checked following the previous lead flights to madrid and it seem it is a very good option. Since you have done already the booking you seem you are way ahead of me in the planning I would love to hear more if u have suggestions. hope we can meet along the way... I am really excited now.
I was lucky enough to have enough frequent flyer points to pay for my tickets, so I booked as soon as I decided I was going, because I didn't want to wait until the award tickets were all gone! In order to decide how long I wanted to be in Spain I added up my estimated days of walking, travel days, recovery from jet lag days, then added in a few more days as a cushion.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here is my plan:

Excellent plan.

I would stay night in SJPP.
FIRST DAY IN Orrisson sets the tone and you meet the fellow walkers that meander in and out of your journey.
Cheap flight from Santiago back to Madrid easy and convenient.
If you are a planning type person book ahead if you feel your feet lead you to where you should be then Wing it and enjoy the ride!!!
Pack light as everything you need is in Spain.
Good luck

I was lucky enough to have enough frequent flyer points to pay for my tickets, so I booked as soon as I decided I was going, because I didn't want to wait until the award tickets were all gone! In order to decide how long I wanted to be in Spain I added up my estimated days of walking, travel days, recovery from jet lag days, then added in a few more days as a cushion.
I was thinking to give me more time for rest on the way and to go straight from Madrid airport to pampolona and rest there... i will check into the place you suggested. thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would stay night in SJPP.
FIRST DAY IN Orrisson sets the tone and you meet the fellow walkers that meander in and out of your journey.
Cheap flight from Santiago back to Madrid easy and convenient.
If you are a planning type person book ahead if you feel your feet lead you to where you should be then Wing it and enjoy the ride!!!
Pack light as everything you need is in Spain.
Good luck
Thank you fro the reminder :) I do try to be less planing on these kind of journey. however would like to have a good landing place after the long flight... and all your suggestions are very helpful. thank you.

Here is my plan:

I'm following your route almost exactly, just a few days behind. Thanks for the info...I'm going to check out Pension Corazon :)

I am planing to walk for the first time starting in the end of august. As for sure many of you experienced one the decision to walk has been made, many questions starting to rise. The planing makes you excited and confused..
if you can help me figure out few urgent questions I have for now it will be a great start and help.

1. i will be arriving from the east side of the united states... what is the best way to reach the SJPDP airport, train? it is a bit confusing in all the traveling information there is on line... if someone done that lately i would love to receive some tips.

3. I am giving myself 6 weeks for the travel... what airport i will need to fly out from? so I ca book my ticket now.

thank you for your time.

olga

1. Well I did not take the best route I don't think but I flew from western Canada to Paris. Then took a train from Paris to Bayonne and @ Bayonne took a cab service to Saint Jean but the Cab service was very expensive since I couldn't find anyone else to share the cost on the way down by train.

2. Yes I would recommend booking in SJPDP. I stayed at Citadelle 21 which is simply an apartment with a spare room run by a mid-aged couple. They were very nice and the spare room they have is MASSIVE but the washroom is shared with them:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/citadelle21.en-gb.html?

I would also recommend booking at Orisson for your first night after walking. It breaks up the first walk quite a lot and the pilgrim dinner there is lovely. Note that you have to book to stay at Orisson: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

3. Well to the USA probably through Madrid. It depends if you also want to fly or bus from Santiago after as well. I bused to Porto, Portugal when I left the first time and flew with Ryan Air back to Madrid the 2nd time and flew home from Madrid, through Paris... but I was coming way west.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus.

Biarritz BIQ is the closest airport to SJPdP and has flights to many major airports in Europe.

The border crossing at Irun and Hendaye is where Renfe and SNCF trains meet. San Sebastian Airport EAS with frequent flights from Madrid and Barcelona is 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

So your mission is to figure out how to get to either Pamplona or Bayonne.

A critical factor to consider is how you will get home from Santiago.

Santiago has an airport SCQ with flights to various Major European airports and is connected by Renfe train and several bus companies to the rest of Spain.

Madrid is a good choice as it is central to both SJPdP and Santiago.

People often travel via London, Paris, Barcelona, Lisbon, Dublin and others ... its all well connected by train bus and discount airlines.

Personally I would book Orisson and the stay atRoncesvalles. Thereafter I would use the guide to the best Albergues on the Camino ( see downloadable resources) to book just head of you each lunchtime when you have an idea how much further you are prepared to go. Aching feet/ankles/legs and adverse weather could mean all your advance bookings will be up in the air!

I meant to say " then stay at Orisson" you can't book it but they should have enough beds. Booking too far ahead will spoil the spontaneity of your trip.
Definitely overnight in SNPDP spend the next day enjoying the town and set of for Orrison late morning or early afternoon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good idea to plan rest/tour days along major towns like Burgos, Leon etc...
I usually stay an extra day every 7-10 days....

I would first double check with Corazon Puro that they would pick up at the airport. Istvan will definitely pick up at the train and bus station.

thank you for your time.

olga
Hi Olga,
1. I walked the camino in 2014 and I think my information is relatively new. I flew from Toronto to Paris and without leaving the airport, I got on train to SJPDP. The airport in Paris (CDG) is connected with the train station, which is located on Terminal 2. The transfer from one terminal to the other is excellent. I had a ticket from Paris to SJPDP. I had to change the train in Bordeaux and Bayonne. Please note, in 2014, the train tracks in SJPDP were under maintenance so the train from Bayonne to SJPDP was out of commission. At that time, the holder of the train tickets were boarded on a bus and I took a pleasant bus ride from Bayonne to SJPDP.
2. I booked the first night at the SJPDP on line and I would NOT do it again. This little town thrives on the pilgrims. There are MANY places to stay. I stayed at Auberge du Pelerin for 16 euros, the breakfast of bread, jam and coffee was extra 6 euros. I would not book it again. There were other places for a better price.
3. Airlines. I find Air Transat to be the best for options and prices. You may consider getting to Montreal to get from there to Paris. Once you finish the camino, you may want to take a bus to Porto in Portugal (3 hour ride) and fly home from Porto. Air Transat has good deals on multiple city flights. If you have more question, please contact me again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Olga,,
I walked the CF Sept 2015, I flew into Madrid from Washington, DC. We spent 1 night in Madrid then took the train to Pamplona. We made a reservation with Corazon Puro and the owner pick us up from Pamplona train station then drove us to SJPP the next morning. We walked to Orisson and spend the night there, you must have a reservation. On the 2nd day we walked to Roncesvalles. We found that crossing the Pyrenees in 2 days was good for our body. We had no muscle pain and enjoyed the view so much.
Buen Camino.

I was thinking to give me more time for rest on the way and to go straight from Madrid airport to pampolona and rest there... i will check into the place you suggested. thanks again.
I recommend getting out of Madrid, unless you have never seen Madrid, and getting to Pamplona. Pamplona is a great place for spending a couple of days before you start walking.

I avoid staying IN Madrid when possible. It is a major world city and not nearly as calm as Pamplona, at least IMHO. Given a choice, I prefer staying at Pamplona.

At Pamplona, consider Hotel Eslava. I have stayed there several times. It is a small, family-run hotel like located at the Western edge of the "old town." The breakfast is very good. The rooms are clean and well-maintained, and the family members running the place are very helpful. English is also spoken by some. Mama just calls on one of her sons or daughters to translate. Hotel Eslava is located in a quiet area just off the Camino, just before you cross the "green belt" urban park and road that encircles the "older town." The Iglesia St. Lorenzo is on the corner. There are also one or two sporting goods shops nearby. You can book Hotel Eslava on Booking.com.

I hope this helps

thank you for your time.

olga
I flew out of Atlanta to Paris, then the high speed train to Bayonne (you can catch it right at the CDG airport), then changed to the local train to SJPP. Coming home I took the train to Madrid and flew back to Atlanta from there. Really easy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My first time, I flew in and out of Madrid, took the bus to Burgos, and then the bus from Santiago back to Madrid.

This time, I'm flying in and out of Madrid again, but will be taking the train to Pamplona, then the bus to SJPDP. I will likely take the bus back to Madrid again, since it is much less expensive than plane fare. I have my bed booked in SJPDP, but haven't booked anywhere else, although I've contemplated doing so in ValCarlos as well.

Beyond that , I don't think I can plan because it will all depend on how my feet do.

Blessings,

Ruth

I just finished a section of the Chemin du Puy and ended in Pamplona. I then travelled by train to Barcelona.

Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit for a few days. If I were advising someone traveling from a long distance, I would suggest, as one of the first posters did, taking a day or two to get over the flight and the jet lag that accompanies it. It's normal to concentrate on and be very excited by the prospect of starting a Camino, but I would say Madrid and Barcelona offer much more than Pamplona. A personal choice, of course. The Barcelona airport is served by public transport which connects it to the main railway station and to the subway system.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1. Well I did not take the best route I don't think but I flew from western Canada to Paris. Then took a train from Paris to Bayonne and @ Bayonne took a cab service to Saint Jean but the Cab service was very expensive since I couldn't find anyone else to share the cost on the way down by train.

2. Yes I would recommend booking in SJPDP. I stayed at Citadelle 21 which is simply an apartment with a spare room run by a mid-aged couple. They were very nice and the spare room they have is MASSIVE but the washroom is shared with them:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/citadelle21.en-gb.html?

I would also recommend booking at Orisson for your first night after walking. It breaks up the first walk quite a lot and the pilgrim dinner there is lovely. Note that you have to book to stay at Orisson: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

3. Well to the USA probably through Madrid. It depends if you also want to fly or bus from Santiago after as well. I bused to Porto, Portugal when I left the first time and flew with Ryan Air back to Madrid the 2nd time and flew home from Madrid, through Paris... but I was coming way west.

thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I recommend getting out of Madrid, unless you have never seen Madrid, and getting to Pamplona. Pamplona is a great place for spending a couple of days before you start walking.

I avoid staying IN Madrid when possible. It is a major world city and not nearly as calm as Pamplona, at least IMHO. Given a choice, I prefer staying at Pamplona.

At Pamplona, consider Hotel Eslava. I have stayed there several times. It is a small, family-run hotel like located at the Western edge of the "old town." The breakfast is very good. The rooms are clean and well-maintained, and the family members running the place are very helpful. English is also spoken by some. Mama just calls on one of her sons or daughters to translate. Hotel Eslava is located in a quiet area just off the Camino, just before you cross the "green belt" urban park and road that encircles the "older town." The Iglesia St. Lorenzo is on the corner. There are also one or two sporting goods shops nearby. You can book Hotel Eslava on Booking.com.

I hope this helps

It helps a lot. thank you very much.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I flew out of Atlanta to Paris, then the high speed train to Bayonne (you can catch it right at the CDG airport), then changed to the local train to SJPP. Coming home I took the train to Madrid and flew back to Atlanta from there. Really easy!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just finished a section of the Chemin du Puy and ended in Pamplona. I then travelled by train to Barcelona.

Barcelona is a wonderful place to visit for a few days. If I were advising someone traveling from a long distance, I would suggest, as one of the first posters did, taking a day or two to get over the flight and the jet lag that accompanies it. It's normal to concentrate on and be very excited by the prospect of starting a Camino, but I would say Madrid and Barcelona offer much more than Pamplona. A personal choice, of course. The Barcelona airport is served by public transport which connects it to the main railway station and to the subway system.

Thank you. I was checking Madrid flights but now will definetly consider Barcelona. I there a train to Pampelona

My first time, I flew in and out of Madrid, took the bus to Burgos, and then the bus from Santiago back to Madrid.

This time, I'm flying in and out of Madrid again, but will be taking the train to Pamplona, then the bus to SJPDP. I will likely take the bus back to Madrid again, since it is much less expensive than plane fare. I have my bed booked in SJPDP, but haven't booked anywhere else, although I've contemplated doing so in ValCarlos as well.

Beyond that , I don't think I can plan because it will all depend on how my feet do.

Blessings,

Ruth
Thank you Ruth very much.

Hi Olga,,
I walked the CF Sept 2015, I flew into Madrid from Washington, DC. We spent 1 night in Madrid then took the train to Pamplona. We made a reservation with Corazon Puro and the owner pick us up from Pamplona train station then drove us to SJPP the next morning. We walked to Orisson and spend the night there, you must have a reservation. On the 2nd day we walked to Roncesvalles. We found that crossing the Pyrenees in 2 days was good for our body. We had no muscle pain and enjoyed the view so much.
Buen Camino.

Thank you very much for this info since you walked aound the same time did you find it easy to find a room/bed it seem now it is a bit of an issue on the camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Olga,
1. I walked the camino in 2014 and I think my information is relatively new. I flew from Toronto to Paris and without leaving the airport, I got on train to SJPDP. The airport in Paris (CDG) is connected with the train station, which is located on Terminal 2. The transfer from one terminal to the other is excellent. I had a ticket from Paris to SJPDP. I had to change the train in Bordeaux and Bayonne. Please note, in 2014, the train tracks in SJPDP were under maintenance so the train from Bayonne to SJPDP was out of commission. At that time, the holder of the train tickets were boarded on a bus and I took a pleasant bus ride from Bayonne to SJPDP.
2. I booked the first night at the SJPDP on line and I would NOT do it again. This little town thrives on the pilgrims. There are MANY places to stay. I stayed at Auberge du Pelerin for 16 euros, the breakfast of bread, jam and coffee was extra 6 euros. I would not book it again. There were other places for a better price.
3. Airlines. I find Air Transat to be the best for options and prices. You may consider getting to Montreal to get from there to Paris. Once you finish the camino, you may want to take a bus to Porto in Portugal (3 hour ride) and fly home from Porto. Air Transat has good deals on multiple city flights. If you have more question, please contact me again.
thank you for this very valuable information

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA (ALSA) bus.

Biarritz BIQ is the closest airport to SJPdP and has flights to many major airports in Europe.

The border crossing at Irun and Hendaye is where Renfe and SNCF trains meet. San Sebastian Airport EAS with frequent flights from Madrid and Barcelona is 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

So your mission is to figure out how to get to either Pamplona or Bayonne.

A critical factor to consider is how you will get home from Santiago.

Santiago has an airport SCQ with flights to various Major European airports and is connected by Renfe train and several bus companies to the rest of Spain.

Madrid is a good choice as it is central to both SJPdP and Santiago.

People often travel via London, Paris, Barcelona, Lisbon, Dublin and others ... its all well connected by train bus and discount airlines.

Wow, thank you it is very valuable information.

I recommend getting out of Madrid, unless you have never seen Madrid, and getting to Pamplona........

I avoid staying IN Madrid when possible. It is a major world city and not nearly as calm as Pamplona, at least IMHO. Given a choice, I prefer staying at Pamplona.....

'horses for courses' ;)

This year we had 2 days in Madrid pre Camino and loved it. We stayed right in the old part of town. Great food and lots to see.

last year I started in St Jean and 'passed through' Pamplona, just staying the night and leaving early the next morning. Stayed very central.

Crowded, noisy, trash everywhere.....I just wanted to keep moving.

Maybe it was because I had already been walking a while and didn't like being in a big city...:oops:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just do not get everyone recommending that people stay in Orisson, unless you are arriving late into SJPP and want to get going. Orisson is only 8km out of SJPP and it appears most leave SJPP before 8 and arrive there in a couple of hours. The walk to Roncesvalles from Orisson is not difficult with the exception of the downhill about 2 km before arriving there. The alberque in Roncesvalles is one of the best on the Camino and most arrive by 3-4pm allowing lots of time to get cleaned up and relaxed before dinner and mass, if you so chose. Buen Camino!

As you can see, pazitive, there are a bunch of opinions here, so it can be confusing.
Personally, I went through Paris, caught a cheap flight to Biarritz, with a lift up to SJPP from Caroline at Express Bouricot...and then returned after my walk from Madrid.
It worked very well and was ridiculously easy.
But that's not either here nor there.
If money is tight, think sideways adn check RometoRio or Kayak.com for other options. I found (this spring) an incredibly cheap flight from Santiago to Zurich on Swissair, about 59$.
Deals like that are out there.
Connecting through GB or Ireland is a possibility since I keep reading here that RyanAir has flights to San Salvador and Biarritz and other places too, no doubt.

And...Orisson? I'm with @Dublin57 about that. Why? Get an early start and go to Roncesvalles either over the top or via the extremely beautiful and underrated (and authentically older) Valcarlos route.

I just do not get everyone recommending that people stay in Orisson, unless you are arriving late into SJPP and want to get going. Orisson is only 8km out of SJPP and it appears most leave SJPP before 8 and arrive there in a couple of hours. The walk to Roncesvalles from Orisson is not difficult with the exception of the downhill about 2 km before arriving there. The alberque in Roncesvalles is one of the best on the Camino and most arrive by 3-4pm allowing lots of time to get cleaned up and relaxed before dinner and mass, if you so chose. Buen Camino!
I'm staying at Orisson because I'm not planning on an early start from SJPDP. I will be staying at Pension Corazon Puro the night before, and the owner will drive me to St Jean after breakfast. Then I'll probably poke around the town a bit before I set out.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm staying at Orisson because I'm not planning on an early start from SJPDP. I will be staying at Pension Corazon Puro the night before, and the owner will drive me to St Jean after breakfast. Then I'll probably poke around the town a bit before I set out.
Trecile, did you confirm that Istvan will pick you up at the airport?? Seems to me when I spoke to him when I stayed with he and Barbara last year, he mentioned that he didn't usually pick up at the airport because of many late arrivals, but that of course may have changed, but do check….between my stay with them, then on to Beailari in St. Jean, there was no better way to begin my Camino….and it just kept getting better.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trecile, did you confirm that Istvan will pick you up at the airport?? Seems to me when I spoke to him when I stayed with he and Barbara last year, he mentioned that he didn't usually pick up at the airport because of many late arrivals, but that of course may have changed, but do check….between my stay with them, then on to Beailari in St. Jean, there was no better way to begin my Camino….and it just kept getting better.
I'll be coming on the train from Madrid. As soon as I can buy my ticket I'll net Istvan know what time I'll arrive.

People advising not to book ahead this year based on last year are absolutely wrong. Depending on the 'wave' you get intoI have seen person after person have to bus and taxi ahead after a hard day of walking. I have seen many tears.

This year is unlike anything I have seen.

I am in villafranca del bierzo last night. In Molinaseca, I saw 4 people turned away as we were completo.
Last night there was one empty bed because someone booked and did not show. In the meantime, FIVE PIKGRIMS WERE TURNED AWAY.

Since our group buses ahead several times, I have been in various 'Waves' and all have been crazy busy.

I strongly advise booking ahead at SJPP and Roncesvalles. Roncesvalles was FULL the night we stayed.

Talking to the folks who own our Albergue last night, it has been crazy busy but in general, May is busiest and things slow down in June.

One last comment. If you book a place and find alternate lodging PLEASE CALL AND CANCEL. Failure to do so is extremely bad karma as it means another pilgrim will not have a bed as it is being saved for you!!!

As you see @pazitive you can fly to Barcelona, Madrid, Paris and it is relatively easy to get to Sjpp.
Then back from Santiago. Get your flight on one through ticket/ multi stop ticket.

I guess it very much depends on heath and fitness.

A few years ago I could have made it to Roncesvalles in one go easily.

Last year I was older, not very fit and coping with Achilles tendinitis in both heels.

I could not have made it in one go without ending my Camino due to further injury.

After a break at Orisson I certainly felt like walking more, but for me it would have been a wrong move.

I think breaking the day in two is generally suggested for those who have fitness or health worries...... not everyone.

Also Orisson just seems a popular place to Stay.

I made it in 3 hours....even injured.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back